PDA

View Full Version : A little clarification please

lungbuster
12-05-11, 16:44
I am in the market for a new upper. My problem is that living in rural KY only one of my buddies has an AR (bone stock brand, and he knows less than I do about AR's) and that a new range just opened up and they have two AR's period. So, no real knowledge to draw from.

The new range stated that they are going to offer some AR classes. My only two AR's are built for coyote hunting with heavier barrels, etc. So I would like to buy an upper for a range/fun gun. Something that I can throw a set of BUIS and the H-1 I already have and let it eat. I have a lower that I like so all I need is an upper.

I really like this one in lightweight

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Light-Weight-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw%20bfh%20vtrx11.htm

or this one

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh%20vtrx13.htm

So my question is, with the lightweight barrel, can it stand up to dumping a few 30 rd mags or could it become too hot and damage the barrel? Like I said this is going to be a range/fun gun and I plan on going and shooting some 30 rd mags with my buddies and taking some classes. I would like to save some weight if I could but if it would be better with a heavier profile barrel I understand that too.

I really like the looks of the two above. Just get a BCM BCG, Gunfighter CH and BUIS and that's it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

MistWolf
12-05-11, 17:18
Either of those uppers will work. They will get hotter as they have less capacity for handling heat, but will not suffer from undue damage or excessive wear as a result

Failure2Stop
12-05-11, 17:20
Those choices are very solid for your stated use.
The hammer forged barrels will deal with heat and wear a bit better than standard barrels as well.
I personally prefer the 13" HG, but the 11" will be a little lighter at the expense of forward placement of the support hand.

ra2bach
12-05-11, 20:43
check your PMs...

Outlaw621
12-05-11, 23:51
BCM makes some fine products. Personally I would go with the longer rail simply out of preference but you can't go wrong with either choice.

lungbuster
12-06-11, 07:56
BCM makes some fine products. Personally I would go with the longer rail simply out of preference but you can't go wrong with either choice.

Again, I'm really new to AR's specifically the tactical side. Two out of four responses suggest the longer hand guard. I assume this is for hand position? Maybe to put front sight out a littler further for longer sight radius?

Outlaw621
12-06-11, 08:01
Again, I'm really new to AR's specifically the tactical side. Two out of four responses suggest the longer hand guard. I assume this is for hand position? Maybe to put front sight out a littler further for longer sight radius?

Yes and Yes. It will also allow you to use accessories (lights, VFG, ect.) with a little more room for positioning.