PDA

View Full Version : SBR'ing a current lower?

Blstr88
12-08-11, 08:37
This is probably a dumb question, I dont see why the answer would be no, but I figured I'd ask the forum anyway.

I have a full Daniel Defense rifle I picked up about 18 months ago because my local shop was damn near giving them away. I've barely used it really but its a gorgeous rifle.

I'm starting to plan an SBR build and Im sitting here thinking, why dont I just use the DD lower that came on that rifle? Is there any reason I can't just engrave THAT lower, send in the paperwork on THAT lower, and SBR it? Then I figure I can just keep it on the DD rifle and use it as-is until my stamp comes back in 6 months, then pick out an upper for it.

Any issues with that?

markm
12-08-11, 08:41
No issues.

vinsonr
12-08-11, 08:59
There is a sticky in this forum...

How to SBR your lower by Scottryan (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9830)

Sounds like you are confusing buying a factory SBR (form 4) and registering your own (form 1).

Blstr88
12-08-11, 09:05
There is a sticky in this forum...

How to SBR your lower by Scottryan (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9830)

Sounds like you are confusing buying a factory SBR (form 4) and registering your own (form 1).

No I recognize the difference between Form 4 and Form 1, this would be a Form 1 of course.

I didnt think there would be any issue, its no different than me buying a lower and registering it as an SBR really...the only difference is the lower I bought came with an upper essentially.

Thanks, Im going to fill out my Form 1 with the info off my DD lower, get my DD lower engraved, and send in the form.

Eurodriver
12-08-11, 10:48
Thats what I did. I sold those uppers a long time ago and now I'm rocking a 10.3" and a 12.5".

You should be rocking an SBR too, around July. :D

davidjinks
12-08-11, 14:38
I bought my 6920, submitted my paper work, sent the lower out for engraving, waited for my stamp.......got my stamp, sent my upper out to be cut and I'm good to go.

There shouldn't be any issues with what you're asking.

Blstr88
12-08-11, 17:58
Thanks guys, yeah it was kind of a dumb question...I didnt see why there would be an issue with doing it that way but thought I'd ask.

So many people start the SBR process with a brand new lower thats never been on an upper, seems like it'd be a smarter move to SBR a proven lower.

I filled out the Form 1 papers today and dropped them off at my local PD. Should have em back Saturday and out they go...