PDA

View Full Version : New guy here. If you could have only one handgun???

Giff74
12-07-11, 09:07
Long time reader, first time poster.

A little background. I have a lot more experience with long guns than hand guns. My dad had his share of rifles and shotguns when my brother and I were growing up and he taught us both to shoot them reasonably well. However, Dad always liked revolvers, so I have had very little experience with semi-autos.

My budget is in the $500-600 range. I would love a P30 with the LEM trigger, but my would wife would shoot me for spending $850+ for that gun. This will eventually be my CCW gun, in fact this will be for the foreseeable future my only handgun.

I guess I have the usual list of suspects, gen 4 G19 (extraction issues???), gen 3 G19 (extraction issues also??), Walther PPQ, M & P, dare I add Springfield to the mix????

What experience I have with semi-autos is almost all with older Glocks. I seemed to shoot the Glocks fine, but my hold up is with the current manufacturing issues both the gen 3 and 4 seem to be having.

I would appreciate any words of wisdom you all have. I can't afford a $500 paper weight and although I do like the looks of the gen 4 G19 I don't want to be sending it back and forth to Glock.

Thanks ahead of time, Giff

Quentin
12-07-11, 09:23
In your price range the G19 would be an excellent choice. As far as Gen 3 vs. Gen 4, I'd handle both and hopefully shoot both before deciding. Glock seems to have worked out most of the problems in Gen 4 and I do like the multiple backstraps and new double RSA.

I also had experience only in older Glocks so early this year when I bought a G23 I was concerned about all the reports of problems in Gen 4 and recent Gen 3s. Comparing both in my hands I had to take a chance on the Gen 4 and never regretted it. I did take advantage of Glock's RSA trade in program to get the latest version but never had issues with the 0-3 version the 23Gen4 came with.

I don't have first hand experience with the 9mm Gen 4s so hopefully you'll get more replies.

shua713
12-07-11, 09:26
First, let me say, welcome to the forum. I am a 1911 guy, but for ccw you lose a few rounds. I would try and find an older glock if you are worried about the extractor issues. I have friends that really love the springfield xdm's. If you have a range near you that rents guns, I would go there and rent a few different guns that you are interested in and go from there. That way you can decide which one fits your hand correctly and shoots the way you like. I did this with my wife and she ended up with a sig p239. Good luck in your search.

Quentin
12-07-11, 09:29
I forgot to add that the most recent Gen 4s have updated ejectors so when you field strip the pistol in the store, look at the number on the ejector for the latest one and of course the same applies to the RSA. I don't know what the numbers on 9mms are but no doubt you could find that info beforehand. My 23Gen4 has the old 1882 ejector but I'm not sending it in for replacement. If I were buying today I'd look for new stock that already had the new ejector and RSA.

montanadave
12-07-11, 09:32
Long time reader, first time poster.

Then you already know the answer. Gen 3 Glock 19. And I don't even own one! :laugh:

PrivateCitizen
12-07-11, 09:48
Always subjective, of course …

But your short-list is spot on … and, no, you do not add the Springfield.

I started to consolidate on M&Ps but found my way back to Glocks.

For purposes of conversation and based on personal experience:
G19: Gen 3 or 4. Prove it. Run it.

militarymoron
12-07-11, 09:58
i'd pick the G19.

jwfuhrman
12-07-11, 10:03
I'm a huge M&P fan. I havnt had any of the "issues" others see to have. I use a M&P9 Pro 5inch for USPSA and 3gun(about 4500rds last year in the first year I had it) and the full size 4.25 M&P9 for carry and about 2500rds thru that. The trigger is my only complaint, but I shoot them better than Glocks. Glocks are damn good as well, especially the 19, I've owner both, and prefer the M&P.

Brennan
12-07-11, 10:34
I've owned a Springfield XD9 Sub-Compact and really liked the pistol, but ended up selling it to a good friend who made an offer I couldn't refuse. I loved that pistol, my only complaint was the "safety grip" or whatever it's called on the back that you have to depress to rack the slide. I then went through a few other pistols and was never really satisfied (One was a Glock and I absolutely hated it). Yadi Yadi Yada, quite a few months go by...

THEN, I finally purchased my M&P 9c and kicked myself in the ass for not getting that one from day one. I absolutely LOVE this pistol. I like the trigger (but, there are aftermarket trigger options if you're not a fan), it has adjustable back straps to fit your hands best, you can purchase aftermarket sights, a few guys are going RMR, it has a rail on the front for a light, there are laser options for it (from the factory), they sell models with and without a safety for whichever you prefer, etc etc etc.. I look at this pistol as a more ergonomic and more attractive Glock. The best part about it? It's under your budget. I paid $469 for mine.

Backstop
12-07-11, 11:31
If you could have only one handgun???

I do own only one (model of) handgun: G19

I believe repetition is a key to proficiency.

I'm not a natural pistol shooter like many folks.

It takes constant practice, and I look for every advantage I can get.

Shooting the exact same pistol provides an advantage, and a good form of repetition.

Edit: Forgot: I do own a Colt Detective - I hate that thing.

Moltke
12-07-11, 11:51
Glock 19, gen 3 or 4.

Brimstone
12-07-11, 11:59
Find a range where you can rent and shoot, then try a Glock 19 and an M&P9. Pick the one that feels best to you. You can't go wrong with either one.

I like the M&P better and have standardized on that pistol. It feels better in my hand, I shoot it slightly better and it is made in America. YMMV

okie john
12-07-11, 12:45
Lots of good advice here. I can only add that it’s a personal decision. Think about how you came to choose your favorite rifles and shotguns, then get ready to apply the same thinking to handguns. Also, there’s a big difference between your current long-gun skills and the skills you need to win fights with a pistol. Popping a few caps at the range now and then isn’t enough, so start looking at a training budget along with your gun-buying budget.

To answer your question more directly, never buy a self-defense weapon because of how it feels in your hand or how it looks. Buy it because it’s powerful, durable, reliable, and you can hit things with it.

That said, it’s hard to go wrong with a 9mm Glock. Parts are cheap and easy to find, and most places that sell parts will install them for free. You can swap parts easily yourself because you only need a punch to detail strip a Glock, and you can teach yourself to do that by watching YouTube. There’s also a vast amount of common knowledge about them, the best of which is found right here.

A G17 is the same size as a 1911, so it’s kind of a horse to conceal, but it can be done. A G19 is a bit easier to hide and almost as easy to shoot well. Find an early Gen 3 version of either one and you’re good to go. They last forever, so there’s no reason to buy a new one. If I were in your position, I’d buy a police trade-in, strip it and clean it, put in a new recoil spring, add better sights, then get a Kydex holster and five or six spare mags.

Also, there’s nothing wrong with a revolver if you train with it enough to become proficient with it.

Okie John

bakercountyboy
12-07-11, 13:36
M&P 9mm

Joe R.
12-07-11, 13:39
Gen 3 Glock 19, no question.

Cosmo M3
12-07-11, 13:43
if you can find a pre-2010 GEN3 Glock 19, go for that

SteveL
12-07-11, 13:45
I'm a fan of the M&P over the Glock for ergonomic reasons, but you can't go wrong with a Glock.

Detmongo
12-07-11, 13:58
3rd gen. glock 19.

Noodle
12-07-11, 14:09
RE 9mm's:

No one on this forum will tell you the glock is a poor choice. I have a Gen 3 G19. Works great, just don't like the feel.

I have a CZ 75B. The most accurate pistol I own. Very fun steel gun!!

If I had to pick just one though, it would be my P99 (I have the AS model). Great feel, melts in you hand. Nice size, excellent for CC, light weight, feeds all ammo, nice trigger.

I would not overrule the XDM...

dirvo85
12-07-11, 14:29
M&P 9c, 9 full size, Walther PPQ 9mm, and Glock 19? Doesn't sound like you have a bad choice in there. My largest handgun is a M&P 9c, right now. I carry it mostly iwb in a crossbreed supertuck or comp-tac infidel but I just picked up a RCS Phantom with owb attachments. I also own x-grip attachments for 17round mags.

I am not a fan of glocks. I almost bought a g19 back when I bought the 9c. I'm heavily considering a Walther PPQ 9mm or an HK p2000 or p30 if I can find a low enough price.

Go to the range and try to rent all your choices. Pick which one you think feels and shoots the best but also take quality and reliability in to consideration.

Failure2Stop
12-07-11, 14:43
What pistol should I buy for practical use? (http://www.f2sconsulting.com/What_pistol_should_I_buy.html)
(oringially posed on my website)

A frequent question posed to individuals like me, gunstore employees, and on the internet revolve around the initial purchase of a defensive or practical use pistol. By this I am talking about a pistol that is intended to protect the safety of one's self or loved ones. I am not talking about "game" guns or hunting pistols, there are others far more qualified than me to discuss these topics. However, if you are shopping for a pistol for practical use, here is what I recommend:

Ignore minutia.
There are highly skilled users that have highly evolved preferences that make enough of a difference in their performance to seek specific options or features. These preferences will most likely not make much of a difference to the practical user, and in some cases may be detrimental. There are also numerous internet "experts" that have formed strong preferences based off of reading the opinons of specific experts and not off of individual experience. While the opinions of subject matter experts are certainly valuable (otherwise I argue myself into irrelevance as well), the direct experience of the expert is what makes it pertinent. The knowledge and performance behind the words are what makes the information worth paying attention to.

Upgrade critical parts early, and preference parts after experience.
Critical parts for immediate upgrade is a short list; sights and hand dominance parts. Very few pistols come from the factory with acceptable sights. I have a few sights that I use as "go-to" solutions. I can't say that they are always the "best of the best", but I can say that they work for practical use, which is a balance of speed and precision.

Most pistols are configured for right-handed shooters, with a few truly ambidexterous options. Left handed shooters should replace parts as necessary to ensure positive manipulation with the primary shooting hand. It is rare that a slide stop can be switched to the opposite side of the pistol, but other options such as magazine releases and safeties/decockers frequently can, and should be switched to support the dominant hand.

Keep support equipment in mind when purchasing a pistol.
Support equipment includes magazines, replacement/spare parts, holsters, magazine pouches, and ammunition.
There are some really neat pistols that come to market each year, all of them promising to be the next best thing, and many of them do hold the potential to excel. The problem is that new designs usually do not have a simultaneous release of support equipment. The "next best gun" is of little use if the user cannot carry it, shoot it, or fix it when it breaks. Breakage is a very real concern, even for those weapons that promise infallability. Every mechanical item will eventually fail. Every pistol will eventually break. It may happen at 2,000 rounds or at 200,000, but it will eventually happen. I recommend that a user do some research and figure out what parts have the highest failure occurrence, keep a replecement on hand, and know how to replace it. Those pistols that have a high acceptance rate by police departments will have more support gear available, as will older designs with high ownership.

So, what pistol should I get?
The easiest answer, and the one I recommend is this:
Buy a Gen3 G19, 5 mags, good holster that fits your use, a decent mounted light (I prefer the X300), 2 belt pouches, 5,000 rounds of decent practice ammo, and swap the sights for a good set (I personally like Warren and Heinie, but there are other very good options).
Attend 2 classes from well-regarded trainers and shoot all of your training ammo before considering a platform swap.

It will give you an excellent fundamental base and reference for advancement.

No, I don't think that the G19 is the be-all, end-all when it comes to pistols, but they are easy to fix, easy to find accessories for, well documented, wide spread, well known, and since they are so popular, if you do decide to go to another platform it will be very easy to sell the pistol and accessories without giving it away.

DeltaSierra
12-07-11, 14:53
OP, the best advice has already been given.

Go with a Glock 19, Gen 2 or Gen 3.

I carry a Gen 3 Glock 19, and I am more than satisfied with it.

The Glock 19 is probably the best choice for a handgun, whether it is your first, or tenth handgun simply due to the availability of spare parts, magazines and resale value.

arjohnson
12-07-11, 14:57
I currently don't have a G19 but I do have 6 Glocks, 3 G17's two of which are gen2's and 1 gen3. G30, G33 and a G35, all are older models (pre 2006) and all have functioned 100% with no extraction issues.

I have had plenty of G19's both 2nd and 3rd gen guns with zero issues as well.

With that said I would do as others have said and get yourself a pre 2010 G19 either gen2 or 3 and you should have a gun that will do everything you want it to do.

Nephrology
12-07-11, 15:13
Gen 3 Glock 19. Get one used for 450 or under and call it a day.

Also, I will add, the odds of you getting a working gun (even a Gen 4!) are much much much higher than they are of you getting a lemon. This holds true for the M&P9 as well. That said, stick with the Gen 3s just to ensure that your chances of drawing the short straw are as low as possible.

BCmJUnKie
12-07-11, 15:17
Now dont go and rule out a Gold plated S&W 500!!

warpigM-4
12-07-11, 15:23
Had a Glock, sold the Glock
I searched Gunbroker and found a great deal on a Used HK 45 Compact for 600.00 .
I would look and see what you can find .I carried my Glock for almost 7 years But I would Not trade My HK for anything,
I love the hell out of it and to me it was a Better Fit for me than the Glock.
But again it is your choice to choose the Handgun that fits your needs and budget .

Nephrology
12-07-11, 15:25
Now dont go and rule out a Gold plated S&W 500!!

I would go for the Desert Eagle myself, get a little more bling factor in there for your dollar.

Doc Safari
12-07-11, 15:35
Gen 2 Glock 17 or 19, before all the metal injection molded strikers and cast extractors turned Glock into a pistol that you can expect to install aftermarket parts on.

Pistol Shooter
12-07-11, 16:39
Save a bit more for the HK P30 if you can.

Sorry guys, I respect Glock but the ergos just don't work for me.

Moltke
12-07-11, 16:41
Go to a range and rent. Then once you do, buy the Glock 19.

13MPG
12-07-11, 17:03
As others have said, it would be a good idea to try out the ones you are interested in before you buy.

For me the G19 wins every time. I do have a gen 4 that has not given me any issues *knock on wood*. With that being said a M&P FS 9 I recently got a smoking deal on is a solid performer, The trigger was horrible from the factory but recently installed APEX parts solved that.

Axcelea
12-07-11, 17:27
To echo, Glock 19. My personal choice if I had to pick one I currently own, that said if I got spun back in time and I didn't own one the M&P 9 would cause me some debate as it was Glock vs XD at that time to the large extent and not many will say I made the wrong choice there. So check out the M&P and Glock.

Voodoo_Man
12-07-11, 17:30
I carry a Gen4 G21 on duty.

I would rather carry a G17 (whatever gen).

I carry a gen4 g19 off duty.

When I go to training (outside dept) all guys there usually have g17/g19's...once in a while a Sig.

I love my g19. It does everything I want and more.

godsmack
12-07-11, 20:01
I would like to add another choice, the smith&wesson SD9. A little cheaper than a G19 or an M&P9. I have one with just over 1200 rounds through it and although the trigger was a bit gritty and heavy when new, it has improved a lot with dry fire and actual live fire. Apex does have a trigger kit coming out soon, I was a beta tester and although the kit did improve the trigger some I switched the OEM parts back.

IMO they are a great value for the money.

CumbiaDude
12-07-11, 21:27
+1 to the Glock 19 love (mine's a Gen 3, but before they switched extractors).

I do own only one (model of) handgun: G19I have two, but the other is a Hi-Point :D

Omega Man
12-07-11, 22:41
If you could have only one handgun???

I do own only one (model of) handgun: G19

I believe repetition is a key to proficiency.

I'm not a natural pistol shooter like many folks.

It takes constant practice, and I look for every advantage I can get.

Shooting the exact same pistol provides an advantage, and a good form of repetition.

Edit: Forgot: I do own a Colt Detective - I hate that thing.

This 100%!

BCmJUnKie
12-07-11, 22:49
I would go for the Desert Eagle myself, get a little more bling factor in there for your dollar.

I have a buddy with one, nickel plated, I think its gold or maybe just nickel.

Hes always putting pics of it on facebook.

I feel like throwin up everytime I see it. Its his Defense weapon of choice. .44 With soft points.

I was hoping he would have got rid of it after his AR purchase.

He gets pretty butthurt when I bring it up though haha

Failure2Stop
12-07-11, 23:23
I would like to add another choice, the smith&wesson SD9.

What holsters/mag pouches are available for them?
Who offers sights for them?
What kind of parts support is there for them?

davebee456
12-07-11, 23:43
"if you can find a pre-2010 GEN3 Glock 19, go for that"

I agree you can find RTF2 Glock 19's and Glock 17's New In Box from 2009 still..
You can find a slightly used Glock 19 with box and mags for around $399.00 to 440.00 and thats what you should get.

The Glock 17 is great too! but if you are planning on CCW/Concealed Permit carry get the Glock 19 and then put night sights on it.

QuickStrike
12-08-11, 00:01

The HK's are good but:

Just because it no feel gud in your hands doesn't mean it's unergonomic. A beginner to pistols really have no point of reference anyway. The controls and their locations aren't unusual compared to most modern pistols.

IMO along with price, this "feel" business probably sell more crappy guns like the XD's than anything else.

It'll feel better after a couple thousand rounds and lots of dry-firing/presentations. Which you should be doing anyhoo.

JonInWA
12-08-11, 08:18
I'd recommend a Gen 3 or Gen4 G19, or a Gen 3 or Gen4 G17. I believe that if you get a new production Gen4, the issues have been resloved-but you might still prefer a Gen 3.

A G17 is not difficult to conceal (but a G19 is easier). I'd make my decision based on how I index with the receiver-the G17 has a significantly enlarged trailing edge hump.

Best, Jon

loupav
12-08-11, 16:03

+1. HKs are worth the cashola. Save up a bit more.

godsmack
12-08-11, 16:48
What holsters/mag pouches are available for them?
Who offers sights for them?
What kind of parts support is there for them?

As for holsters, they will use any holster that fits a sigma. Sites, they use the same night sites as the M&P. I have not had to order parts but I am sure smith would sell anything you would want.

Point taken though, the glock will have a ton more accessories available, but that is true of almost any other handgun you could name other than the 1911 platform.

PhilM
12-08-11, 17:54
+1. HKs are worth the cashola. Save up a bit more.
+2. P30 is sick accurate.

Odglock
12-08-11, 18:49
Only one? Then I would locate an Austrian proofed G19.

munch520
12-08-11, 19:36
Everyone's said it, but I agree with the early gen3 19s. The 2s are great but I like the light rail.

I got a bit of an odd ball, late 2010 Glock 19..gen3 frame, gen4 slide finish and gen4 extractor. Shot the piss out of it and the extractor issues pretty much went away. Still some brass to the face though. Working through a gen2 OEM extractor currently and haven't caught any cases to the face yet.

No shortage of parts, holsters, and knowledge on the Glock lineup, especially the 17 and 19. The support group is there, both in terms of gear and advice. And they're real easy to 'work' on.

Evan_O
12-09-11, 00:04
Everyone's said it, but I agree with the early gen3 19s. The 2s are great but I like the light rail.

I got a bit of an odd ball, late 2010 Glock 19..gen3 frame, gen4 slide finish and gen4 extractor. Shot the piss out of it and the extractor issues pretty much went away. Still some brass to the face though. Working through a gen2 OEM extractor currently and haven't caught any cases to the face yet.

No shortage of parts, holsters, and knowledge on the Glock lineup, especially the 17 and 19. The support group is there, both in terms of gear and advice. And they're real easy to 'work' on.

I absolutely agree with this. The gen3 G19 is what I carry on duty, off duty and anytime in between. Damn good guns that are more accurate than most.

duece71
12-09-11, 07:01
Glock products if I have to have only one handgun. I have 2 Gen 3s and they are wonderful.

jp0319
12-09-11, 08:53
At this point in time I would say Glock 19, that being said I am very near trying out an M&P. I have herd great things about them and with all of the Apex Tactical goodies for them they may pull me away from my Glocks. But that remains to be seen, right now if I could only have 1 Hand Gun it would be a Gen 3 Glock 19.

JP

Blstr88
12-09-11, 09:34
I'll stray from the norm here and suggest a Beretta.

I got my Beretta 96A1 for $529 brand new and I LOVE it. I LOVE the feel of a METAL gun, the polymer stuff isnt for me. I also love the Beretta because it comes with a thumb safety switch unlike most other models nowadays. I won't argue that a Glock or M&P isnt safe for carry, thats silly...but personally when Im carrying a handgun I like knowing there is a safety switch, switched to safety.

Theres the 92A1 if you'd prefer 9mm, or 96A1 in .40...same gun, just different calibers.

boomhower
12-09-11, 09:36
If only one it would be a Glock 23. Enough capacity, still small enough to conceal, dead nuts reliable, and able to shoot three calibers with only barrel/magazine changes.

Glocks aren't my favorite guns or what I shoot the best but if I can only have on pistol it's the best all around choice for me.

Univibe
12-09-11, 15:50
For saving your life, either the 1911 or the Browning Hi-Power.

suthrncop66
12-09-11, 17:06
For me it would probably be a Sig 229...I have carried glocks and although I like them, if I only could have one it would be the sig...If it were a glock it would be the 22

Warg
12-09-11, 18:34
I've learned the hard way by buying/selling/trading many handguns over the past several years including:

Glock 17
Glock 19
Glock 26
FNP 45
HK 45
HK 45C
HK P30
HK P7M8
Sig P226
Sig P229
Sig P239
Sig 2022
Sig P220
Walther PPS
Walther PPK
Walther PPQ
Ruger LCP
Ruger LCR
Ruger LC9
SW 642

Probably others- heck I can't remember. :eek:

Some were purchased out of curiousity (please do not do that) many of these were purchased for collecting and some for the spouse. I had no illusions of mastering them all, but would like to have some of that "trial time" added back to what I ended up using most of the time (see below).

I've carried and shot all of them in an effort to find the best one for me. As expected, the full size pistols are more difficult to conceal than others and usually less comfortable- even for a big guy. A few I felt were marginal for defensive purposes due to the round, capacity or reliability. My favorites among these are the HK45C, HK P30, HK P7M8, Glock 17, Glock 19, Sig P229, PPS, and the PPQ.

The only one I continually go back to is the Glock 19. The trigger isn't my favorite, but it's certainly good enough. It conceals very well, is light, reliable, has more than adequate capacity, is inexpensive to maintain, and it's easy to find OEM and aftermarket parts.

I'd stronly recommend making your selection and getting a duplicate for the bulk of the range sessions/backup when possible.

Giff74
12-09-11, 18:51
WOW, thanks for the awesome replies!

Guess it really comes down to the Glock 19, M & P or maaaaaaybe the P30. My local dealer has a Glock "shooters" package right now; a new gen 3 19 with 3 mags for $527 and they even throw in a Glock range bag. That seems like a pretty good deal to me.

I guess a G19 and a few thousand rounds and I know if I made the right decision.

Thanks for all the great help!

m39nut
12-09-11, 19:08
Has Smith worked out all of the issues on the current issue M&P? I had an early M&P and had just about every issue that the early M&P had. I will say that Smith was great at fixing all of the issues though.

vigilant2
12-09-11, 19:22
Another vote for Glock 19, I have 5 of them , one a problem free Gen4 (my fav) at 3800 rounds.

davebee456
12-09-11, 23:43
I too have bought and traded so many guns it is sad,
but with my current collection I am happy and might add one or two in the future.

Past buys and trades
Glock 17
Glock 19
Glock 26
Glock 21SF
HK 45C
HK P2000SK
HK P7M8
Sig P226
Sig P220
Colt XSE 1911
Springfield Mil Spec 1911
Colt series 70 1911
XD45
Ruger LCP
M&P45

my collection now is
G17, G19, G26,
Hk 45C, Colt 1911 Series 70 and S&W 642 No Lock.
I do want a HK P30 or A HK45 Fullsize but that is all...

But if it was only one again it would be
GLOCK 19 Gen 3.

tpd223
12-10-11, 09:52
Glock 19. Then save up for the Advantage Arms .22 kit.