PDA

View Full Version : Travel case selection

Trepidation
12-07-11, 22:33
Getting ready to make a trip, but I find myself in a bit of a jam finding a case for my rifle (and whatever else I can cram in).

Pelican makes great cases, anything in stores though, seem to be pretty big. Just about every airline out there, limits dimensions to 63" or 62" total. So the sum of each dimension must not exceed 63", or risk being charged as an oversized item... to the tune of 200 dollars.

Has anyone jumped through these hoops before when it comes to size? I did read the sticky, but didn't want it to turn into a case shopping thread.

I'd like to fit my AR (collapsible stock, 16" barrel) and/or my saiga-12. Fitting both is likely not possible, but would be SUPER cool if I could.

Brennan
12-07-11, 22:40
Break the upper and lower into 2 pieces. This will save you a lot of room in your case.

This isn't a hard case, but this is what I use. I fit my complete rifle, optics, vfg, 6 magazines, and other miscellaneous items in it. You just need to get creative when you're trying to save room and money. So, yes. I still say go with a Pelican for traveling... This will just give you more ideas.

26" x 12" x 3.5"

http://www.laruetactical.com/covert-rifle-case

KYPD
12-07-11, 23:53
I have done this many times. Most airlines have exceptions to the max dim rules in the case of musical or sporting equipment such as cello cases, skis, scuba gear, and rifle cases. I went through this with United Airlines and Delta just last summer at LAX and SFO. They did not cut me any slack for the number of check-in items or the max weight per item, but there was no problem checking in two long Pelikan cases. Note that these were international flights, however. Check with the airlines website, and print a copy of the regs to show them at the check-in counter in case of idiot-nazi encounter. Make sure you are within the weight restrictions. Make sure the case has a lock. Be ready for TSA inspection at check-in. The key thing is the experience and intelligence and attitude of the airline and TSA personnel you deal with at check-in. If they know their own rules, then everything will be fine. If they don't, play the cheerful country boy in the big city, say "shucks, maam," and politely ask to speak with their supervisor. Arrive at the check-in counter early enough to sift fools.

mkmckinley
12-08-11, 00:17
I just use one of the smaller Pelican cases, I believe it's a 1700, for flying with guns. Even if it's just a handgun the 1700 is harder to steal but small enough to carry around easily. Also, bring at least two locks. I almost missed a flight in Oakland because the TSA agent insisted I have two.

Smash
12-08-11, 08:19
+1 on pelican 1700. Break your AR down and you can fit it with pistols and other items. Even the 1720 busts US Airways dimensions. And don't put a bunch of gun decals all over the outside.

WEJTWO
12-08-11, 08:55
Good bit of personal experience flying with rifles. Never had issue with dimensions on cases--even my largest Americase double rifle case (last flew with it in August on United and SAA). Like others have posted, my experience has been rifle cases are covered as an exception to dimensions. However, may want to check with a knowledgeable person with your airline and then print out that policy from their website and keep with you as you travel. Can be fun interacting with ticketing/counter agents at times. Pelican is a great case. SKB has a case which seems almost designed for a M4 variant (I have one)--not too long or wide and believe within dimensions. Little lower price point than Pelican. Bought mine at Bass Pro several years ago.

KYPD
12-08-11, 20:29
And don't put a bunch of gun decals all over the outside.

I agree with the gun-related product decal suggestion. I used to travel internationally with gun cases every two weeks (20+ years ago) when I was living in Japan. Mostly, the cargo was antique swords and not guns, and worth a lot more than the same volume in guns. I put Fender Keyboard stickers on the cases to discourage pilfering. Seemed to work, and it definitely helped keep the customs and police personnel at Narita airport calmer than if there had been no markings suggesting the contents. The Japanese authorities get very excited when they see gun cases, and swords are also a big fricking deal that require inspection and registration.

The locks used on your guncase should be the best you can get, and the more uncommon the brand the better. The medium size Abus disc locks are a tight fit and can be a pain to close on a Pelican case, but can't be removed even with bolt cutters. Also, keys for Abus locks (unlike Masterlocks or their Chinese clones) are not common. Won't stop TSA, who have every key ever made, but it will stop baggage handlers from quickly popping the locks and stealing opticals, etc. Of course, no case is safe if a thief is willing to spend the time to use a bi-metal hacksaw on the lock hasps, :moil: but you will catch that sort of damage right away when your baggage comes out. If you pass through customs before noticing theft, and informing the airlines, you are SOL.

Trepidation
12-08-11, 22:08
And don't put a bunch of gun decals all over the outside.

Funny you mention that, because if I was able to swing a 1750, I planned to put a bunch of guitar stickers on it and stencil an Ibanez logo with spray paint on it.

United, continental, american and delta pretty much have similar rules. Delta's are slightly obscured, because it isn't listed on their sporting goods and specialty regulations. However, in the general rules, it specifically states a maximum dimensions. Kudos to those who get away with larger, in fact the last time I was in Austin, TX I saw two gentlemen towing 1750's.

All this trouble so I can go shooting with my 68 year old mom. Is it worth it? F Yeah!

PT Doc
12-10-11, 13:01
What would be the smallest size Pelican case that would still allow 2 16 inch ARs to fit inside? One w/ EOTech and one w/ Aimpoint and no other gear.

NitroDave08
12-13-11, 03:29
Plano Gun Guard. Very close to the Pelican for 1/2 the price. They actually stepped up their game from the
paper thin cases.

Different sizes This is the 108360 40"x16"x5.5". Key lock plus spots for padlocks. Manual pressure relief.
Pluck Foam. This is my Xmas present so I am not able to cut it yet :(

http://www.planomolding.com/2010/07/all_weather_series/

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=449&pictureid=2310