PDA

View Full Version : Federal Court Rules Videotaping Police Is A First Amendment Right

Nathan_Bell
12-08-11, 09:19
http://peacefreedomprosperity.com/5618/federal-court-rules-videotaping-police-is-a-first-amendment-right/

Amazing it had to go this far.

Reagans Rascals
12-08-11, 09:51
while I agree its a non-issue, I do recall hearing that it's not legal to video tape anyone without consent...? if the police officer did not give consent would that be an issue, regardless of his occupation he's still a regular citizen with the same rights as everyone else

Nathan_Bell
12-08-11, 10:13
while I agree its a non-issue, I do recall hearing that it's not legal to video tape anyone without consent...? if the police officer did not give consent would that be an issue, regardless of his occupation he's still a regular citizen with the same rights as everyone else

Nope, if you are in public you should have no expectation of privacy.

5pins
12-08-11, 12:03
These laws should have been thrown out by the first judge to hear the case. Having to go this far up is ridiculous.

BCmJUnKie
12-08-11, 12:09
Nope, if you are in public you should have no expectation of privacy.

Absolutely. 100%

That goes for everyone. Police included.

If a pastor of a church was at a strip club he would be held to his actions.

Police taking it too far is no different

Irish
12-08-11, 12:12

The consent thing varies state to state and if you're in public there is no expectation of privacy that I'm aware of. As far as the police giving consent and having the same rights it doesn't apply due to their job. And if that is the case then we as citizens should have the same rights and should be asked for consent when they audio and video record us.

A police officer, on duty, is a public official and their public duties should be allowed to be videotaped as long as it doesn't interfere and present a danger to the officer. If the people who pay your salary want to observe and record your actions than there shouldn't be an issue as far as I'm concerned.

"A statute intended to prevent unwarranted intrusions into a citizen’s privacy cannot be used as a shield for public officials who cannot assert a comparable right of privacy in their public duties," wrote Circuit Court Judge David Frankland. "

Arresting people for videotaping police, which happens frequently, is only indicative of someone doing something wrong and not wanting to be held accountable for their actions.

BCmJUnKie
12-08-11, 12:17
Arresting people for videotaping police, which happens frequently, is only indicative of someone doing something wrong and not wanting to be held accountable for their actions.

This was going to be my next point.

If youre not doing anything wrong then what does it matter if youre taped??

We had video cameras installed in our shop last year.

Some of the employees were less than pleased.

They were fired for stealing a month later

Reagans Rascals
12-08-11, 12:43
[QUOTE=Irish;1163552] They were fired for stealing a month later

haha... there really isn't any other outcome that could be expected.

I welcome camera surveillance because it can be an asset in helping to backup your story if you're ever thrown in the fire.

Like has been stated, nothing to hide nothing to worry about. I was just unaware as to the assumption of privacy. I've just always heard that personal recordings of individuals, who were not made aware they were being recorded, were inadmissible in court.

Working as security for the local college watering hole a few years back, I was accused by police of assaulting a patron with a deadly weapon (the bottle taken from the patrons own hands as he tried to assault me with it)... after examining the surveillance footage of the struggle, taken from the Sheetz gas station across the street... the patrons broken elbow was then observed as a lesson learned, and not an unprovoked assault.

CoryCop25
12-08-11, 13:42
In PA, it is illegal to AUDIO tape without consent. I must ask permission to record voice while on a traffic stop or an interview. My video is running 100% of the time. Audio can be turned on or off for this purpose. Video has always helped me, not hurt me.

Reagans Rascals
12-08-11, 14:02
In PA, it is illegal to AUDIO tape without consent. I must ask permission to record voice while on a traffic stop or an interview. My video is running 100% of the time. Audio can be turned on or off for this purpose. Video has always helped me, not hurt me.

why would audio be of higher privacy concern than video?

CoryCop25
12-08-11, 14:02
why would audio be of higher privacy concern than video?

Very strict PA wiretap laws.

Reagans Rascals
12-08-11, 14:16
that's weird though, I graduated hs in Chambersburg, PA and then went to college a few years at Shipp and throughout the numerous times I was pulled over or had a house party crashed, I cant recall ever being asked for consent of audio recording.

but then again it is a Commonwealth and each place makes its own legislation... such as the shitass "privilage to work" tax...