PDA

View Full Version : Magpul UBR user feedback?

NoveskeFan
12-06-11, 05:20
So, I bought a Magpul UBR stock from a member here after handling one at a gun show a few weeks ago. The gun show UBR must have been a knock off or maybe a PTS model (at $215) as I remember it being a lot lighter than the one I just got.

Anyway, anyone that uses one have any problems with the tube coming loose from the reciever? I guess checking it after using isnt a big deal, just wanted some real world feedback. Any other issues? Its either going on my 14.5 mid length or pending SBR. Thanks for any info.

GermanSynergy
12-06-11, 05:48
I love mine and would recommend them to anyone looking for a rock solid stock. I did have the nut/screw work loose, but some green loctite fixed that right up.

Ordering another one as we speak, actually. :cool:

Robb Jensen
12-06-11, 05:50
The only way the rifle style receiver extension comes lose is if it's not torqued to be mil-spec of 35-39ft lbs. I've seen people "build their own lower" and only put it hand tight and have it loosen with hard use.

jwperry
12-06-11, 05:53
Threw off the balance of my SR15 with M600C and H1. The only way to 'rebalance' the rifle was if I added the Magpul AFG1.
It would be a suitable replacement for say an A2 stock IMO. Especially if you are looking for that much strength.

YMMV.

Cameron
12-06-11, 08:45
I have had 4 of them on various rifles from 10.5" to 18" and none of them have ever come loose when properly installed.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2544/5765735483_57a218f334_b.jpg

Cameron

Watrdawg
12-06-11, 09:09
I have one on my 14.5" BCM Middy and love it. It's rock solid. The only negative that I see for me is the weight. It is heavy. I have a 10.5" SBR coming and as soon as I get my approvals I'm going to swap out the present stock for a UBR.

camoman
12-06-11, 11:17
I've had my UBR for about 2 years, Never had one problem with it coming loose. If you have any doubt...just lock tight the ext. tube on. All in all I believe the UBR is one of the best stocks offered.

Ronin64
12-06-11, 11:45
I've always liked to look of these, but afraid of the weight!

Cameron
12-06-11, 12:28
Don't be afraid mate, they are not really heavy at all. An ACS weighs 1.14lbs a UBR weighs 1.63lbs less than 8oz delta.

So for a rifle with a longer barrel or rail or optic, the UBR can actually make the carbine feel better balanced. Everybody that has seen my rifles comments about how they thought they would be heavy, but is surprised by the great balance when they shoot them.

Cameron

BAC
12-06-11, 12:38
Weight is the only beef I have with the UBR. It is a fantastic stock otherwise. It would be pretty awesome if Magpul could trim half a pound off the thing and let it mount on standard receiver extensions (think lightweight UBR + Vltor A5 buffer system).

-B

NoveskeFan
12-06-11, 13:05
Thanks for the replies and sweet eye candy, Cameron.

To the suggestions of loctite and green specifically, wouldnt blue be a better choice as it doesnt require heat-just hand tools for removal?

Robb Jensen
12-06-11, 13:26
I use moly grease on the threads and torque to 35-39ft lbs.

NoveskeFan
12-06-11, 14:28
I use moly grease on the threads and torque to 35-39ft lbs.

I read the manual and did see where it said to not use a thread locker. I have a tube of the Shell grease and an armorers tool, just need a torque wrench...off to Lowes:D

MistWolf
12-06-11, 16:52
Thread locker on aluminum threads will make it difficult to remove later. I find that a little thread lube and proper torque followed up with torquing again once or twice after a couple three hundred rounds works well. (Don't loosen then re-torque, just torque)

NoveskeFan
12-06-11, 16:53
Thread locker on aluminum threads will make it difficult to remove later. I find that a little thread lube and proper torque followed up with torquing again once or twice after a couple three hundred rounds works well. (Don't loosen then re-torque, just torque)

Thanks for the tip!

wild_wild_wes
12-06-11, 17:46
The UBR is just too damn heavy. It is not practical or correct to use on what after all are supposed to be "lightweight" weapons.

Cameron
12-06-11, 18:24
I wonder if we should tell the Noveske Shooting Team to take their PRS stock off that are a third of a pound heavier than the UBR!! How could they possibly be competitive with such heavy stocks on AR15s!!!??!?! My God, don't they know 3 Gun competitions are about speed and accuracy?!?!?!

Damn these guys and their slow and heavy rifles! You would think they should know better! :nono:

http://www.noveskeshootingteam.com/photos/gallery/image_8.jpg

http://www.noveskeshootingteam.com/photos/gallery/image_3.jpg

http://noveskerifleworks.com/imimg/se-18nst-556_1d.jpg

Look at the ludicrous caption under this pic!!!
http://demigodllc.com/photo/WC3G-2007.02/small/D101_0232_img.jpg
7. The author's 17-inch MSTN Comp-Tac upper is light and fast; here Smith hammers a pair of 25-yard targets through the TA11 ACOG.

"Light and Fast" with a UBR what a moron! :nono:

:D

wild_wild_wes
12-06-11, 21:35
Meanwhile, back in the real world...
http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/vor033/US%20Army%20-%203/29a3e68a.jpg

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/vor033/US%20Army%20-%203/d8af68d1.jpg

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/vor033/US%20Army%20-%203/21a746ae.jpg

"Hey bro, I want a heavier rifle! Because it will balance better."
http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/vor033/US%20Army%20-%203/b065cddf.jpg

Ronin64
12-06-11, 22:52
I don't think those 3 gun shooters are going to be lugging those guns around on a perimeter for 12+ hours.

Surf
12-06-11, 23:16
Unfortunately the overly cited and incorrect torque specifications that was listed in an older military manual caused a huge proliferation of misinformation on torque specs that was passed around as gospel, especially on the www. So often inch lbs was substituted for foot lbs on torque specs which reflected as hand tight receiver extensions, failures and I believe led to the preaching of using red loctite on the extensions when a correct application of torque and staking on carbines as an example would be correct.

Having said that, I have only 2 UBR's. They are built like tanks, but heavy like a tank also. Understanding our uses for our weapons is a must. As the photo's above indicate, weight may not be as much of an issue under certain circumstances where our stages of fire might be very brief, but humping a rifle around for hours on end and weight, any weight no matter your balance point, can be burdensome.

Generalpie
12-07-11, 00:42
I don't think those 3 gun shooters are going to be lugging those guns around on a perimeter for 12+ hours.

No doubt about that. I spend a lot more time carrying mine than shooting it. For an search warrant entry or a regular building search about any weight if fine. A couple hours on an outer perimeter or a few miles on a woodland track and a pound seems like a lot.

FWIW, I am thinking strongly about the UBR on my precision coyote killer.

Joeywhat
12-07-11, 02:37
Why are people looking at things two dimensionally? There are more people in the world besides military and 3-gunners.

We get it...the UBR is heavy. For some people it works, others it doesn't. Not everyone is going to be on a '12 hour perimeter'. If you like it and it works for you then great...if it doesn't, then don't use it.

ryr8828
12-07-11, 05:37
I put a ubr on my DD V5 last night and don't really notice a difference in weight even though I know it's there.

Shoulderthinggoesup
12-07-11, 11:24
LOL @ Wes........

Ronin64
12-07-11, 11:31
Why are people looking at things two dimensionally? There are more people in the world besides military and 3-gunners.

We get it...the UBR is heavy. For some people it works, others it doesn't. Not everyone is going to be on a '12 hour perimeter'. If you like it and it works for you then great...if it doesn't, then don't use it.

Maybe because the thread is titled "Magpul UBR User Feedback"??

:blink:

PrivateCitizen
12-07-11, 11:39

"Hey bro, I want a heavier rifle! Because it will balance better."
http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/vor033/US%20Army%20-%203/b065cddf.jpg

Joking aside, this has the potential to be correct.

"Load-bearing" and "weight distribution" are a dynamic pair. Looking at things in terms of raw poundage is not always a good measure.

A balanced carry item on unstable terrain actually CAN make overall fatigue less even if it weight slightly more.

As an example: I backpack often. If I have a 40# pack of gear and the choice of a 4.5# pack that carries it well or a 2.5# that will have me uncomfortable after 15 miles (in that kind of terrain, mind you) … I'll take the 4.5# every days.

I don't give a flip about what my bathroom scale thinks of it.

Obviously I am not suggesting he max it out or any such thing … but these silly armchair platitudes are not helpful.

MistWolf
12-07-11, 13:20
Wes makes that point because the UBR stock does not change the point of balance of the rifle by much. Between the UBR and the CTR, the shift in point of balance is about an inch and a half. I notice the added weight more than I notice the shift in balance. That's comparing a fairly heavy stock with a fairly heavy one

UBR
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0005.jpg
CTR
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_00012.jpg

Cameron
12-07-11, 16:54

I didn't realize you were talking about an issued rifle that you would deploy with in the mountains of Asscrackistan...

Oh, you weren't.

Like I said most people that actually try my carbine are typically pleasantly surprised at how good the carbines feel and how easy they are too shoot.

They feel good like this:

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac61/gstuffnow/stock1.jpg

They feel not quite so good like this.

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac61/gstuffnow/stock2.jpg

Even my pixie wife preferred the Recce with the scope with the UBR over the CTR when I had her try them in the kitchen just now, (yep she is in the kitchen making me a sandwich :D).

Even pixies can handle a carbine with a long rail, scope and UBR stock...
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5166/5237354936_757da930a5_z.jpg

I have carried that Recce all day over a few days hiking in the Colorado Rockies at heights above 10,000ft, (shit I have even done that with an FAL) sure at times I wished I didn't have to carry a rifle at all, I even wished someone was carrying me sometimes! I have also run my SBR with the UBR is a 3 day carbine class, fired 2,000+ rounds and never once thought I should have had a different stock.

An SBR that is way too heavy for a slim chick to handle one handed with a UBR on it!

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5081/5237348030_7185bde8f0_z.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4120/4886502850_e7faea1dae_z.jpg

Cameron

cop1211
12-07-11, 19:17
I've carried a rifle with the UBR on it for 10 hours in full SWAT gear.

It's not that bad. Anything after 10-12 hours in a full loadout will feel "heavy".

JSGlock34
12-07-11, 20:23
I was impressed with the ease of the UBR's installation. I'd even consider it simpler for the novice to install, as it does away with the receiver end plate and the need for staking. It is an elegant design.

I had used it with a Noveske Recon which was set up with a bipod and variable optic as a precision rifle, so I was less concerned about the overall weight. However, it is not the stock I'd select for general use, as 8 oz is a significant addition to a ~7lb carbine, particularly when the weight does not come with any measurable performance gain. For some reason I just can't get too excited about stocks, as I find the piece of plastic that I jam into my shoulder has little effect on how well I shoot. Most designs (of which there are a dizzying number of choices) now offer a QD point and a rubber buttpad, which are the only features I think are tangible improvements to the M4 stock.

I'd be interested to see Magpul put the UBR on a diet a la the ACS-L. Were it comparable in weight to competitors, I think it would be a more popular option.

wild_wild_wes
12-07-11, 21:41
Wes makes that point because the UBR stock does not change the point of balance of the rifle by much. Between the UBR and the CTR, the shift in point of balance is about an inch and a half. I notice the added weight more than I notice the shift in balance. That's comparing a fairly heavy stock with a fairly heavy one

UBR
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0005.jpg
CTR
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_00012.jpg

Well, there you have it. MistWolf makes a very convincing point, and backs it up with quantified data.

MistWolf
12-08-11, 05:21
Thanks Wes, although that should have read That's comparing a fairly heavy stock with a fairly light one

Note to Self:
Wolf,
Proof read then post

Pappabear
12-08-11, 06:52
Make sure you have Mil spec if your gun is mil spec and comercial if comercial......

jwperry
12-08-11, 07:15
Make sure you have Mil spec if your gun is mil spec and comercial if comercial......

?

The UBR comes with its own receiver extension..

NoveskeFan
12-08-11, 08:07
Thanks to all for the input. I understand that a "boot" on the ground would probably want to keep weight to a minimum due to all the other gear that needs to be carried. I'm not too concerned with the extra weight of the UBR as my carbines are range and training tools. I am interested in seeing how it feels on my SBR, once the Form 1 clears.

Failure2Stop
12-08-11, 08:18
I am sick of post of pictures of dudes in combat as proof that lighter is the only way to go.
There are a lot more things to carry than just carbines;
A2s/A4s
SPRs
LMGs
MMGs
DMRs
203s

They are all heavier than an M4 or add more weight (203) than the UBR adds, and they go out to the same places as the guys with just M4s.

Don't want a stock heavier than the standard M4 collapsible? Great, don't get one. But to assume or insinuate that one has no idea what it is to run to the sound of the guns because they prefer a different stock is asanine.

wild_wild_wes
12-08-11, 08:27
The only component it makes any sense to add weight to is the barrel, and then only if you require enhanced consistent accuracy. Adding weight to a telescoping stock does not improve the effectiveness of the weapon...so why would you do that?

djegators
12-08-11, 08:59
The purpose of the UBR is to add weight? Some like the stock due to the way it compliment certain setups. Some like the unmoving cheek weld. Some like the sturdiness of an A2 stock with adjustability. Some just like the way it looks or feels, and some don't like it all. But to say, based solely on weight that it should not be used, doesn't make sesne to me. The wonderful thing about ARs is the many options and customization to suit each person's needs and wants. There is no "one best" setup.

Failure2Stop
12-08-11, 10:01
The only component it makes any sense to add weight to is the barrel, and then only if you require enhanced consistent accuracy. Adding weight to a telescoping stock does not improve the effectiveness of the weapon...so why would you do that?

If that weight improves durability/robustness, cheek-weld, solidness of mount, and head position in relation to optics, it can very easily be justified and accepted.

Now, I'n not saying that I would stick a UBR on my work M4, but a SOPMOD is worth it in my opinion. Doesn't mean that anyone else has to hold the same opinon, and the opposite is also true.

sgtbutt
12-08-11, 10:23

Someone above posted that they were Hunting up in Colorado, WY isn't much different, just alot less assholes all over, sorry guys. This past October my brother and I were hunting in Medicine Bow National Forest west of Laramie. Elevation up there is in the 9-10,000 range depending on location. And when I say hunting we were hunting.

Our routine consisted of going nearly straight up a hillside closest to camp to get up top as quickly before morning. There is dead fall everywhere, and snow and ice to top it off, in order to get up top where we seen the most sign. Once up top we scouted out a bit, then moved on. In an average day we would go 8-10 miles easily, with GPS to prove our trails. We went out in the morning, and didn't come back till nearly dark. It was good 12-13 hour days and was brutal, but weight and fatigue were mitigated to the fullest extent.

Boots and pack played an enormous role in hunting for me. I wear Oakley boats and are as comfortable as any good tennis shoes. My Eberlestock was packed with food, water and hunting gear. Someone mentioned backpacking, that if the pack supports weight better use it.

So where does all this rambling go, especially in a thread about the UBR? I have 2 now, one on my Mega MA-Ten Mono and one on my 6.8. I packed my 14.5 ish lb Mega around just fine.

Weight is relative to what you are doing. Using a heavy pig prone is no problem as is packing around a super lightweight carbine. There can be comprimise in the middle however. A carefull selection of your entire gear should be as closely scrutinized as the every part going into your weapon. I've seen guys with Colt/BCM/LMT etc but then use crap ammo, shitty gear, don't have any real cleaning procedures with caked on carbon everywhere. It's up to you the end user to ensure you are setup in the best possible way.

The features and benefits of the UBR for me outweigh any weight concerns, no pun intended. And for what it's worth, I had the PRS on my Mega and felt it was too "bulky". My Mega balances amazing well, even for its weight. I'll continue to pack it around hunting in anything other then blizzard conditions, then "The Duke" comes out, my 45-70 guide gun.

Here they are, 6.8 still has additional parts/equipment to be added or swapped,

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx320/sgtbutt/Mobile%20Uploads/Resampled_2011-12-04_15-08-44_806.jpg

Ronin64
12-08-11, 12:00
A lot if good posts. I would like to try one in my 6940, but I made a previous post about the rifle being too heavy lol. I just wanna see how it feels and "balances" compares to my ACS.

Waylander
12-08-11, 12:33
I always thought I wanted a UBR but I would shoulder a rifle with one installed before I jumped on it. I'd also take a good look at the Ergo stock that came from a Magpul design.
I'm so used to my VLTOR and SOPMOD that I don't like anything without that awesome cheek weld. The UBR felt awkward because I'm so accustomed to putting my face at the back of the stock that I kept instinctively putting my face down in the dead space behind the UBR cheek-weld where you're supposed to.

MistWolf
12-08-11, 14:34
I think adding an UBR just to place more weight in the butt for balance is inefficient. But I do like the UBR because it's more comfortable than the CTR and being adjustable, it's more versatile than the A2. The UBR is also one of the sturdiest AR stocks. For my precision rifle, the UBR is a better choice than the other two. On the carbine, the UBR offers the same advantages but I prefer the weight savings of the CTR. If Magpul could find a way to shave a few ounces off the UBR, I would probably mount it on everything.

sqwerl, the cheek piece of the UBR can be removed and moved rearward. Counting the original location, it has three positions. Mine is mounted on the furthest one back because I find it to be much more comfortable

Waylander
12-08-11, 14:39
I think adding an UBR just to place more weight in the butt for balance is inefficient. But I do like the UBR because it's more comfortable than the CTR and being adjustable, it's more versatile than the A2. The UBR is also one of the sturdiest AR stocks. For my precision rifle, the UBR is a better choice than the other two. On the carbine, the UBR offers the same advantages but I prefer the weight savings of the CTR. If Magpul could find a way to shave a few ounces off the UBR, I would probably mount it on everything.

sqwerl, the cheek piece of the UBR can be removed and moved rearward. Counting the original location, it has three positions. Mine is mounted on the furthest one back because I find it to be much more comfortable

Nice to know! That's the first time I've heard of that feature.
Yep they should've worked on a UBR-light instead of an ACS-light. And I'd like to be able to use my own end plate.

NoveskeFan
12-08-11, 14:46
Magpuls product description...reading between the lines, one can see "heavy", but fat chicks need love too:D, and I like everything about the UBR so far:

"The Magpul UBR...is a fully-featured, adjustable butt stock for the AR15/M16. Unlike typical collapsing stocks, this modular design offers the stability of a fixed stock with consistent cheek weld in any position. Seven-position length-of-pull (LOP) adjustment is quickly executed with gross motor movement while the integral preset system allows direct access to a preferred position. A robust lock mechanism and multi-shell construction increase durability under severe impact conditions experienced during malfunction clearing and accommodates large-bore AR calibers with ease. The UBR also provides extra counterbalance weight to improve handling on full-length rifles and weapons with muzzle-heavy accessories or bull-barrels. Optional components such as dual-side sling mounts and metal strike plate allow the UBR to adapt to the mission at hand."

MistWolf
12-08-11, 15:12
This is the cheek piece in it's original position. It's up all the way against the receiver
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Liberty/ProjectAR.jpg

This shows the cheek piece in it's most rearward position. You can see the gap between the cheek piece and the receiver
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/ARCarbineUBR.jpg

Magpuls product description...reading between the lines, one can see "heavy", but fat chicks need love too:D, and I like everything about the UBR...[/B]

The UBR isn't fat. It's "big boned"

Cameron
12-09-11, 01:13
I can't believe it!

I just watched the show 3-Gun Nation on Versus, and it was just like a world gone completely crazy. Here was this tiny 16yr old girl Katie Harris competing in the multigun nationals and you guys won't believe the crazy shit that was going on!

She as shooting her competition AR that was equipped with, you won't believe it, a Magpul UBR!!! That's right, the heaviest monster stock in the world, being used be a 16yr old girl in the 3-Gun national championships!

I'm starting to think that people who stridently proclaim the UBR to be too heavy may not have actually tried one, or perhaps used one on a very heavy carbine to start with.

http://3gunnation.com/assets/shooter/large/KatieLead2.jpg

http://3gunnation.com/assets/news/Harris_Rifle_Thumb_1.jpg

http://3gunnation.com/shooters/shtr_katie_harris
CAREER HIGHLIGHTS & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Superstitous Mountain 3-Gun -* High Lady,* High Junior
Blue Ridge Mountain 3-Gun - High Lady,* High Junior
CMMG 3-Gun Championships - High Lady, High Junior
MGM Iron Man - High Lady
Rocky Mountain 3-Gun - 3rd Lady
AR15.Com Pro-Am -*High Lady, High Junior
Ozarks 3 Gun Championship - High Lady, High Junior
Won Numerous local and Regional Events

Cameron

viperashes
12-09-11, 03:44
I've been heavily concidering the UBR lately because I like the functionality of it, but I've been bugging the hell out of myself thinking about something. Totally relevant, but I'm not going to go into it until I know if I can get my idea will work, can someone post a picture of what the inside of the cheek piece looks like please?

NoveskeFan
12-09-11, 03:51
I've been heavily concidering the UBR lately because I like the functionality of it, but I've been bugging the hell out of myself thinking about something. Totally relevant, but I'm not going to go into it until I know if I can get my idea will work, can someone post a picture of what the inside of the cheek piece looks like please?.
I'll get some up when I get home from work, unless someone beats me to it.

viperashes
12-09-11, 03:58
I'll get some up when I get home from work, unless someone beats me to it.

Thanks buddy. Much appreciated. :)

NoveskeFan
12-09-11, 07:08
I've been heavily concidering the UBR lately because I like the functionality of it, but I've been bugging the hell out of myself thinking about something. Totally relevant, but I'm not going to go into it until I know if I can get my idea will work, can someone post a picture of what the inside of the cheek piece looks like please?

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w354/jamesbaezan/IMG_0154.jpg

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w354/jamesbaezan/IMG_0155.jpg

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w354/jamesbaezan/IMG_0156.jpg
The piece is backwards on the tube^

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w354/jamesbaezan/IMG_0157.jpg

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w354/jamesbaezan/IMG_0158.jpg

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w354/jamesbaezan/IMG_0159.jpg

Cameron
12-09-11, 07:59
Something people may not be aware of, is that there are 3 different sizes cheek pieces that come with the UBR, allowing for a custom fit for cheek weld.

Cameron

NoveskeFan
12-09-11, 08:09
Something people may not be aware of, is that there are 3 different sizes cheek pieces that come with the UBR, allowing for a custom fit for cheek weld.

Cameron

Do they still sell the stock with the extra pieces? I thought they just ship with one now. Wonder if they would ship me the extras as I only have the one pictured above...:confused:

viperashes
12-09-11, 08:31
http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w354/jamesbaezan/IMG_0154.jpg

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w354/jamesbaezan/IMG_0155.jpg

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w354/jamesbaezan/IMG_0156.jpg
The piece is backwards on the tube^

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w354/jamesbaezan/IMG_0157.jpg

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w354/jamesbaezan/IMG_0158.jpg

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w354/jamesbaezan/IMG_0159.jpg
Awesome pics, thank you.

Cameron
I would have to use the narrow cheek piece, because it's roughly the same profile as the CTR/MOE, but my plan is to install a LaRue RISR on the UBR. From the pictures, I would need to mill out the inside "rail" of the cheek piece to get the capture bar to sit inside. Until I can actually get my hands on the kit itself I'm thinking that is how I may have to do it. I may actually be able to get the RISR to mount directly to the receiver "sheath" minus the cheek piece and get it to work. It will take some minor modification, but I know I can get it to work if I play around with it a little bit.

Do they still sell the stock with the extra pieces? I thought they just ship with one now. Wonder if they would ship me the extras as I only have the one pictured above...:confused:
They should. You can probably order them. I would either contact them via email or see if you can catch Dozer or one of the other guys here on the forum.

LukeInAZ
12-09-11, 08:39

I purchased mine a couple of months ago and it did not come with extras. This stock is rock solid. No wiggle or play at all. Adjustments feel solid and snap in tight. Weight with the rest of the rifle feels just fine. YMMV.

Dozer
12-09-11, 09:12
Cameron

This is no longer the case. We stopped making the additional cheek pieces years ago.

Cameron
12-09-11, 10:23
This is no longer the case. We stopped making the additional cheek pieces years ago.

Thanks for the clarification. I have had my UBRs for quite awhile, which would explain why I got the extras with mine. I think I use the medium cheek piece on all 4 which is probably the one they now ship with.

Cameron

KingsideRook
12-09-11, 11:50
I'd love to see a next - generation receiver extension for the UBR that would accommodate the A5 buffer assembly...

viperashes
12-09-11, 14:34
Dozer - Since I have you in here. Obviously I plan on doing some "voided warranty" type modification/fabrication. Have you seen anyone personally try to do what I'm attempting to do? I know that it's "possible" I'm just trying to gauge how difficult this modification is going to be if I choose to do it. The Magpul snap on cheek risers "will fit" but obviously hinder charging handle operation. I'm just wondering if it's even worth screwing around with.

Anyone have a CTR/MOE with LaRue RISR and a UBR that they'd be willing to take side-by-side pictures of. I have all kinds of crazy ideas in my head, this RISR/UBR mod being one of them, but actually seeing it with my eyes, and seeing it my head are two different things. Another reason being in the desert sucks. I can't tinker with my toys. :lol:

Cameron
12-09-11, 19:01
Remembered I had this gratuitous Magpul UBR stocks photo...

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac61/gstuffnow/ARFamily2.jpg

MikeCLeonard
12-09-11, 19:24
Cameron,

How does your SBR balance with the UBR? I'm curious where general fulcrum would be on a 10.5-11.5" AR similar to yours...as I've considered using an UBR with a 10.5" MRP. The MRP's are a bit front heavy...and I thought an UBR might really make them feel sweet.

Also...anyone else know if there is any possible way to fit a VLTOR A5 extension inside the UBR or is the top-sleeve closed at the end?...preventing a longer extension tube from being properly seated inside it. Obviously, if possible...it would prevent total collapse of the stock...but that wouldn't be a problem for me.

Dozer
12-09-11, 20:22
Dozer - Since I have you in here. Obviously I plan on doing some "voided warranty" type modification/fabrication. Have you seen anyone personally try to do what I'm attempting to do? I know that it's "possible" I'm just trying to gauge how difficult this modification is going to be if I choose to do it. The Magpul snap on cheek risers "will fit" but obviously hinder charging handle operation. I'm just wondering if it's even worth screwing around with.

Anyone have a CTR/MOE with LaRue RISR and a UBR that they'd be willing to take side-by-side pictures of. I have all kinds of crazy ideas in my head, this RISR/UBR mod being one of them, but actually seeing it with my eyes, and seeing it my head are two different things. Another reason being in the desert sucks. I can't tinker with my toys. :lol:

Unless you have some of the slim cheek pieces that were provided with the fist few UBRs, you will not be able to make the CTR cheek riser fit on the UBR without heavy modification. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Robb Jensen
12-09-11, 20:32
I use a Magpul UBR stock on both my KAC SR15E3 and BCM midlength LW (carbines almost set up 100% the same. Both have BCM H-buffers and 'blue' Sprinco chrome silicone buffer springs). These are very smooth shooting carbines. I'll soon be rebarreling my 3gun rifle with a BCM SS410 18" rifle gas barrel and switch from ACS on a A5 extension to a Magpul UBR stock with a H buffer a "blue" Sprinco buffer spring.

viperashes
12-09-11, 22:10
Unless you have some of the slim cheek pieces that were provided with the fist few UBRs, you will not be able to make the CTR cheek riser fit on the UBR without heavy modification. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I figured as much. Another member here on the site got ahold of a Magpul PTS stock for the slim cheek piece and installed it on his SIG to mount a Magpul cheek riser. Obviously this specifically wouldn't work with an AR, and I think it's fairly obvious that the PTS line isn't made for firearms but all else aside, how would the cheek piece hold up compared to how the non-PTS cheek piece would?

EDIT: For those that don't get why I want to do this, don't wrack your brain. Yes, it's pretty much a solution in search of a problem. Mostly, I just want to see if I can do it.

wild_wild_wes
12-09-11, 23:16
If Magpul could find a way to shave a few ounces off the UBR, I would probably mount it on everything.

Yes...I wonder if Magpul came out with a lightweight UBR, if the people who say they are just fine with the current version would get rid of their current ones and go for the new one...because its lighter :D

Dozer
12-10-11, 00:44
Yes...I wonder if Magpul came out with a lightweight UBR, if the people who say they are just fine with the current version would get rid of their current ones and go for the new one...because its lighter :D

And I wonder if people would still complain and say it's still too heavy.

Iraqgunz
12-10-11, 00:55
Robb,

Why the change up? I actually did the opposite and went from the UBR, Springco and H3 buffer to a Vltor A5, IMOD and H4 buffer.

I use a Magpul UBR stock on both my KAC SR15E3 and BCM midlength LW (carbines almost set up 100% the same. LBoth have BCM H-buffers and 'blue' Sprinco chrome silicone buffer springs. These are very smooth shooting carbines. I'll soon be rebarreling my 3gun rifle with a BCM SS410 18" rifle gas barrel and switch from ACS on a A5 extension to a Magpul UBR stock with a H buffer a "blue" Sprinco buffer spring.

Cameron
12-10-11, 01:52

Missed the bit about a 16yr old 3-Gun champion running a UBR did you? I gotta say if a petite 16yr girl runs anything on her 3-Gun rifle I would be hesitant to say it was too heavy for me.

Cameron

Hawg_Leg
12-10-11, 05:10
I had one on my SR15 and really liked the ergonomics.
wish it was a little lighter, but it is a great piece of kit.

dway
12-10-11, 07:15
Missed the bit about a 16yr old 3-Gun champion running a UBR did you? I gotta say if a petite 16yr girl runs anything on her 3-Gun rifle I would be hesitant to say it was too heavy for me.

Cameron

Is that one of the extra cheek pieces that used to come with the UBR? It looks like the back part is higher than the one that came with mine.

Also, notice that she didn't even take the storage compartment doors off to save a little weight. Silly girl:rolleyes:

Ronin64
12-10-11, 09:54

Cameron

Well looks like I should try a UBR now and not complain about weight :)

Dozer
12-10-11, 09:55
Is that one of the extra cheek pieces that used to come with the UBR? It looks like the back part is higher than the one that came with mine.

Also, notice that she didn't even take the storage compartment doors off to save a little weight. Silly girl:rolleyes:

It looks like she added a piece of foam or some other type of pad to it.

wild_wild_wes
12-10-11, 17:11

Cameron

I saw it but dismissed it as irellevant. The M-14 used to be standard issue, and it was quite heavy. You can make an AR as heavy as an M-14, but why would you. M-16s were concieved as lightweight rifles, for good reasons.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/306/ip13.jpg

This is type of "champion" I admire :D :D

BAC
12-10-11, 19:30
I get that a 16 year old girl competed and won with a UBR-equipped stock. That does not change the fact that the stock itself is 23oz. If made lighter, the UBR would be significantly more popular. If Magpul figured out how to make it mount on standard receiver extensions, they'd never keep them in stock.

-B

Joeywhat
12-10-11, 21:06
If it was significantly lighter and mounted to a standard extension than it wouldn't be any different then any other stock currently available...the UBR is what it is because it's durable as hell and offers 'preset' stock positions...things I doubt you'll get in a lightweight stock mounting to a carbine extension.

Belmont31R
12-10-11, 21:27
Shooting a competition string for 30 seconds to a couple minutes does not equal humping the gun all day and spending an entire year it with by your side.

No offense to her. I saw her shoot at the LT 3 gun shoot as she was on the same squad as Cold. I used to shoot competitions as a junior and its always nice seeing kids out there involved in something like this. In fact Im wearing a buckle I won as a junior shooter right now.

I do like the UBR for a precision gun, though. Just wouldn't want one on my SR15 or other similar type of gun.

MistWolf
12-10-11, 21:57
...If Magpul figured out how to make it mount on standard receiver extensions, they'd never keep them in stock.

They come with the entry extension which is the same as a standard rifle extension but is carbine length.

I took my carbine out today and shot it. The aluminum of receiver extension was very cold and uncomfortable- enough that I'm giving serious thought to getting another UBR- cost (and weight) be hanged

wild_wild_wes
12-11-11, 00:00
I do like the UBR for a precision gun, though.

If Magpul combined the UBR with the PRS, that would be brilliant!

The PRS is great, and I will be using one on my AR10 build, but a greater range of LOP would be a godsend, so you could get in many more shooting stances, especially hasty ones.

BAC
12-11-11, 02:26
If it was significantly lighter and mounted to a standard extension than it wouldn't be any different then any other stock currently available...

Except for the cheek weld, which is why I love the UBR. I'm not asking for it to be lightweight, only for 6-8 ounces to be trimmed off. At or right around the 1 pound mark would be a significant improvement.

But hey, if Magpul wants to go all out and make a UBR-L that weighs in with the ACS and can be put on an A5 receiver extension, I'll buy a few. :p

-B

g-men10455
12-11-11, 02:46
Any one who would like to lighten up their stock I'll trade my Magpul ACS for your UBR. I don't mind the extra weight.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin

Shabazz
12-11-11, 08:22
UBR = 2.2 pounds of me being tired

Dozer
12-11-11, 09:02
UBR = 2.2 pounds of me being tired

2.2lbs? How so?

NoveskeFan
12-11-11, 09:22
I believe its just over 1.5lbs. Also, wouldnt the body condition to carrying the extra weight?

svtpwnz
12-22-11, 22:37
I really love mine, however, I'm not humping it around for 12 hours a day either.

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr7/honkonthree/photobucket-7813-1324413331258.jpg