PDA

View Full Version : Lookin for some pointers

hardhitta71194
12-06-11, 20:47
New guy here, getting ready to build my first Ar.
Just gonna be a plinker, already got my protection and hunting rifles, so I'm trying to keep this one cheap. I will most likely build another after this one.
The search bar is not working for me right now, so I was wondering if someone could hook me up with some links to a couple good websites to get parts.
I'm going to a Spikes Zombie lower for sure. Still looking around and everything else. Thanks

Evil Colt 6920
12-06-11, 20:56
"buy once, cry once" is a common phrase around here. I say build or buy the best you can, especially since you already have plans for a second AR. The difference in price is less than than difference in quality.

hardhitta71194
12-06-11, 20:59
I understand.. I didn't mean build the cheapest one I could, just not too expensive. I still want reliable parts, but I don't wanna spend a fortune.

Edit: Also, I'm going to put Magpul dark earth grip and stock on it. I'm going to buy my upper completed because of headspacing and all that but I'm having problems finding a complete upper with the dark earth colored rail, if anyone can help.

ucrt
12-06-11, 21:03
I understand.. I didn't mean build the cheapest one I could, just not too expensive. I still want reliable parts, but I don't wanna spend a fortune.

================================

Just curious, what is your budget?

hardhitta71194
12-06-11, 21:04
================================

Just curious, what is your budget?

Probably around a $1000 or less, unless i get my new job pretty soon then I won't really have a "budget".

a0cake
12-06-11, 21:07
You seem more concerned with color and rollmarks than meaningful things. I suggest a complete shift in thought process. Look into the following things: HPT/MPI, 1/9 vs 1/7 twist, 5.56 vs .223 chambers, castle nut staking, gas carrier key staking, 4140 vs 4150 vs MIL-B-11595E barrel steel, TDP, MIL-SPEC, overgassing, and buffer weights. Educate yourself using the ORANGE search button which is working right now.

I think afterward you will be less concerned with your Zombie lower and FDE furniture. For **** sake just the mention of this color annoys me. I can't help it.

Hope this helps.

ucrt
12-06-11, 21:08
Probably around a $1000 or less, unless i get my new job pretty soon then I won't really have a "budget".

=================================

To me, for $1000, I would buy a Colt 6920 from Grant for $930 and call it a good day.

OR

Take a chance on a Palmetto State Armory rifle kit for like $500 w/o a lower.

I would just save a little and get the Colt.

But maybe it's just me...

Evil Colt 6920
12-06-11, 21:09
I hear the Colt 6920 is in that price range these days, Id go that route if I were you. I paid a lot more than that for my 6920 a few years ago and still, no way do I regret that purchase.

hardhitta71194
12-06-11, 21:12
What does it matter if I want it to look good also? Seeing that those are my cheapest parts, and the color doesn't affect the price. I have been looking at all the stuff mentioned. It's my first rifle and that's how I want it to look. I could get a regular spikes lower for the same price as the zombie one. That's why I haven't found which other parts I want yet, I'm still researching everything.

hardhitta71194
12-06-11, 21:13
=================================

To me, for $1000, I would buy a Colt 6920 from Grant for $930 and call it a good day.

OR

Take a chance on a Palmetto State Armory rifle kit for like $500 w/o a lower.

I would just save a little and get the Colt.

Thanks man, I'll check out Palmetto.

ucrt
12-06-11, 21:15
New guy here, getting ready to build my first Ar.
Just gonna be a plinker, already got my protection and hunting rifles, so I'm trying to keep this one cheap. I will most likely build another after this one.

Again, just curious, what is your "protection"?

hardhitta71194
12-06-11, 21:18
Again, just curious, what is your "protection"?

Got a glock 17 in my table beside my bed, and a mossberg 500 not far from reach. And all my hunting rifles are in a cabinet in the closet.

ucrt
12-06-11, 21:29
Got a glock 17 in my table beside my bed, and a mossberg 500 not far from reach. And all my hunting rifles are in a cabinet in the closet.

===================================

OK. Not bad but this site is pretty much dedicated that an AR is the ideal HD/SD weapon of choice. That's why some guys get upset about "colors" when the real concern is giving good solid info to guys looking to buy a gun to survive a life threatening situations. It would be like going to a tool forum and asking where you can get light blue combination wrenches, when the first question should be where can I get the best wrenches.

So, I would suggest you go with the Colt, then later dabble building a rifle. You might be able to build an AR for cheap but the Colt will hold its value, last forever, and be an ideal HD/SD weapon over anything you could build.

hardhitta71194
12-06-11, 21:32
===================================

OK. Not bad but this site is pretty much dedicated that an AR is the ideal HD/SD weapon of choice. That's why some guys get upset about "colors" when the real concern is giving good solid info to guys looking to buy a gun to survive a life threatening situations. It would be like going to a tool forum and asking where you can get light blue combination wrenches, when the first question should be where can I get the best wrenches.

So, I would suggest you go with the Colt, then later dabble building a rifle. You might be able to build an AR for cheap but the Colt will hold its value, last forever, and be an ideal HD/SD weapon over anything you could build.

Yeah I hear ya man. Sorry bout that.
I'm building a rifle because I want to have one I can say I built myself, and most of all I just want to know how.

With that said, Would it be okay to go with a Palmetto State Amory kit with my lower of choice? Or should I find something different?

Brimstone
12-06-11, 21:37
Get the Colt 6920. You can always go back and pretty it up later, but in the meantime you will have a helluva carbine.

hardhitta71194
12-06-11, 21:38
Get the Colt 6920. You can always go back and pretty it up later, but in the meantime you will have a helluva carbine.

Thanks man, appreciate it. But I really want to build a rifle...

a0cake
12-06-11, 21:40
If you're dead set on assembling the rifle yourself, forget the kit. Get exactly what you want for each part.

Also, learn how to properly do the assembly (torque specs mainly).

Factor in the cost of tools. The AR does require AR specific tools, you know.

If the building it yourself option still looks good after this, you just need to decide what you want.

Just make sure stick with quality manufacturers.

hardhitta71194
12-06-11, 21:43
If you're dead set on assembling the rifle yourself, forget the kit. Get exactly what you want for each part.

Also, learn how to properly do the assembly (torque specs mainly).

Factor in the cost of tools. The AR does require AR specific tools, you know.

If the building it yourself option still looks good after this, you just need to decide what you want.

Just make sure stick with quality manufacturers.

Yeah, I know they need specific tools, I plan on getting them.
I tried to state what I wanted earlier, but apparently color is out of option. lol

I'm still learning stuff as I go, that's why i've ordered nothing yet.
thanks bro

hardhitta71194
12-06-11, 21:46
How is Rock River, do they make pretty quality stuff?

DeltaSierra
12-06-11, 21:50
How is Rock River, do they make pretty quality stuff?

NO!

Read the stickied threads...

Stick with known and proven brands like Colt, LMT, Noveske, Daniel Defense, BCM, KAC, etc.

Buy from good people like Grant @ G&R Tactical...

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home

In fact, just buy a complete Colt SP6920 from Grant and call it a day...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=4524

ucrt
12-06-11, 21:54
Yeah I hear ya man. Sorry bout that.
I'm building a rifle because I want to have one I can say I built myself, and most of all I just want to know how.

With that said, Would it be okay to go with a Palmetto State Amory kit with my lower of choice? Or should I find something different?

=======================================

Here's you dilemma, you want to build a rifle to see if you can...and..you can but in all likelihood it will be a piece of kaa-kaa unless you do as a0cake stated in his last post. If you don't, I'd bet you'll probably end up with a DPMS parts kit, no name barrel, BCG, etc. from a gun show or some discount vendor like M1...

Start reading (stop questioning) and learn who makes and sells quality parts and such. Otherwise you'll just be pissing your money off.

BTW...when it is all said and done...you won't have a warranty and you'll probably spend close to the price of the Colt.

PS - RRA, DPMS, BM, Olympic, etc. all suck...start searching and reading! If you buy parts before mid-January, you're screwing up.

NOTE - "M4 Carbine.net helps those who help themselves..." ;)

zombie killer
12-06-11, 21:54
You say you're desired use is "plinking" I assume this means shooting some rounds here and there at the range.

Many members on this particular forum either use their rifles daily, train with them often or view them as their go to weapon. For this reason the main concern is that the rifle goes bang every time, because a life depends on it.

If that is not your concern (no problem with me one way or another) I suggest buying your desired lower and purchasing a 16 inch upper from Bravo Company and then invest in a .22 conversion.

a0cake
12-06-11, 21:55
Generally, no. RRA is not known for quality. Their stainless barrels are okay but they are generally not recommended. There are plenty of quality companies to give your money too. I'll list a few for you. Not all of them produce everything, but generally, if their stamp is on it the product is quality: KAC, LMT, Daniel Defense, BCM, Colt, Noveske, and Centurion.

To keep things easy, I suggest looking at BCM for the majority of components and going for either a Daniel Defense or Centurion rail.

ucrt
12-06-11, 22:05

Here's a nice Thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=94203) - short and sweet.
Maybe PM the guy??

While you're reading and searching for the next month or so...keep up with this new interesting Thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=94156). Might answer some of your questions.

Good advice is good advice... ;)

hardhitta71194
12-06-11, 22:12
Okay been reading around, took a while to sink in. Lol
Thanks guys. Still gonna get my Spikes zombie lower, say what you will. But I'm looking at a BCM 16" complete upper... But thanks for the advice. For sure not getting a RRA or DPMS anymore.

Generalpie
12-07-11, 00:30
My understanding is that as far as lower assemblies go the stipped receivers is general good to go from just about any of the manufacturers. It is the lower parts kit and all the related "goodies" that make a break a top tier AR, either factory or build. As always, I could be wrong but I haven't seen much about the lowers themselves being bad as long as they are built from the correct alloy and machined correctly.

With the difference in cost between quality parts and parts that are known to have problems there isn't much reason to not get the top line stuff from the start.

Buying a complete lower half the difference in cost from a RRA to a BCM is well under $100. If you buy a complete blemished BCM it is about the same cost. Plus the BCM comes standard with an H buffer.

Obviously, it is your money and your build so do what makes you happy but the advice given is good advice so far.

FWIW, with the exception of a box of zombie ammo I want for my bar for the month of October for my giant Halloween party, almost everything "zombie" looks pretty dumb. That is one of the great things about this country, your free to like what you wish.

phenom00
12-07-11, 05:29
Okay been reading around, took a while to sink in. Lol
Thanks guys. Still gonna get my Spikes zombie lower, say what you will. But I'm looking at a BCM 16" complete upper... But thanks for the advice. For sure not getting a RRA or DPMS anymore.

Not sure if this is gonna help your build, but on the cosmetic side I found this deal from palmetto state armory. It's $149 for a Midwest gen 2 rail. Magpul, moe grip, stock, and trigger guard.
http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/2068.php

hardhitta71194
12-07-11, 11:05
Not sure if this is gonna help your build, but on the cosmetic side I found this deal from palmetto state armory. It's $149 for a Midwest gen 2 rail. Magpul, moe grip, stock, and trigger guard.
http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/2068.php

Actually it does help. Lol Thats a good deal. Thanks man