PDA

View Full Version : Bugout Trunk Box contents

rjacobs
12-05-11, 17:52
I have been ruminating about getting a bugout box for the trunk of my car. This box would not leave the car, I would not be carrying it around, etc... I would be using some cable to "chain" it to the car. I am not worried about the added weight in the car as its a trade off to either be prepared or lose .5mpg.

I have put together a list of stuff after thinking and I posted this on one or two other forums(and got mostly negative remarks from people, nothing really constructive).

I have been looking at the 24gallon Rubbermaid Action Packer cargo boxes. I believe I could fit 2 in my trunk(based on measurements alone not physically having them to check) and still have room to put stuff in my trunk(suitcases/groceries/etc...). They have larger ones, but the cost of the 35 gallon is more than double what 2 24 gallon's would cost.

Anybody got something like this? Any better suggestions in that price range(they are $30 at Lowes).

Some things I am thinking of putting inside of it(this list is not all inclusive and feel free to add to it or disagree with having something in it):
Wool blanket(or some other type of blanket)
Tarp
Jumper Cables
Small tool kit with socket set/screw drivers/allen wrenches/pliers/wrenches/hammer/prybar/etc...
First Aid Kit(need advice on this)
Hatchet/camp axe(probably just grab a Fiskars and call it good)
Bowie knife(or machete)
GI type folding shovel
Compass
Signal Mirror
Whistle
250ft(or whatever length) spool of 550 cord
2 gallons of water(and maybe some water purification tablets or something like that)(some people have brought up issues with freezing in the winter, might remove it in the winter unless there are other suggestions)
Some type of food(looking for suggestions, MRE's?)
Nalgene Bottles(2 1 liter bottles, wide mouth)
5 pack of BIC type lighters and a flint type striker for starting fires(or some other manual striker type method)
dryer lint/cotton balls packed into one nalgene bottle for helping start fires
Extra clothing(thinking short sleeve t-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, carhartt pants, 2x underwear, 2x wool socks, 2x moisture wicking athletic socks, winter hat, gloves, one pair long underwear, boonie hat, GI style boots)
Rain Suit(Frog Togs or similar)
Fleece type jacket/pullover
Ammo can with the following:
-50 rounds of 12g buckshot
-50 rounds of 12g slugs
-50 rounds of 12g bird shot
-150 rounds of 5.56 loaded in AR mags
-100 rounds of .38 special
-100 rounds of 9mm
-100 rounds of .45
-Brick or 2 of .22lr
Batteries(not sure what all to get thinking 12 each: CR123, AA, AAA)(somebody mentioned only getting lithium type so they are heat/cold resistant)
Flashlight(not sure what kind, maybe a small CR123 Surefire or two)
Chem Lights
Toiletry kit(soap, toothpaste, tooth brush, deodorant, razor, shave cream, alcohol hand sanitizer, sunscreen, petroleum jelly)(toilet paper was suggested as well, but not sure on it)
Empty 3 day type Backpack(to use as an E&E bag with stuff already in the big tub)

Thats kind of a rambling list of crap I have been thinking of. Not sure exactly how much of it I would be able to fit in said box. Its a pretty good size box, but like I said, I think I can fit two in my trunk if need be.

I have gotten a lot of comments on the various ammo I am thinking of packing into an ammo can. I own a gun(or multiple guns) that use every type of cartridge I have listed. In a day to day situation I would either have a 9mm or a .38special revolver on me(or both). If my father was out with me he carries a .45. On a road trip I would generally have both of those plus a 12g and an AR. If I was truly bugging out I would also have a .45 on me. So the potential is there that I could use all of said ammo. If I got caught out without one of the said guns for the ammo, and the shit really had hit the fan, I could barter with the rest of the ammo. I own one .22lr, but there are so many .22lr's out there that not having something as cheap as a brick or two of .22lr doesnt seem smart to me.

PA PATRIOT
12-05-11, 19:36
The heat/cold that can occur inside your truck could kill a few of the items in your kit being,

Ammo
First Aid supplies
Bic Lighters
Food such as MRE's
Battery's
Toiletry items that are pressurized.

I would think ammunition manufactured to Military spec would have the best chance of surviving the heat/cold but I would try to insulate it and rotate it every 30 days.

First Aid supplies I have no real answer for protecting against heat damage over time, maybe one of are forum members have a suggestion.

Bic Lighters I would replace with a manual fire stater and some water proof matches.

I would suggest dropping the MRE's and go with a long term stable survival bar such as the ones the coast guard uses.

Standard Battery's with die quick when stored in extreme heat or cold. Lithium will last a bit longer for your lights but how much so depends on the quality of the battery.

If its pressurized the heat and cold will most likely burst the can or blow out the pressure plug. No answer for you there.

Rider79
12-05-11, 20:26
I have something similar in my trunk. I keep everything in a Sterlite container. I keep the backpack already packed though. I keep a set of clothes and boots in there as well.

rjacobs
12-05-11, 21:56
I went and bought one 24 gallon Action Packer, its not as big as I had hoped, but its bigger than I thought. I could fit two in my trunk, but that would take up almost the whole trunk. I may have to re-think my strategy here, especially the ammo, tools, and 2 gallons of water.

I think I can still carry all the pistol ammo and rifle ammo, but carrying that much 12g takes up a bit to much space. Might shrink it down to 25 rounds of buck and 25 rounds of slugs. I fit everything I wanted to in the ammo can, but the ammo can takes up to much space in the rubbermaid container. I think I may pack my pistol ammo in vacuum seal bags, same with the AR mags.

I really need to think through what tools I REALLY need vs. what I would like to have. I really want this 154 piece Craftsman tool set that has everything I think I would ever need, but I am sure it has a shit ton of stuff I would NEVER use.

North
12-06-11, 00:44
hope this helps but I have been contemptating making a very small bug out box for my vehicle as well. I have came up with this list.

Toilet paper
a ice breaker for the windsheild
550 cord
a knife
a screwdriver with various bits
razor blades
flares
bic lighters
a flashlight
some cliff bars

I keep loaded magazines close to me whether it be in the vehicle or on my person depending try of activity and clothing. My box will be very small and I don;t except to bug out or use it as a "get home box". If there is a SHTF situation local then the roads will be to ****ed for my small car to get me to a safe place. My list just gives me enough for what i need.

Reagans Rascals
12-06-11, 00:56
cheap blow up bed from walmart that can double as a raft when necessary with some collapsible oars.

rope
boots
flares
bolt cutters
crowbar
some planks of wood that can be used for anything from helping a stuck vehicle to making litters/splints
duck tape
more duck tape
shit ton of ziplock or other plastic bags
rubber bands to secure the bags when necessary
WD-40
probably a small jug of fuel or lantern oil
a really good pair of windproof/waterproof gloves
multiple pairs of cheap sunglasses/goggles
probably a case of canned food like chef boyardee or spam
space blankets
various caribiners and other attachment hardware
probably a container of some really good zip ties, for securing people or items

also try to fit in a metal ammo can of any size to use as and exigent wood stove... just cut a hole in one side and use a piece of flex pipe as a smoke stack, keep the flex pipe and the cooking containers inside the can when stored... learned that in the preparedness forum here

forgot to add an Atlas... or other detailed maps.. .I also like to have aviation sectional charts on hand because they show freqs and routes by both civil and military aircraft as well as airports and Military/ Government areas... which might help in a shtf situation

Moose-Knuckle
12-06-11, 03:28
The first thing that came to mind when I read your post was consolidate calibers. My CCW is 9mm and my truck gun is 7.62x39. So those are the only two calibers I keep in my truck. While I do own other weapons in different calibers I only keep what I have on hand in the vehicle preps.

You can also consolidate your tools; I keep a Leatherman (w/ accessories bits) in my truck’s BOB. You don’t need a whole tool set. If you get broken into you will lose less sleep if you had an inexpensive Stanley tool set lost rather than your good Craftsman’s. A ratcheting screw driver with multi bits will eliminate the need for a whole set of screwdrivers. I would also add a few cans of Slime and or Fix-A-Flat and an air compressor that can plug into your lighter port. As the seasons change you can rotate the clothing you keep in the car. A roll of electrical tape for good measure and might want to look at spare belts and hoses specific to your vehicle.

While I do keep and highly recommend a Gerber/Fiskars camp axe and folding spade I also keep a Gerber LMF II in my truck due to its blade length. In Texas you cannot have a blade over 5-1/2” in your vehicle or on your person. So I would check with local and state laws on such things before I start driving around with them in your trunk.

I would also consolidate on batteries, only keep extras in the same size of the devices you have on hand.

As for first aid, take a look at Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Pak, also places like The Tactical Medic and Austere Provisions Company have pre assembled kits at various price points.

rjacobs
12-06-11, 09:05
cheap blow up bed from walmart that can double as a raft when necessary with some collapsible oars.

rope
boots
flares
bolt cutters
crowbar
some planks of wood that can be used for anything from helping a stuck vehicle to making litters/splints
duck tape
more duck tape
shit ton of ziplock or other plastic bags
rubber bands to secure the bags when necessary
WD-40
probably a small jug of fuel or lantern oil
a really good pair of windproof/waterproof gloves
multiple pairs of cheap sunglasses/goggles
probably a case of canned food like chef boyardee or spam
space blankets
various caribiners and other attachment hardware
probably a container of some really good zip ties, for securing people or items

also try to fit in a metal ammo can of any size to use as and exigent wood stove... just cut a hole in one side and use a piece of flex pipe as a smoke stack, keep the flex pipe and the cooking containers inside the can when stored... learned that in the preparedness forum here

forgot to add an Atlas... or other detailed maps.. .I also like to have aviation sectional charts on hand because they show freqs and routes by both civil and military aircraft as well as airports and Military/ Government areas... which might help in a shtf situation

Good list, but honestly a bit overkill for what I am looking to do. Im not trying to survive out of this thing for months on end. Basically looking to make a 3-5 day kit of get home/bug out stuff. We keep our RV stocked with a TON of stuff similar to your list and its always full of fuel and potable water and we have a place we plan to head if things go south. This kit is to help me get to the RV or to help if I get stranded some where in say a blizzard or other general chaos where 3-5 days of stuff will get me through.

I will add duct tape and a crow bar to my list.

The first thing that came to mind when I read your post was consolidate calibers. My CCW is 9mm and my truck gun is 7.62x39. So those are the only two calibers I keep in my truck. While I do own other weapons in different calibers I only keep what I have on hand in the vehicle preps.

You can also consolidate your tools; I keep a Leatherman (w/ accessories bits) in my truck’s BOB. You don’t need a whole tool set. If you get broken into you will lose less sleep if you had an inexpensive Stanley tool set lost rather than your good Craftsman’s. A ratcheting screw driver with multi bits will eliminate the need for a whole set of screwdrivers. I would also add a few cans of Slime and or Fix-A-Flat and an air compressor that can plug into your lighter port. As the seasons change you can rotate the clothing you keep in the car. A roll of electrical tape for good measure and might want to look at spare belts and hoses specific to your vehicle.

While I do keep and highly recommend a Gerber/Fiskars camp axe and folding spade I also keep a Gerber LMF II in my truck due to its blade length. In Texas you cannot have a blade over 5-1/2” in your vehicle or on your person. So I would check with local and state laws on such things before I start driving around with them in your trunk.

I would also consolidate on batteries, only keep extras in the same size of the devices you have on hand.

As for first aid, take a look at Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Pak, also places like The Tactical Medic and Austere Provisions Company have pre assembled kits at various price points.

My only thoughts on consolidating calibers is that I am only talking 100 rounds a piece and in vacuum bags doesnt take up much space at all. The shotgun is what I am going to drop down to I think 25/25 buck/slugs. The rest I will keep the same. Im kinda not going to budge on what I want to carry on this.

I will checkout the leatherman type tools, I dont have one at all. Probably a better idea than a complete tool set. I could probably have one of those, a small socket set, and a screwdriver with multiple bits(I think I actually already have one with storage in the handle for bits). That would probably cover everything I would need.

I have checked out the Adventure medical kits. I just need to decide which one I want/need and I have no clue what I should be looking for. I know I need/want things like bandaids, gauze, tape, CPR mask(I am CPR certified), aspirin, quick-clot of some kind, etc... There are a shit load of things I probably dont need, but at the same time there are a shit load of things that I do need, but I just dont know what those things are.

PA PATRIOT
12-06-11, 16:29
A big kit in the vehicle is fine but if your ride craps out anything that can been seen makes you a target for those who don't have anything. Just remember if you have to abandon your vehicle you have to hump every thing out with you so weight is always a factor.

I would suggest that your personal kit be reduced to the bare minimums which can be concealed in a small pack. I would carry a single caliber with four or five hi cap magazines but that weapon would have to be concealable on my person in some way.

Low weight and low key will get you the furthest when traveling on foot power.

Moose-Knuckle
12-06-11, 17:14
My only thoughts on consolidating calibers is that I am only talking 100 rounds a piece and in vacuum bags doesnt take up much space at all. The shotgun is what I am going to drop down to I think 25/25 buck/slugs. The rest I will keep the same. Im kinda not going to budge on what I want to carry on this.

-50 rounds of 12g slugs
-100 rounds of 9mm
-100 rounds of .45
-Brick or 2 of .22lr

It's a free country, or at least that's what they keep telling me.

Carry as much ammo in as many calibers as you want. But unless you plan on hump'n a shotgun, an AR, a .22, and three different handguns what is the logic? If you have family members and friends ride with you at different times carrying guns in those calibers, then you can throw a bag of said caliber in at that time.

I carry 180 rounds of 7.62x39 in six mags and 67 rounds of 9mm in four mags and one round in the chamber. I can exit my truck if the situation warrants and not be bogged down with calibers of ammo they I cannot even use. It's not a matter of space it's a matter of utility. If I have any ammo at all in my truck I want to be able to fire it if I need it, otherwise it's just an after thought.

A big kit in the vehicle is fine but if your ride craps out anything that can been seen makes you a target for those who don't have anything. Just remember if you have to abandon your vehicle you have to hump every thing out with you so weight is always a factor.

I would suggest that your personal kit be reduced to the bare minimums which can be concealed in a small pack. I would carry a single caliber with four or five hi cap magazines but that weapon would have to be concealable on my person in some way.

This.

rjacobs
12-06-11, 18:41
I think I am going to pair down the ammo to:
25 rounds of slugs
25 rounds of 00 buck
5 AR mags loaded with XM193
100 38 special
100 9mm
100 45

While I do have a 22lr I cant see myself ever having it with me except maybe on a range trip. Only thing I could really see myself doing with it might be to trade it if the situation arose. The rest I have a use for and I rotate my carry guns quite often between an MP9, MP45 and a S&W 642.

I picked up a folding entrenching tool, 100' paracord and wool blanket today at the local surplus store.

PrivateCitizen
12-06-11, 18:46
I think I am going to pair down the ammo to:
100 38 special
100 9mm
100 45

While I do have a 22lr I cant see myself ever having it with me except maybe on a range trip. Only thing I could really see myself doing with it might be to trade it if the situation arose. The rest I have a use for and I rotate my carry guns quite often between an MP9, MP45 and a S&W 642.

I guess, but in terms of practicality, since you will likely have the 90 seconds to select one platform why not 300 9mm (.45, .38, etc?

Seems like you are trying to account for all possibilities while maximizing none.

rjacobs
12-06-11, 18:51
I guess, but in terms of practicality, since you will likely have the 90 seconds to select one platform why not 300 9mm (.45, .38, etc?

Seems like you are trying to account for all possibilities while maximizing none.

I never know which gun I am going to be carrying is my concern on the pistol ammo. I dont want to have 300 rounds of 9mm and have only the J-frame on me, same as I dont want to have 300 rounds of 38special and have a 9mm on me, etc... Thats where my thought process is on that.

Abraxas
12-06-11, 19:26
Ammo can with the following:
-50 rounds of 12g slugs
-100 rounds of 9mm
-100 rounds of .45
-Brick or 2 of .22lr
Slim down on the variety of ammo. You will have to cycle through any food you put in there

devilsdeeds
12-06-11, 19:51
What's the deciding factor if you take the M&P45 or 9? I understand going with a J frame sometimes. Pairing it down to two or three calibers will really help with minimizing the size and weight. Also if this will be used in freezing temperatures you should replace the bic lighters with zippos.

rjacobs
12-06-11, 21:46
Slim down on the variety of ammo. You will have to cycle through any food you put in there

Already have, its in one of my posts.

What's the deciding factor if you take the M&P45 or 9? I understand going with a J frame sometimes. Pairing it down to two or three calibers will really help with minimizing the size and weight. Also if this will be used in freezing temperatures you should replace the bic lighters with zippos.

Dont really have a deciding factor on going with the 9 or 45, just kinda switch it up sometimes.

On the lighters, I dont really know which way to go. Everybody seems to have a different opinion. Lots of guys say Bic lighters because the fluid in zippos can dry out. They say to stay away from Butane because if it gets cold, they dont work(I already know this as a cigar smoker). Why do you say to go to zippo's from bic's?

Im also going to have a fire steel type striker setup for starting fires. Not sure which way to go on this, but everybody says stay away from flint types since they wear out and fire steel theoretically doesnt.

photosniper
12-07-11, 07:01
here we go with the 9mm vs 45 again :no:

I'm going to suggest you look into Mountain House or other freeze dried meals to carry in your trunk box. I keep two or three in mine, along with a small backpacking stove, always. I've left them in there for two or three years and then eaten them, the heat/cold fluctuation doesn't bother them at all, plus the Mountain House meals taste a hell of a lot better than MRE's.
For water, I carry several of the foil packed emergency drinking water supplies that you can purchase via eBay or other 'survival' stores. Yep, they freeze and get warm, but I've never had one burst, they are a lot easier to store and transport than gallon jugs, and even if they are out of date, I can stick my SteriPen in it to make sure the bugs are dead. Might taste stale but it's water, no big deal

rjacobs
12-07-11, 08:58
here we go with the 9mm vs 45 again :no:

I'm going to suggest you look into Mountain House or other freeze dried meals to carry in your trunk box. I keep two or three in mine, along with a small backpacking stove, always. I've left them in there for two or three years and then eaten them, the heat/cold fluctuation doesn't bother them at all, plus the Mountain House meals taste a hell of a lot better than MRE's.
For water, I carry several of the foil packed emergency drinking water supplies that you can purchase via eBay or other 'survival' stores. Yep, they freeze and get warm, but I've never had one burst, they are a lot easier to store and transport than gallon jugs, and even if they are out of date, I can stick my SteriPen in it to make sure the bugs are dead. Might taste stale but it's water, no big deal

Not sure how you got out of this that we were having a 9mm vs. 45 debate since we werent, at all, at least not that I can figure.

I saw the mountain house meals locally last night, but wasnt sure on the quality, ill probably go pick up 2 or 3 of them. Any of the meals better than any of the others?

photosniper
12-07-11, 11:52
Not sure how you got out of this that we were having a 9mm vs. 45 debate since we werent, at all, at least not that I can figure.

I saw the mountain house meals locally last night, but wasnt sure on the quality, ill probably go pick up 2 or 3 of them. Any of the meals better than any of the others?

Was only joking about the debate :D

IMHO Mountain House are the best in freeze dried foods. I've been eating them on backpacking trips, fishing trips, etc for years. The best one I ever had was cooked on the tailgate of my SUV around mid-night the first night I was in Biloxi to cover Hurricane Katrina.
Anyway, If you like spicy the chili mac and cheese will make you wish for ice cream, and my favorites are the beef stew and beef stroganoff The nice thing about the FD meals is that if you must, you can mix cold water in and eat them, they just aren't as palatable.

reaver22
01-20-12, 15:54
since Winter is just now becoming more stable in the northern part of america and since I live in ohio where in the winter we can have anywhere from 3 to 2 ft of snow or more at a time I was wanting to put a winter kit/box together that will keep me and my family save from anywhere from one to 3 days safe in our vehicle until the emergency rescue can be made.

I dont know if packing a bag per person is best of just packing a rubber made box with clothing for everyone in it with a seperate container or bag with first aid and other kit items.

so far I have :
knife (fixed blade)
Zippo (with extra fuel)
300' para cord
Tarp
Clothing (weather specific)
road emergency kit with flares and reflective triangles
food for 3 days (for 4 people)
Flashlight (extra batteries)
4 GI Wool Blankets
Jumper cables
Tow lines
first aid kit (w/ meds for people who need them)
GI folding Shovel
Chem-lights

if anyone can think of something I missed please add something

Moose-Knuckle
01-20-12, 17:01
since Winter is just now becoming more stable in the northern part of america and since I live in ohio where in the winter we can have anywhere from 3 to 2 ft of snow or more at a time I was wanting to put a winter kit/box together that will keep me and my family save from anywhere from one to 3 days safe in our vehicle until the emergency rescue can be made.

I dont know if packing a bag per person is best of just packing a rubber made box with clothing for everyone in it with a seperate container or bag with first aid and other kit items.

so far I have :
knife (fixed blade)
Zippo (with extra fuel)
300' para cord
Tarp
Clothing (weather specific)
road emergency kit with flares and reflective triangles
food for 3 days (for 4 people)
Flashlight (extra batteries)
4 GI Wool Blankets
Jumper cables
Tow lines
first aid kit (w/ meds for people who need them)
GI folding Shovel
Chem-lights

if anyone can think of something I missed please add something

The plastic tote idea is a winner IMHO concerning stowing preps in a vehicle for multiple individuals. If cold weather is anticipated I'd supplement the Zippo in the event it goes tango uniform with a Strikeforce, Blastmatch, Swedish Fire Steel, Metal Match, NATO life boat matches, etc. Throw in some Sterno cans of gel fuel (for heat and cooking), Grabber hand warmers (as much for morale as warmth), and extra mylar emergency blankets.

tower59
01-20-12, 20:19
If you're driving a pick up, you don't have a trunk, but under your bench is a lot of usable space. The Du-Ha Underseat Storage system is awesome. For those of you who don't have one, get it! It's an ultra-tough, easy to install plastic bin that keeps all of your stuff hidden yet accessible under the bench. Even counts as a legal gun "case" in many states. Awesome.

LoboTBL
01-21-12, 02:16
I would add some type of multi tool, zip ties and duct tape. Also, you mention food for 3 days/4 people but no water. If you're only stuck for a day...not a biggie, 3 days...potentially a biggie. At a minimum, add a 5 gallon container of water or equivalent in smaller containers. I'm sure others will have some others ideas and I may think of others, but those jump out at me right now.

reaver22
01-21-12, 15:29
yeah sorry I have water in the back of the Jeep its a full bottle of moutain spring water for a water machine (like the one you get for in home use). I forgot about duct tape all together that stuff will do anything :laugh:, also added some zip-ties to the list along with a fire starter kit I made last night in a small pouch that has fire steel and striker, vasoline cottonballs, 10x10 piece of tin foil, matches and I am going to attempt char cloth.

also ordered two boxes of hand warmers along with some mylar emergency blankets

PA PATRIOT
01-22-12, 12:14
What type of food did you go with?

reaver22
01-22-12, 14:49
I have some Beef jerky and some energy/protein bars, I also picked up some jars of mixed trail mix (more for the kids).

thought about putting a small coleman stove with stuff to cook up some food if needed.

SIMBA-LEE
01-23-12, 14:31

All good ideas, but it seems to me that with regard to vehicle carry, a syphon hose and gas can should be among the essentials as well as oil and tire chains.

sandsunsurf
01-23-12, 16:57
I would definitely recommend the bolt cutters- nothing else will do when you need them! Road flares do double duty as they make great fire starters in an emergency, so I always keep a couple. Other than that, your kit is quite complete.

PA PATRIOT
01-23-12, 18:45
A lot of the recommendations are based on the vehicle being functional and with the O/P. There is no way the O/P will be able to hump out all the gear as recommended and stored. At most a vehicle kit should be built a round a medium sized back pack so if needed or forced the O/P can grab the pack and abandon the vehicle if the need arises.

Depending on the firearm the O/P is primarily going to use the kit should have loaded magazines and not loose rounds in a accessible easy to reach location on the pack as should the GSW kit.

A easy test is to drive your vehicle at posted speeds in a random direction with a timer set for 30 minutes. When the timer goes off park the truck and grab your pack and hump it home. Once home if you feel the pack was really slowing you down and your burned out its time to reduce weight.

Once your done that repeat the same drill but this time set the timer for 45 minutes and assess your condition once you get home.

If needed reduce the pack weight further and repeat until you can cover the distance and still feel you have something left in the tank should you be force to cover more distance.

Also run this same drill during the winter and the dead of summer to see what your water and clothing requirements will be.

Abraxas
01-23-12, 19:36
A lot of the recommendations are based on the vehicle being functional and with the O/P. There is no way the O/P will be able to hump out all the gear as recommended and stored. At most a vehicle kit should be built a round a medium sized back pack so if needed or forced the O/P can grab the pack and abandon the vehicle if the need arises.

Depending on the firearm the O/P is primarily going to use the kit should have loaded magazines and not loose rounds in a accessible easy to reach location on the pack as should the GSW kit.

A easy test is to drive your vehicle at posted speeds in a random direction with a timer set for 30 minutes. When the timer goes off park the truck and grab your pack and hump it home. Once home if you feel the pack was really slowing you down and your burned out its time to reduce weight.

Once your done that repeat the same drill but this time set the timer for 45 minutes and assess your condition once you get home.

If needed reduce the pack weight further and repeat until you can cover the distance and still feel you have something left in the tank should you be force to cover more distance.

Also run this same drill during the winter and the dead of summer to see what your water and clothing requirements will be.
Excellent advise but I would add, fitness plays a major part. Just because you are skinny or go to the gym doesn't mean you wont be cashed if you do this drill with NO pack. So there is a minimum to put in a pack and the rest is you getting out on a hump to build your endurance.

PA PATRIOT
01-24-12, 07:55
When we have time restraints me and the wife will walk with are packs on a tread mill for a solid 10 miles at a decent pace with out breaks. The tread mill we own has the ability to add inclines which adds to realistic training.

SIMBA-LEE
01-24-12, 14:52
Holy Cow! Drive 30-45 minutes and walk back with pack? I can be in Mexico in less than 30 minutes and I'm not going to backpack that far (20-35 miles) unless I have to. :no:

We plan on staying home unless WWIII hits our area. Why else would anyone drive/hike off to who-knows-where?

My question to those who plan on taking off instead of staying home is: where are you going to go and why do you think it's better than home?

xjustintimex
01-24-12, 15:15
Holy Cow! Drive 30-45 minutes and walk back with pack? I can be in Mexico in less than 30 minutes!!! In fact I just got back from Mexico, went to the dentista this morning, and I'm not going to backpack that far (20-35 miles) unless I have to. :no:

We plan on staying home unless WWIII hits our area. Why else would anyone drive off to who-knows-where? I've spent enough time as a big city street cop, and hunting Rocky Mountain wilderness areas, to know home is a lot more comfortable and safer than anywhere else.

I miss living in the valley. I would die for some arturos in Nuevo Progreso ;)

SIMBA-LEE
01-24-12, 15:23
Hmmmm?

PA PATRIOT
01-24-12, 17:42
I have been ruminating about getting a bug out box for the trunk of my car. This box would not leave the car, I would not be carrying it around, etc.

He's going to be using his kit as a bug-out box which is fine as long as his vehicle remains operational and is still in his possession. But the mission changes once his vehicle craps out or runs out of fuel. Now all you have is a large/heavy plastic tote to move your items about and I would say most of the items will be left behind due to weight and a lack of a suitable pack after only a few miles.

I have no doubt that Murphy's Law will be in full affect once the SHTF so the only real mode of transportation you can rely on is foot power barring any medical conditions or injury so being prepared ahead of time knowing what your physical limitations are and working on your endurance.

In my plan I have to decide in only a few minutes if we bug in or bug out judging the event on what limited information is available at the time as the urban roads will flood with fleeing motorists in short order so swapping out gear or changing the load out is a no go.

While we have preloaded totes and a roof cargo box to load into/on the truck I also have individual packs next to each member should we have to leave the vehicle behind in a hurry due to unseen events.

My recommendations to rjacobs is based on a bug out scenario were he would have some options should the use of his vehicle be unavailable due to unforeseen issues. The only way to know how you will react and endure the loss of the vehicle is to have a few practice runs were foot power comes into play.

Lone_Ranger
01-25-12, 00:40

I have no doubt that Murphy's Law will be in full affect once the SHTF so the only real mode of transportation you can rely on is foot power barring any medical conditions or injury so being prepared ahead of time knowing what your physical limitations are and working on your endurance.

Now you've got me thinking. I need a bugout saddle bag! Horses require no 'fuel' besides vegetation, are highly mobile, and can carry weight easily.

p22shooter30
01-29-12, 16:04

you got a great point. i am assumming that we cant drive anywhere. there are 100,000 people in fargo and if everyone is trying to leave at one time i would rather take my chances walking. if you do put everything in your box, make sure it is in a bag or two so you can grab it and walk. 72 hours is bullshit too. double that. food, water, shelter are most important. you dont have to carry water, but a good filter is a must.

SIMBA-LEE
01-30-12, 09:55
I'm still at a loss as to why people are planning on venturing off into the great unknown, instead of just staying home where all your food, supplies and friends are? Can you folks explain it for me? The only likely major disaster here on the border is a killer hurricane, and that might cause us to head farther inland for a few days, but maybe not even then.

rjacobs
01-30-12, 09:58
I'm still at a loss as to why people are planning on venturing off into the great unknown, instead of just staying home where all your food, supplies and friends are? Can you folks explain it for me?

do you NEVER leave your house?

If I am at my house I am not going to leave. I am not at my house quite a bit and when I am not at my house I have my vehicle with me(generally) so I want to have stuff in order to get me back to my house(or somewhere else I feel is safe).

p22shooter30
01-30-12, 10:35
I live in Fargo, a town of 100,000 people give or take. Most lots in town are 0.2 acres or less. which means there are a lot of people in a small area. that is a bad mix when there is no power and no water. it is also cold up here which means people will start heating their house with fires of some kind. image fires with no fire department or water. if i lived out of town and had 10 acres, then i would stay. or if i lived in a smaller community i would stay because people would band together. i don't, so i am assuming my family is gonna have to leave. i would rather be one of the first ones out of a big city before things get ugly. everyone has thier own situation, that is mine. and if i had to, there is no way to defend my house from an attack with my wife and I, if you really think about it - can you defend yours? not unless it is made of concrete or steal and had 5 people shooting out.

just look at NYC when the power goes out for two days. riots, looting, fires, murders. no thanks.

xjustintimex
01-30-12, 13:59
my plan is to get to my parents house 120 miles away as bunkering out in a college apartment doesnt sound solid to me :p in my case I just keep my gas tank full and some basic stuff in the car in case of car related emergencies.

I'm still at a loss as to why people are planning on venturing off into the great unknown, instead of just staying home where all your food, supplies and friends are? Can you folks explain it for me?

p22shooter30
01-30-12, 14:42
my only option is to try and make it 300 miles to my grandparents farm. If i cant make it, there is my uncles hunting shack half way there. another reason why i would want to be the first one out is maybe the roads would be travelable.

SIMBA-LEE
01-30-12, 15:30
Thanks guys, I was just curious.

Back years ago when that really bad hurricane hit near Miami a police buddy of mine was sent there to assist local LE. What he found was neighborhoods that had been partially destroyed were being protected by residents blocking the street entrances with vehicles and protecting their wives/kids/property with hunting rifles, etc. No cops anywhere around most of the time = too much damage, not enough cops. He said it worked fine since the criminals seemed more afraid of the armed residents than of the cops.

PA PATRIOT
01-30-12, 15:39
my only option is to try and make it 300 miles to my grandparents farm. If i cant make it, there is my uncles hunting shack half way there. another reason why i would want to be the first one out is maybe the roads would be travelable.

In my city I would think 20 minutes max if you lived in the outer sections once the event started until the masses hit the road in a panic.

The inner city they would have even less time maybe 10 minutes before the roads jam.

Thats why everyone needs some type of information system whether a emergency scanner that picks up police and fire bands were legal or a small radio set to a local news channel. Also most of the new weather alert radios have a channel were state or local authorities can transmit emergency messages which turn the unit on and send a alert tone just before the broadcast.

xjustintimex
01-30-12, 16:07
my plan is to get as close to san antonio as possible and then walk in if the roads are stacked once I get close to the city. Is this a bad idea?

reaver22
01-30-12, 16:12
I live in a small housing community right next to a air force base and with my prepping for my family I know we would be fine then I recently found out my neighbors across the street and next to them are military so I started to make friends I figured if shit hits the fans they would be a good asset to have.

If I need to head out I could travel to my families cabin on the lake to get away cabin sleeps 3 families (2 families comfortably).

PA PATRIOT
01-30-12, 16:52
I live in a small housing community right next to a air force base and with my prepping for my family I know we would be fine then I recently found out my neighbors across the street and next to them are military so I started to make friends I figured if shit hits the fans they would be a good asset to have.

Don't depend on military personal to stay home once the SHTF, most likely they will be recalled to duty asap and they would take their families with them as it would be safer for the wife and kids on base.

reaver22
01-30-12, 16:57
no not relying on them for help more like a pick there brains for information kind of thing.

loganp0916
01-30-12, 17:21
Thanks guys, I was just curious.

Back years ago when that really bad hurricane hit near Miami a police buddy of mine was sent there to assist local LE. What he found was neighborhoods that had been partially destroyed were being protected by residents blocking the street entrances with vehicles and protecting their wives/kids/property with hunting rifles, etc. No cops anywhere around most of the time = too much damage, not enough cops. He said it worked fine since the criminals seemed more afraid of the armed residents than of the cops.

You must be talking about Andrew back in '92 right?

Cause I done remember a situation like that since I've been here in south FL (1997).

p22shooter30
01-30-12, 18:05
The only three natural disasters we have in fargo are blizzards, floods and tornados; and this community has been thru those enough to learn we count on eachother for that so they do not concern me. Im more worried about more of a long term thing. that is why i do not have a stockpile of anything to last more than a week. instead i spent my limited funds on a good backpacking tent, sleeping bags, clothing, sleeping pads, camping tools, 2 ar15's and ammo and mags, pistols, 2 weeks of freeze dried food, etc... im geared up to leave asap and not come back. that is why everything is packed so we grab our bags, fill up water bottles, grab the rifles and dogs, and go. (praying it isnt in winter)

the next house we buy will be 30 miles outside of town atleast with 10 - 20 acres min then i can consider fotifying. but that will be 10 years down the road at least.

SIMBA-LEE
01-31-12, 10:32
You must be talking about Andrew back in '92 right?

Cause I done remember a situation like that since I've been here in south FL (1997).

I don't remember the name since I wasn't personally sent there. But it was quite a while ago. I'll ask my buddy since we still visit each other. He retired as a Captain from my old PD.