PDA

View Full Version : Helo Hog Hunt Charters?

30 cal slut
12-05-11, 13:43
Is there a directory for helicopter hog hunts?

I'm looking at one service in TX, but it requires a full day be spent on safety, with $350 associated tuition.

Thanks for your input.

xjustintimex
12-05-11, 14:25
this would be a cool experience. I would probably want the safety course :D

do you mind sharing the link to the one in texas?

30 cal slut
12-05-11, 15:58
http://www.vertexhelicopters.com/news-050211.html

J-Dub
12-05-11, 18:21
http://www.cedarridgeaviation.com/HeliHogHunts.html

Iraq Ninja
12-05-11, 18:31
Vertex is ok, but I sure as hell would not want to hunt out of a Robinson R-22 helo. I don't trust the tail to perform the way I want it to during a hunt, especially over wooded areas.

The Schweizer is good to go though.

There may be other options soon in Texas around Houston, especially once deer season is over.

xanderzuk
12-21-11, 19:02
Vertex is ok, but I sure as hell would not want to hunt out of a Robinson R-22 helo. I don't trust the tail to perform the way I want it to during a hunt, especially over wooded areas.

Simply from curiosity, could you expand on this?

Iraq Ninja
12-24-11, 11:51
Simply from curiosity, could you expand on this?

Sure, but let me first state that I work for a company that also provides Helo Hog Hunts north of Texas. Vertex is a good company, but we provide a lot more fun for the tactical style shooter/hunter. Just don't trust your life to hunting out of a Robinson...

The Robinson is an inexpensive helicopter that is commonly used by teach student pilots, or as a "ranch" helo for going from point A to B. It is not really designed for the dynamic flight requirements when hunting hogs. Robinsons don't do well in windy conditions and gusts.

Hogs normally run when they sense the vibration and noise of a helo. The chase is on at this point as they bolt hopefully across open fields. If they change direction, the pilot has to quickly change course to allow the shooter a good shot. The pilot and shooter work as a team like a sniper and spotter.

The R44 model has a high post crash fire hazard. You survive impact, but die from burns.

If you want specifics, I can ask our pilots for more details. Most commercial pilots snicker at the Robinson, at least that is my experience. They point out the poor tail rotor and note the high level of accident reports, the majority of which are listed as pilot error. Our fleet are Eurocopters, but we use a Schweizer 300 for the hog hunts.

Our hog hunts are starting up after deer season, north of Houston. I may be biased, but our hunts are economical and more fun if you like shooting tactical weapons. We are also a FFL/SOT and have a range at our cabin to allow clients to play with our toys.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Iraqninja/IMG_0540.jpg

Iraq Ninja
12-27-11, 09:24
Just talked with our pilots about the Robinson and hog hunting, so I could better articulate my recommendation not to hunt from them. One of them is a qualified Robinson flight instructor.

Bottom line is that people use the Robinson for hunting because it is inexpensive to own and operate, not because it is an excellent aircraft to hunt from.

It does ok at level flights in ideal weather conditions- not the best way to hunt hogs.

As one pilot said- "It does OK at flying until something goes wrong. It doesn't auto rotate well.The problem is when you get into high powered demand situations, especially with down wind components. The Robinson does not have good tail rotor authority."

randolph
12-27-11, 11:03
IN,
can you send me some info on the hog hunts ?

what else are you offering any one on one AR training ?

blasternank
01-15-12, 22:12
thanks for the links. I really want to do this.

MegademiC
02-01-12, 11:23
Iraq Ninja, a friend and I are trying to do a helicopter hog hunt soon. Can you send me a link or contact info to your company? I followed the link in your sig line and found nothing about it. Thank you.

Iraq Ninja
02-03-12, 12:39
I have gotten a lot of PMs about this, so I will post an update here...

We are finishing up the construction of the hunting lodge and the range, which can be used on your off time to shoot our weapons, provided you bring your own ammo.

The plan is to provide weapons, optics, suppressors, and NVGs to customers who don't have any, or maybe want to try out our Noveske 8" 300 Blackout with AAC 762-SDN-6.

The day hunts will be by Helo, and the nigh hunts on foot with NVGs.

With all the interest here, I am going to suggest to my boss that our first hunt will be a discounted, special event for M4carbine.net members.

We are planning to go live in late February or March, but no firm date is set.

MegademiC
02-04-12, 00:46
Out-fkn-standing. Me and my friend are planning on visiting a mutual friend in south texas, traveling via car, over spring break. Plan is to just show up for an hour or 2 helo-hog-assault. Break is middle of March so it sounds like you might start up the operation just in time. I'll keep checking back to this thread for further info for now.

We are pretty much dead set on it happening, just hope your company gets up and running in time:cool:, as opposed to other options.:(

30 cal slut
02-04-12, 17:12
I have gotten a lot of PMs about this, so I will post an update here...

We are finishing up the construction of the hunting lodge and the range, which can be used on your off time to shoot our weapons, provided you bring your own ammo.

The plan is to provide weapons, optics, suppressors, and NVGs to customers who don't have any, or maybe want to try out our Noveske 8" 300 Blackout with AAC 762-SDN-6.

The day hunts will be by Helo, and the nigh hunts on foot with NVGs.

With all the interest here, I am going to suggest to my boss that our first hunt will be a discounted, special event for M4carbine.net members.

We are planning to go live in late February or March, but no firm date is set.

AWESOME!

jonconsiglio
02-13-12, 17:02
I've hunted with Iraq Ninja on my buddy's land with night vision and suppressors. Absolutely a great time and a good guy that knows his stuff. I can only imagine how much better it wold be with a helo in the mix.

Iraq Ninja
02-26-12, 00:00
I wanted to give everyone an update on our helo hog hunts.

We will have a discounted hunt for M4carbine members. It will probably be one of the first hunts we do.

Concrete is being poured this month for the "pavilion" which will be for the BBQ pit and for showers, etc. The lodge is already done.

I am hoping the hunts will start in March. I will post updates here.

Our goal is to be the best helicopter hog hunting service in Texas. Our pilots are all current Houston Police Department pilots with lots of experience chasing two-legged game, so hogs will not be a problem.

If you are of the tacti-cool mindset, there will be lots of things to do when we are not flying. For instance, we are also a FFL-SOT and you will have access to our NFA weapons. All you have to do is provide your own ammo. There will be night hunts as well, but on the ground with our NGVs.

rocsteady
08-01-12, 20:49
Any updates? Sounds like a great time.

usmcvet
08-26-12, 18:52
I'm interested too.

Chrisollis
05-10-13, 01:23
Need to look into this as well. Might make it back out to texas again next year. What caliber and platform are you guys running primarily?

rocsteady
05-14-13, 09:39
There's another good thread going on more current heli-hoggin' opportunities but it's in the "general discussion" forum so some of us can't participate. How do we get the mods to move it to "hunting"?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=130899