PDA

View Full Version : Practical shotgun basics? - Technical, not tactical

ASH556
12-06-11, 10:33
I just got my first "real" shotgun last night. It's a Benelli M1S90, 12GA, 28". I took it to the range and put 12rounds through it (cheap Wal-mart 1-1/8 oz bulk loads) and it cycled without a hitch.

The purpose of this gun is to have on-hand for general field shotgun usage (clays - just fun, not serious; hunting, etc.)

The gun is used but in excellent condition as far as I can tell. The bolt looks brand new as does the inside of the receiver. The only marks are a few small scuffs on the barrel.

Questions:

1) I gave $650 for it, good deal?
2) It came with 4 chokes: CL (skeet), IC (Improved Cylinder), IM (Improved Modified) and F (Full). It looks like I'm missing the Modified that goes right in the middle. Will I miss having this one? If so, where do I find one?
3) Very good info here about proper maintenance and lube on an AR. What's proper for this Shotgun?
4) Do you lube the choke tubes? One of them has some rust on it. Just clean it with oil and a brush/steel wool?

Any other general guidelines you can offer are appreciated.

Shotguns are typically a firearm that most Fudds have. I'm posting here at M4carbine hoping to avoid the Fudds and get real info from the same caliber guys I would trust for AR info.

Thanks again!

halo2304
12-06-11, 17:14
Congrats on the new gun! $650 seems pretty good since the last M1S90 (tactical) I saw was going for ~$800 used. This is also in my area, YMMV. As for the rest of the info you're looking for, others would know more. I'm pretty much a noob with the shotgun and only own two pumps, 870 & 590.