PDA

View Full Version : SBR Build Question

SilentSniperVT
12-07-11, 19:04
I want to start my Bravo Company 11.5'' SBR Build my Question is how can i get the Upper receiver to build it without the risk of "Manufacturing an Unregistered/Illegal Firearm''. Can i Weld a bolt and washer through the take down pin holes? Any other ways to prevent this from happening so i can assemble the upper as i wait for the Paperwork to clear ATF?

eternal24k
12-07-11, 19:12
you can get a pistol buffer tube and build it as a pistol, no need to do anything drastic

devinsdad
12-07-11, 21:04
Upper isn't regulated, build 10 of tthem if you want. Leave the lower at a friends or relatives house if you must.

Iraqgunz
12-08-11, 00:26
You could start by reading some of the threads in the NFA section. There is no need to do something silly like weld bolts through the holes. Everyone acts like the BATFE is lurking on their doorstep or something.

If you are terrified by purchasing an upper I suggest staying away from NFA items altogether.

Order the upper, keep it put away or at another residence if it makes you feel better and don't broadcast to the entire world via the internet what you are doing.

markm
12-08-11, 07:15
Get your upper when it's available. If you wait for those goofballs to get your papers back to you, you might be shit out of luck on availability by then.

You don't want to be standing there with a approval in 8 months, and no upper available. :(

Pappabear
12-08-11, 07:17
I want to start my Bravo Company 11.5'' SBR Build my Question is how can i get the Upper receiver to build it without the risk of "Manufacturing an Unregistered/Illegal Firearm''. Can i Weld a bolt and washer through the take down pin holes? Any other ways to prevent this from happening so i can assemble the upper as i wait for the Paperwork to clear ATF?

All this is very doable, it must however be done in a secret cave. And when welding, use proper eye protection. Just bullshitting obviously, your only problem will be your stamp is probably four hundred light years away. ATF has apparently closed down for 2011 and into the foreseeable future. I called about my stamps and they said they are in that cave where all the welding is done- fu%$ me. :mad:

Robssrt-4
12-11-11, 05:20
I myself have been wondering about adding a SBR to my set up. Any suggestions on a good manufacturer or place to start to buy one. Im looking for a detachable Tan SBR.

eternal24k
12-11-11, 07:40
I myself have been wondering about adding a SBR to my set up. Any suggestions on a good manufacturer or place to start to buy one. Im looking for a detachable Tan SBR.

what do you mean by "detachable tan SBR"?

Robssrt-4
12-11-11, 07:42
sorry i ment to say tan suppresor. :suicide2: and ask what is the best SBR right now to go with. Im new to alot of these acronyms so sorry if i post up the wrong thing lol.

Eurodriver
12-11-11, 08:03
All this is very doable, it must however be done in a secret cave. And when welding, use proper eye protection. Just bullshitting obviously, your only problem will be your stamp is probably four hundred light years away. ATF has apparently closed down for 2011 and into the foreseeable future. I called about my stamps and they said they are in that cave where all the welding is done- fu%$ me. :mad:

This made me laugh so hard that for some reason I read it to my wife.

She didn't get it. :rolleyes: Silly woman.

Hmac
12-11-11, 08:07
sorry i ment to say tan suppresor. :suicide2: and ask what is the best SBR right now to go with. Im new to alot of these acronyms so sorry if i post up the wrong thing lol.

Noveske makes some great rifles and for an SBR I think that would be a great way to go. You can buy an SBR from them in 10.5, 12.5, or 14.5 inch barrel lengths and get them with a flash hider that will accept a suppressor, not to mention their switchblock which will allow you to adjust gas pressure.

Bear in mind that before you can take possession of such a rifle, or a suppressor, you need to have your NFA Form 4's approved and pay the $200 tax for both the SBR and the suppressor. And make sure that SBR's and/or suppressors are legal in your state.

Robssrt-4
12-11-11, 08:19
Noveske makes some great rifles and for an SBR I think that would be a great way to go. You can buy an SBR from them in 10.5, 12.5, or 14.5 inch barrel lengths and get them with a flash hider that will accept a suppressor, not to mention their switchblock which will allow you to adjust gas pressure.

Bear in mind that before you can take possession of such a rifle, or a suppressor, you need to have your NFA Form 4's approved and pay the $200 tax for both the SBR and the suppressor. And make sure that SBR's and/or suppressors are legal in your state.

Awesome thank you very much for the info. Im in the process of applying with the forms for both a SBR and suppresor so that by the time that taxes come back to me i can buy them quicker. How long does it generally take to get the paper work back to buy Class 3 items. I live in NV, both are legal as long as you do the forms and pay the 200$ tax stamp.

Hmac
12-11-11, 08:56
Awesome thank you very much for the info. Im in the process of applying with the forms for both a SBR and suppresor so that by the time that taxes come back to me i can buy them quicker. How long does it generally take to get the paper work back to buy Class 3 items. I live in NV, both are legal as long as you do the forms and pay the 200$ tax stamp.

Uh...not sure what you're asking here... I think you're confused. ATF Form 4 is a permit to transfer an individual item so you actually have to own each item before it can be transferred to you. In the case of the SBR, you have to provide a serial number of the rifle. First you buy the item, then it's held until you've paid the $200 tax and your application is approved. It will take 3-6 months to get the paperwork to be able to take possession of these NFA items.

Unless you mean you're applying for an FFL with SOT to be a dealer in Title II weapons (the so-called "Class 3 FFL"). That's a whole other can of worms, hassle, and expensive. And IIUC, about a 10% chance of being approved by ATF, especially if you're talking about trying to run your show out of a private residence.

Robssrt-4
12-11-11, 09:08
Uh...not sure what you're asking here... I think you're confused. ATF Form 4 is a permit to transfer an individual item so you actually have to own the item before it can be transferred to you. In the case of the SBR, you have to provide a serial number of the rifle. It will take months for you to be able to legally possess these items and there's really no way to speed up the process.

Unless you mean you're applying for an FFL with SOT to be able to deal in Title II weapons. That's a whole other can of worms, hassle, and expensive. And IIUC, about a 10% chance of being approved by ATF, especially if you're talking about trying to run your show out of a private residence.

Thank you for clearing things up for me, i was the one confused, there are so many ways to go about building my gun, im barley getting into everything so im getting info from all sides, 99% of which is not even right. Hence why i joined this forum,to get some actuall expert info from other M4 owners. Thank you very much for your help it is greatly appreciated.

Hmac
12-11-11, 09:20
Thank you for clearing things up for me, i was the one confused, there are so many ways to go about building my gun, im barley getting into everything so im getting info from all sides, 99% of which is not even right. Hence why i joined this forum,to get some actuall expert info from other M4 owners. Thank you very much for your help it is greatly appreciated.

If you're talking about building an SBR...that's different. In that case you would apply on ATF Form 1. The process is pretty well described around here...use the orange search button at the top of the page. A good place to start is the thread "How to SBR your lower".

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9830