PDA

View Full Version : Active Shooter at Va Tech

NeoNeanderthal
12-08-11, 12:25
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/08/reports-of-shots-fired-at-virginia-tech/?hpt=hp_t3

jwfuhrman
12-08-11, 12:30
But but how can this happen, schools are gun free zones

Reagans Rascals
12-08-11, 12:31
pretty soon they're gonna have to start selling SAPI's in the campus bookstore...

tb-av
12-08-11, 12:41
1:35 EST

LEO shot. No further details except it is still considered active and searching for shooter.

Eurodriver
12-08-11, 12:42
Guys, we need to end the gun control debate and actually do something to stop violence like this.

I suggest we ban hamburgers. It may be more effective than "gun free school zones" and anything is worth a shot for the children.

lengthofpull
12-08-11, 12:47
I would politely suggest posting this in a different section. Not sure if this belongs in "AR - General Discussion"

-LOP

Mauser KAR98K
12-08-11, 12:50
FOX is reporting that LE have arrested the guy.

Reagans Rascals
12-08-11, 12:51
Guys, we need to end the gun control debate and actually do something to stop violence like this.

I suggest we ban hamburgers. It may be more effective than "gun free school zones" and anything is worth a shot for the children.

ban or tax the hell out of soda... that is the single worst epidemic in our nation.... its literally just liquid fat being poured right into the body.. it doesn't even have the parasitic caloric loss associated with chewing... think of the superfluous amount of calories taken in by a teenager in a given day just by soda... its probably more than the daily requirement by itself... considering 5, 16 ounce bottles of soda is going to equal around 1000 calories... and a 16 ounce is considered a small at McDonalds...

the amount of money that could be collected on every single bottle or can of soda sold, simply by assessing a 3-5 cent tax... would cover our nations health care...

they tax the poop out of cigarettes and alcohol... but not soda... Obesity presents a larger threat to this nation than alcoholism and smoking...

tb-av
12-08-11, 12:53
Just reported confirmed 2 dead.

rhale
12-08-11, 12:56
Pyschotropic Drugs! Every single school shooting since Columbine the shooters has had a history of phychotropic drug use i.e. Ritalin, Wellbutrin, etc. Extreme side effects of violence and withdraw symptoms of depression/suicide.

We're fighting a war on drugs alright. It's just the wrong drugs!!

BCmJUnKie
12-08-11, 12:56
Hamburgers or soda??

Come on now THINK!

Its simple, we cut teachers salary.

Reagans Rascals
12-08-11, 12:59
Hamburgers or soda??

Come on now THINK!

Its simple, we cut teachers salary.

if we do that, I vote we take it from already underprivileged schools first.

Brimstone
12-08-11, 13:00
I would politely suggest posting this in a different section. Not sure if this belongs in "AR - General Discussion"

-LOP

It belongs in General, but the OP can't post there yet.

SHIVAN
12-08-11, 13:08
Two VA Tech threads merged in General Discussion. Thanks.

Mauser KAR98K
12-08-11, 13:12
LEO killed in traffic stop.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2011/12/08/shots-reported-fired-on-virginia-tech-campus/

markm
12-08-11, 13:15
More WORKPLACE VIOLENCE???

tb-av
12-08-11, 13:21
Shooter still on loose. 2:14 . Reports of any capture are false.

sadmin
12-08-11, 13:36
Terrible, prayers for the family and friends of the fallen.

That being said, I wonder what triggered the shooter, the queen of diamonds or a polka dot dress?

QuietShootr
12-08-11, 13:46
I would love for it to be a civilian with a carbine that stops one of these ****ers.

Reagans Rascals
12-08-11, 13:52
I would love for it to be a civilian with a carbine that stops one of these ****ers.

I watched a video of the University of Texas shooting, and there were probably 15-20 civilians on the ground shooting up at him to keep his head down while the deputy snuck up behind him with another group of citizens and put him down...

it was ****in beautiful to see

"As Martinez was firing, McCoy jumped to the right of him and fired two fatal shots of 00-buckshot with his 12-gauge shotgun into the head, neck, and left side of Whitman, who was sitting with his back toward the north wall in the northwest corner area 50 feet away. Whitman, who appeared to be unaware of the presence of Martinez and McCoy, was partially shielded by the deck tower lights and in a position to defend assaults from either corner.
After firing six rounds, Martinez threw his empty revolver onto the deck and grabbed McCoy's shotgun, running to Whitman's prone body and firing point blank into his upper left arm. Martinez then threw the shotgun on the deck and hurriedly left the scene repeatedly shouting, "I got him."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAET3gFy5E8

WillBrink
12-08-11, 14:17

As would we all. After the last one, a proff I know wrote:

"A terrible tragedy. I know, I teach on college campus.

Once he starts to act, the only thing that can stop a single, psychotic killer who is willing to die is the rapid delivery of counter fire by whoever is near. Cop, civilian, it doesn't matter who or their job status. The more people who are nearby and capable of delivering return fire, the fewer and less serious the injuries (there's criminological data on this).

Virginia Tech. is a "gun free" zone guaranteeing that the psychotic killer had the only gun. He came prepared. He waited until there were no police in sight and then commenced his murderous acts certain that he would encounter no effective resistance. And , he didn't. Twenty-one innocent*dead because there was no one capable of fighting back. All they could do was cower or run." -Professor Joseph Olson, J.D., LL.M., Hamline University School of Law

MikeCLeonard
12-08-11, 14:20
My god, I can hardly stand the anti-gun wits that poke their head's up to puke stunted rational on why situations like this prove why nobody should be able to own or carry guns.

Am I the only one that feels like it's okay to make initial judgments on a person's intelligence based on where they stand with firearms ownership?

I really think there are sub-species of humans that are incapable of higher rational thought...and the scary part is that they are ALL AROUND US!

And they drive cars too! These are the people that repeatedly almost kill me every other time I'm out on my motorcycle or driving to the store.

Stupid Kills

Reagans Rascals
12-08-11, 14:45
My god, I can hardly stand the anti-gun wits that poke their head's up to puke stunted rational on why situations like this prove why nobody should be able to own or carry guns.

Am I the only one that feels like it's okay to make initial judgments on a person's intelligence based on where they stand with firearms ownership?

I really think there are sub-species of humans that are incapable of higher rational thought...and the scary part is that they are ALL AROUND US!

And they drive cars too! These are the people that repeatedly almost kill me every other time I'm out on my motorcycle or driving to the store.

Stupid Kills

A liberal mind is blinded by rainbows.. they only see the good in what they do.. and that is often based on slippery slope illogical fallacies such as "removing the right to gun ownership will reduce gun crimes as a whole"

"A liberal will put the rights of the many on hold, to sustain the rights of one... A conservative will end the life of one, to sustain the lives of the many." -- JWM

tb-av
12-08-11, 15:28
Now reporting that 2nd dead body may in fact be shooter. This body was found in parking lot that is in direction eye witness said shooter ran to.

4:27 they are reporting all clear. Shooter dead. Resume normal activity

==================

Now there is a report from Caroline county with I-95 South closed, a LEO has been shot there. Not a good day for VA LEO's.

SHIVAN
12-08-11, 15:30
Now reporting that 2nd dead body may in fact be shooter.

Whoa....two hours (+/-) for them to figure this out? Scary efficiency.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-08-11, 17:37
Sounds like the LEO that died stayed in the fight long enough to get the job done. RIP

CarlosDJackal
12-09-11, 13:18
When will these guys ever get the sequence right. They're supposed to commit suicide before they take someone else's life!! :mad:

RIP to the Officer and my prayers go to his loved ones.

If anyone is interested, they have supposedly set up a fund to help his family.

AZ-Renegade
12-10-11, 16:04
Not to downplay the tragic loss of a law enforcement officer, but isn't it interesting how the media immediately labeled what ended up being a traffic stop gone bad [albeit on/near the campus] as another Virginia Tech shooting?

I guess after Fast and Furious fell on it's face, the anti-gunners are hard up for another incident on which to hang the "need" for further firearms regulation .

Or perhaps my disdain for the mainstream media is reading too much into this....

Mauser KAR98K
12-10-11, 21:21
I'm getting sick of hearing,"A ROUTINE traffic stop gone bad."

A traffic stop is never routine.

Reagans Rascals
12-10-11, 22:05
someone please explain to me, why police officers are not allowed to wear plates in their daily duties.... or to use a carbine in the same capacity as their service pistol... I think it might swing otherwise treacherous outcomes in the favor of the officers, if the perp see's the officer coming up to his window in full battle rattle...

The Officer just wears a lighter plate carrier with level IV plates instead of the standard soft armor, and when he gets out, he simply grabs his MK18 or MP5 or some other SBR and slings it in a low ready and proceeds with the traffic stop...

If nothing happens, the individuals being stopped really wouldn't even be alarmed. If something does happen, the officer has the upper hand, or is at least on par with the assailant. This is how it should be for every stop... doesn't matter if I was just running late and speeding and had no intention of causing harm... I'll get over the officer maintaining his personal safety

Agency cost is a valid reason, until confronted with the plethora of officers that are more than willing to purchase said gear on their own behalf....

If its because its sets a bad image in the public eye... well so does a dead officer or innocent bystanders.

Mauser KAR98K
12-10-11, 22:42
someone please explain to me, why police officers are not allowed to wear plates in their daily duties.... or to use a carbine in the same capacity as their service pistol... I think it might swing otherwise treacherous outcomes in the favor of the officers, if the perp see's the officer coming up to his window in full battle rattle...

The Officer just wears a lighter plate carrier with level IV plates instead of the standard soft armor, and when he gets out, he simply grabs his MK18 or MP5 or some other SBR and slings it in a low ready and proceeds with the traffic stop...

If nothing happens, the individuals being stopped really wouldn't even be alarmed. If something does happen, the officer has the upper hand, or is at least on par with the assailant. This is how it should be for every stop... doesn't matter if I was just running late and speeding and had no intention of causing harm... I'll get over the officer maintaining his personal safety

Agency cost is a valid reason, until confronted with the plethora of officers that are more than willing to purchase said gear on their own behalf....

If its because its sets a bad image in the public eye... well so does a dead officer or innocent bystanders.

Umm...yeah. Lets have departments get right on that, along with soiled underwear insurance for granny when she gets pulled over.

Reagans Rascals
12-10-11, 22:54
Umm...yeah. Lets have departments get right on that, along with soiled underwear insurance for granny when she gets pulled over.

so a Glock, taser, and mace on the hip is fine... but an SBR or external armor is taking it too far?

Never thought we would be worried about public perception over officer safety

Abraxas
12-11-11, 07:44
But but how can this happen, schools are gun free zones

My thoughts exactly

AZ-Renegade
12-19-11, 12:29
I'm getting sick of hearing,"A ROUTINE traffic stop gone bad."

A traffic stop is never routine.

Who said anything about "routine?"

JSantoro
12-19-11, 12:56
I know that the reporters on my local news-radio station kept calling it "a routine traffic stop," so it's not a stretch to figure a metric assload of other empty suits were doing the same on TV and other mediums. He's talking about them....

Armati
12-19-11, 13:30
Does anyone have any further details on what happened?

In the first VA Tech shooting the media gave a pretty detailed account of the shooter's history and how the shooting went down. In this shooting the details have been very sparse.

Reagans Rascals
12-19-11, 14:14
What would the law have to say regarding a student who happened to be "illegally" carrying on a school campus, and an active shooter situation arose and they used their weapon to subdue the suspect, in self defense and in keeping the safety of their counterparts?

I understand it would be a media shitstorm to try and prosecute them, but what could actually happen to them under the law?

Would they actually be charged with illegal possession of a firearm? Which could also open to the door to the wrongful death of the person they killed (the active shooter) because they were illegally carrying to begin with?

Similar to if you were drunk driving, but someone hit you and they died, you could be charged with their death simply because you shouldn't have been driving, regardless that they hit you.

I was given a ticket in PA once for causing an accident, when a women HIT ME on the highway by merging into my lane without looking. She hit me, she caused the accident, however, because my vehicle inspection was expired I was found at fault, because I "legally shouldn't have been on the road."

Iraqgunz
12-19-11, 15:31
Who said they aren't allowed? I am sure they are allowed, but to expect a department to pay for them (in the current budget situation) ain't gonna happen. So if an officer wants them he will need to buy them.

Also, plates are not by any means comfortable or practical for the average officer. So the option would be to have a dedicated plate carrier that is immediately accessible that can be thrown on.

Iraqgunz
12-19-11, 15:33
This is a ridiculous question because there is no way of telling what a prosecutor would do.

What would the law have to say regarding a student who happened to be "illegally" carrying on a school campus, and an active shooter situation arose and they used their weapon to subdue the suspect, in self defense and in keeping the safety of their counterparts?

I understand it would be a media shitstorm to try and prosecute them, but what could actually happen to them under the law?

Would they actually be charged with illegal possession of a firearm? Which could also open to the door to the wrongful death of the person they killed (the active shooter) because they were illegally carrying to begin with?

Similar to if you were drunk driving, but someone hit you and they died, you could be charged with their death simply because you shouldn't have been driving, regardless that they hit you.

I was given a ticket in PA once for causing an accident, when a women HIT ME on the highway by merging into my lane without looking. She hit me, she caused the accident, however, because my vehicle inspection was expired I was found at fault, because I "legally shouldn't have been on the road."

Mauser KAR98K
12-19-11, 21:44

A few times I get caught up in a discussion with my liberal proffessors at my college about this issue. They say it is stupid to have guns in school; oil and water comparison.

I generally ask them what a parent's reaction and legal quest they might take if their son or daughter is massacred in a school, and one of the victims laying beside them had a permit and this*?...I produce my old police I.D., and permit together. My professors either look me with a dumb look, tell me they have papers to grade, or switch the subject in a rude way. So disconnect from reality. I think a few are jumping up and down when they found out I'm graduating a half semester early; cause unlike many of the five yearers around me, I work my ass off (and am greyer and have hypertension to show for it).

Any news/updates on this incident? Since it wasn't a full on massacre with a gun, the MSM has dropped it.

Never mind, found one.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/1212/Virginia-Tech-shooting-Who-was-gunman-Ross-Truett-Ashley