PDA

View Full Version : Noveske, LMT, Colt

5.56 JC
12-03-07, 20:04
I have decided from the replys to the previous post that a second rifle is the way to go. If the cost is about equal which one would you get and why. This would be my go to/home defense rifle with the RR as a back-up.

COLT 6920
LMT M4
Noveske N4

I am not attatched to the Colt name in the sense that some people say it better just because its a Colt. I just want a top of the line AR. I figure the LMT would be about $1500 and the Colt and Noveske about $1800 set up similar to the LMT. If the Colt or Noveske are worth the extra money I am willing to spend it. You guys seem to know these brands very well so I am looking for you opinions.

Thanks

Jason

Sid Post
12-03-07, 20:23
For me, the Noveske N4 is hard to beat. The only other rifle in the running right now is an LMT MRP. If Noveske would make the N4 in a mid-length or rifle length model, I'd be all over it but with the carbine gas system I'm on the sidelines.

Michael
12-03-07, 21:05
Noveske does do mid-length gas systems. My Infidel upper is mid length.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=u161vis556&cat=57&page=1&search=&since=&status=

and here:

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=r161556&cat=51&page=1&search=&since=&status=

As of right now, the N4 Light Carbine does not have mid-length, but the rest do.

-m

Stickman
12-04-07, 03:18
Novekse N4, no question about it.

Failure2Stop
12-04-07, 05:36
Noveske N4.

Your prices are off a bit though.

Colt 6920- $1400- G&R Tactical (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dgun%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html)
LMT Defender- $1250- G&R Tactical (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=HGSTD16&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dgun%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html)
Noveske N4- $1395 - Noveske Rifleworks (http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=n4lcb&cat=47&page=1&search=&since=&status=)(basic version, which is setup like a stock 6920/LMT)
$1875 for the low-pro version with FF rails and BUIS from Rainier Arms (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=842)

rob_s
12-04-07, 06:30
Without hands-on with it, I'd still recommend the N4, with the one caveat that it only comes in a 14.5" barrel. This means that you either have to SBR it or you have to have the muzzle device permanently attached. I am not a fan of either solution personally, but YMMV. With that said, if Noveske starts making a 16" midlength and a 11.5" SBR, I may frankly ditch everything else.

Stickman
12-04-07, 12:09
Without hands-on with it, I'd still recommend the N4, with the one caveat that it only comes in a 14.5" barrel. This means that you either have to SBR it or you have to have the muzzle device permanently attached. I am not a fan of either solution personally, but YMMV. With that said, if Noveske starts making a 16" midlength and a 11.5" SBR, I may frankly ditch everything else.

See? The Omega solves the worlds problems!

On a slightly more serious note, I think the Omega will become a copied rail, if not in its actual design, then it its form. Drop in FF rails that require no mods will be common place in the next few years (just my guess).

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Daniel%20Defense%2C%20Inc./IMG_6742%201028%20Stick.jpg

rob_s
12-04-07, 12:14
I was thinking more in terms of if one bought the railed version of the N4, but you do have a point.

I'd still like to see the 16" and 11.5", but it sounds like those are way far off if they ever do surface at all. :(

rob_s
12-04-07, 12:15
One other note...

I'd like to see Noveske offer the MIAD and CTR as options instead of the Tango Down and Vltor. The retail prices are all pretty much the same. I think giving people options would be good, and I'd LOVE to be able to buy a rifle all complete for once. :p

ErnieB
12-04-07, 12:31
I have been giving the Noveske N4 Light a good hard look. I would like to have a 14.5" barrel with the 10" handguard as that would be my ideal setup. I wonder if they would send me one with no handguard because I already have a handguard I would like to use.

Also regarding the thickness of the chrome lining, would it degrade accuracy? It has to be slightly more difficult to get thicker lining even throughout the length of the barrel.

Opinions?

STS
12-04-07, 12:51
I have had a N4 for a couple months now, and I must say, it is simply the finest AR-15 that I have ever owned. The fit and finish of the gun is impeccable. There are no flaws whatsoever, and the upper and lower mate together as if they were machined from a solid piece. When ErnieB first saw my N4 he couldn't get over how well built it was, and very few people shoot and train with a AR as much as he does. I have nothing to say about the reliability and accuracy. It goes bang every time and is far more accurate than I'll ever be with a Ar-15 carbine. It came down to either a 6920 or the N4, and for the price, I feel there is no comparison. You get a far better spec'd gun.

markm
12-04-07, 13:06
The fit and finish of the gun is impeccable.

Critical in a fighting Carbean!:eek:

Seriously though, when looking at the actual specs on the N4, it does look like a really good option.

5.56 JC
12-04-07, 14:10
Wow. there seems to be no discussion. I was looking at the low pro version, but Stickmans pick with the omega rail looks pretty good too. I agree with RobS that I would prefer the MIAD grip and CTR stock from Magpul but am willing to give the Tango down grip and Vltor stock a try. Keep the replys coming.

8200rpm
12-05-07, 00:17
I was looking at the low pro version, but Stickmans pick with the omega rail looks pretty good too.

The N4 Basic seems like the perfect "ride hard, put away wet" type upper.

A few minutes after I ordered the Basic from Rainier Arms, I decided that I wanted the option of magnified optics. So, I changed my order for a Low Profile.

The Low Profile wears a TA33R in my possession. But, I still wouldn't mind having a Basic with an Aimpoint. If you choose one, you'll still want the other. Buy both!

Stickman
12-05-07, 02:14
The low profile is a great handling setup. Like you said, having both would round things out pretty nicely for carbines!

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Noveske/IMG_3573%20Stick.jpg

GaryXD
12-05-07, 07:29
For me, the Noveske N4 is hard to beat. The only other rifle in the running right now is an LMT MRP. If Noveske would make the N4 in a mid-length or rifle length model, I'd be all over it but with the carbine gas system I'm on the sidelines.

I feel the same way. I want a mid-length 14.5" N4.

5.56 JC
12-05-07, 12:06
How hard would it be to install the Black extractor spring insert?

Stickman
12-05-07, 12:49
How hard would it be to install the Black extractor spring insert?

If you can take apart the bolt for routine cleaning, you can swap the insert. However, if you are talking about on the Noveske weapon, I'll tell you right now not to waste your time.

M193 BALL
12-06-07, 12:43
My GO TO is a Factory LMT 14.5 M4
came with a SOPMOD wich I like alot
It very accurate with Black Hills 77/75gr OTM ammo (ragged hole group)

I like the LMT because it can be had with a 14.5 barrel just add Phantom etc!

I would be happy Also witha Noveske N4 also
they make some VERY accurate barrels as well

crowdlg
12-06-07, 14:04
I want to get a noveske n4 basic.The only thing i want is for it to be built on a vltor mur-1. I havent called john but i dont know if he would do that.Noveske uses vltor vis for the other builds but it seems to be a regular receiver for the non vis.On the above pic it has the cerro forge mark.

Stickman
12-06-07, 18:14
I want to get a noveske n4 basic.The only thing i want is for it to be built on a vltor mur-1. I havent called john but i dont know if he would do that.Noveske uses vltor vis for the other builds but it seems to be a regular receiver for the non vis.On the above pic it has the cerro forge mark.

I would give John a call and ask.

8200rpm
12-06-07, 20:35
Stickman,

Could you please just quit it with the pictures?!

You're making John Hwang and John Noveske a little richer, and me a lot poorer.:mad:

:D

ZGXtreme
12-06-07, 21:12
I'd like to see Noveske offer the MIAD and CTR as options instead of the Tango Down and Vltor. The retail prices are all pretty much the same. I think giving people options would be good, and I'd LOVE to be able to buy a rifle all complete for once. :p

I agree completely. At some point by next summer I'd like to eliminate my debt and purchase a high end class one rifle to go along with my 6933. It is outstanding that John offers high quality parts spec'd with his rifles. But for those who would prefer the MagPul products that just means you pay a little more in the beginning then have to sell the TD Grip and Vltor.

If I could have the N4 Light Basic with a CTR and MIAD I'd probably have to jump the gun and snag one up in lieu of a 6920 or 6721. Add to the package say two black PMAGS and he would have the premier, out the door rifle package on the market. Basically, Stick's rifles would become a factory item!!! LoL

STS
12-07-07, 13:05
Critical in a fighting Carbean!:eek:

Seriously though, when looking at the actual specs on the N4, it does look like a really good option.

Your sarcasm was not necessary. Fit and finish is important as it can be a indicator of a well built firearm, one that will hold up to high round count training cycles and workups.

Shihan
12-07-07, 13:18
. Fit and finish is important as it can be a indicator of a well built firearm, one that will hold up to high round count training cycles and workups.

Thats funny stuff right there!

5.56 JC
12-26-07, 16:33
I just read on the internet that they use hexogonal or polygonal barrels instead of the lands and groves on their rifles. Is this true? Would this include the new N4 lite. Any disadvantage to this on a rifle?

RyanS
12-26-07, 17:29
Love my N4 Basic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/dissident74/IMG_3398.jpg

Now wears a CTR and and MIAD which I like a whole heck a lot more than the Vltor/TD furniture. Also thinking of switching out the Troy BUIS for a LT and the Vortex for a PWS FCS or Vltor comp but want some more feed back as to how the FCS handles flash suppression and the VLTOR handles either before I go ahead and perm attach one. Other than that, I have have nothing but praise for the rifle.

Don G.
12-26-07, 17:32
Content deleted.

MX5
12-26-07, 17:58
N4 Noveske - no hesitation

ErikL
12-26-07, 18:27
Does the M-9 bayonet fit over the Smith Vortex?

Yes it does.

G&R has great deals on LMT rifles now until the end of the month. They are worth checking out if you're still looking. Otherwise you can't go wrong with the 3 that you listed. I have rifles, and or major components from those 3 manufacturers and haven't had a bit of trouble with any of them.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with G&R tactical other than I buy a small amount of gear from them. His prices are very competitive, and he humors me by answering my non gear queer questions. .02

Jaeger
12-26-07, 19:20
My N4 is due to be delivered on the 2nd. I can't wait!!

QuickStrike
12-27-07, 05:46
When my Noveske N4 upper comes tomorrow (*crosses fingers*) I'm going to put it on top of my Colt lower and switch back and forth between 6920 and N4/colt. :D

Maybe I should just buy a Noveske lower...

rob_s
12-27-07, 07:12
Apparently Noveske DOES offer the Vltor Emod (http://vltor.com/emod.htm) as an option, and after looking at the N4 I saw with this upgrade I think it's very worthwhile and would call it an the CTR even.

Now about that grip..... :D

Here's a pic of the Emod N4 next to the KAC SR15 (of course, you can't really see the stock). I think I have better pics of the stock but I'll have to dredge them up.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/DSC_1885cropped.jpg

Jaeger
12-27-07, 08:07
I ordered mine with an Emod upgrade. I think it was $25.

Jaeger
12-28-07, 23:21
Well, my N4 arrived early! :D
Damn is it nice. That Emod upgrade was worth every penny. Now I need for my Larue and Brownells orders to catch up and I think I'll be in business.

Don G.
12-29-07, 05:01
Content deleted.

maze
12-29-07, 06:15
I would definitely go with the Noveske, that is my next purchase. At a recent gun show I saw the N4 light going for 1299.00 :)

Jaeger
12-29-07, 09:47
I'm heading to the range with it. I'll try to snap a few there.

Jaeger
12-29-07, 16:28
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l97/Landjaeger/Noveske%20N4/PC290038.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l97/Landjaeger/Noveske%20N4/PC290045.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l97/Landjaeger/Noveske%20N4/PC290041.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l97/Landjaeger/Noveske%20N4/PC290043.jpg

Jaeger
12-29-07, 16:31
That emod stock is fantastic! Heads and shoulders above the standard stock on my Bushmaster. This rifle is worth the $. Every penny.

Don G.
12-29-07, 16:37
Content deleted.

RHR
12-29-07, 18:09
One other note...

I emailed Noveske and he said the CTR and MIAD are available.

ZGXtreme
12-29-07, 18:23

I think with that info from John, he just sealed the deal with me! Now to just get rid of the credit cards so I can afford it lol! Just needs to come with a PMAG (or a few) and it would be the premier rifle purchase available.

rob_s
12-29-07, 18:51
That IS good news.

I have to say, the example of the N4 that I examined was very, very nice. Somehow it just seemed "right" in terms of balance, overall weight, etc. I need to get back to where my camera is and post up some of the pics I got.

The news above, combined with what I saw firsthand, has me really, really tempted. I'd even amend my previous post to say the MIAD and the Emod in lieu of the CTR.

Jaeger
12-29-07, 22:31
Very nice! What kind of groups did you shoot

I did my zeroing at 50 yards, mostly with UMC 55gr ammo. I did shoot some 100 yard groups using Remington 55gr. Power Points as well as some old Spanish surplus ammo.
The Power Points were doing about 1.5" at 100 if I did my part. The Spanish ammo opened that up to about 2 1/4".

I did the bulk of my shooting within 25 yards and it was nothing to keep all my shots "minute of head".

The rifle balances very well and just feels "right". I know a big part of it is the stock. I've shot the standard Modstock and it feels like a standard collapsible stock with a better cheek weld. The Emod retains the cheek weld but feels much better in the shoulder. The negative pitch of the stock puts more of the stock in contact with the shoulder and makes it feel much more solid.

I'll shoot for some groups with some better ammo another day.

I put about 400 rounds through it today with not so much as a hiccup.

txswat
12-30-07, 01:43
I absolutely love mine. I shot a 1 moa 5 shot group at 100 yds with Remington ball 55 gr. I really like it. Now I need one in 16in. Hopefully that will be next.

QuickStrike
12-30-07, 05:24
My basic 14.5" upper with vortex came a few days ago...

SWEEET! And they gave me a free cap. :D

How does one pronounce Noveske again? :o

Jaeger
12-30-07, 09:56
I'd bet there will be a 16" version by the end of the year.

Noveske is pronounced "kick ass".

Shihan
12-30-07, 20:44
That IS good news.

I have to say, the example of the N4 that I examined was very, very nice. Somehow it just seemed "right" in terms of balance, overall weight, etc. I need to get back to where my camera is and post up some of the pics I got.

The news above, combined with what I saw firsthand, has me really, really tempted. I'd even amend my previous post to say the MIAD and the Emod in lieu of the CTR.

Rob I have become an EMOD convert and switched out my CTR's for the EMOD MIAD combo.

Jaeger
01-01-08, 03:01
I had the opportunity to run over to my range last night before the night got busy. I put a few magazines through the N4 and one of our Colts that I had jsut done a bunch of parts replacements on.
I am amazed at the difference in flash signature between the standard birdcage (Colt) and the AAC flashider. The AAC has virtually no flash signature with Remington 55gr fmj. The birdcage doesn't have a lot but it's a lot more than the AAC.

Another interesting thing was that the N4 makes neat little piles of brass. The Colt (and my Bushmaster) tend to throw them around a bit and scatter brass in a wider arc.

5.56 JC
02-04-08, 22:24
Any updates from the guys that have the N4's. Its about time for me to order and wondered if anything changed.

MikeCLeonard
02-05-08, 12:19
I say go for it. I personally don't see a reason to pick a Colt or LMT over the Noveske, unless you just want the Colt name. I think the Noveske N4 barrel is the best 14.5" hard use barrel on the market.