PDA

View Full Version : The CompBullet Reduces Recoil With "Rocket" Vents

rezin23
12-07-11, 12:28
New recoil reducing bullet.

http://gizmodo.com/5865769/the-compbullet-reduces-recoil-with-rocket-vents

ucrt
12-07-11, 12:46

Might help a little with recoil but if those holes aren't perfectly symetrical and identical in size, chamfer, etc., I would think it would have the same effect as a damaged barrel crown?

But maybe it's just me...

Failure2Stop
12-07-11, 13:15
This is silly.
Any effect is going to be minimal. Look at the size of the ports in any decent brake and compare it to the size of the holes in the bullet.
The holes will also only vent gas for that very short time between when the holes are exposed and the base of the bullet leaves the muzzle, as opposed to a muzzle mounted brake that is being acted on by the gas pressure for an exponentially longer duration. Really all it is going to do is slightly enlongate the depressurization of the barrel to begin while the bullet is still in the bore. Gas already dissipates radially from the bore when any projectile leaves the barrel.
Add to that the fact that unless the holes are held to extremely tight tolerances the bullet is going to be upset by the jets of gas as it exits the bore.
The bullets are also going to have to be much longer to achieve the same weight, or will be way lighter than similarly sized bullets.
Even more negatives- the weight of the bullet will be much more forward, causing the projectile to be more stable in tissue, reducing upset.

Whoever came up with this should be awarded the "most useless concept" trophy and forced to pick up brass for all eternity.

kartoffel
12-07-11, 13:39
There's a sucker born every minute. Whoever came up with these things will probably sell enough of them to turn a profit. I wonder what TOS thinks? :p

glocktogo
12-07-11, 14:10
Any miniscule benefit from this obviously much more expensive bullet design will be completely overshadowed by the loss of sectional density. :no:

militarymoron
12-07-11, 14:32
thinking out loud here...i'm wondering whether the now-hollow bullet with ports might result in inconsistencies in powder burn.
if we assume that the powder charge isn't compressed and that the bullet and ports are not somehow completely filled with powder before loading, then the amount of powder that finds itself filling or lodged in the ports might be different, depending on how the round is shaken or oriented just before it's fired.
i have no idea whether it's assumed that ALL the powder will be consumed - whether it's in the case, bullet and ports during the bullet's time in the barrel. but if it's not, and the amount that's burned is inconsistent, that could lead to velocity variations, and more unburnt particles coming out the ports when the bullet exits the muzzle...which might lead to more crown erosion, comp and flash hider erosion, and more muzzle flash. and more buddies pissed off when more unburnt particles hit them when they're beside you shooting.

a0cake
12-07-11, 16:50
FDE?

Sorry.

5pins
12-07-11, 20:56
Someone will have to explain to me how in the world this is going to reduce recoil in any way. A comp uses the gas to push or pull the rifle away from the shooter, reducing the felt recoil to the shooter. I can see no possible way this bullet can have any effect at all.

MegademiC
12-07-11, 21:31
this is what happens when people think too much and shoot too little. Isnt a bullet more stable in flight with all the weight to the back(this may be a negative for this bullet)? Add up all the other negatives all ready discussed... I wonder if the ports will have the same effect as golf-ball divits and cause the bullet to drift to the right(rh twist). Im gonna wager that the recoil effects will only be noticable with certain equiptment. Gimmik of the year?

GunnutAF
12-07-11, 22:40
Them be some expensive machine bullets! Totally useless as bullets but expensive!:rolleyes:

KhanRad
12-08-11, 09:40
You can wrap a turd in bacon and sell it to the right crowd. Some suckers are just born to throw away their money on snake oil.