PDA

View Full Version : best brands/components for precision build?

source2
12-05-11, 17:21
I want to buy or build a long range/precision style AR. Currently I think I'm leaning towards a DD free float rail system, 18 or 20" heavy contour barrel, Gesielle SSA-E trigger, and a Magpul PRS stock. Budget is a round $1500 (the closer I can keep it to $1100-$1200 would be ideal since I'd be able to afford better optics). What are my options and what would you guys recommend?

http://www.armslist.com/?utm_source=c000015&utm_medium=plink&utm_campaign=p011616

a0cake
12-05-11, 20:30
The heart of any precision rifle is the barrel. With your price range, you're not likely going to be able to get into the top tier barrels like Krieger or Bartlein.

But, for the price, you can't beat WOA, BCM SS410, or Ranier Arms Match barrels. All of these barrels will offer SUB-MOA performance.

My personal preference is for the BCM offerings. My BCM MK12 shoots every bit as accurately as my issued Douglas barreled MK12 Mod1.

No shit .5-.75 MOA 10 shot groups are normal and expected with match grade ammunition. Mine is partial to 77GR SMK's.

Now, nobody can choose barrel length and contour for you. The way you use your rifle will dictate these things. If you live at the bench, then you might as well get a 20'' heavy barrel. If you're going to be walking a lot, a 16'' barrel is VERY capable once you learn the dope and wind. I'm one of the few fans of the 18'' barrel length. Many find that a 16'' does everything they need. I'm used to lugging long guns around, so the 18'' doesn't bother me. Seeing a trend here? It comes down to YOU.

elnino31
12-05-11, 21:11
I'll give a +1 to the WOA barrels. They are sub moa in my experience.

I like the PRS, but the UBR is actually a pretty solid choice for an SPR imho. Doesn't feel as bulky and to me, feels more functional. They provide a good checkweld for me and lock up solid.

Iraqgunz
12-06-11, 00:55
What ranges do you plan on shooting it at and what's its' purpose? I ask simply because you can get a Noveske or WOA barrel in 16" length and it will more than likely be what you need. All you lose with the decreased length in reality is some muzzle velocity.

wetidlerjr
12-06-11, 05:34
I put this: BCM SS410 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ PRI 12" BLACK Handguard 1/8 Twist (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid16%20ss410%20pri12black.htm) on top of a BM lower I already had. Along with the Geissele SSA trigger I put in the lower, I have a top quality precision rifle that allows me to shoot to the best of my limited ability. :cool:

danish
12-06-11, 10:03
My three-gun AR is currently set-up with a 16" Rainier Arms Select barrel, Jard trigger, Magpul UBR, DD BCG, and a Troy TRX 13" fore end plus the lower and upper receiver the price came in at $1,070 plus some shipping. I have gotten sub-moa accuracy with the Rainier barrel and the Jard trigger is smooth. I too like the 18" barrel with the right profile but the 16" would probably be more than suitable...

source2
12-06-11, 17:57
I'll be shooting mostly at 300yds (max my local range is). Will I see any noticeable benefit in the slight velocity increase between 16" and 18" barrels at that distance?

a0cake
12-06-11, 17:59
Nope. You might as well get an SBR at that distance. Seriously.

lengthofpull
12-12-11, 19:08
Nope. You might as well get an SBR at that distance. Seriously.

I understand the point you are trying to make, but wouldn't the $200 for the tax stamp be better spent on optics/ammo?

a0cake
12-12-11, 19:10
I understand the point you are trying to make, but wouldn't the $200 for the tax stamp be better spent on optics/ammo?

Yeah. I wasn't actually suggesting to get an SBR, just making the point that you don't need a monster barrel to shoot at 300.

For your purposes, I would go with a 16'' BCM SS410 with whatever rail floats your boat.

ryr8828
12-12-11, 19:21
I'll be shooting mostly at 300yds (max my local range is). Will I see any noticeable benefit in the slight velocity increase between 16" and 18" barrels at that distance?

I have no problem hitting my 200 yard steel target with either my daniel defense v1 with c3 aimpoint or my daniel defense v5 with leatherwood cmr1-4x. That's all the room I have to shoot. They both have 16 inch barrels. My target is a 9:x13: silhouette, it's this one:

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8800&dir=1020|1022

Well I said 9x13, and the website ways 9x16. I don't know if I remembered wrong or they changed them. I guess I'll have to measure mine to see.

bp7178
12-12-11, 20:09
I would suggest a Vltor or Larue upper receiver.

The tolerances they are held to will be appreciated on any precision build.

They are more expensive, but if you're looking to save money I would suggest going with a lower cost rail, as opposed to a lower cost generic forged upper.

BCM barrels are actually made by a spin off of Kreiger, Criterion if memory serves, and by all accounts shoot very well.

MegademiC
01-09-12, 23:16
I have read a couple people state that the mike rock barrels that go along with the LMT MRP system are some of the most accurate barrels out... and this is from people who have shot many different makes of precission barrels.

That said, what size groups do you need? BCM is known to make precission barrels with outstanding accuracy and they are priced very well for the quality. I have no expericence with either yet, but just passing on some info Ive come accross. I was supposed to build a buddy a bcm and have some hands on with it, but his living room burnt down so that project is on hold for a while.:(

ALCOAR
01-09-12, 23:40
I'm quite the believer in Mike Rock 5R SS MRP barrels, they are single point cut rifled, and hand lapped. Its taken myself several years in order to finally be able to shoot to their full potential.

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/DSC00616-1.jpg

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/DSC00600-1.jpg

lebowski
01-17-12, 19:01
I put this: BCM SS410 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ PRI 12" BLACK Handguard 1/8 Twist (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid16%20ss410%20pri12black.htm) on top of a BM lower I already had. Along with the Geissele SSA trigger I put in the lower, I have a top quality precision rifle that allows me to shoot to the best of my limited ability. :cool:

I just ordered a very similar setup today. Only diff is 12" DD LITE rail on the BCM SS410 16" upper, and ssa-e on the BCM lower I ordered from grant.

Can't wait to shoot it, these threads have been helpful.

The Knuckle
02-11-12, 10:41
I think this would apply to this thread.

Is there any advantage to finding a larger bolt carrier that has tighter tolerances to the upper receiver?

And,

When searching for a barrel, why not cut the chamber shorter/closer to a mag length load? Similar to getting an overall case length gauge. So the bullet doesn't have to travel as far to hit the lands in the barrel

TangoSauce
02-13-12, 02:15
I like the Gesielle DMR trigger on precision rigs.

MegademiC
02-13-12, 08:39
I think this would apply to this thread.

Is there any advantage to finding a larger bolt carrier that has tighter tolerances to the upper receiver?

And,

When searching for a barrel, why not cut the chamber shorter/closer to a mag length load? Similar to getting an overall case length gauge. So the bullet doesn't have to travel as far to hit the lands in the barrel

1, Nothing I have read suggests this. Match barrel, ammo, and free float barrel are what makes an accurate gun. Of course some professional may know something I don't.;)

2, I believe that's what the wylde and other 5.56 match chambers are... unless I misread your question.

zombie killer
03-14-12, 15:55
At 300 you're not going to notice between 16-18. I will echo The capability of Rainier Arms barrels. Definitely spend the dough on Larue scope mounts and a good optic. I didn't buy good glass initially and now I'm regretting it.