PDA

View Full Version : Blew up my Springfield barrel. What do I do?

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-02-07, 20:01
Guys,

Dang it! I was testing my reloads today when I had a ftf. I did a tap rack and bang without thinking (as I have trained myself to do) and blew up the gun when I fired on a squib.

Damn it! This gun ran like a charm. It was a Imbel Springfield Loaded that ran on all kinds of hollowpoints, etc without fanfare. The barrel split in several places. I took it apart and it required a small amount of force to get the barrel out the front of the slide (I pushed it out with my thumb, after a few tries). I can't detect any damage to the lugs or anything else.

I have a newish reissue Series 70 barrel in my parts bin. Can I just drop this in or do I need to do something else?

Should I buy a Kart barrel and install it?

What would yall recommend so I don't waste my money on a new barrel, especially if the gun is trashed. Anything I should look for?:confused:

Shihan
12-02-07, 20:10
Guys,

Dang it! I was testing my reloads today when I had a ftf. I did a tap rack and bang without thinking (as I have trained myself to do) and blew up the gun when I fired on a squib.

Damn it! This gun ran like a charm. It was a Imbel Springfield Loaded that ran on all kinds of hollowpoints, etc without fanfare. The barrel split in several places. I took it apart and it required a small amount of force to get the barrel out the front of the slide (I pushed it out with my thumb, after a few tries). I can't detect any damage to the lugs or anything else.

I have a newish reissue Series 70 barrel in my parts bin. Can I just drop this in or do I need to do something else?

Should I buy a Kart barrel and install it?

What would yall recommend so I don't waste my money on a new barrel, especially if the gun is trashed. Anything I should look for?:confused:

I would take it to a good 1911smith and have it checked over.

Robb Jensen
12-02-07, 20:12
I'd have a competent gunsmith/pistolsmith look the whole gun over and fit a Kart or Bar-Sto NM barrel to it.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-02-07, 20:16
http://web.mac.com/timetravelfoundation/The_LAMP/PROJECT%3A_BREAK_MY_HK45/Entries/2007/12/2_Blew_up_my_1911%21_350_1345_files/shapeimage_2.jpg

Any recommendation on a smith for this? Somebody who wouldn't keep it 2 years?

fivepointoh
12-02-07, 20:21
Bob Miller (friend of mine....Miller Custom) in Geneseo, IL might be able to check it over. He's got some of the lowest prices around and he's one of the newest up and coming big name 1911 smiths. Seriously.

Sorry to hear this.

BTW...he's got an overstock of Kart barrels right now. If the rest of your pistol checks out good...sounds like a prime candidate to finally put in a non stock barrel. :D