PDA

View Full Version : I went Kojak....

WillBrink
12-10-11, 09:15
If you ask "who is Kojak?" you didn't grow up in the 70s... Maybe this guy is a better example for the modern crew:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/vic.jpg

Anyway, how many of you have gone that route? How long? It feels f-ing strange, but I think I'm gonna stick with it a while:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/DSC06328-2.jpg

J-Dub
12-10-11, 09:24
I've never gone full razor shaved, but i've been "forcefully persuaded" to shave it with no guard......it was soooo strange to reach up and not feel hair lol.

All i can say is its good look for you, and i hope you dont get ingrown hairs.

WillBrink
12-10-11, 09:39
I've never gone full razor shaved,

Figured if was gonna do it, I was gonna do it all the way. Always wanted to try it. May grow it out a tad, but I'll see how the smooth look works for a while.

So far, chicks dig it. :D

Dozer
12-10-11, 09:41
My oldest brother is a 2-time cancer survivor and is fighting it again. Everytime he goes thru his treatments I shave my head. I have now been pimpin' the Kojak for approximately two months. I even learned to how shave with a straight razor.

WillBrink
12-10-11, 10:01
My oldest brother is a 2-time cancer survivor and is fighting it again. Everytime he goes thru his treatments I shave my head. I have now been pimpin' the Kojak for approximately two months. I even learned to how shave with a straight razor.

First, best of luck to your brother. That sucks. BTDT, no fun at all.

My basic electric razor I use on my face worked fine for me to get the smooth look.

Dozer
12-10-11, 10:27
First, best of luck to your brother. That sucks. BTDT, no fun at all.

My basic electric razor I use on my face worked fine for me to get the smooth look.

Thanks Will. It's a tough fight but he is a very tough guy.

I have tried the electric razor but since I have hair like a TCN I was not really able to use it.

montanadave
12-10-11, 11:22
I got a buzz cut back in the summer of '10 and, while shaving in the shower one morning, said "WTF" and just took it all off. That was about a year and a half ago and I haven't looked back. After dicking around with a set of clippers for a month or so, I went back to shaving my head a couple of times a week.

I always had a high forehead/receding hairline and when the "male pattern baldness" patch in the back started inexorably marching forward I decided I'd just cut to the chase and get it over with.

I've retired my baseball caps and rock the chrome dome. Works for me.

RogerinTPA
12-10-11, 12:09
I did it 2 years ago. It felt strange for a couple of months, but now I wish I had done it sooner. For some strange reason, I've never been so hit on by so many lovely ladies until I shaved my head. The vote is in...the ladies love it! :D

WillBrink
12-10-11, 12:19
I did it 2 years ago. It felt strange for a couple of months, but now I wish I had done it sooner. For some strange reason, I've never been so hit on by so many lovely ladies until I shaved my head. The vote is in...the ladies love it! :D

You mean even more women are going to hit on me now!? :D

jaydoc1
12-10-11, 17:41
I just have a feeling I don't have a head shaped well enough for it.

Smuckatelli
12-10-11, 18:18
I had it for about 6 months while my son lost his hair during intense phase of chemo treatment. I shaved in the shower every other day, no issues.

He wont let me shave it now....not even for St Balderick events.

VooDoo6Actual
12-10-11, 19:17
Will,
I like the "Solar Powered" look on you.

I'm still donning all my full head of Golden Fleece look. When it goes & this crisis is taking it's toll, perhaps I will....

Doc Safari
12-10-11, 22:24
A couple of years ago I started getting my hair cut in a "number one" style. That means the hair cutter uses the "number one" blade attachment on the eletric razor and it gives you a close-cropped, but not bald, haircut.

I'd love to go chrome dome.

A couple of questions.

Do guys who go smooth head do it as a way of giving in to natural baldness? I ask because I'm nearly 50 and still have a full head of hair. I can see if someone is halfway to being bald anyway then taking the rest of the hair off ain't that big a deal.

Also, when you go full landing strip do you have to shave your head with razor and shave cream every day to keep the smooth head look, or can you get by with once a week or thereabouts?

The thing I want to avoid is the domed stubble look. One reason my screen name is "Doc" is because when I get the "number one" it gives me the Doc Savage doo.

I'd hate to change unless I can improve on that.

(Oh, and I ain't waxing my back or shaving my pubes even at gunpoint, so nobody even friggin' ask). :D

WillBrink
12-11-11, 08:52
Will,
I like the "Solar powered" look on you.

I'm still donning all my full head of Golden Fleece look. When it goes & this crisis is taking it's toll, perhaps I will....

If I had the thick head of hair you do, I doubt I would have bothered BTW. I decided the shaved look was better then the thinning look, at least for now. :cool:

WillBrink
12-11-11, 08:59
A couple of questions.

Do guys who go smooth head do it as a way of giving in to natural baldness?

For me, yes. Getting thin on top and decided WTF, try it. So far so good. I will say, when my hair was thicker, it's a look I always wanted to try, so perhaps I would have done it anyway. Not sure.

Also, when you go full landing strip do you have to shave your head with razor and shave cream every day to keep the smooth head look, or can you get by with once a week or thereabouts?

For me, the above was done with the same electric I used to do my face and gets a very close shave, or plenty close enough for me. If I had to go through the hassle of razors, cream, etc, I wouldn't have bothered personally.

The thing I want to avoid is the domed stubble look.

Actually, that looks better on some. The GF says it looks more "rugged" then the super smooth look, and she prefers it, so I'm experimenting with how smooth, etc.

montanadave
12-11-11, 09:42
My wife also says she prefers a bit of "five o'clock shadow" as opposed to the freshly shaven "shiny" dome. So we compromise a bit and I probably shave my head every 4-5 days. If I wait much longer than that, shaving with a razor gets a little tougher and takes more time.

Honu
12-11-11, 10:11
shaved my head about 20 years ago going from lots of hair to no hair and being from Maui can say I looked FUNNY super tan face and this glowing white dome :)
never shaved shaved it again just keep it about 1/4 these days but nice to have little hair

not sure I would go that close again except once in a while when my 1/4 blade guard slips off and I carve a big path of no hair :) then it all comes off or I leave a big divy in my hair !

warpigM-4
12-11-11, 10:27
"who loves you baby":D you need to get some Lollipops to finish the look, remember he always rocked the lollipops I loved that show

jmoore
12-11-11, 10:51
.....I sweat like a pig most of the time:) Even when I have my hair short, it runs down the side of my head - a bit unsightly:) So - I tend to stick with the the shortened hippie hair variant - keeps me from looking like I'm standing under a shower most of the time:)

john

PdxMotoxer
12-12-11, 04:37
Maybe it's the dark goate but add those shades, and color or your fresh shaved head and waiting for you to start singing "Diamonds and Rust".

:cool:

Honu
12-12-11, 04:58
curious if you had the cold feeling head for a few days thing ? even when I did mine in the tropics my head felt cold for a few days and sleeping on it the first few nights was really strange feeling

WillBrink
12-12-11, 08:37
curious if you had the cold feeling head for a few days thing ? even when I did mine in the tropics my head felt cold for a few days and sleeping on it the first few nights was really strange feeling

I still have it, and it's a weird sensation. I can only describe as feeling like you have we hair all the time. I hope it goes away. As I turn the heat way down at night, been sleeping with a cap on!

HES
12-12-11, 22:42
Right now I have a full, thick head of hair. But if I were to ever start to lose it then I'm going chrome dome. Ain't no way will I be doing the comb over.

Bolt_Overide
12-13-11, 03:38
I first did it in high school, 20 some odd years ago. A member of our football team did the chemo thing, so we all shaved it off in support, I was the only retard that decided he liked it, havent had hair since.