PDA

View Full Version : Is 2000 + rounds a lot on a 24 varmiter barrel

Rentprop1
12-07-11, 19:45
I'm looking to buy a 24 inch stainless Varmiter barrel for a really good price $ 125 for barrel, gas block and cas tube, only catch is I'm buying it from the second owner and he said he put 2000 rounds through it, manufacturer is unknown and the number of round the original owner put through it is unknown

pass or grab it for the hell of it ....??:confused:

Stickman
12-07-11, 20:04
The cynical cop side of me would say someone took the barrel off the upper and is selling it so you can't test it for groups as easily.

a0cake
12-07-11, 20:12
Pass. I'll never buy a used precision barrel. A true match grade barrel should be cleaned with a bore guide and a one piece rod so that no harm is done. Who knows if one of those previous owners thought it was a good idea to jackhammer a stainless steel brush back and forth inside of the barrel like a lunatic? Do you trust the guy enough to believe that when he says it was cleaned properly he's not just telling you what you want to hear? Maybe one of the previous owners thought plugging the barrel and leaving gasoline in it overnight was a good idea.

A bit extreme? Yes. But that's the kind of shit that runs through my mind when looking at used barrels.

Now, if it's somebody that I know and trust, I'm way less hesitant.

Belmont31R
12-07-11, 20:39
It depends on the seller. Some here I would trust but not from a dude with 30 posts and first time selling.

My general opinion of firearms and shooting in general is that if you do actually shoot your guns (not half a box of ammo a year deer hunters) then its worth the money to actually buy quality stuff. I don't care what someone claims I would not buy anything from anyone who didn't actually know what product they even have (unless its a Ferrari Enzo for $1k).

If you're going to take the time and money to actually shoot precision oriented stuff you might as well pay the extra and get a new barrel or used upper from a reputable person. A $400 barrel is cheap when you're shooting $20/box of ammo and shoot 3-5k rounds a year out of it.

There are also cheaper but still good barrel choices like CLE and WOA. I would think your 'time' and $$$ would be worth a couple hundred more than taking the risk of buying a dud or abused barrel off someone (depending on who they are).

Rentprop1
12-07-11, 20:49
this is on a local gun forum and I sort know ( have met ) the guy before, I think he was into reloading so maybe he took care of it , I'm waiting on some answers to questions I asked him, I was just planning to plink around with it, probably shoot some cheap stuff ( not wolf ) , ranges near me are only 100 yds anyways.

so, for the asking price of $ 125, even with the GB and the gas tube ?? you guys would still pass, the El cheap-o barrels start at $ 99 :confused:

worst cast I could have it turned and cut down into a 8 inch pistol barrel or some other project barrel

Stickman
12-07-11, 23:03
so, for the asking price of $ 125, even with the GB and the gas tube ?? you guys would still pass, the El cheap-o barrels start at $ 99 :confused:

You would appear to have already made up your mind, and are looking for validation.

It is a no name barrel with an unknown history that you can't test fire, and you want it because its got a cheap price tag. A good friend would tell you that you are being stupid, I'll just point out you are thinking with your heart and not your head.

If you want it, and are willing to burn the money just to have something to play around with, that is cool and I can understand that.

Iraqgunz
12-07-11, 23:17
I wouldn't do it, but then again I am an "elitist". I know someone who purchased a used barrel and he was told it was like new, etc.... When he finally installed it and fired it, all the rounds keyholed at 25M. The barrel was toast.

Caveat Emptor and all that stuff.

Generalpie
12-08-11, 00:19
I assume stick is cynical from years of service, I KNOW I am.
I would pass and buy new.

Rentprop1
02-23-12, 22:58
wanted to give you guys an update, I ended up getting the barrel for about $ 70, this was Wolf .223 at 100yds, now I don't claim to be a world class shot, but I feel it still may have some life left on it......the second group was about the same , might have been me or the $ 99 scope in the rifle ???...either way I can live with it, and when its done , I'll cut it and turn it down to have an extra 8 inch pistol barrel
for the record the markings on it were Gunsmoke DCM
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/rentprop1guns/Picture002-2.jpg

Mr blasty
02-23-12, 23:26
It would be from this company (http://www.gunsmokeenterprises.net/index.html) then. I've seen better stuff out of a cheaper than dirt catalog.:rolleyes:

Odie Dozer
02-23-12, 23:34
Should have followed the advice you asked for, but it is your money. Good luck with that.

ra2bach
02-24-12, 13:02
2000 rds CAN be a lot on a precision barrel. it depends on what your expectations are. as always, define your intent and work to fill that - mission drives the gear.

given the group you've shown with the ammo you chose, I would say the price you paid is a good value. but what are your expectations?...

Rentprop1
03-01-12, 21:27
It would be from this company (http://www.gunsmokeenterprises.net/index.html) then. I've seen better stuff out of a cheaper than dirt catalog.:rolleyes:

thats correct I remember that guy at So Fla gun shows peddling RRA guns when no one knew who they were ,I think he got into some BATF trouble and is in the clink now.

EXPECTATIONS , none really just wanted a long 24 inch barrel, as long as they didn't tumble I'm pretty happy....;)

like I have said I can always turn it and cut it down into a pistol barrel :rolleyes:

Spiffums
03-02-12, 16:25
I'll just point out you are thinking with your heart and not your head.

How many cars get bought that way I wonder? It's like how you never see the dings and scratches on a car on the used lot. Or notice the grips don't line up on a gun.