PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint magnifier options

eternal24k
12-05-11, 19:51
What is everybodies thoughts on off brand Aimpoint magnifiers? I am considering a Vortex magnifier since I am having a hard time stomaching the price tag of an OEM magnifier, especially since it does not need to maintain a zero and would not take me out of a fight if it failed.

99% of the time I go big or go home, but the holidays and a change of employment have hit me, and I am really starting to reconsider the value of the aimpoint magnifier.

BCmJUnKie
12-05-11, 20:04
I dont blame you. The price on the magnifiers is a little crazy.

Have you ever used an Aimpoint Mag.?

Once you do, you realize where your money went. Those things are SOLID!

I own one, I dont always use it.

A friend uses a Mako group magnifier. He swears that its awesome...just like anyone else defending their purchase.

So I dont really know how serious to take him. On top of that, his girl shoots his rifle as much as he does.

The rifle is taken to the range in its Cheaper than dirt soft case, and gets to destroy water bottles from 50 yards...so hes not exactly "hard" on his gear.

VIP3R 237
12-05-11, 20:12
I personaly havent used the vortex magnifier but I have been impressed enough with their other products that id say its worth a try. Ive also heard good things about the primary arms magnifiers.

loganp0916
12-05-11, 20:15
I have an aimpoint magnifier and it is SOLID.

Don't have any experience with off brand mags though. So I can't help you there, sorry.

loganp0916
12-05-11, 20:17
I dont blame you. The price on the magnifiers is a little crazy.

Have you ever used an Aimpoint Mag.?

Once you do, you realize where your money went. Those things are SOLID!

I own one, I dont always use it.

A friend uses a Mako group magnifier. He swears that its awesome...just like anyone else defending their purchase.

So I dont really know how serious to take him. On top of that, his girl shoots his rifle as much as he does.

The rifle is taken to the range in its Cheaper than dirt soft case, and gets to destroy water bottles from 50 yards...so hes not exactly "hard" on his gear.

What's the eye relief like on your mag? Mine is like a couple inches at best........normal?

BCmJUnKie
12-05-11, 20:18
Just so you know, I dropped my magnifer off of a CLIFF.

It has a huge chip out of the rear. Well, not huge but its pretty big.

Just sayin, its built pretty tough.

sammage
12-05-11, 21:50
Having used the Vertex VMX3, LaRue Po Boy (Hensoldt), and Aimpoint 3X. I can say the Aimpoint is worth it. Eye relief and focus are great. The Po Boy is good if you're on a budget.

BCmJUnKie
12-05-11, 22:09
What's the eye relief like on your mag? Mine is like a couple inches at best........normal?

I think its a couple inches.

I think its better than an ACOG.

I think its normal.

I mount my mag. to both the M4 and SBR. So its a little different for both

eternal24k
12-06-11, 07:01
Having used the Vertex VMX3, LaRue Po Boy (Hensoldt), and Aimpoint 3X. I can say the Aimpoint is worth it. Eye relief and focus are great. The Po Boy is good if you're on a budget.

I have a couple Hensoldts and I am really not impressed with the clarity.

I really should figure out what the eye relief on the Vortex is before I purchase, something I did not put much thought into

SRT
12-06-11, 12:46
Search this and other like forums and to find a lightly used Aimpoint
3X at a reasonable price. IMHO, the Aimpoint 3X is the only way to go. Buy the best, cry once...