PDA

View Full Version : Magpul K-grip

jet80tv
12-06-11, 13:13
What's the consensus on these for those that have used them? I purchased one for a lower build for my girlfriend. I like the way it feels and I have big hands, it makes gripping it more comfortable on the wrist when I bring my elbow in tight. It however, did not fit the lower flush, depending how it was positioned there would be a relatively noticeable gap either behind the trigger guard "ears" or towards the back top of the grip where it meets the receiver. After some determined grinding in the right spots with emery paper it fits much better with less gap, I may yet grind down some more.
The DD standard A2 grip I had on before fit fine, so I don't believe it's the receiver. Also the supplied screw seemed rather flimsy, came with no lock washer(some mild thread locker) and was much shorter than the DD standard lpk screw(which I used).

Pork Chop
12-06-11, 13:47
tagged for later.

GingerPatches
12-06-11, 14:20
I've got one coming for a lightweight "wife" build that we can both shoot. I'll have some input soon.

yhmspecter
12-06-11, 14:24
I bought one to try out from Primary arms. It is a nice slim grip, I did notice that there was a small gap at the top rear of the grip, but it isn't enough to bother me.. It makes the rifle easier to grip with the elbow tucked close to the body..I stippled my grip which deff helped to aid in holding onto with sweaty hands..I have shot a little over 500rds using this grip so far, the grip angle helps the wrist

jet80tv
12-06-11, 23:46
I bought one to try out from Primary arms. It is a nice slim grip, I did notice that there was a small gap at the top rear of the grip, but it isn't enough to bother me.. It makes the rifle easier to grip with the elbow tucked close to the body..I stippled my grip which deff helped to aid in holding onto with sweaty hands..I have shot a little over 500rds using this grip so far, the grip angle helps the wrist

They are rather smooth. What did you do to stipple yours?

yhmspecter
12-07-11, 08:31
They are rather smooth. What did you do to stipple yours?

I used a soldering iron with a standard pointed tip, I didn't push the soldering iron into the grip I kinda just lightly touched the surface, so I have a very light texture, its not super aggressive. I will post a few pictures when I get home from work

vecdran
12-07-11, 13:54
http://www.jp-vd.com/Military/firearms/i-TMdXdZX/0/M/ramoegrips-M.jpg

I didn't expect to still be using it, I thought I would like the MOE+ better, but in the end, the MOE-K won. I used to have a MIAD w/large backstrap on my gun, but even with my largish hands, the MOE-K just works better for me. I can have my stock one position out so that I can still use my Noveske QD endplate, but have the gun tucked much closer to my body comfortably. Because my hand wraps around more of the grip, I feel like I'm actually holding onto "more gun".

Overall, I like it a lot. I haven't had any issues with it being slippery yet, but to be honest, I haven't run the gun hard yet with it on. Gloves or stippling...we shall see.

steelonsteel
12-07-11, 16:13
I REALLY want to try this grp, but 've heard some people say that is has a gap, and may require something like a gapper. Magpul wrote that is would have no gap at one point, but plenty seem to mention it having one.

does anyone have or can anyone get a picture of said gap? I'd like to see it ad decide if I think it will bother me.

cop1211
12-07-11, 19:20
I've got a couple of the Troy cqb grips, I like them better than the miad with small inserts. Might want to check those out, no gap.

Dunderway
12-07-11, 21:40
I would be much more impressed with the MOE grip line if Magpul would have added the MIAD texture to their molds. In hot weather the standard MOE grip feels like a bar of soap to me, and the K looks to be the same. It would be nice if they offered a MIAD with the K grip angle.

Col_Crocs
12-07-11, 21:59
It would be nice if they offered a MIAD with the K grip angle.
Ya, this! They could call it the KIAD. Kidding aside, I dont see a down side to making a K grip MIAD. I bet many here would give it a go. In any case, I'm still very interested in the current K grip. Looking forward to reading more about it.

yhmspecter
12-07-11, 22:16
well since im lame and cant figure out how to post a picture using flickr i guess i got a link

here is the gap on my MOE-k

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59633306@N08/6475068277/

Col_Crocs
12-07-11, 22:43
Doesnt look so bad actually. I was under the impression it was a negative gap. Do you feel it to the point that you constantly know it's there while shooting?

yhmspecter
12-07-11, 22:52
Doesnt look so bad actually. I was under the impression it was a negative gap. Do you feel it to the point that you constantly know it's there while shooting?

Honestly I dont, I was just handling the gun before posting..

Col_Crocs
12-07-11, 23:46
Thanks! Im close to sold on this thing but will hold out a little longer.

zombie killer
12-08-11, 00:11
I have it, love it. No gap and no fitment issues on my Mega lower.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm317/Phillip_Musick/IMG_3836.jpg

Snake101st
12-08-11, 11:18
Im glad you guys made this thread, I bought the MOE-K online for a new build and am still waiting to put it together. I love the idea of a more vertical angle, and even the smaller profile, but the guys on ar15.com seem to hate how small it is... kinda got me worried, but glad to see you guys like it.

Kissel
12-09-11, 19:02
I put one on a dedicated 22LR build for my nephews--little guys 11 and 8 y.o. I wear XL gloves and prefer MOE or BG17, but the more I handle the K, the more I like it. After I tried it with gloves on, I was sold--perfect (for me). And the angle is an overall improvment IMO. I'm going to try one on one of my personal rifles and I think I gonna like it.

careboy
12-10-11, 01:31
In hot weather the standard MOE grip feels like a bar of soap to me, and the K looks to be the same. It would be nice if they offered a MIAD with the K grip angle.
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/22.gif

GingerPatches
12-11-11, 21:44
Just got it mounted and a new lower built up this weekend.

This thing is thin...really thin. I can't say I like it more or less than a MIAD yet.

It does feel nice with gloves on, and the angle feels great with the stock collapsed and your elbow tucked in. It has a slight gap on the front edge against the receiver (very small), and an edge on the backstrap against the receiver. I could care less, but some folks are particular about that kind of thing.

It is also quite smooth...again, time will tell.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/ecdbcd/DSC_0134.jpg

On another note...I used an lpk from Palmetto on this one. Those split pins are a pain in the ass compared to spiral pins, IMO. They work fine just the same once installed, thankfully.

Panzerfaust
12-11-11, 22:35
The MOE K grip fits very well on my M&P lower (Don't worry, DD LPK and BCM upper). I like the size and angle of it as well. It just seems to fit my hands better than the other grip I had on it, and it doesn't have the A2 nub on the front of it (can be good or bad depending on the individual.)

Snake101st
12-11-11, 22:45
Sounds good guys, thanks for all the input based on experience... cant wait to finish putting my gun together (havent gotten it back from the shop, Im letting them do most of the work for liability reasons)!

35percent
12-15-11, 20:37
Is there an easy way to fix the 'gap' or is it something you just have to live with?

jet80tv
12-15-11, 23:56
Is there an easy way to fix the 'gap' or is it something you just have to live with?

I had to grind on the front of mine with some rough sandpaper and the top front corners a bit. It seems to fit pretty gd now with only an imperceptible gap towards the back where it meets the receiver there. I'm thinking maybe this grip was just a little "off", or maybe it was a batch of them. Good to go now though!;)

halo2304
12-18-11, 10:13
I picked on up the other day but haven't had a chance to install it yet. However, like most have said, it's kinda slick. They should've added more texturing. I was actually kind of impressed by their VFG which if you look at it has their logo as the texturing.

My biggest disappointment with the K grip thus far, is the lack of grip storage. I like to keep a dummy round and a sight tool in the grip of my rifle and I should probably add a broken case tool. It would be nice if they at least added a rubber plug to hold a few rounds or tools.

ForTehNguyen
12-18-11, 10:41
I found the size to be good for shooters with small hands. Not for me tho

yhmspecter
12-18-11, 11:56
I picked on up the other day but haven't had a chance to install it yet. However, like most have said, it's kinda slick. They should've added more texturing. I was actually kind of impressed by their VFG which if you look at it has their logo as the texturing.

My biggest disappointment with the K grip thus far, is the lack of grip storage. I like to keep a dummy round and a sight tool in the grip of my rifle and I should probably add a broken case tool. It would be nice if they at least added a rubber plug to hold a few rounds or tools.

I agree with you there. The grip was just too slick... So I spent about a half hour with my soldering iron. Now its good to go...

halo2304
12-18-11, 16:47
I agree with you there. The grip was just too slick... So I spent about a half hour with my soldering iron. Now its good to go...

I may just do that with mine if I like it better than my MIAD. I'll have to look into doing some amatuer molding to make a grip plug. :rolleyes: (Yay, yet another project!)

Snake101st
12-22-11, 15:27
Got my AR with the MOE-K today... loving the feel so far, cant wait to take it to the range! (old camera, sorry... its all I got)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Plissken/IMG_5855.jpg

halo2304
12-30-11, 01:56
I put the K grip on my main gun (6920) and I didn't really care for how slim the grip was. Also, I noticed it's shorter than the MIAD. I don't think I have large hands as I usually fit into medium sized gloves. I thought about wrapping the grip with some paracord a la katana handles...and before anyone asks, 'cuz I could! :D

kmrtnsn
12-30-11, 11:03
My wife has extra small hands. She was running a MOE grip on her rifle but would have to relax her grip to reach the mag release with her finger so I put a K Grip on her rifle this week. It is a huge improvement for her, she can reach the mag release now, without relaxing her grip. At first I thought the K Grip would be too short, but this isn't the case for her. Still, when the BCM Grip hits the shelves I may order on of these too, just to see how it works for her.

tsunami105
12-30-11, 15:25
Hmm those grips look nice but I wish there were some palm swell bumps on the side like the ergo grips. :)

Failure2Stop
12-30-11, 15:26
I thought about wrapping the grip with some paracord a la katana handles...and before anyone asks, 'cuz I could! :D

That could be pretty neat.
Ray skin and rezin coated cloth...
Hit a pic if you do it.

Jay Cunningham
12-30-11, 15:46
Would be perfect for tactical wakizashi class.

Failure2Stop
12-30-11, 16:00
Would be perfect for tactical wakizashi class.

I heard that one might be in the works. . .
:ph34r:

Voodoo_Man
12-30-11, 16:48
I just put one on a build.

It is VERY similar to the troy battle axe grip which I love on my scar and it has place on my guns.

Skang
12-30-11, 16:56
Hmm those grips look nice but I wish there were some palm swell bumps on the side like the ergo grips. :)

Expensive. ($70+) I have V.2

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/catalog/416battlegrip-2_1123_detail.jpg

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/catalog/HKN10022V2.jpg

mp43
12-30-11, 23:30
The K grip was too short and narrow for my medium size hands. Unless you have a very light SBR, weapons manipulation such as speed reloads will be compromised. And if you hang a suppresor off the end, well forget about it.
I like the more vertical angle, but I will wait for the BCM grip instead.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=25.913557,-80.335909

1911-A1
12-31-11, 09:12
I put one on my 16" BCM/KAC gun to test it out. I liked the grip angle quite a bit, and felt it helped align the Aimpoint a little better when I shouldered it.

It didn't perfectly conform to the KAC lower's geometry, and jutted out a small amount at the top. It also didn't cover the gap under the trigger guard. This isn't a problem if you wear gloves, but barehanded will be painful after a bit.

I ran about eight mags through the gun with the K Grip installed, and found that it was too small for a 16" gun. There's just too much weight forward of the grip for it to be comfortable over a period of time. It ended up being fatiguing. I can see a PDW application (as advertized), but for my hands, it's too small on a carbine.

I ended up reinstalling the US Palm grip. It provides a lot more support and control.

Shiz
12-31-11, 13:18
I have one on one of my rifles. It is not without it's charms. (6'5") I don't mind small-ish grips, and on my gen4 glock, go with the smallest grip. (They feel better to me.) I really like the grip angle, but the grip itself is too short. My pinky totally hangs off. I don't mind the thickness as much as the shortness. I will probably keep it for the angle alone.

grip angle... 9
length .... 2
thickness .... 5
no stipple....0

I will probably stipple mine at least.

Snake101st
12-31-11, 13:28
After running mine a bit I love everything about it except the width. If it was a tiny bit wider or at least had a little palm swell, itd be perfect. The length isnt a problem for me, my hands fit just fine... but I can see how itd be a problem for some. Fits my 14.5"er just fine, I like to run my EMOD fully collapsed to get a nice close and tight grip, and the grip angle on this does wonders to keep my wrist from fatiguing. this grip + A5 emod + geissele SD-C = one amazing combo.

halo2304
01-01-12, 16:30
That could be pretty neat.
Ray skin and rezin coated cloth...
Hit a pic if you do it.

I'll see about trying it and taking a pic for ya! ;)

Drummer
01-01-12, 20:05
As others have said, I like the angle and length but it needs more meat on the sides to hang on to. It was also slippery as a bar of soap but a few minutes with a wood burning kit fixed it.

big b
01-02-12, 16:20
I bought one cheep during a holiday sale just to try out. I actually like it more than I thought I would. I really like the angle. I also like that it's a simple design for an inexpensive price ;) . I still like Tango Down and Hogue grips better, but I wouldn't mind getting another K-grip.

As far as the texture- I remember while attending a Magpul class last year Chris Costa and another student talking about why P-Mags don't have a more aggressive texture. Chris said he had asked some of the people at Magpul that are involved with the manufacturing process about putting a texture similar to the Miad on some mags. According to them it's difficult to maintain the molds of products that have aggressive textures (or something to this extent, I may be remembering it wrong). I don't want to speculate too much, but maybe this has something to do with the K-grip's lack of texture.

BigHate
01-02-12, 17:08
I bought one cheep during a holiday sale just to try out. I actually like it more than I thought I would. I really like the angle. I also like that it's a simple design for an inexpensive price ;) . I still like Tango Down and Hogue grips better, but I wouldn't mind getting another K-grip.

As far as the texture- I remember while attending a Magpul class last year Chris Costa and another student talking about why P-Mags don't have a more aggressive texture. Chris said he had asked some of the people at Magpul that are involved with the manufacturing process about putting a texture similar to the Miad on some mags. According to them it's difficult to maintain the molds of products that have aggressive textures (or something to this extent, I may be remembering it wrong). I don't want to speculate too much, but maybe this has something to do with the K-grip's lack of texture.

I have always wondered this. Thanks for the info.

contax_shooter
01-02-12, 17:10
The RVG and MIAD stuff have their textured areas.. Not sure why they would skimp out on -K grips

big b
01-03-12, 00:32
The RVG and MIAD stuff have their textured areas.. Not sure why they would skimp out on -K grips
Got me.
My first guess is to keep costs down. Then again I don't work for Magpul so I could be wrong :D

halo2304
01-03-12, 20:17
A quick wrap test drive. Paracord is pretty tough to do properly. The diamonds are formed by folding the cord but paracord doesn't want to stay folded, instead it twists.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/halo2304/Guns/IMG_0542.jpg
This side, for a right handed shooter like me, the top cross forms a bit of a thumb rest.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/halo2304/Guns/IMG_0547.jpg
This side should have the menuki which would add a bit of a palm swell and the top strip of paracord acts as a bit of a ramp transition for the trigger finger rather than an abrupt step down.

The final step would be to apply some epoxy to make it all permanent. This would likely cause it to be a bit slick in the hand for most here. Not quite sure how to add texture for grip but I've got an idea or two I could try.

nml
01-04-12, 00:18
Ninja AR grip!!!!

blackbox
01-04-12, 02:13
I'm getting a pair to practice some stippling on. for $14 a pop, you can't go wrong.