PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any thoughts about TYR Tacticals PICO Assaulters Plate Carrier?

blackcpull
12-08-11, 21:07
Anyone have any thoughts about TYR Tacticals PICO Assaulters Plate Carrier? I was thinking of getting one. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

CPtheWightKnight
12-08-11, 21:19
Looks alot like the SKDTAC PIG plate carrier. The PIG is a little cheaper. Haven't heard of/seen the PICO till now. Without looking to much into the PICO it looks like they both offer alot of the same features. The PIG has padded shoulder straps and a more pronounced ventilation stystem on the back panel.

When i finally decide to purchase some armor i'm pretty positive i will buy a PIG due to the fact that i am so skinny and need the extra adjustment options.

Check it out.
http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-Plate-Carrier-p/pig.502.htm

blackcpull
12-08-11, 21:35
Thank you.

CPtheWightKnight
12-08-11, 22:28
No problem :)

CPtheWightKnight
12-08-11, 22:31
Just dug up a thread about the PIG. And a review.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=59380

http://www.itstactical.com/gearcom/body-armor/skds-pig-plate-carrier-a-versatile-solution-for-diverse-threats/

SWATcop556
12-08-11, 23:30
Given the pedigree of the guys who are now Tyr I would not have an issue running their kit. They were not available when I bought the PIG from SKD, which I could not be happier with.

JohnnyC
12-09-11, 02:06
Can't attest to the Pico itself, but the build quality on the stuff I've gotten from TYR has been excellent to say the least.

deadlyfire
12-09-11, 04:26
I have no experience with Tyr's gear but I also have heard praises sung about the men behind the nylon.

ICANHITHIMMAN
12-09-11, 06:12
If you know Battlelab you know Tyr same guy. Also Brownells just picked them up.

Treehopr
12-09-11, 07:28
Looks alot like the SKDTAC PIG plate carrier. The PIG is a little cheaper. Haven't heard of/seen the PICO till now. Without looking to much into the PICO it looks like they both offer alot of the same features. The PIG has padded shoulder straps and a more pronounced ventilation stystem on the back panel.

When i finally decide to purchase some armor i'm pretty positive i will buy a PIG due to the fact that i am so skinny and need the extra adjustment options.

Check it out.
http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-Plate-Carrier-p/pig.502.htm

So you've never heard of Tyr or the PICO plate carrier, don't own armor and have no experience with the PIG PC but that's what you're going to recommend in a thread asking about the PICO?

Treehopr
12-09-11, 07:54
Anyone have any thoughts about TYR Tacticals PICO Assaulters Plate Carrier? I was thinking of getting one. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I've had one for almost a year now; lightweight and very minimalist, comes with soft armor backers as well as kangaroo mag pouch amd cummerbund mag pouches. I got the 7.62 kangaroo mag pouch as an additional option.

I was able to wear mine and run 1/2 mile laps on a track with pull ups and kettlebell swings between laps and had no problems with the PICO.

I chose that after considering all the other PC's on the market and got the PICO after speaking with the folks at Tyr. I previously used an Eagle PC and DBT Gen 1 FAPC.

Excellent customer service and I appreciated being able to actually speak with someone on the phone. I originally planned on getting the LWPC but speaking with one of the Tyr Tactical guys I found the PICO better suited my needs.

The only thing I might change is the addition of a drag handle. The cummerbund mag pouches have the mags sitting too high for me to use effectively so I use them for storing a strobe and VS17 marker panel.

I looked at other PC's out there such as the Crye JPC, PIG PC, BFG LMAC and still think the Tyr Tactical PICO is a better deal for quality, features, availability and customer service & support. My second choice wouldve been the Mayflower APC for similar reasons.

They also have a .mil discount for those that qualify, don't know if the same applies to LEO's.

CPtheWightKnight
12-09-11, 09:41
So you've never heard of Tyr or the PICO plate carrier, don't own armor and have no experience with the PIG PC but that's what you're going to recommend in a thread asking about the PICO?

I'm no here to argue. I did state that i had never seen it before, so he can take my opinion with a grain of salt. I'm just informing him that there is a similar PC out there that he might have interest in, nothing more. Sorry if i caused any issues.

CommackBoy
12-09-11, 13:38
Travis Haley is running their gear now. I've ordered their war belt and pouches. Quality and customer service is outstanding.

deuce9166
12-09-11, 15:25
I don't have a carrier but I have a few of their pouches and they are very well made.

vader
12-09-11, 17:25
i just received their BPC and am very pleased with it. ill second that their customer service is above and beyond.

norbis
12-09-11, 21:44
I'll attest to them based strictly on their history from Diamondback. Last time I was in Iraq my mostly Diamondback kit was destroyed and I replaced it with more Diamondback without hesitation (including their plate carrier). When I need more stuff I will go to Tyr first.

blackcpull
12-09-11, 22:00
Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the feedback.

Pax
12-09-11, 22:04
My thoughts are that you ought to listen to the only person here with empirical experience with the system. And that too many people without empirical experience with it think their opinion matters.

With that out of the way, here are some important questions you ought to ask yourself whenever you find yourself in the market for a carrier: Do I need an armor carrier capable of simultaneously carrying plates and soft backers? If I purchase a carrier with backers included, (such as the PICO), what type of armor is it, (what material, what level)? Is it actually a good deal to get a carrier with backers included? Do other carriers offer features I find important that are not included with this model, (quick release)? Am I buying this because its very new-guy-on-the-well-marketed-block and Travis Haley uses it, and would a more economical option (PIG) do the job just as well? Does money matter to me and would I be happier with the more cool-guy carrier?

Just some thoughts..