PDA

View Full Version : Hornady 5.56mm 55gr GMX

DRT
12-10-11, 10:14
I suspect that this new Hornady 5.56mm 55gr GMX would be a good barrier-blind choice.

http://www.hornady.com/store/5.56-NATO-55-GR-GMX-Superformance/

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/72020-1.html (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/72020-1.html)

I'm guessing that it would act similarly to the 50gr load from BH.

I've had very good luck with the new GMX in other calibers so I may give this load a look.

Anyone tried this new load?

Shabazz
12-11-11, 08:29
Thanks for pointing this out. I will give it a try.

DeltaKilo
12-11-11, 12:12
Looks interesting. I'll have to try some of it out.

Jake'sDad
12-11-11, 14:49
It's 5.56 and it's one of Hornady's "Superformance" loads.

"Superformance ammunition is 100 to 200 fps faster than any conventional ammunition on the market today, and achieves this performance in every gun, without increases in felt recoil, muzzle blast, temperature sensitivity, fouling or loss of accuracy".

I'd be curious to see what it actually chrono's at. If someone trys some and has access to a chronograph, let us know. I wonder what the pressure is as well.

DeltaKilo
12-11-11, 15:04
It's 5.56 and it's one of Hornady's "Superformance" loads.

"Superformance ammunition is 100 to 200 fps faster than any conventional ammunition on the market today, and achieves this performance in every gun, without increases in felt recoil, muzzle blast, temperature sensitivity, fouling or loss of accuracy".

I'd be curious to see what it actually chrono's at. If someone trys some and has access to a chronograph, let us know. I wonder what the pressure is as well.

Can you elaborate on this a bit?

Jake'sDad
12-12-11, 02:04
Can you elaborate on this a bit?

Just curious to see what the actual velocities are.

5pins
12-12-11, 09:28
According to the Hornady website the velocity is 3130fps out of a 20in barrel. M193 is listed as 3250fps. So if you compare to with 5.56 it’s a little slower, but a little faster than the Cor-Bon offering (going by manufactures claims). The price is a little better than some of the other stuff out there. It would be interesting to see some testing on this stuff.

Watrdawg
12-12-11, 15:17
Definitely would be interesting to see some testing on these. If it behaves like the TSX rounds this would be a definite money saver.

Fail-Safe
12-12-11, 17:06
It looks like a tipped TSX

Charging Handle
12-14-11, 17:13
Interesting. I hope the performance of this load does turn out to be similar to the Black Hills 50 gr 5.56 TSX loads. I also hope it doesn't suffer from the poor accuracy of the Super Performance 75 gr OTM noted in testing by Molon (I believe) over on ARF some time ago.

WS6
12-15-11, 01:29
I suspect that this new Hornady 5.56mm 55gr GMX would be a good barrier-blind choice.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/72020-1.html (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/72020-1.html)

I'm guessing that it would act similarly to the 50gr load from BH.

I've had very good luck with the new GMX in other calibers so I may give this load a look.

Anyone tried this new load?

Something to keep in mind with Hornady Superformance ammunition being used in a defensive firearm where reliability is a MUST above all else.

http://www.hornady.com/ammunition/superformance-in-gas-operated-firearms

vicious_cb
12-15-11, 13:58
Something to keep in mind with Hornady Superformance ammunition being used in a defensive firearm where reliability is a MUST above all else.

http://www.hornady.com/ammunition/superformance-in-gas-operated-firearms

Another reason why I no longer buy Hornady. Produce a new 5.56 load and make it non compatible with shorter gas systems, I wonder if they know how much of the AR-15 market consists of carbines vs rifles. :rolleyes:

Not to mention z-max and not producing 5.56 TAP T2 for the unwashed masses.

Watrdawg
12-15-11, 14:22
The link definitely was an eye opener. I was hopeing the GMX round might be a less expensive option but now I am having different thoughts.

5pins
12-15-11, 15:41
I guess it would depend on the variety of guns it was tested on. If that variety of guns included rifles that were gassed for .223 pressures then it would not be surprising to have functioning problems. I would like to see the superformance port pressure compared to 5.56.

bp7178
12-15-11, 20:21
Any all copper bullet is going to be very expensive.

DRT
12-30-11, 08:11
Interestingly, I just got my 2012 Hornady LE & Military catalog and they've included the 55gr GMX loading in their catalog. Here are the specifics:

Product # = 81255 (5.56mm pressure)
55gr GMX (no polymer tip that's typical with other GMX bullets. It resembles a non-boattail TSX but with a larger internal HP cavity)
B.C. = .245
S.D. = .157
Advertised Velocity out of a 16" test barrel):
Mz = 3130, 100yd = 2739, 200yd = 2380, 300yd = 2049

Gel Test:

16" 1:9 weapon
Measured Velocity = 3193
21" Penetration (pretty amazing for a fully-expanded 55gr .22 cal bullet)
Max Cav = 4" (not nearly as dramatic as the 75gr TAP)
Depth to Max Cav = 5"
Entry = 1"
Retained weight = 55gr

The bullet looked like a perfect mushroom. I suspect that the guilding metal construction will retain its petals through intermediate barriers better than a pure copper design . The profile of the mushroom looks more similar to a conventional bullet versus the TSX that has substantial gap between the petals. I bet this would make a good hunting round as well.

By the way, the gel shot with the 75gr 5.56mm TAp 8126N still looked the most impressive of any .223/5.56mm round. It obviously remains a top pick for unobstructed shots.

urbankaos04
01-01-12, 15:12
Interesting. I hope the performance of this load does turn out to be similar to the Black Hills 50 gr 5.56 TSX loads. I also hope it doesn't suffer from the poor accuracy of the Super Performance 75 gr OTM noted in testing by Molon (I believe) over on ARF some time ago.

Yes, MOLON did do the testing and found via his testing, which is very thorough, that the Super Performance was not as accurate as other loads. Plus, it appears that this stuff is meant to be used with RIFLE length gas systems. The information is readily available over at TOS. I shot this stuff myself (10 shot groups at 100 yds) which produced a 3.203" and 2.314" groups when using my upper with a 16" nitrided Rock Creek 1x8 5R barrel.

kenndapp
01-21-12, 05:41
if i am not mistaken, i think the 55gr gmx is loaded into the 223 tap fpd line as well. has there been any testing on this load yet? i have conducted various google searches with no avail.

GRWolverineFan
01-22-12, 07:50
One thing that is very interesting about the GMX to me is that it does not have petals like the TSX so it may perform differently through glass (not shedding petals). The one issue I have seen with it vs. the TSX is needing a higher impact velocity to expand.

DRT
01-22-12, 09:04
I've found that at extremely high velocity >3300fps into H20, the GMX's solid, back half of the bullet will poke through the "expanded umbrella", front half of the bullet thus yielding two separate pieces. This phenomenon was seen with a 165gr GMX out of my 300 magnum. The muzzle velocity of my current handloads is ~3290fps and holds together even under these extreme conditions. I believe that the petals on a TSX would shear off at a much lower velocity, probably <3000fps. I've seen 3 of 4 petals shear off of a 70gr TSX 5.56mm when similarly shot into H20 at 2930fps (20" barrel).

Hornady's 5.56mm 55gr GMX load in their LE catalog has a different p/n than the superformance 55gr GMX though advertised ballistic performance is the same. I bet they are the same load but just use different packaging. I assume that they approve it for a short gas system since that's the test barrel that they used. I'll probably send them an email for clarification.

They also offer a .223 version per their catalog.

CaptainN8
01-08-13, 20:58
Anybody done any hunting or testing with these or the 70 grain?

The 55s were still on the shelf at my LGS. May pick some up to load for hunting.

Mate
04-12-14, 20:04
Did we find out any more on these? They're a great price and I cant find my preferred bullet anywhere..

Jim D
06-04-14, 17:16
Did we find out any more on these? They're a great price and I cant find my preferred bullet anywhere..

I was at a Hornady shoot we did for LE, and we shot their 55gr GMX through auto glass and on bare gel. It performed wonderfully in both mediums... very consistent. Hornady is very cautious about recommending it for general purpose as it crushes barriers, but if that's what you want it's a fantastic round for it. I'm going to be using their 70gr stuff in my 10.5" once it's finished.

Their factory loadings are restricted to LE, but if you're rolling your own, I wouldn't have a second thought about using either the 55gr or 70gr projectiles.

BufordTJustice
06-18-14, 22:56
Jim, What can you say on the performance of the 70gr GMX versus either the 55 GMX or the 70gr TSX?

Jim D
06-19-14, 17:28
Jim, What can you say on the performance of the 70gr GMX versus either the 55 GMX or the 70gr TSX?

I haven't seen much test data on the 70gr TSX recently, but if you can find some, you can compare it to Hornady's LE loads here:
http://www.hornadyle.com/products/rifle-ammunition/556-nato/70-gr-gmx-tap-barrier
http://www.hornadyle.com/products/rifle-ammunition/556-nato/55-gr-gmx-tap-barrier

The bullet composition is 95% identical, so performance should be nearly identical with equal twist rates and velocities, etc.

Morgoth
06-20-14, 17:41
This is what I have for home defense and vehicular carry,it matches perfectly with 55 gr xm193 and my Eotech,I have pics of what it did to a rabbit (not a perp I know) at 110 yds if interested,it dropped so fast I thought I missed

BufordTJustice
06-20-14, 19:57
I haven't seen much test data on the 70gr TSX recently, but if you can find some, you can compare it to Hornady's LE loads here:
http://www.hornadyle.com/products/rifle-ammunition/556-nato/70-gr-gmx-tap-barrier
http://www.hornadyle.com/products/rifle-ammunition/556-nato/55-gr-gmx-tap-barrier

The bullet composition is 95% identical, so performance should be nearly identical with equal twist rates and velocities, etc.

Thank you for the links. The gel shots appear to be impressive and quite similar between the 55gr and 70gr bullet weights. The 55gr BG gel block shot appears to be VERY similar to the 62gr TBBC and Black Hills 50gr TSX BG gel blocks I've seen.

I have two 20 round boxes of the 5.56 Superformance 55gr GMX on the way.

BufordTJustice
06-20-14, 20:28
This is what I have for home defense and vehicular carry,it matches perfectly with 55 gr xm193 and my Eotech,I have pics of what it did to a rabbit (not a perp I know) at 110 yds if interested,it dropped so fast I thought I missed
I would like to see those pix. :)

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

TF82
06-21-14, 09:27
I assume that they approve it for a short gas system since that's the test barrel that they used. I'll probably send them an email for clarification.

They also offer a .223 version per their catalog.

I wouldn't assume anything with Hornady and their Superformance rounds. I assumed that because I read every single word on the box and it said nothing about recommended gas systems, the ammunition I bought would be okay for my carbine. A little internet research after the fact and an email into Hornady showed otherwise. I was glad my retailer took it back because Hornady never responded to my email asking if their was anything I could do about the $100 investment I made in ammunition which I could not use. What really gets me is that there is still not even a warning on their webpage for the 75 gr. 5.56, it only appears on the page for the 55 gr.

BufordTJustice
06-21-14, 19:50
I wouldn't assume anything with Hornady and their Superformance rounds. I assumed that because I read every single word on the box and it said nothing about recommended gas systems, the ammunition I bought would be okay for my carbine. A little internet research after the fact and an email into Hornady showed otherwise. I was glad my retailer took it back because Hornady never responded to my email asking if their was anything I could do about the $100 investment I made in ammunition which I could not use. What really gets me is that there is still not even a warning on their webpage for the 75 gr. 5.56, it only appears on the page for the 55 gr.

Yeah. Even on a 14.5" middy, plan on stepping up buffer weight and possibly action spring strength. And I would still only rec the .223 version.

Jim D
06-21-14, 22:23
My 10.5" "pistol" shoots the LE 5.56mm stuff just fine with a carbine action spring and buffer. I haven't tried heavier buffers in it yet, but it runs the way it is. Perhaps their commercial stuff is loaded quite differently?

TF82
06-22-14, 14:34
Their Superformance rounds are higher pressure and if I understand correctly have a longer pressure curve.

BufordTJustice
06-22-14, 15:33
Their Superformance rounds are higher pressure and if I understand correctly have a longer pressure curve.
I've heard it described as more of a pressure plateau than a curve. Max pressure is within spec but gas volume is a lot higher.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

TF82
06-24-14, 00:34
Yes, that's a better way of putting it. Jim D, the bottom line, though, is that the Superformance is in fact different that the regular LE 5.56.

BufordTJustice
06-24-14, 19:45
Got the 55gr GMX 5.56 NATO Superformance in today. The rounds are loaded 5.56 marked brass cases and are seated to a very uniform depth in the first driving band. Cases are crimped but the mouth is not rolled-over into the driving band/cannelure. I took one round and let the bolt slam home on it 20 times in a row and, other than a dimple in the primer, the round didn't move at all, so case mouth tension seems to be adequate.

This is what I purchased from Ammo To Go:

However, I'm finding a huge variance in listed muzzle velocities. Mine is listed at 3130 fps from a 20" test barrel on the website, 3190fps on the ammo box itself. Further, the TAP offering in 5.56 shows a HUGE increase in MV from a 20" "5.56 NATO barrel" to 3267fps.

I haven't been able to determine why this difference exists aside from a denser powder charge in the TAP ammo (implying the use of filler in the Superformance rounds I have, because they seem to be filled to capacity....there is nothing moving when you shake them).

Can anybody find some real-world chrono data for these rounds?

EDIT: Haven't shot them yet (obviously), but I'm pleased with them so far.

BufordTJustice
06-26-14, 19:11
55gr GMX 5.56 NATO TAP gel shots. From Hornady. Fired from a 16" 1:9 twist DPMS carbine.

See attached.

BufordTJustice
06-26-14, 19:22
70gr GMX 5.56 NATO TAP gel shots. From a 16" Colt 1:7 twist. From Hornady. See attached.

BufordTJustice
06-27-14, 08:19
Here, the 55gr GMX seems to compare very favorably to the 55gr TBBC (exceeding it in AG performance from a 20" rifle and providing equivalent expansion and deeper penetration into BG than the 55gr TBBC). Here it is compared to the 55gr TBBC, 55gr Gold Dot GDSP, and Hornady 60gr Ballistic Tip:

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/wound-ballistics-workshop-gelatin-tests-on-some-new-bullets

A very solid showing against the 55gr TBBC (which has created noticeably larger temp-cavities than the 62gr TBBC in some tests). I'm impressed. As an aside, the GMX does appear to be more rugged than the all-copper TSX, not losing as much weight as the TSX when passing through AG..... which makes sense because gilding metal is a tougher metal than pure copper (being a harder and stronger alloy of copper and zinc). The GMX's hollow point cavity seems to expand much more like an HST handgun bullet (which uses a higher antimony lead formula causing it to be stronger and more rigid...and less likely to be eroded while passing through mediums), with pronounced grooves in the interior emanating from the cavity, while the TSX folds open with only minor grooves remaining and having much more of a "petal'ed mushroom" appearance (like a gold dot, which uses softer low-antimony lead for its core). Also, the structure of the GMX's expanded mushroom (or petals, depending on ones perspective of the head) appears to be thicker from front to back than the TSX's petals.

BufordTJustice
06-27-14, 08:32
Attached are some gel shots from a test (done into permagel...ugh) over at Arfcom. Shot into permagel (ugh) from 10 feet from a 16" Steyer AUG 1:9. You can see what I mean about the structure of the opened TSX versus the opened GMX. It is becoming more clear to me why the TSX design is prone to shearing petals (as Doc says, and has been shown in barrier tests). Possibly from the use of pure copper (which is pretty soft) and also from the actual shape of the face of the expanded projectile?

BufordTJustice
07-04-14, 11:01
Firing 55gr 5.56 GMX Superformance back to back with federal xm193 55gr through my rifle had the Superformance feeling slightly softer. Shooting was done offhand and no chronograph was available.

Jim D
07-04-14, 14:14
The 70gr LE GMX TAP runs great in my 10.5" 5.56mm pistol. Zero flash, even with my Troy Claymore flash enhancer.

BufordTJustice
07-04-14, 16:29
The 70gr LE GMX TAP runs great in my 10.5" 5.56mm pistol. Zero flash, even with my Troy Claymore flash enhancer.
I can't WAIT till Hornady starts making that again. I'm gonna snap some up with a quickness.

The terminal performance looks like it might even exceed the 70gr TSX according to the gel shots furnished by Hornady.

Sixgun_Symphony
07-04-14, 20:27
I can't WAIT till Hornady starts making that again. I'm gonna snap some up with a quickness.

The terminal performance looks like it might even exceed the 70gr TSX according to the gel shots furnished by Hornady.

I dont know, if you ask me they are so similar it doesnt seem like much of a great differance either way

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Ballistic_Gel_Experiments/BARNES/Barnes_5.56_70gr_TAC-X.pdf

BufordTJustice
07-04-14, 21:47
I dont know, if you ask me they are so similar it doesnt seem like much of a great differance either way

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Ballistic_Gel_Experiments/BARNES/Barnes_5.56_70gr_TAC-X.pdf
True, they are close. But the Hornady will be a third the price when it comes back in Stock.

rocsteady
07-05-14, 09:05
Reading some of the earlier posts: am I missing something? I don't see anything that would make me think that these would be similar to the barrier blind characteristics of the Black Hills 50 grain TSX.

In reference to them possibly having issues in shorter barreled carbine's I think you just have try for yourself. I had purchased some 64 grain ammo from silver state armory a while back and primers popped in my 16" BCM right off the bat. They checked the remaining rounds in the lot and what I sent back and it was good, according to them. So it just comes down to what works for you, in your AR.

vicious_cb
07-05-14, 17:25
True, they are close. But the Hornady will be a third the price when it comes back in Stock.

I would say look at the data again. If you actually look at the impact velocities of the barnes data vs the hornadyle data you will see that the 5.56 horndy load is going almost 300 fps faster that the barnes .223 pressure load. Keeping that in mind you are getting almost the EXACT same from both loads while the 70gr at that velocity SHOULD be getting a larger TC and expanded diameter. Until you have an apples to apples comparison like data from the 5.56 pressured brown tip load I would not make any conclusions as to which one is better than the other.

BufordTJustice
07-05-14, 17:37
Reading some of the earlier posts: am I missing something? I don't see anything that would make me think that these would be similar to the barrier blind characteristics of the Black Hills 50 grain TSX.

In reference to them possibly having issues in shorter barreled carbine's I think you just have try for yourself. I had purchased some 64 grain ammo from silver state armory a while back and primers popped in my 16" BCM right off the bat. They checked the remaining rounds in the lot and what I sent back and it was good, according to them. So it just comes down to what works for you, in your AR.
If you look at the gel shots of the 55gr GMX, they look basically identical to the 50gr BH through barriers.

BufordTJustice
07-05-14, 20:20
I would say look at the data again. If you actually look at the impact velocities of the barnes data vs the hornadyle data you will see that the 5.56 horndy load is going almost 300 fps faster that the barnes .223 pressure load. Keeping that in mind you are getting almost the EXACT same from both loads while the 70gr at that velocity SHOULD be getting a larger TC and expanded diameter. Until you have an apples to apples comparison like data from the 5.56 pressured brown tip load I would not make any conclusions as to which one is better than the other.

I've looked plenty. The TSX loses penetration for little gain in temp and perm cavity when it is pushed much faster that the velocities in their gel shots. I have been present for the 55gr and 62gr shedding petals when fired from 20" A1s at 10 yards (federal LE loads). This was in an ATK demo at my agency.

Seeing that the GMX appears to be more sturdy, and it doesn't appear to be as velocity limited as the TSX, I think it will fare well.

The 55gr and 62gr TBBC loads show little variability between high and low impact velocities. We already know that the GMX appears to be more tolerant of higher impact velocities than the TSX.

I'll add that the 50gr BH load shows little variability between impact velocities as long as it is kept above its min velocity. Also, the 50gr load doesn't shed petals like the other TSX at high impact velocities and when traversing barriers like auto glass.

I agree that it does remain to be seen how the GMX performs at lower velocities.

Jim D
07-17-14, 07:42
As a semi-informal data point... I got to shoot this at an ATK Ballistic Shoot we did this week.

We shot this load (5.56mm 70gr GMX) from my 10.5" 1:7 twist "pistol". This was towards the end of the demo on a ~90 degree day, on gel that had a few rounds into it already, so the gel was probably softer than it should be to really get excited about test results. Also, I was firing at a slight downward angle into the gel, so the round impacted the steel table supports during the last 1" of bullet travel through the gel, this deformed the round as you can see in the picture.

None the less, 19" penetration in bare gel, expansion at .424", and almost 2400fps from a 10.5" barrel is impressive if you ask me. Distance was 15 yards.

BufordTJustice
07-17-14, 09:06
As a semi-informal data point... I got to shoot this at an ATK Ballistic Shoot we did this week.

We shot this load (5.56mm 70gr GMX) from my 10.5" 1:7 twist "pistol". This was towards the end of the demo on a ~90 degree day, on gel that had a few rounds into it already, so the gel was probably softer than it should be to really get excited about test results. Also, I was firing at a slight downward angle into the gel, so the round impacted the steel table supports during the last 1" of bullet travel through the gel, this deformed the round as you can see in the picture.

None the less, 19" penetration in bare gel, expansion at .424", and almost 2400fps from a 10.5" barrel is impressive if you ask me. Distance was 15 yards.

That's outstanding from an SBR. That 70gr didn't shed a petal after striking the steel support on the table. The velocity is also very good from a 10.5". Almost double diameter expansion.

Morgoth
07-21-14, 19:11
Any thoughts on where to aquire the 70 gr version? I'm more than happy with the 5.56 55 gr pill in my 16" upper but would like to try the 70 gr stuff

kenndapp
07-29-14, 15:53
Does anyone have any idea what the minimums expantion threshold is for the .224 gmx's?

We know .224 Tsx's will give a bit of expansion down to 1900-1800 depending on bullet wieght. Kind of hoping the gmx's can best that by a bit.

BufordTJustice
07-29-14, 21:16
Does anyone have any idea what the minimums expantion threshold is for the .224 gmx's?

We know .224 Tsx's will give a bit of expansion down to 1900-1800 depending on bullet wieght. Kind of hoping the gmx's can best that by a bit.

That expansion threshold only applies to the 70gr TSX as far as I know. I know the 62gr and 55gr are only rated to expand reliably down to 2200 or 2300 fps.

From what I've seen of sectioned GMX projectiles, they appear to have a larger/wider hollow point cavity than their TSX counterparts. Which would stand to reason because the TSX is softer in composition. As for how this bears on expansion thresholds in the real world remains to be seen.

jstone
07-29-14, 22:25
The expansion threshold on all the tsx bullets should be the same. The only one that should be different is the BHA 50 grain tsx.

BufordTJustice
07-29-14, 23:19
The expansion threshold on all the tsx bullets should be the same. The only one that should be different is the BHA 50 grain tsx.
I found a previous post by WS6 that states the 70gr expands down to 1800, the std 55gr and 62gr down to 1900, and the BH 50gr load down to 2300.

EDIT: 2nd post in this thread by WS6.

https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-140969.html

kenndapp
07-30-14, 15:01
Was curious to find out for sure so I emailed hornady tech support and was told the following...

The 55 grain GMX will have a terminal velocity envelope of 2000 fps to 3500 fps and the 70 grain GMX will be 2400 fps to 3600 fps. You might also need to know that the 55 grain bullet will need at least a 1/12” twist to stabilize it and the 70 grain bullet will need a 1/7” twist.

Thanks,

From: Hornady Manufacturing, Inc [mailto:webmaster@hornady.com]

2400 fps minimum for expansion ??? 2400 is a muzzle velocity out of a sbr. I emailed back asking if that was a mistake and havnt heard back yet.

TAZ
07-30-14, 15:26
Was curious to find out for sure so I emailed hornady tech support and was told the following...

The 55 grain GMX will have a terminal velocity envelope of 2000 fps to 3500 fps and the 70 grain GMX will be 2400 fps to 3600 fps. You might also need to know that the 55 grain bullet will need at least a 1/12” twist to stabilize it and the 70 grain bullet will need a 1/7” twist.

Thanks,

From: Hornady Manufacturing, Inc [mailto:webmaster@hornady.com]

2400 fps minimum for expansion ??? 2400 is a muzzle velocity out of a sbr. I emailed back asking if that was a mistake and havnt heard back yet.

Wow I certainly hope that there is a typo in there. If one needs a max 2400fps for reliable expansion them Hornady developed the best super short range rifle projectile ever. Ballistic shows a 70gr TSX dropping to 2401fps @ 175 yds assuming an MV of 2800fps. LOL... Definitely not what I'm looking for.

BufordTJustice
07-30-14, 19:33
I'm sure that is a typo. Can't say who took the pic, but they're a member. Note the MV and the pristine expansion.

For those who can't zoom in, it's a 70gr GMX that expanded to. 424" and penetrated to 19" at 2387fps.

EDIT: The flat portion of the expanded petals at the bottom is from where the bullet struck the metal table upon which the block was placed.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/31/6e9esebe.jpg

kenndapp
08-01-14, 20:06
Hornady got back to me on the expansion thresholds. I misunderstood them. Here is what they said....

these are muzzle velocity thresholds. The 55 gr. bullet will expand at an impact velocity of 1800 fps. And the 70 gr. bullet will need a 2000 fps impact to allow for expansion. Thanks

Interesting that the 70gr needs 200 fps more than the 55gr to expand. It works in the exact opposite in terms of the Barnes bullets. Maybe hornady mixed up the info and they meant to say 2000 for the 55 and 1800 for the 70?
With more ass behind the 70gr it would make sense that It would be slightly less velocity dependent. Am I off base in my thought process?

BufordTJustice
08-06-14, 14:43
I shot a few rounds of the 70gr TAP yesterday. It was back to back with new production federal xm193 55gr ammo. I shoot it out of my 18" handy rifle.

The primers on the 193 were noticeably more flattened than the 70gr TAP. The 70gr TAP had a little more shove to it, which is normal for a heavier bullet, but otherwise no issues at all.

No chronograph on hand.

WS6
10-03-14, 01:07
Quick question...does Hornady seal the necks of the 70gr 5.56 GMX? They say the primers are staked and sealed. Nothing about the necks.

Also, nice to see truth in advertising. Hornady's site claims from the HK416, 2383fps. It looks like someone in this thread chronographed one (on a hot day) a hair faster. Nice to see the transparency!

vicious_cb
10-03-14, 02:05
So what this thread is saying is that hornady actually managed to put out a decent product this time? Too bad all their previous screw ups have prevented me from ever buying any of their products again.

BufordTJustice
10-03-14, 11:02
Quick question...does Hornady seal the necks of the 70gr 5.56 GMX? They say the primers are staked and sealed. Nothing about the necks.

Also, nice to see truth in advertising. Hornady's site claims from the HK416, 2383fps. It looks like someone in this thread chronographed one (on a hot day) a hair faster. Nice to see the transparency!
The 70gr GMX I have are not sealed at the neck. However the crimp is quite uniform into the driving/fouling groove.

mr h
10-03-14, 15:08
So what this thread is saying is that hornady actually managed to put out a decent product this time? Too bad all their previous screw ups have prevented me from ever buying any of their products again.

ah, more for the rest of us then.....

WS6
10-03-14, 18:12
The 70gr GMX I have are not sealed at the neck. However the crimp is quite uniform into the driving/fouling groove.

I wonder if sealant is "necessary". MK318 is sealed, similar design, outwardly/physically.

Sixgun_Symphony
10-06-14, 11:51
I wonder if sealant is "necessary". MK318 is sealed, similar design, outwardly/physically.

I thought that the Military required a sealant on the Mk318/Mk319 (M855 etc etc) as some waterproofing measure?

bfoosh006
10-25-14, 11:35
Deleted

BufordTJustice
10-26-14, 07:09
Just an FYI.... my chrono'd speeds.

Horn. Sup. 5.56 55gr GMX..
Headstamp: HORNADY 5.56 NATO

16" Barrel...Av. 3130, ES 44...............
20" Barrel...Av. 3201, ES 55..........................EXTREMELY FAST for a solid copper bullet
Wow. Any pressure signs with your brass?

jerrysimons
02-24-15, 15:28
Any updates to this thread? I can find 556 55gr GMX TAP for sale but not the 556 70gr GMX TAP. Is this another one of Hornadys law enforcement only things?
Any more info on 55gr and 70gr GMX expansion velocity thresholds compared to the reinforced 50gr TSX and 55gr/70gr standard TSX?

Just to be clear the 556 TAP loading is not the same as 556 Superformance load, right?

WS6
02-24-15, 16:41
Any updates to this thread? I can find 556 55gr GMX TAP for sale but not the 556 70gr GMX TAP. Is this another one of Hornadys law enforcement only things?
Any more info on 55gr and 70gr GMX expansion velocity thresholds compared to the reinforced 50gr TSX and 55gr/70gr standard TSX?

Just to be clear the 556 TAP loading is not the same as 556 Superformance load, right?

Here is some 55gr GMX TAP 5.56 impacting at mid 2300's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmLFElw3QDQ
Here is some 55 GMX at barely over 2100fps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sukRauELwFk
Here is Barnes 55gr TSX at 2150fps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ht5Th0KtBk

Also, no, it is not the Superformance crap.

Stay tuned for Black Hills to release 70gr 5.56 pressure GMX sealed at the primer and case-neck. TAP GMX is only sealed at the primer from Hornady.

jerrysimons
02-27-15, 15:48
Here is some 55gr GMX TAP 5.56 impacting at mid 2300's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmLFElw3QDQ
Here is some 55 GMX at barely over 2100fps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sukRauELwFk
Here is Barnes 55gr TSX at 2150fps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ht5Th0KtBk

Also, no, it is not the Superformance crap.

Stay tuned for Black Hills to release 70gr 5.56 pressure GMX sealed at the primer and case-neck. TAP GMX is only sealed at the primer from Hornady.

That Black Hills load will surely take the cake. Is SSA 556 70gr TSX sealed in either place?
Has anybody been able to figure out what the expansion threshold is for the 70gr GMX, earlier in the thread the numbers from hornady were first errors and then didn't seem right when 55gr GMX was lower than the 70gr.

Jim D
02-27-15, 16:31
That Black Hills load will surely take the cake. Is SSA 556 70gr TSX sealed in either place?
Has anybody been able to figure out what the expansion threshold is for the 70gr GMX, earlier in the thread the numbers from hornady were first errors and then didn't seem right when 55gr GMX was lower than the 70gr.

I had zero issues with expansion when we shot the 70gr from my 10.5" barrel.

WS6
02-27-15, 18:06

No. SSA is not sealed or crimped primers.
The above poster got great expansion from an sbr. I believe full expansion at around 2400fps. Noone knows the floor.

jerrysimons
02-27-15, 23:44
No. SSA is not sealed or crimped primers.
The above poster got great expansion from an sbr. I believe full expansion at around 2400fps. Noone knows the floor.

Roger. I like some of the benefits of the GMX, less copper fouling, soon to be available with fully sealed 556 loads, perhapse better performance through barriers but the 70gr TSX is known to expand down to 1800-1900fps which may still be a strength in comparison.

vicious_cb
02-28-15, 02:31
Roger. I like some of the benefits of the GMX, less copper fouling, soon to be available with fully sealed 556 loads, perhapse better performance through barriers but the 70gr TSX is known to expand down to 1800-1900fps which may still be a strength in comparison.

Exactly, there is no free lunch. You want make a tougher bullet to get through glass intact and you are going to have to raise the min. expansion velocity. The 50gr TSX optimized has the highest expansion velocity out of all the TSX bullets. All the other TSXs can expand below 2000 fps.

WS6
02-28-15, 10:23
Exactly, there is no free lunch. You want make a tougher bullet to get through glass intact and you are going to have to raise the min. expansion velocity. The 50gr TSX optimized has the highest expansion velocity out of all the TSX bullets. All the other TSXs can expand below 2000 fps.

Yet I've seen 55gr TSX's impact gel at well over 2000fps and just FMJ. Real-data is needed.

BufordTJustice
02-28-15, 18:04
Yet I've seen 55gr TSX's impact gel at well over 2000fps and just FMJ. Real-data is needed.
Yeah, the 55gr TSX in the above video at 2150fps went FMJ.

Tis true it's a trade off.

vicious_cb
02-28-15, 18:47
Yeah, the 55gr TSX in the above video at 2150fps went FMJ.

Tis true it's a trade off.

If hes using clear ballistics gel Im taking that with a huge grain of salt. Its a very poor medium for anything high velocity.

Molon
04-06-15, 20:48
I also hope it doesn't suffer from the poor accuracy of the Super Performance 75 gr OTM noted in testing by Molon (I believe) over on ARF some time ago.

Hornady 75 grain 5.56mm Superformance: Update

https://app.box.com/shared/static/mjmiqbesyutb809i0a5u8eup63815lv9.jpg

In 2010, I posted a sneak preview (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/515299_.html) of Hornady’s 75 gain 5.56mm Superformance ammunition. When chronographed from a 20” Colt M16A2 barrel, this Superformance load produced the highest muzzle velocity for a 75 grain load that I had ever seen; 2909 FPS. The table below shows the muzzle velocity of the Superformance load compared to other Hornady loads charged with standard powders.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/d7ari6jk2d.jpg

Unfortunately, this increased velocity load came with a price; and I’m not referring to dollar signs. The accuracy of the 5.56mm 75 grain Superformance load was . . . how shall I say this? . . . sub-standard . . . for what myself and others here had come to expect from a “premium” heavy OTM factory load. The smallest 10-shot group that I obtained from a chrome-lined, NATO chambered, 20” Colt HBAR at a distance of 100 yards had an extreme spread of 3.4” and a mean radius of 1.16”. Others here who tested the load using match grade stainless steel barrels faired hardly better.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/b70hxyavt2vvibi778a58vfyhujvmalq.jpg

http://www.box.net/shared/static/knb2dg3c2f.jpg

Since that time, Hornady has made a few changes to the 5.56mm 75 grain Superformance load. For starters (and of no real consequence) the boxes for this load now carry a “match ammunition” nomenclature instead of the original “Varmint” label. Secondly, this load is now seated with the 75 grain “T2” projectile instead of the T1 found in the original load.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/zdbs51sfw5qpe4pccovq6vo34g5hkxd6.jpg

Thirdly, the velocity of this 5.56mm Superformance load has been reduced. While the original load produced of muzzle velocity of 2909 FPS from a 20” barrel, the new version had a muzzle velocity of 2863 FPS for a difference of 46 FPS. Most importantly, this new version of the load has shown significantly improved accuracy over the original version.

Following my usual protocol for accuracy testing (which can be viewed in detail here here (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/670498_Range_Report___Black_Hills_5_56mm_50_grain_TSX.html)), I fired three 10-shot groups in a row from a distance of 100 yards from a Lothar Walther barreled semi-automatic AR-15 with the Hornady 75 grain 5.56mm Superformance “Mod 1” ammunition. The resulting 10-shot groups had extreme spreads of:

1.31”
1.93”
1.02”

for an average 10-shot group extreme spread of 1.42”. The mean radius for the 30-shot composite group was 0.48”. For comparison, three 10-shot groups fired from the same barrel using Hornady 5.56mm TAP T2 ammunition had an average extreme spread of 1.09” and 30-shot composite group mean radius of 0.34”.

The smallest 10-shot group of the “Mod 1” Superformance ammunition.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/7gcmkqioy3pwmgsa6tg5gk9ajw2xc7kn.jpg

It should be noted that the Superformance powder creates a higher port-pressure for less than full-length gas systems compared to standard powders.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/sttxz9tojuww9iqr796lwijcwrx5m8o6.jpg

….

Molon
04-06-15, 20:49
Hornady 5.56mm 55 grain GMX Superformance

https://app.box.com/shared/static/fw9d15jjv8wc8q4genqdvowoans7nr7o.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/udhylcys3fu095ety71tqrzwe99u19sz.jpg

BufordTJustice
04-07-15, 07:25
Hornady 5.56mm 55 grain GMX Superformance

https://app.box.com/shared/static/fw9d15jjv8wc8q4genqdvowoans7nr7o.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/udhylcys3fu095ety71tqrzwe99u19sz.jpg

Not match ammo, but not horrible considering how fast it's going.

PatrioticDisorder
04-13-15, 17:31
Anyone see any GMX in stock lately at reasonable prices (like $1 or less per round)? All I see is $25 + shipping for a box of 20, previously this stuff seemed easy to find for $170 for 200....

BufordTJustice
04-14-15, 10:20
Anyone see any GMX in stock lately at reasonable prices (like $1 or less per round)? All I see is $25 + shipping for a box of 20, previously this stuff seemed easy to find for $170 for 200....
I think the secret may be getting out..... And BH is taking up a certain percentage of GMX output for their new loads.

PatrioticDisorder
04-14-15, 13:06
I think the secret may be getting out..... And BH is taking up a certain percentage of GMX output for their new loads.

That's cool as long as BH releases those new loads soon...

BufordTJustice
04-14-15, 16:58
That's cool as long as BH releases those new loads soon...
Agreed. They have the GMX 70gr and 77gr TMK coming out soon. Let's hope very soon.

WS6
04-14-15, 18:23
Agreed. They have the GMX 70gr and 77gr TMK coming out soon. Let's hope very soon.

TMK is old news. The 70 gmx should be out soon. Sealed case necks too.

PatrioticDisorder
04-14-15, 20:47

Please tell me this is going to be in 5.56 and not watered down .223. Maybe I'll stock up on BH 5.56 GMX 70gr rather than Hornady TMX 55gr., how would 70gr fair out of 11.5" barrel? Anyone know what the expansion range would be?

WS6
04-14-15, 20:50
Please tell me this is going to be in 5.56 and not watered down .223. Maybe I'll stock up on BH 5.56 GMX 70gr rather than Hornady TMX 55gr., how would 70gr fair out of 11.5" barrel? Anyone know what the expansion range would be?
It will be full 5.56 pressure. Initial testing from a 10.3 shows full expansion at normal test distance but I don't knkw how far downrange that carries.

HD1911
04-17-15, 01:30
It will be full 5.56 pressure. Initial testing from a 10.3 shows full expansion at normal test distance but I don't knkw how far downrange that carries.

Probably around 300 Yards out of a 16". That's based off of 2,700 FPS Muzzle Velocity with a .350 G1 Ballistic Coefficient, with Hornady's own self proclaimed 2,000 FPS Velocity Threshold. It may not be Max Expansion (like the .5" Black Hills has already claimed) but it should be some atleast.

Black Hills is also going to be sealing Case Necks on the 5.56 50gr & 62gr TSX Loadings as well, from here on out.

C4IGrant
07-30-15, 13:22
Finally. What a PITA it is to get ahold of.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=81265

C4

BufordTJustice
07-30-15, 17:12
Finally. What a PITA it is to get ahold of.

C4
Outstanding! Is Hornady producing this again, or is this some hidden goodness?

Jim D
07-30-15, 19:45

Hornady is always making it for the LE market. We just got in 55gr GMX for an agency too (about 90 day lead time).

C4IGrant
07-31-15, 08:16

New production.

C4

vicious_cb
07-31-15, 09:55

https://www.triadtactical.com/Black-Hills-New-5.56mm-70gr-GMX.html

Should start trickling in soon. And at 25 cents less per round than the hornady offering.

jerrysimons
08-17-15, 18:45
Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding our TAP GMX ammunition line. The expansion threshold on the GMX bullets is comparable to other bullets with the bottom of the window of performance at approximately 1900 fps. Our TAP line of ammunition does not utilize the same powder as our Superformance, since it was designed to function in a variety of Law Enforcement/Military AR platforms. In regards to the 55 GMX, yes it does penetrate further than the 70 grain GMX, due to the fact it is traveling approximately 400 fps faster and it is lighter in weight. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

From a recent email inquiry.

woods
08-18-15, 07:31
I thought a larger slower bullet was supposed to penetrate more than a lighter faster bullet. What did Hornaday do change the rules of physics

fz1boxer
08-22-15, 16:35
just got an email from wideners they have the 55 grain gmx on sale,bullet only,$20/100

WS6
11-13-15, 19:03
https://www.triadtactical.com/Black-Hills-New-5.56mm-70gr-GMX.html

Should start trickling in soon. And at 25 cents less per round than the hornady offering.

Hornady 5.56 GMX LE ammo sells at <$1 round including typical retailer mark-up. G&R is marking it up. Significantly.
That said, Black Hills is typically $75/50 at any retailer. I am not sure their actual cost to said retailer.

WS6
11-13-15, 19:04
From a recent email inquiry.

I was told the same, about 6 months ago. However, they also said the cases were sealed at the neck and primer, and they are NOT sealed at the neck. Black Hills however loads the 70gr GMX sealed at both ends. I have a box and verified.

Molon
11-13-15, 19:19
The Hornady 5.56mm 70 grain GMX TAP Barrier has sealant at the primer pocket and case-mouth/bullet "cannelure."

https://app.box.com/shared/static/1okw8dga1iieze4angfdqp8jwg7xonro.jpg

C4IGrant
11-13-15, 19:29
Hornady 5.56 GMX LE ammo sells at <$1 round including typical retailer mark-up. G&R is marking it up. Significantly.
That said, Black Hills is typically $75/50 at any retailer. I am not sure their actual cost to said retailer.

Sorry, but no. We have the Hornady 70gr GMX for $1.50 per round. This ammo is HEAVILY restricted and quite honestly took us a long time to get

C4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WS6
11-13-15, 20:21
The Hornady 5.56mm 70 grain GMX TAP Barrier has sealant at the primer pocket and case-mouth/bullet "cannelure."

https://app.box.com/shared/static/1okw8dga1iieze4angfdqp8jwg7xonro.jpg

The 55gr version does not. I wonder if this is 70gr only, or if they updated the product line.

WS6
11-13-15, 20:28
Sorry, but no. We have the Hornady 70gr GMX for $1.50 per round. This ammo is HEAVILY restricted and quite honestly took us a long time to get

C4

http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/Hornady-5-56-NATO-GMX-Tap-Barrier-OTM-Ammo-p/81255.htm

So does Hornady have a 50% higher cost due to the extra 15gr of projectile?

HD1911
11-13-15, 20:29
http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/Hornady-5-56-NATO-GMX-Tap-Barrier-OTM-Ammo-p/81255.htm

Oh Snap!

WS6
11-13-15, 20:39
Oh Snap!

Yep, bid price is identical for the 55gr and 70gr loads.
http://www.lawmens.net/portfolio/5-56/

HD1911
11-13-15, 20:41
Yep, bid price is identical for the 55gr and 70gr loads.
http://www.lawmens.net/portfolio/5-56/

Well I'll be durn...

C4IGrant
11-17-15, 08:53

Keep in mind that most of us don't go through Hornady to get our Ammo. We go through one of their distributors. Since this is LE ammo and restricted, it is even hard to find. Because of this, the cost rises over the much easier to get 55gr version.

If you notice, the dealer listed above doesn't even have the 70gr GMX. ;-)

C4

WS6
11-29-15, 07:51
Tested some out in water (black hills variety) and it tumbled. Looked at Hornady LE website gel shots...and it shows end over end as well. At least with the 70gr. The 55gr that I tested tracked true. Wierd. 1/7 16.1".

jerrysimons
11-29-15, 21:08
Tested some out in water (black hills variety) and it tumbled. Looked at Hornady LE website gel shots...and it shows end over end as well. At least with the 70gr. The 55gr that I tested tracked true. Wierd. 1/7 16.1".

Is that bad? I looked at the gel pics on hornady's site but couldn't tell about tumbling.

TAZ
11-30-15, 11:01

C4

Just as an FYI, what's the reason for the "heavy restriction"? Too new with high demand...

C4IGrant
11-30-15, 11:03
Just as an FYI, what's the reason for the "heavy restriction"? Too new with high demand...

Certain loads manufacturers allocate ONLY for LE or Military. BH's, ATK, Winchester, Hornady, etc all do it.

WS6
11-30-15, 11:53
Is that bad? I looked at the gel pics on hornady's site but couldn't tell about tumbling.

I personally think it's bad. I want a bullet that tracks true, and doesn't tumble. I want a proper expanding bullet. Here is what happens when it tumbles:
http://i66.tinypic.com/2d0cso3.jpg

WS6
12-02-15, 05:19
Certain loads manufacturers allocate ONLY for LE or Military. BH's, ATK, Winchester, Hornady, etc all do it.

This is correct, and sometimes, when dealers get ahold of it, they place a premium on it to us dirty civilians, and others sell it for much less mark-up.

http://www.milehighshooting.com/hornady-5-56-nato-70-gr-gmx-tap-barrier/

C4IGrant
12-02-15, 08:27
This is correct, and sometimes, when dealers get ahold of it, they place a premium on it to us dirty civilians, and others sell it for much less mark-up.

http://www.milehighshooting.com/hornady-5-56-nato-70-gr-gmx-tap-barrier/

An sometimes non-Hornady LE dealers (which is us) have to get it through back channels where the "dirty" Hornady LE Distributor marks it up (as they know it is rare). On top of that, we waited more than 6 months for our order to be filled. If you don't like our prices, don't buy it, but don't complain when we are the only ones with it in stock for a couple dollars over.

C4

mr h
12-02-15, 10:29
is this a lack of velocity problem?

I personally think it's bad. I want a bullet that tracks true, and doesn't tumble. I want a proper expanding bullet. Here is what happens when it tumbles:
http://i66.tinypic.com/2d0cso3.jpg

TAZ
12-02-15, 10:41
An sometimes non-Hornady LE dealers (which is us) have to get it through back channels where the "dirty" Hornady LE Distributor marks it up (as they know it is rare). On top of that, we waited more than 6 months for our order to be filled. If you don't like our prices, don't buy it, but don't complain when we are the only ones with it in stock for a couple dollars over.

C4

Apologies if my question about why the 70gr GMX is such a unicorn came across as implying that you were gouging. DEFINITELY not meant as such, was truly just wondering why Hornady would take a pass on sales.

WS6
12-02-15, 11:10

It's a bullet integrity issue. Hits hard, over-expands, frontal area is not symmetrical, tumbles, shears remaining petals. Can be seen in Hornady's LE gel shots, and Black Hill's gel shots, as well.

Molon
12-02-15, 11:26

From Hornady's website; testing conducted using 10% ordnance gel.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/8m7mnni5spw1foqc3tlas85cbbqt59ct.jpg

From Black Hills Ammunition website; testing conducted using 10% ordnance gel.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/omph1o4u0fxnvhmqs9sv6zcd4ro85vf1.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/2nie2kbgdfv9ssmfi256d560d9crn0lu.jpg

jbjh
12-02-15, 11:36

Is a wound track from a bullet tumbling after entering a target bad? I understand the desire for a bullet that goes straight and true through a target, but wouldn't a wound track that is the length of a bullet end-over-end be acceptable? (not trying to be snarky or obtuse, actually posing a question)

Sent from 80ms in the future
Jimmy

jerrysimons
12-02-15, 12:09

I have to say I can not discern what you describe in the gel tests by hornady. Molon posted the pics above for everyone. Maybe that bullet is more likely to tumble in a water jug but tracks in gel.

C4IGrant
12-02-15, 12:17
Apologies if my question about why the 70gr GMX is such a unicorn came across as implying that you were gouging. DEFINITELY not meant as such, was truly just wondering why Hornady would take a pass on sales.

Not in the least.

C4

WS6
12-02-15, 12:41
Is a wound track from a bullet tumbling after entering a target bad? I understand the desire for a bullet that goes straight and true through a target, but wouldn't a wound track that is the length of a bullet end-over-end be acceptable? (not trying to be snarky or obtuse, actually posing a question)

Sent from 80ms in the future
Jimmy

Well, I would prefer to hit the organs I aimed at. I like bullets that allow me to shoot for the exit, so to speak. Not which go off willy nilly once they hit the target.

WS6
12-02-15, 12:44
I have to say I can not discern what you describe in the gel tests by hornady. Molon posted the pics above for everyone. Maybe that bullet is more likely to tumble in a water jug but tracks in gel.

This bullet is almost sideways in the gel, facing the camera.
https://blackhillsammo.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/5-56-70-gr-gmx-hornady-10-in-barrel-1-6-2015-a.jpg

That was fired from a 10.5" gun. Fire it from a 14.5+ and you're going to get even worse yaw, as the structural failure of the bullet is worse/more likely.

In both cases, the bullets tumbled nearly out of the jugs I shot. It was a PITA to recover them. The 62gr TSX, Gold Dot 75gr, and 64gr Ranger Bonded tracked true. Are water jugs living things? No. But my water jug experience seems to mirror gel, which has been said to mirror flesh and blood. I'm leery.

Charging Handle
12-06-15, 22:52
I'm pretty impressed by the performance of the 55 gr TAP version of this load. In many regards, it seems the 55 gr GMX bullet is superior to the 55 gr TSX. I may have to give this stuff a try, as it seems to be one of the barrier blind loads with the best potential match to M193 in terms of trajectory. It would be nice if the GMX/M193 combo does reasonably well using the same zero from 0-300 yards. I expect there will be some POI shift between the two loads, but being both are 55 gr bullets at similar velocities, I think the chances are good they will be quite close...enough so for training purposes anyway.

WS6
12-06-15, 22:55
I'm pretty impressed by the performance of the 55 gr TAP version of this load. In many regards, it seems the 55 gr GMX bullet is superior to the 55 gr TSX. I may have to give this stuff a try, as it seems to be one of the barrier blind loads with the best potential match to M193 in terms of trajectory. It would be nice if the GMX/M193 combo does reasonably well using the same zero from 0-300 yards. I expect there will be some POI shift between the two loads, but being both are 55 gr bullets at similar velocities, I think the chances are good they will be quite close...enough so for training purposes anyway.

I agree that the 55gr stuff is better than the 70gr from what I've seen.

mr h
12-07-15, 13:57
not that this is scientific but here is what a 55gr GMX and a Mk318 shot from a 12.5" into soft dirt hillside at 50 yards looks like. a friend was inquiring about what ammo to get for a rainy day and we were talking about these 2 loads. i was printing them on paper and dug them out of the hillside.

the great thing about 55gr GMX is that it shoots to nearly an identical POI as m193 out to about 100 yds.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g397/krinkfan/IMG_3696_zpsfowo8621.jpg

edit; next time i go shooting i'll take some plywood or 2x4's to shoot through so we see what barrier ammo looks like after passing thru a barrier.