PDA

View Full Version : Non-firearm defensive weapons

Nathan_Bell
12-06-11, 14:35
How are folks prepping for non-shooting situations?

I have recently (headdesk) realized that I have only two approaches to running worthless folks off.

Yelling threats at them, and then shooting. I understand that in our current legal system that is the proper route, but if law breaks down a bit, would it be wise to have something in between?

Such as cans of bear spray or cs grenades?

Grizzly16
12-06-11, 14:56
How are folks prepping for non-shooting situations?

I have recently (headdesk) realized that I have only two approaches to running worthless folks off.

Yelling threats at them, and then shooting. I understand that in our current legal system that is the proper route, but if law breaks down a bit, would it be wise to have something in between?

Such as cans of bear spray or cs grenades?
We've got a few cans of pepper spray, a bear spray for bigger needs and a good ole fashion bat and ax handle to encourage people to move on.

It is tempting to get some of pepper spray paintballs if they are legal for non-leo's to own.

J8127
12-06-11, 15:53
Is there anything that says you can't use bear spray on a person? I know they sell those big-gulp sized cans that shoot like 50 goddamn feet.

My biggest fear, even though there are more likely threats, is the law-abiding-citizen door scene.

(statements unrelated)

Pork Chop
12-06-11, 16:04
We have a few tiger pits and when I finish my moat...........

Just kidding. Some pepper spray and baseball bats mostly. Although, some cs grenades would be very handy for sure.

I've been thinking about some bean bag rounds for the shotguns, but if it gets to that point I doubt I'll want them?

Blstr88
12-06-11, 17:49
I've got a box of shotgun shells that shoot rubber balls instead of lead.

I always figure if the SHTF big time, theyll be TONS of normal, honest everyday people EVERYWHERE just trying to get food for their families. It's sad but you can't blame them. I dont want to kill those people exactly but I sure as hell won't just let them take my food either...I think the rubber shotgun rounds are a perfect alternative.

Pork Chop
12-06-11, 17:54

I always figure if the SHTF big time, theyll be TONS of normal, honest everyday people EVERYWHERE just trying to get food for their families. It's sad but you can't blame them. I dont want to kill those people exactly but I sure as hell won't just let them take my food either...I think the rubber shotgun rounds are a perfect alternative.

Exactly, the unprepared will be a major problem. That's why I was thinking the bean bag loads.

Where did you get your rubber ball loads?

Gatorbait
12-06-11, 22:02

Yeap, same here.

I have used the S&B ball on a coyote that had one of my dogs in it's jaws. I shot it on the hip, and it dropped the dog.....followed by the bandages, betadine, and bathtub. The dog ended up surviving after a trip to the vet.......
I keep an 870 loaded with 00 buck, but have LTL and sluggs on the side saddle. IMHO, the ability to switch to a LTL option is one of the important aspects of a shotgun in the SHTF armory.........

Blstr88
12-06-11, 22:47
Exactly, the unprepared will be a major problem. That's why I was thinking the bean bag loads.

Where did you get your rubber ball loads?

I ordered mine from cheaperthandirt.com

krisjon
12-09-11, 23:06
I have a couple of these.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=ka+bar+kukri&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1863761780861239214&sa=X&ei=9ufiTubYO62nsAK--ZCeBg&ved=0CGIQ8wIwAQ

Mine are sharp enough to shave the hair on a gnat's as* and will split your head like a coconut. Great for splitting firewood and other utility uses, too. And there's just something about a big, heavy knife like this that says, "don't mess with me."

Brimstone
12-09-11, 23:31
I ordered mine from cheaperthandirt.com

I am looking into this. Seems like a good option.

I would be careful in a real TEOTWAWKI scenario to not be too lenient and show too much weakness. A really pissed off person coming back with friends can turn ugly fast.

Sensei
12-10-11, 04:38
ASP Collapsing Baton is very handy.

As for the bean bag or rubber loads, I'm a little skeptical on their use since I'm untrained. Also, I'm of the mindset that displaying a firearm elevates the threat level. As a citizen, I would only display a firearm if I was prepared to use lethal force.

Kfgk14
12-10-11, 13:48
Frankly, I don't own much nonlethal. I have multiple cans of bear spray and my SO carries pepper spray at all times, so as to have an alternative to the handgun if the situation merits it.
If TSHTF, I'm more likely to shoot, shovel and shut up if someone wants my stuff. Better one of them now than ten of them later.

pmarc
12-10-11, 15:10
I'm of the mindset that displaying a firearm elevates the threat level. As a citizen, I would only display a firearm if I was prepared to use lethal force.

Yeah, shooting people elevates it further. It doens't matter if you shot them with LTL. People will complain of getting shot and will bring friends.

If you can de-escalate, do it. If not, shut your door, grab your guns.

As they say, anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Don't shoot to maim.

12-10-11, 15:37
Non-firearm defensive weapons? Me. Being proficient in H2H is the best way to be able to handle a situation where a gun may escalate beyond what is required.

The best way to avoid a fight is for others to be aware that one knows how to defend themselves easily.

Over the years I have developed the technique of quietly, and non-embarassingly, letting the offender know I have the ability, and intent, to **** them up if THEY choose to continue. Several times it has just been saying(paraphrasing), "Look guy, I have a belt in BJJ and love some Muay Thai. You do not have the ability to beat me. I do not want to fight. If you choose to fight, I want you to swing first so that the witnesses can verify I was defending myself when I leave you on the ground fo the ambulance."

All this said quietly, calmly, and most importantly, in a manner that does not embarass or corner the offender.

If it would happen to be several offenders and I do not have a firearm, give me an ASP baton, an axe handle, a rock, some dirt to throw in their eyes, etc. I will use any weapon handy if need be.

Nathan_Bell
12-10-11, 17:01
I mentioned this thread to a friend of mine. He gave me his standard smart assed remark and a link.

His comment was. "if someone is dumb enough to approach YOUR house with harm in mind, you are doing the species a favor by applying bleach to the gene pool. If you don't want to shoot them try this"

Here is the link.

http://www.imperialweapons.com/G2MST/IP-023-2.html

Grizzly16
12-10-11, 17:31
I mentioned this thread to a friend of mine. He gave me his standard smart assed remark and a link.

His comment was. "if someone is dumb enough to approach YOUR house with harm in mind, you are doing the species a favor by applying bleach to the gene pool. If you don't want to shoot them try this"

Here is the link.

http://www.imperialweapons.com/G2MST/IP-023-2.html

I'd say that qualifies as a lethal weapon :sarcastic:

Nathan_Bell
12-10-11, 18:02
I'd say that qualifies as a lethal weapon :sarcastic:

LOL, yeah he didn't quite want to grasp the drift of the conversation