PDA

View Full Version : What 45 ?

anthony1
12-09-11, 04:20
I'm in need of a new 45. I DONT want a 1911. Other than that my mind is open. Im not really considering the MP due to the 10 round mags wtf, unless l'm missing something?

My list so far is
1.HK usp
2.Glock or FN

Thats about all l can come up with and the only one l have shot is the Glock. I liked it but wasnt thrilled with it. What you buy.

deadlyfire
12-09-11, 04:25
Have you personally handled the FNP or HK series of pistols? How it feels/handles in your hands I believe is more important than any model I could suggest.

Sensei
12-09-11, 04:27
It seems that higher magazine capacity is important to you. Is this why you are not looking at the HK45?

Hogsgunwild
12-09-11, 05:29
I have a USP 45 (light LEM trigger).
I owned a Glock 20 for 12 years and have shot the G21 as well.

I have several high end 1911s.

The guns that I cannot speak highly enough of are my M&P 45 Midsize and M&P 45 Compact. The Midsize has the Apex Tactical Forward Set Sear and Trigger. The Compact model will have the FSS kit soon.

Extremely accurate and I have finally found a handgun that I am extremely consistent with as far as tight groups consistently in the CENTER of my target versus tight groups (if I'm shooting tightly in the first place) wherever the particular brand of gun and I happen to be pulling or pushing towards that day.

I thought my 1911s were the reliable ones for always knowing where my lead was going to land on target but my M&Ps have raised the bar.
I have had seven Glocks and three H&Ks and the M&Ps seem to finally be the ones that always do what I ask them to do.
The width of the gun and the mid-sized back-strap seem to make a huge difference in my ability to be more consistent with these pistols than with other makes and models.

Even with the stock trigger on my Compact model, I am impressed with the accuracy.

deadlyfire
12-09-11, 05:36
I'm happy to hear the M&P45 getting rave reviews. I can't speak highly enough of the 9mm version.

Abraxas
12-09-11, 05:38
HK 45 and M&P45 are my top two.

Nephrology
12-09-11, 06:01
I am a dyed in the wool Glock guy but if I was looking for a .45 I'd get the M&P45 or the M&P45c. They are slimmer than the Glock 30/21 which are freaking bricks. My 21 was fun but I never felt proficient with it like I do my 9mms. Traded it for a Glock17RTF + Cash

KhanRad
12-09-11, 06:31
All of the following are outstanding modern day .45s:
-HK 45
-M&P 45
-FN FNP
-Glock

My preference goes to the HK 45/45c or the M&P 45. They are much more ergonomic with the 10rd magazine capacity. The grip is nice and narrow like a classic 1911 allowing for easy pointability and accurate shooting.......particularly one handed or with gloves. The thicker grips of the .45s that use 12-14rd magazines suffer from the loss of ergonomics and when you shoot single handed or with gloves your ability to point and have natural accurate shots suffers. What you can do with a Glock or FN FNP, you can do slightly better particularly under stress or in less that ideal conditions with the HK 45 or M&P.

Are 12-14rd better than 10rds?.......if you don't sacrifice too much to get those extra rounds. Just remember the HK 45 in particular is probably one of the most researched and tested .45s out there and that 10rd magazine was considered to be the ideal compromise for the best .45acp platform. After all the Navy SEALs adopted the HK 45 compact which uses a 8rd magazine, and an extended 10rd magazine.

Most .45acps will not do what the HK 45 can do:
http://pistol-training.com/articles/hk45-interview-with-ken-hackathorn-and-larry-vickers
http://pistol-training.com/archives/3463

duece71
12-09-11, 06:56
Sig Sauer as of late has gone down hill in overall quality depending on what you read. Having said that, I have a mid 1990's Sig P220 that has been excellent. If you can find one (obviously a used one) that might be an option depending on what its been through and what amount of $$$ you are going to pay. Good non 1911 .45 though.

LDM
12-09-11, 07:38
If a weapon with 8 round capacity is acceptable to you, here's a dark horse: Kahr TP45.

A very smooth DAO. About the same size and form factor as Commander 1911. Very concealable for CCW (although hostler selection is limited).

I was a 1911 guy for a very long time; like back to the late '70's. I tried some of the modern 45's; owned a M&P, owned a SIG 220, and handled a H&K many, many times. But the girth of the grip was always problematic for me. And I wear a large sized glove. Using two hands it was OK, albeit still not as relatively secure as smaller girth grip (e.g. 1911). But with one hand, I never found a comfort zone with the high capacity 45's. The Kahr TP45 grip is more like a 1911 grip in girth and general size, and to me more controllable for a 45.

I bought one a couple of months ago and probably have 1000 rounds through it and it has been flawless. The smaller Kahrs can be finicky, but this full size model is like a different animal.

markm
12-09-11, 07:45
I've fired ALL of them....

The FNP45 is the hands down winner in shootability and capacity... and it's not even a very expensive gun.

It will be my next pistol purchase.

KevinC
12-09-11, 09:01
HK 45 and M&P45 are my top two.

x2 - with the HK45 winning the top spot.

Voodoo_Man
12-09-11, 09:04
fn 45 tactical

easily best "tactical" 45 on the market.

BBossman
12-09-11, 09:29
fn 45 tactical

easily best "tactical" 45 on the market.

Certainly a good value considering... 15+1 capacity, raised tritium sights, cut for an RMR or other "dot sight", threaded barrel for suppressor, double/single action/de-cock/cocked and locked...

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq169/bbossman1/IMAG0130.jpg

Voodoo_Man
12-09-11, 09:35
Certainly a good value considering... 15+1 capacity, raised tritium sights, cut for an RMR or other "dot sight", threaded barrel for suppressor, double/single action/de-cock/cocked and locked...

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq169/bbossman1/IMAG0130.jpg

Sweet piece!

Mine is the FDE, I enjoy it very much so but hardly shoot it (.45 is expensive) and from what I have read the 45 tactical has FN's competition trigger in it...? I could be wrong but the trigger is very nice.

LukeInAZ
12-09-11, 09:49
I also have the FNP-45 Tactical in FDE. Nice shooting, very accurate. I have attached the Trijicon RMR and love the combo. My only draw back so far is having to adjust my grip a bit to avoid hitting the de-cocking lever with recoil. It feels very well balanced when fully loaded, though when its empty it can feel a bit nose heavy. DA pull is a bit harder then the 92fs I came from but SA is short and crisp. Just have to save up for a can now. :(

Voodoo_Man
12-09-11, 09:50
I also have the FNP-45 Tactical in FDE. Nice shooting, very accurate. I have attached the Trijicon RMR and love the combo. My only draw back so far is having to adjust my grip a bit to avoid hitting the de-cocking lever with recoil. It feels very well balanced when fully loaded, though when its empty it can feel a bit nose heavy. DA pull is a bit harder then the 92fs I came from but SA is short and crisp. Just have to save up for a can now. :(

That front heavy feeling is something I like. It is VERY noticeable to me and I know when I am almost empty without thinking about it.

wesprt
12-09-11, 09:55
It's a pretty easy choice. Look at guns that have proven themselves, handle them and shoot them if you can.

Glock 21/21SF, HK45, USP45 and the M&P45 all will work. There's been more than a few people that like the FNP's but they don't have the aftermarket or the amount of testing the others have had.

Irish10
12-09-11, 09:59
My M&P 45 runs like a champ and I wouldn't give it up for anything. Well over 5k thru it without an issue of any type and accuracy is outstanding especially with the "hotter" ammo.

Hogsgunwild
12-09-11, 10:08
I forgot to mention that I have rented the HK 45 Compact about six times (the HK45 twice, plus I own a P2000) and feel that it is easily as shootable and inherently accurate as the M&P 45. The H&K's price didn't bother me so much as did the cost of the magazines. The main thing that won me over to the Smith was the crisp single-action trigger followed by the ergonomics including the location and ease of use of the thumb safety.

I would have been just as happy with the H&K but think that the Smith suits my needs a hair better and I own the two M&P's for a bit more than the cost of one HK45C.

BBossman
12-09-11, 10:10
It's a pretty easy choice. Look at guns that have proven themselves, handle them and shoot them if you can.

Glock 21/21SF, HK45, USP45 and the M&P45 all will work. There's been more than a few people that like the FNP's but they don't have the aftermarket or the amount of testing the others have had.

I bought the FNP Tactical as an interesting 'toy". Other than holsters, FNH pretty much took the "aftermarket" out of the equation with the Tactical's standard features.

I agree on the testing front, not enough of them out there in the hands of "hard users". I'm certainly not going to drive this thing to its limits with the limited amount of shooting I'll be doing with it. But once I get a suppressor it will be one of those "holy shit... wtf" toys at the range.

Noodle
12-09-11, 11:00
Another vote for the HK45. Managable grip size, points like a 1911, reasonable weight, long rail to accommodate all lights/lasers, standard thumb saftey/decocker, very managable recoil. Great gun!!

Gary1911A1
12-09-11, 11:31
A lot is going to depend on your hand size, what you envision doing with the pistol, and prior experience. For me the M&P45 is the best so far. Haven't shot the FN, but have held it in my hand and know the grip is to large for me, much as a 21SF is still to big. I like my HK45 that I had Bowie do a trigger job and a "Vicker's Package" on, but cost wise the M&P wins out. Like another poster suggested try to shoot each one before you buy. What's perfection for someone might be a dog to you. Good luck!

newyork
12-09-11, 11:39
Big vote for the HK45 but with light LEM as the safety positioning didn't work for me. Otherwise the gun has great ergos even for my tiny hands. Low recoil, accurate, reliable, great mag release.
Never tried the FN or Smith though.

DocGKR
12-09-11, 11:46
1. M&P45 w/Apex parts
2. HK45c
3. G21 4th gen
4. None of the above unless you have a large supply of free .45 ACP ammo, or have a regular requirement to shoot through intermediate barriers like laminated auto windshields, or live in a state with asinine bureaucratic regulations restricting magazines to 10 rds or less, or are restricted to non-expanding FMJ ammunition--otherwise a 9mm is likely a better choice for most shooters...

JonInWA
12-09-11, 12:07
I've been exceptionally pleased with my Gen 3 G21. Gen4 G21s are receiving faultless reviews as well to date.

Best, Jon

darr3239
12-09-11, 12:46
Normally when someone asks for advice on which pistol to purchase you get Glock is king on this site. However, when it comes to the large frame Glocks the opinions change.

I carried a Glock 21, but I didn't like the large grip for my average sized hands. I had a Robar 3/4 grip reduction on it, but it still didn't feel right to me. I should have had the front of the grip done also, and possibly that would have worked. I ended up switching to a Glock 35, since only Glocks were authorized for duty use.

P.S.- I haven't tried the 4th Gens, which may have solved some of the problem.

Cosmo M3
12-09-11, 12:47
HK45 hands down

Mark71
12-09-11, 12:54
I am very happy with my HK45 and HK45c. Both are extremely accurate, soft shooting, and dead reliable. Coming from the USP .45, the smaller and more comfortable grip was worth loosing the 2 rounds especially since I have smaller hands.

Nephrology
12-09-11, 13:46
I know DocGKR brought this up and you are certainly free to pick whatever caliber you please but if you don't already shoot a lot of .45, and don't have a practical reason to shoot .45, you could go with a 9mm pistol instead. The ammo is really much cheaper. I just placed a pretty big order for some 9mm FMJ myself and at an average of ~150% the price of 9mm, .45 would have been pretty painful to purchase that much of.

That said if you really want .45 and have thought it through by all means go with one of the guns listed here.

Voodoo_Man
12-09-11, 15:18
I carried a Gen3 G21sf (1913 rail) and now carry a Gen4 G21 at work. The gen3 was great, except the models with the ambi-release/1913 rail had mag drop issues which are impossible to fix (per glock not me). I sent mine back to glock and they sent me a brand new gen4 g21. The gun is an absolute powerhouse. Very easy to run.

markm
12-09-11, 15:18
I ran the M&P 45 for about a year... I had to work my ass off to get good with that gun and grew to like it.

But when I picked up the FNP 45 it was a natural shooter. I could smoke the steel targets with it right out of the gate. I normally wouldn't look at a DA/SA gun... (even though you can carry this one cocked and locked), but it was a breeze to get hits on the first DA pull.

Backstop
12-09-11, 15:50
USP 45, Variant 9.

Great gun. Never had a lemon, and never had any problems.

Years ago, mags and parts were kinda expensive. Not sure what they cost now.

Sure seemed like a big honking gun though.

I'm shooting Glocks these days, but a USP (and the USP Compact) are on my list of approved guns.

xcibes
12-09-11, 16:21
HK45
M&P 45
Glock 21 in that order.

With that said I own a Glock 21 which I would give up only if I could get the HK 45...alas, I am poor and cannot afford such a beast.

Doc Safari
12-09-11, 16:28
I got to shoot an HK USP 45 compact several years ago. Fantastic gun: 45 with the recoil of a 9, if I remember correctly. Not sure how they accomplish that but I made mention of it to my buddy, the owner. He interrupted me with "It's not for sale!" LOL!

Pricey gun, but I still wish I had one.

M&P 45? I've been reading a lot of problem threads on this forum about M&P's. I'm not sure I've read far enough to be satisfied that most or all of the problems are in the past.

I would certainly want to know that the M&P has some high-round count and/or endurance test data or anecdotes before I buy one though. (Maybe this is covered in a thread I haven't read yet).

Glocks and HK's are known quantities to a certain extent, the M&P not so much IMHO.

BaronFitz
12-09-11, 16:43
I've owned, shot, and sold quite a few .45s.

Still own (and probably never selling):

-- Glock 21/Gen 3: 13 round capacity, very accurate, never malfed. I actually like the big fat grip, since I have long fingers. Nice snag-free exterior. Only mods are Vickers Mag release and slide stop and night sights. Not terribly concealable.

-- Sig GSR 1911: pretty much like any other 1911 other than the slide width making it harder to find holsters. So far of the guns I've tried with, it's the only one I've shot a perfect Navy pistol qual with.

-- M&P 45: I shoot my M&P 9 Pro so well it's unfair, and the same applies to this gun. As OP mentioned, it's limited to 10 rounds unless you run 14 round extended mags, but you gain concealability and the multiple backstraps make life easy for pretty much any size hands. Mine has the thumb safety, but it operates like a 1911 safety, so you can ride it with your strong thumb to cheat recoil, or not.

Owned, shot, and sold:

-- Glock 30 Gen 3: Pretty much just like the G21, but with shorter barrel, grip, and 10 round capacity. Very accurate. Very hard to insert the mag if you top off to carry 10+1. Sold it because the recoil was too stout in that small frame. Regret doing so because I was a new shooter at the time and my grip hadn't evolved to where it is now. If I see another one at the right price, I'm getting it. Decently concealable.

-- XD45 Tactical: bought it after selling the G30. Recoil was much more manageable. Grip is less massive than the .45 Glocks. Enjoyed shooting it, but sold it because the trigger reset was much farther forward than the Glock/1911 reset, and I couldn't get used to it.

-- FNH FNP-45 Tactical: Sold this one with just shy of 300 rounds through it. A technically excellent pistol, but the safety was in the wrong place. Since the safety was also a decocker if you continued pressing down, I couldn't ride the safety with my thumb like a 1911 without it flexing (not enough to decock, but enough to eat my thumb), and I couldn't get my strong thumb out far enough for the back of the safety not to eat the webbing of my thumb. I couldn't shoot it comfortably without gloves, so I sold it.

In the case of the FNP-45, it seemed comfortable until I shot it. Just be aware of where safeties/decockers are on a gun. Haven't shot a HK45, but am aware of the issue with the little ridge on the bottom inside of the trigger guard eating some shooter's fingers and requiring some reduction.

Cerberus
12-09-11, 16:49
How about a Colt SAA model P in .45 Colt. Until the .357mag came along it was the most powerful handgun round in the world. :jester:

Yes I am being silly.

Peaceful John
12-09-11, 18:01
In my mind, the choice of a defensive handgun involves more than blindly selecting the most accurate, or the most powerful, or the highest mag capacity. For example, accuracy is important, but in a gunfight, how much accuracy is really required? It's going to be difficult explaining to Judge Judy why that guy three blocks away was an immediate threat to your composure. Almost certainly -- in real life -- you will be returing fire at a big, nearby, probably moving target. A gun that will put a magazine into a six inch circle at 10 yards (1.5 times the length of a common automobile, also the width of my wife's hoped-for closet) places all it's rounds less than 3 inches from point of aim.

Personally, I prefer things that start with "4", but since the Miami Shootout back in 1986 ammunition makers have massively improved the eficacy of handgun ammunition. I don't know if I'd wish anything smaller, but today responsible men carry 9mm and are not ashamed.

Great magazine capacity may be useful in an unlikely environment, like when the 7th Dismounted Hell's Angeles take exception to your existence, but in reality guns with 7+1 capacity have served with distinction for generations. Slip a second magazine in your pocket if you feel moved. If you expect 15 rounds of .45 acp to be insufficient, reprogram your Garmin.

So there are many guns that are (a) functionally accurate, or (b) appropriately powerful, or (c) of satisfactory magazine capacity. The problem is to find one that is all of those three things and mechanically simple enough that it could, with only a handful of drop-in parts, be repaired by a Democrat on his kitchen table. Not many guns qualify on this last beneficium, and therein is the challange. A mil-spec 1911 might meet standards. The Glock clearly does. I suspect the M&P might, although I'm not as certain of the latter. Given any pistol with the necessary minimum accuracy, power, and capacity, the final selection, the controling factor, would in my mind be the repairability issue.

You may disagree with part or all of the above. Every man must work out his own salvation.

John.

anthony1
12-10-11, 13:52
Thank for all the replies. Its a hard choice because if l go with the HK or FN l will have to do so without being able to see/hold/shoot it first. As much as l think l would like the HK l'd hate to get it and not like it then have to deal with trying to sell it.

I like the Glock well enough, l think l'm just going to go with that. Peacefull John- WTF? l didnt say anything about shooting someone from 3 blocks away and if you want pistols that have 7 round mags so be it, l dont. You basically typed four paragraphs of crap that doesnt even apply to this thread.

Nephrology
12-10-11, 14:20
You basically typed four paragraphs of crap that doesnt even apply to this thread.

Such is the internet...

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-10-11, 17:12
For me the HK 45 series is the zero risk option.

TAZ
12-10-11, 19:59
I've run through a bunch of hi cap 45's over the past few years and have come full back to the Glock 21SF and now the Gen4. New sights and some tweaking of the trigger and all 3 of my 21's have run flawless for thousands of rounds. The gen 4 is new so I can't claim thousands yet as I'm shy of 1k mark just yet. I've run the HK series (USP45, USP45C and HK45) with great success. Ergonomically they are great except for the location of the safety. My short fingers make it impossible for me to effectively run them in condition 1. The HK45 ran with the light LEM module and that worked well. The biggest problem for me and HK was the budget. Magazines and accessories always come at a premium price which I couldn't afford. If the budget isn't a huge issue for you or you're content with not stocking up on mags and such then they're are AWESOME guns and will serve you well. I have no experience with the FNP Tactical, but it does look like a good piece of kit. My local cop shop has a couple in stock and I may try them out just to see how they fit. Like the idea of a factory set up for the RMR.

Short story long, if you're on a budget or want lots of accessories then the Glock may the ticket. If you're not worried about budgets go for the HK.

Guns-up.50
12-10-11, 20:24
OP: I know you said you wanted a .45, is ther any special reason? Do what works best for you. There are a fair amount of great .45s most mentioned here. If ask me I would go for a Glock 20 (10mm) with a grip reduction.

BOOSTjunkie
12-25-11, 11:34
On a side note, one of my complaints with my hk45c is that the picatinny rail will not take anything from SFs current line up. Who knows when the x300c will come out now. That and also it doesnt come with true night sights. I will say however that the grip is extremely comfortable especially when you get the correct back strap to fit your hand. I currently run mine with an LEM trigger and its my go to CCW gun. Holster selection for it though is very limited especially if you want to run a light. Another thing that bothers me is the high grip to bore height but I shoot mostly glocks.

Ive also shot the FN and the M&P both in 45 incarnations. I think the M&P wins hands down in terms of ergos and has a grip similar to the glock (low grip to bore height). The FN is more like the HK just with a thicker grip, although it is very tacky and does exhibit good texture.

As others have noted however, SIG is also another option in 2nd GEN. The SIG P220 is easily one of my favorite 45s I own. Its very thin like a 1911 and once worn in, the trigger even in DA is very smooth. Its extremely accurate and has proven extremely reliable. Mine is however a German made 2nd GEN with internal extractor. You can also get to 10 rnds with an extended mag that extents about an 1inch below the grip.

Hope this helps.

Sure1
12-25-11, 12:04
I carry and shoot the G36 in IDPA! A very accurate pistol!

searcher 45
12-25-11, 13:15
I carry and shoot a Glock 36 and could not be happier.

About the size of a Glock 19 but dehorned for better holstering and reholstering.

loupav
12-25-11, 14:03
Another vote for the HK45. I've been using mine for a while now, with 2500+ rounds with out cleaning and it just feels good to shoot.

I've set mine up as V3, which is decock only.

DocGKR
12-25-11, 23:43
It has been our experience that the .45 ACP P220 is the worst classic design service pistol Sig makes (carefully worded to exempt the odious Sig P250). In addition, Sig has had a precipitous decline in quality over the past 5-6 years, as a result of cost cutting measures designed to increase profit at the expense of pistol quality, reliability, and durability. Below are some quotes from LE agency armorers re. the P220:

"My PD issues SIG pistols; P-220s in .45, the 226, 228,and 239 in 9mm. The dept split is about 35% .45ACP and 65% 9mm. I have been the
lead full-time firearms instructor/armorer for the past 12 years. As a LEO, I carried my Colt Govt or Commander from 78-90, switched to P-220 from 90-93, and carried a P-228 from then to present. With all that in mind, here are a few of my observations:

1. The P-220 is probably the most accurate service pistol right out of the box.

2. The P-220 is much more finicky about duty ammo than any of the SIG 9mm’s. Winchester RA45T work just fine.

3. I see 10 times more parts break in P-220s than any of the SIG 9mm’s. The 9mm’s are just much more reliable. That's the reason I have carried one as a trainer and as a SWAT officer.

4. P-220 magazines have experienced several changes. The early "small zipper seam" mags had poor top welds and were prone to splitting. We replaced all of those with the later "trapezoidal seam" mags and have not split and of those. Heavily used mags may develop small cracks from the rear feed rail cut, causing the mag lips to lose a certain amount of tension. We have not seen very many of these but they do occur and the mag should be replaced. (the SIG 8 rounders are trash, stay away) The newest stainless, made by Mec-Gar for SIG, seem to work alright but we have only been using them for about 3 years.

5. Early P-220s, without the hammer reset spring, were surplused out as a safety hazard, relating to the decocking lever vs thumb relax issue.

6. All of our SIGs are surplussed out after 10 years of in inventory. This is done primarily due to the constant changes made to SIG pistols by SIG and the failure of SIG to communicate these changes to their SIG certified armorers.

Overall, SIGs are pretty darn good service pistols for LE use, but the 9mm’s will prove to be much more reliable and durable than the P-220 .45. I would not use a P-220 .45 in any demanding military or LE role which required the pistol to be fired ALOT. If you are going to fire this P-220 pistol ALOT then you'll need spare roll pins, trigger bar springs, trigger bars, slide catch springs, locking pieces, trigger pivot pins, and hammer reset springs. Or, you could just carry a P-226 or P-228 in 9mm, know that your pistol will work, pay attention to shot placement, and have a wonderful life."

Another armorer states:

"I am a factory trained Sig armorer and worked at an agency where we issued the p226 and p220. I did most of the preventative maintenance on the guns, they came in once a year. At about 3-5K rounds we began to notice the P220s were having more parts break including trigger bars,and reset springs. A few craked locking pieces and the roll pins seemed to walk out regardless of how and who put them in the pistols. Magazines fed and functioned fine however each different style had problems the best were the later Mec-Gar units but they did sometimes crack at the rear edge. The P226 pistols just kept on going mine has over 53,000 though it with just changing the springs. A frequent P220 problem was the trigger return spring coming off during recoil forcing you to reset the trigger by hand each time you pulled it. This could be a fatal problem in a lethal force encounter and it happened enough that some shooters were pretty good at finishing the course of fire with a broken or missing spring on the trigger return. For concealed carry or as a police issue sidearm with a rigorous maintenance program The P220 is a very accurate handy platform. You pay the price for the alloy frame with more battering to the parts. We had to replace the frame on a SWAT 220 with Surfire attached due to cracks. SWAT later switched to the H&K USP45 and did not have any parts breakage but did get some problem magazines that were eventually sorted out to be the wrong lot number for our pistols.(the lot we received was slated for destruction but was shipped instead) I wonder if the good mags were thrashed... And yes Sig is bad about getting updates to armorers thats why they want you to go back to school every few years they do want to make money too.

Every agency I am aware of that issues both the .45 ACP P220 and 9mm P226 has reported substantially more reliability and durability deficits with the P220.

Gary1911A1
12-26-11, 08:07
Like DocGKR I have heard the same about the Sig. 220 in .45 from two well known weapon trainers. My brother loves his and carries his even though I have made him aware of the problems.

n517rv
12-26-11, 08:37
Anthony1, what will the primary purpose of the gun be? Also, what model of Glock 21 did you shoot before? Was it a "standard", pre-Gen4 model or the SF?

I recently bought a Gen 4 Glock 21 and I absolutely love it. I have small/medium size hands, so I run it with no backstrap (same/similar to the SF). Very accurate for me and fun to shoot. Can't say I'll be using it much for CCW, but its fun for me to take to the range and have for HD/SHTF.

duece71
12-26-11, 09:04
OP,
Can you get to a shooting range that rents firearms? If you can, I would do that first. That has helped me enormously in my firearms purchases. Good luck.

ST911
12-26-11, 13:02
I have limited experience with the HKs in 45ACP, mostly with the USP 45. I'll defer to others on HK.

I've shot or watched umpteen rounds through Glocks in 45ACP, primarily G21 and G30, in the hands of shooters of all types. The G21SF leads in popularity, and function is boringly reliable even with the more cavernous JHPs. I don't care for the G36, and there are many caveats in their selection. My go-to gun in 45ACP is the G21SF.

I like the form and feel of the Sig P220, but with better options available there's no reason to choose it.

jmlshooter
12-26-11, 21:19
The USP is an unbelievable gun. Never malfunctioned in over ten years. Impossible to conceal. Super duper accurate.

I would go Glock 21 and call it good.

anthony1
12-27-11, 04:15
I appreciate all the response but l already bought a glock 21sf about a week ago.

I wanted another 45 because my 1911 was having issues and l sold it, but l still had 3-4k mg's and a bunch of powder, brass and large pistol primers. The powder l suppose l could have used with 9mm but the bullets and large primers l couldn't come up with anything, other than getting a new pistol.

TurretGunner
12-27-11, 13:53
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_231/products_id/15617

If you run out of ammo you could always beat them over the head with it. In all seriousness they are often overlooked guns that work well. Build on the CZ type action with an internal slide like a sig P210.

If your feeling froggy step up to a 10MM.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_231/products_id/38880

13 rounds of 10MM in an all steel , bomb proof action. I would buy one if I was manley enough to handle the big 1 0.

DocH
12-27-11, 15:03
My favorite HK pistols have always been and still are the USP series. I love the USP compact 9mm. A classy pistola.
I carried 1911's off duty for at least two decades and was the first officer to report for duty with a C&L Colt Government Model.
The looks and comments I got from the old detectives were meant to be insulting but actually only verified their ignorance of the system and guns in general. My regular CCW about 8 years ago was a Glock 30 and for two consecutive years it was the only handgun I even shot or trained with.
I doubt I'll go back to 45ACP but if I ever did I believe it would be the M&P compact,mainly due to fit and overall size,since I've been carrying G19's for about 18 years,excluding the two years with the G30.
I believe the M&P compact is exactly the right size and weight for a full time CCW pistol and I have confidence in their reliability.
I'm not concerned about ammo performance. Standard pressure HST's work wonderfully from 4 inch barrels.

Colt-45
12-27-11, 17:55
I recommend the G21 SF or the HK 45.

markm
12-27-11, 19:10
I appreciate all the response but l already bought a glock 21sf about a week ago.

Sell it... We're NOT DONE fighting over what YOU should buy!!

p.s. GET THE FNP 45.

BOOSTjunkie
12-27-11, 20:59
Sell it... We're NOT DONE fighting over what YOU should buy!!

p.s. GET THE FNP 45.

lets not forget the obvious choice here... the hi-point chambered in .45

E-man930
12-28-11, 17:34
lets not forget the obvious choice here... the hi-point chambered in .45

LOL...
And then you can buy a HK45C to shoot the highpoint with and call it a day.

TurretGunner
12-28-11, 19:24
For the Price of a HK45, you can get 2 blue label glocks and a few mags or nightsites. Take a look at the price of HK mags, and its easy to understand why many don't shoot them.

I have been down the .45 in a modern polymer gun route and at this point either the FN45 or the M&P45 are the best value/performance out there right now if you don't want a 21SF.

deeHKman
12-29-11, 05:58
For me the HK 45 series is the zero risk option.

I agree, HK's cost some more but price's have dropped lately due to a couple model's made in the US (frame) with German part's. I have 2 HK45's the best .45's i ever had and that's been alot.

Mag.'s cost more but you only buy once and there very well made.

loupav
12-29-11, 10:43
I agree, HK's cost some more but price's have dropped lately due to a couple model's made in the US (frame) with German part's. I have 2 HK45's the best .45's i ever had and that's been alot.

Mag.'s cost more but you only buy once and there very well made.

Yup! I bought plenty of used HK45 mags from members here and they all have worked well in my HK.