PDA

View Full Version : UVa new Weapon Regulation ~ OPEN & CONCEALED LEGAL ~ My read on it...

Rmplstlskn
12-08-11, 16:58
I was reading the new UVa regulation tonight and something jumped out at me with Cuccinelli's opinion still fresh in mind...

My read on the regulation is that it only prohibits firearms "IN" buildings as listed in the regulation, but OPEN or CONCEALED (with permit) is allowed in OPEN, COMMON areas, such as sidewalks, courtyards, the grounds, etc...

I quote the regulation:
"on university property in academic, administrative, athletic, entertainment, or student residence buildings, child care or dining facilities, or the University Medical Center, or while attending sporting, entertainment, or educational activities is prohibited"

The key words here are "on university property IN" You must do BOTH to be under the regulation, be ON university property AND be IN the buildings listed, or attending listed events.

Someone walking with their date/wife/etc through the grounds, NOT IN any buildings or attending listed events, just for a casual stroll, would be LEGALLY able to conceal (if permitted) or open carry. But I personally don't want to be the test legal case for arrest while OPEN carrying. But I will CONCEAL carry until shown otherwsie how it is illegal...

This differs with COMMENTS on this new regulation, so I wonder if I am missing something, or did I just find the LOOPHOLE?

Link to the FULL regulation (http://admin.nbc29.com/assets/UVAWeaponsRegulation.pdf)

Rmpl

Eurodriver
12-09-11, 07:30
Florida law is very similar.

But how do I carry my gun in the common areas without breaking the law when I go to class? :confused: