PDA

View Full Version : BFG VCAS Sling with sewn in QD?

Eurodriver
12-06-11, 07:37
I have a Blue Force Gear VCAS sling and its the best sling I've ever used. I like that the QD sling swivel is sewn in, but I can't find anymore like that.

Is having a sewn in sling swivel that important? I like the peace of mind that it offers (as someone who has had one come undone and watched his muzzle slam into the deck in front of someone important)

Edit: After searching, I've found Grant sells them and I ordered one from him. I think BFG discontinued them. I'm still curious as to whether or not having a sewn in QD point has any benefits (or cons) over non sewn slings.

scottryan
12-06-11, 08:55
I don't like the sewn in swivels as it prevents me from installing the sling on a gun that doesn't have sockets if I have to in a pinch.

wahoo95
12-06-11, 09:07
I don't like the sewn in version.....it cost more and as already mentioned lacks versatility. Properly set up it should not unthread. I also like being able to add a BFG 2 to 1 adapter....which really makes the Vickers sling the best of both worlds.

On another note, converting one to a sewn in type is as simple as sewing it in yourself or having it done at your local alterations or shoe repair shop.

Watrdawg
12-06-11, 09:12
I have both the sewn in version and the other version and like them both. I don't know if I prefer one over the other. I would guess it's personal preference.

C4IGrant
12-06-11, 09:13
I have a Blue Force Gear VCAS sling and its the best sling I've ever used. I like that the QD sling swivel is sewn in, but I can't find anymore like that.

Is having a sewn in sling swivel that important? I like the peace of mind that it offers (as someone who has had one come undone and watched his muzzle slam into the deck in front of someone important)

Edit: After searching, I've found Grant sells them and I ordered one from him. I think BFG discontinued them. I'm still curious as to whether or not having a sewn in QD point has any benefits (or cons) over non sewn slings.

They are the best and you have me to thank for them. :dirol: We asked BFG to modify the Vickers sling and have them sewn in.

The sling is commonly referred to as the G&R Version. :D

C4

st1650
12-06-11, 10:50
They are the best and you have me to thank for them. :dirol: We asked BFG to modify the Vickers sling and have them sewn in.

C4

I thought it was LaRue that was the first to order them with QD sew-in.

Anyways you guys have to get with the program and make some with the QD sew-in and the Mount n-slot 2pt to 1 pt adapter with 1.5" webbing and comfy padding.

wahoo95
12-06-11, 10:59
Yeah they should make the 2 to 1 adapter a standard option.....I love it.

C4IGrant
12-06-11, 11:06

Anyways you guys have to get with the program and make some with the QD sew-in and the Mount n-slot 2pt to 1 pt adapter with 1.5" webbing and comfy padding.

You are thinking of another company. LT does not sell this sling.

C4

JEL458
12-06-11, 11:13

FYI, LaRue had the QD swivels sewn on to the VTAC sling, not the VCAS. (Grant and I were typing simultaneously I see).

I use the sewn versions and like them a lot. Most of our rifles and shotguns at work have the non-sewn versions. Both are good slings, I just prefer the G&R version.

orionz06
12-06-11, 11:14
I'm still curious as to whether or not having a sewn in QD point has any benefits (or cons) over non sewn slings.

I really like them, no plastic buckles to deal with, just the parts you need. I have a few now and all of my guns have stocks with QD sockets, Noveske end plates, and some form of a socket up front. The gun can be slick in 10 seconds or have a sling in the same time.

st1650
12-06-11, 11:25
You are thinking of another company. LT does not sell this sling.

C4

Possibly, I got mine in 2007, IRC Magpul were selling them on their website too but I believe they were on LT old old website too.

Well, I'm running it on my HD SBR on a Noveske QD plate and I still love it. I also got a Husky padded, very similar design, wish they build it with QD sew-in too. Time will tell if it survive as long as my VCAS.

arizonaranchman
12-06-11, 13:11
I really like them, no plastic buckles to deal with, just the parts you need. I have a few now and all of my guns have stocks with QD sockets, Noveske end plates, and some form of a socket up front. The gun can be slick in 10 seconds or have a sling in the same time.

I agree. I love the padded VCAS with the sewn-in QD's. It keeps the sling sleek and free of loose ends, etc. Outstanding quality and easy to use. All my AR's are being transitioned to this sling.

Eurodriver
12-06-11, 13:55

C4

I agree, this is the only sling I've ever tried that I am completely satisfied with. The MS2 has its flaws, and I like that there are no "leftovers" to get in the way next to each sling swivel. Its all very sleek and clean.

bobbo
12-06-11, 14:13
I don't like the sewn in version.....it cost more and as already mentioned lacks versatility. Properly set up it should not unthread. I also like being able to add a BFG 2 to 1 adapter....which really makes the Vickers sling the best of both worlds.

On another note, converting one to a sewn in type is as simple as sewing it in yourself or having it done at your local alterations or shoe repair shop.

This is the answer that works for me also. I bought the "G&R" version and was very happy with it... Until Mount and Slot came out with their 2 to 1 tri-glide and I wanted to run it.

acaixguard
12-06-11, 15:43
I have the VCAS sling that has one QD swivel sewn in. The other end is standard like any other sling.

As I always plan on using a QD attachment in the front, this is a non-issue for me. as for the rear, I originally planned on not using an QD, which is why I got this model. However, I now use a QD on both ends. I just bought a second QD sling swivel and I'm good to go.

TehLlama
12-07-11, 08:09
I got mine in 2008... still the sling on my go-to rifle (different rifle now, only common parts are the sling and rear BUIS). I now have four more.

If the non-sewn in didn't require bulky plastic (on the front part) to work ideally, I'd have just gone that route.

I think BFG closed out the majority of their sewn-in QD models on black firday, even the Cobra Buckles versions, so I'm not sure if they're keeping the design moving forward, but BFG isn't known for unresponsiveness when it comes to customer wants - which is why they have so many flavors of VCAS slings, and all are well liked by their owners.

wahoo95
12-07-11, 08:28
DSG Arms has them in stock if anyone is looking for any.

Also converting the sling of your choice to a sewn in QD style is as simple as doing it yourself or taking it to the local shoe repair store as they have the extra strong thread and machines to stitch it...cost you $5-10 at most.

Noodle
12-08-11, 10:44
I just picked up the VCAS sling (not padded) with the QD attachments sewn in on both ends. I have an LMT 2000 Defender with QD mounts all over the place. This sling is excactly what I was looking for. Very simple and functional!

I picked it up directly from Blue Force Gear only a couple of weeks ago but I see they are not listed anymore? As already noted, they can currently be found at G and R Tactical and DSG Arms.

Great sling!!

wilson1911
12-10-11, 11:32

C4

Mr. G&R can you insert a link to that sling, for the life of me I cannot find it on your site. This will be my first sling. Or should I wait until the new wider model hits the shelves ?

C4IGrant
12-10-11, 11:37
Mr. G&R can you insert a link to that sling, for the life of me I cannot find it on your site. This will be my first sling. Or should I wait until the new wider model hits the shelves ?

Here you go and thank you for supporting a forum sponsor!

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=BFGE

C4

Eurodriver
12-10-11, 13:21

Unless you have an eleven pound almagamation of mall ninja awesomeness, I wouldn't wait. I am perfectly content with the sling as it is now.

FWIW, this is the exact sling I have. (I just bought a 2nd one)

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=VCAS-PB-AA

kaltesherz
12-11-11, 00:51
I've been using an original VCAS since 2007 and a friend from M4C just got me a padded model with sew-in QD, holy crapping christ it's amazing.

Best

Sling

Ever.

patriot_man
12-11-11, 01:06
I had someone local sew in the QD points on my sling... I wouldn't mind using the buckles with separate QD swivels if the end of the sling didn't point forwards rather backwards. If I tighten it all the way there's too much material hanging out.

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g338/patriot_man/2-BLFVCAS1AACB.jpg

wilson1911
12-11-11, 17:13
I've been using an original VCAS since 2007 and a friend from M4C just got me a padded model with sew-in QD, holy crapping christ it's amazing.

Best

Sling

Ever.

So the padded one is better than the regular one ? Dam I sound liike a nub. Is it just a comfort issue or will it affect the sling movement ? i.e. using the sling.
Can you pro and con this for me ? i will wait until you reply before I order.

wahoo95
12-11-11, 17:33
So the padded one is better than the regular one ? Dam I sound liike a nub. Is it just a comfort issue or will it affect the sling movement ? i.e. using the sling.

Purely personal preference .......I like the padded slings for comfort.

bleaman225
12-11-11, 17:35
I had a local guy sew in my QDs. Yes, it does appear as though he ran them through his sewing machine with the aim and precision of an aging alcoholic but they are solid and I trust the stitching to hold.

That being said, had I have known about the offering from GandR, I would have just bought them.

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu29/benleaman/Cheltenham-20111211-00250.jpg

Eurodriver
12-11-11, 19:04
That being said, had I have known about the offering from GandR, I would have just bought them.

When you add the $30 for the going price of (2) Sling Swivels its an extremely good deal.

Now if UPS would just deliver it.......

wilson1911
12-11-11, 19:30
Just ordered the padded sling. Can't wait until it gets here.

kaltesherz
12-11-11, 20:53

If your sling is going to be rubbing against your neck, i.e. no armor or wearing a plate carrier, padding is much less abrasive and more comfortable. I don't get "neckburn" when I transition anymore which makes me a happy camper.

PS- "Nub" is spelled Noob...

Moose-Knuckle
12-31-11, 20:04
Anyone know why BFG has discontinued production on the QD and Cobra VCAS?

Just wondering, I have cleaned house on the BFG Last Calls with these slings. :cool:

AMMOTECH
12-31-11, 20:13
I followed along with part of this video for my front/foward mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-byR-1ywp7c

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/AMMOTECH/STA73126.jpg

SteadyUp
12-31-11, 20:43

Best

Sling

Ever.

I had a similar moment of enlightenment when I purchased my padded VCAS w/ sewn-in QD. The sewn-in QD made the whole sling seem so much more low-profile and tidy. The standard padded VCAS is still a damn fine sling, but I'm going with sewn-in QD from now own.

I wouldn't call the padded one "better" than the regular VCAS, but I do prefer the padded version. It really does come down to individual preferences. I like the added comfort of the padded version. Although if the sling was for an SBR/lighter carbine, I'd probably consider a non-padded version.

Anyone know why BFG has discontinued production on the QD and Cobra VCAS?

Just wondering, I have cleaned house on the BFG Last Calls with these slings. :cool:

Your guess is as good as mine. I'd like to know too. Grant does have some QD models in stock though.

Hmac
12-31-11, 21:21

I'll thank you. It's a great concept. Just that much less redundant webbing to tape up. I too was disappointed that I couldn't find another one on the BFG web site.

Moose-Knuckle
12-31-11, 21:50
Your guess is as good as mine. I'd like to know too. Grant does have some QD models in stock though.

I'm good, I got the last one in FDE that Google could find. I cleaned house on the BFG Camo Green clearance and their Cobra Last Call.

Edit to add: The padded VCAS with sewn in QD is the cat's meow. Shame they are not making them any longer.

kartoffel
12-31-11, 22:38

Grant, I had no idea but THANK YOU. I picked up a green one a while back when there was a big sale going on (at BCM?, your shop?, sheesh I can't remember). Anyhow, thanks for planting that suggestion.

C4IGrant
01-01-12, 16:42
I'm good, I got the last one in FDE that Google could find. I cleaned house on the BFG Camo Green clearance and their Cobra Last Call.

Edit to add: The padded VCAS with sewn in QD is the cat's meow. Shame they are not making them any longer.

They will still make them for us. ;)

C4

Moose-Knuckle
01-02-12, 00:42

C4

Good to know, thanks! And good on you for suggesting a dedicated QD in the first place.

JEL458
01-07-12, 20:23
Grant,

I am in need of a couple of these slings for my guys. Any idea when you will get them in stock again?

wahoo95
01-07-12, 20:33
DSG Arms has them in stock, however G&R pricing is better.

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/BFVCAS-PB-AA-BK.aspx

JEL458
01-07-12, 20:53
Thanks!

DSG Arms has them in stock, however G&R pricing is better.

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/BFVCAS-PB-AA-BK.aspx

tusk212
01-08-12, 13:53

C4

Any time table?

C4IGrant
01-08-12, 18:27
Any time table?

We will be ordering them by the case at Shot.

C4

JW1069
01-08-12, 19:01
I had no idea these were a G&R version until seeing this thread. Love the padded version with the sewn in pb's. :)

arizonaranchman
01-10-12, 10:06

C4

Great idea and I like them also Grant. Both my BCM's have the padded VCAS with sewn in swivels and I swear by them.

arizonaranchman
01-10-12, 10:11
Purely personal preference .......I like the padded slings for comfort.

Ditto. When you have it hanging around your neck for a long period of time the padded version starts to become very much appreciated.

jessfest
01-29-12, 11:04
Any updates as to when these will be back in stock?
I'd much rather buy from G&R than DSG!
(BTW, thanks for all the great service, Grant! You and your company are a great asset to this community!)

We will be ordering them by the case at Shot.

C4

C4IGrant
01-29-12, 15:11
Any updates as to when these will be back in stock?
I'd much rather buy from G&R than DSG!
(BTW, thanks for all the great service, Grant! You and your company are a great asset to this community!)

We ordered CASES of these at Shot and they are on their way to us!

C4

MOUNT-N-SLOT
01-29-12, 16:20
Hey!

Impact Weapons Components just launched a new 2 To 1 Point Split-Bar Triglide for 1.25" BFG VCAS Slings with Sewn-in Swivels.

Similar to our very successful 2 To 1 Point Triglide for open-ended slings, IWC's NEW 2 To 1 Point Split-Bar Triglide 1.25" allows you to convert your two-point sling with sewn-in QD Swivels into a convertible one-point, providing additional functionality.

Available for $19.95 + $3.95 S+H at: http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/2-to-1-point-split-bar-triglide-1-25-convertible-qd-sling-adaptor/

PATENT PENDING

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af110/mount-n-slot/2%20To%201%20Point%20Split%20Bar%20Triglide/IMG_0819.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af110/mount-n-slot/2%20To%201%20Point%20Split%20Bar%20Triglide/IMG_0829.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af110/mount-n-slot/2%20To%201%20Point%20Split%20Bar%20Triglide/IMG_0824.jpg

Thanks!

MOUNT-N-SLOT

usmcvet
01-29-12, 17:08
I have one of the padded slings with sewn in QD's. I like it but like a QD up front and to run my sling through the bottom/end of a MOE it CTR. It is mire comfortable that way for me. If one if you has one in great shape w/o the QD's sewn in PM me we can work a trade!

Here it is

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab160/usmcvet0331/Snapbucket/FEEA81D2-orig.jpg

Here is how the rest of mine are set up.

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab160/usmcvet0331/Snapbucket/C638B344-orig.jpg

C4IGrant
01-31-12, 12:03
OD, Black and CB are back in stock!

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=VCAS-PB-200-AA

C4

Dirty Dee
02-08-12, 22:05
Been waffling over whether or not to get the sewn in version. I like how its sleeker with them sewn in.

Time to commit and buy one.

Biggy
02-08-12, 22:15
Does the padded version cinch up as tight as the unpadded version ? I am 5'11" and around 185. The rear QD point would be the REP or on the stock.

usmcvet
02-08-12, 22:24
The sewn in QD's also keeps the padding at the rear too close to the stock. It doesn't do any good there. With the buckles gone you loose length and adjustment too.

Dirty Dee
02-08-12, 23:07
The sewn in QD's also keeps the padding at the rear too close to the stock. It doesn't do any good there. With the buckles gone you loose length and adjustment too.

that's good to know

Biggy
03-04-12, 14:14

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=VCAS-PB-200-AA

C4

Grant, will you be getting anymore of the (VCAS-PB-AA) non-padded, coyote brown slings in ? I prefer the non-padded version only because I can get them to cinch up tighter on me than the padded ones.

C4IGrant
03-04-12, 20:31
Grant, will you be getting anymore of the (VCAS-PB-AA) non-padded, coyote brown slings in ? I prefer the non-padded version only because I can get them to cinch up tighter on me than the padded ones.

Currently, we are only doing the padded version (as they are the most popular).

When you say "cinch up tighter" what does that mean?

C4

Egret18
03-05-12, 11:15

C4

Just pulled the trigger on one of these.

Thanks Grant!

kona
03-05-12, 19:46

I recently bought and returned one for this reason.

I plan to order a regular padded VCAS and put the qd's on myself...

MSteele
03-05-12, 20:32
I have the non-padded VCAS with the sewn in QD's from Grant and it's very comfortable and allows plenty of adjustment. I can adjust it to the point it's tight to the body or large enough to go over my PC. I have used the sling for over 8 hours in a day and not once was it uncomfortable. A collared shirt or shemagh keeps it off your neck if that's an issue. Also exited to get the IWC's new 2 to 1 split bar triglide because this was my only complaint about the sewn in qd's, problem solved....

Bonez556
03-05-12, 20:48
I actually prefer not to have them myself. Alot of your buttstocks with QD attatchment point dont have limited travel so it will let your sling turn into a pretzel. Just my .02

C4IGrant
03-05-12, 21:59
I actually prefer not to have them myself. Alot of your buttstocks with QD attatchment point dont have limited travel so it will let your sling turn into a pretzel. Just my .02

I am personally not a fan of attaching a sling to the stock. Attaching it to the Noveske or DD QD receiver plate is the way to go IMHO.

C4

usmcvet
03-06-12, 10:00
I am personally not a fan of attaching a sling to the stock. Attaching it to the Noveske or DD QD receiver plate is the way to go IMHO.

C4

That is the sweet spot for this sling. I have added the Noveske QD to most of my guns. I Like having the option of using the sling there.

C4IGrant
03-06-12, 10:08
There seems to be some confusion on how this sling is supposed to be used and the pad configuration.

First, the adjustment buckle is used to CREATE SLACK (in order to switch shoulders), NOT remove it. So when setting this sling up, you run the slider all the way to the end and THEN adjust the length (with the middle adjustment point) to your needs.

Second, the padding only needs to make contact on one part of your body. That is your shoulder. Nowhere else does it matter. So having the pad run all the way to the end buckle is of no concern.

I have run this sling since the earliest prototype and probably have almost as much experience with it as the designer. Like most everything there is a right way to do things and a wrong way. If you use the item (as it was intended), it will function perfectly.

C4

usmcvet
03-06-12, 12:59
I'm a big guy so I use most of the adjustment. For the regular size folks there is plenty of room.

3ACR_Scout
11-18-14, 10:03
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but are these VCAS slings with sewn in QD swivels still available anywhere? I was sure I saw them on the BFG website about 6 months ago, but I can't find them now, and I think G&R has been out of stock for a while. Google is turning up empty as well. Grant, is BFG not willing to produce them anymore, or is there not enough demand? Thanks!

Dave

wahoo95
11-18-14, 10:05
Very hard to find. I just have my own QD's sewn on....cost me $10

Eurodriver
11-18-14, 12:25
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but are these VCAS slings with sewn in QD swivels still available anywhere? I was sure I saw them on the BFG website about 6 months ago, but I can't find them now, and I think G&R has been out of stock for a while. Google is turning up empty as well. Grant, is BFG not willing to produce them anymore, or is there not enough demand? Thanks!

Dave

There are a few for sale on the EE right now, that's where I've been getting mine for the past few years.

titanse05
11-18-14, 13:34
https://www.blueforcegear.com/vickers-combat-applications-sling-2-to-1.html

BFG sells them directly you just build them from the Vickers 221 Sling.

Press Check
11-18-14, 17:57
I bought one a few weeks ago from Rock Mountain Tactical that has the QD swivel sewn in the front. Awesomeness.

3ACR_Scout
11-29-14, 23:51
BFG sells them directly you just build them from the Vickers 221 Sling.
Thanks a lot for pointing that out - I missed that option in the menu the first time I looked at the 221 sling. They're offering a 15% Black Friday discount right now (code "Black15"), so I was able to get a padded Multicam sling for $76.50 shipped. Great deal - I love their slings and am looking forward to the sewn version. I don't really mind the regular one (I have two), but if I can eliminate a couple buckles, I think it'll be even better.

Dave

Toyoland66
11-30-14, 10:17
I found this googling, it is strange because it is at a .net address instead of .com

http://www.blueforcegear.net/vickers-push-button-slings.html

It is $3 cheaper than building from a 221 with a standard QD.