PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Daniel Defense M4 questions/issues.

Lewisite
12-08-11, 21:38
Daniel Defense M4 V5
Ammo used Federal 5.56 and American Eagle .223

Alright guys, question. So I bought a DDM4 on Black Friday, and I just got it in today. I just have a couple of questions and or possible issues. Bear in mind that this is my first AR that I have extended dealings with, so it is a new experience :P.

First, a round does not chamber unless I pull the charging handle back all the way and pretty much just let it snap back with full force. Only at that point will a round fully chamber, if I just pull it back a bit and let go, the round will not fully sit in the chamber. Is this intended? I am not babying it and being gentle by any means, I was just pulling it back and letting it go at what I thought was normal, but the only way it seems to fully get it in the chamber is to just pull it back and let it fly. The Colt 6940 I had dealings with in the past, I don't recall having to use as much force to chamber a round, I might be mistaken however, its been a while.

Was just wondering if that was the norm or if something else might be going on. Also, if it is the norm, does that not eventually cause excessive wear on the bolt,charging handle, or some other part of the rifle? Sorry if that is a silly question, I just want to know what to expect.

Second, after getting it home and stripping the rifle and looking it over, I noticed this

http://i42.tinypic.com/120rt7a.jpg

Is that dis-colorization normal? My camera phone is kinda crappy, so not completely sure if you see what I am talking about. In person it looks a bit more wrong, I cannot seem to find any other pictures online of what that might be, especially from a factory new rifle.

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

ucrt
12-08-11, 22:00

New DD's that I have handled and fired seem to have a thicker than normal anodizing and parkerizing that feels a little rough at first. This might be an additional drag making chambering seem a little sluggish until it gets a few rounds through it. Be sure to keep everything wet with a good oil.

DD is known for test firing their guns before shipping. It looks like brass marking on the bolt. They will probably rub off with a little oil on a patch or just wear through after a lot of rounds are fired.

How many rounds have you shot through it?
When firing does it chamber the following rounds OK?

But maybe it's just me...

Lewisite
12-08-11, 22:04
Yeah, I am not questioning their handiwork, I was guessing most of this was pretty normal. Just wanted to make sure it was not something abnormal that I needed to jump on quickly.

Follow up rounds seemed perfectly fine, it is just that first one. I fired about ten off rapidly in a row to see if there were any hang ups and there was none. I was just wondering about getting that initial one in the barrel, it goes in every time if I pull the charging handle back and just let it fly, otherwise it will not go all the way in.

Not that many yet, it got dark on me when I got home and was only able to do a couple of magazines, so to say the least it still has to be broken in!

SteadyUp
12-08-11, 22:12
The "discoloration" on your bolt is actually brass from Daniel Defense test-firing the rifle. Nothing to be concerned about.

The proper way to charge a round is to pull the charging handle all the way back and let it rip. You don't want to ride the handle back at all. You won't cause any excess wear and tear by doing this either.

Wiggity
12-08-11, 22:18
Sounds like you need to shoot it!

Iraqgunz
12-09-11, 02:02
I suggest that you either read the manual or spend some time here reading about the AR.

Then after you have inspected the weapon, I would do a light cleaning, lubricate it and shoot it. Yes, it wll wear and develop shiny spots at some point. They aren't designed to be pretty.

justin_247
12-09-11, 04:54
Also, if you're using aluminum GI magazines, only load them to 28 rds, especially if you're using steel-cased ammo. This reduces the tension from the round rubbing against the magazine lips.

Tigereye
12-09-11, 06:08
I've got 2 DD rifles, a carbine and a midlength. and this is perfectly normal for the rifle. As others have said, clean, lube, and shoot. The charging handle seems to smooth in after a while. I don't release the charging handle on an empty chamber. You've got a great rifle that is highly accurate and very reliable. Enjoy!
Eric

duece71
12-09-11, 06:49
I have a DDM4V3 and it is a wonderful rifle. I had problems on a range trip shooting crap Tula ammo, it ran just fine with Fed .223 brass so the ammo was the culprit. Keep shooting it, it is a fine rifle.

acaixguard
12-09-11, 09:16
I am a fairly new owner of a DD M4 too.

For the brass marks, just rub some cleaning solution and oil on it, and it should come off. No biggie either way. As for the BCG, just keep it well lubed, and it will feel a little smoother, especially after shooting it a bit.

I always chamber a round by pulling the charging handle all the way back, and then letting it go. Same thing with a pistol...I never pull the slide/bolt only halfway to chamber a round. These firearms are meant to function properly using the full spring tension.

ForTehNguyen
12-09-11, 09:49
First, a round does not chamber unless I pull the charging handle back all the way and pretty much just let it snap back with full force.

this is the way youre suppose to charge it. If you try to baby the charging handle it will not seat fully and youll have to use the forward assist to fully seat

GunnutAF
12-09-11, 11:32
Better yet have the bolt locked back and insert mag then use bolt release to charge the weapon! :rolleyes:

Lewisite
12-09-11, 12:36
I suggest that you either read the manual or spend some time here reading about the AR.

Then after you have inspected the weapon, I would do a light cleaning, lubricate it and shoot it. Yes, it wll wear and develop shiny spots at some point. They aren't designed to be pretty.

Thank you for the advice, I have been doing just that. Read through the manual and it gave some good insight, going to spend some time on the forums today browsing about.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand it is not meant to be pretty. I do not want to just leave it in the safe and eye-molest it. I just wanted to make sure that was normal since it was a factory new rifle. Somewhat comforting though knowing that it was that way because it was tested by DD.

I have been making great use of the bolt lock and just releasing it on the mag, has been functioning great. Any by that I mean it loads and fires properly. Right now I am a horrid shot with it :P.

Not that I cannot hit anything, I can keep it inside a silhouette and hit center mass, from 15-25 yards or so that I was shooting, but they were all over the place. Going to rummage around google a bit and try to find an instructor who can give me some one on one range time that I think I will benefit greatly from.

Thanks for the responses guys!

brianc142
12-09-11, 12:37
Better yet have the bolt locked back and insert mag then use bolt release to charge the weapon! :rolleyes:
Agree.

GeorgiaBoy
12-09-11, 14:03
Just lube and shoot. The BCG should smooth out in a few hundred rounds.

As for wear, both my DD BCG's have had shined up quite a bit. Nothing to worry about.

SomeOtherGuy
12-09-11, 14:16

New DD's that I have handled and fired seem to have a thicker than normal anodizing and parkerizing that feels a little rough at first. This might be an additional drag making chambering seem a little sluggish until it gets a few rounds through it. Be sure to keep everything wet with a good oil.

I've found this also. It can be dramatic with the DD carriers when they are brand new. But a little bit of use (just 100-200 rounds) and they are really, really smooth. As others have said, use enough oil on all the moving parts, and don't baby it.