PDA

View Full Version : Which rifle?

white spaniard
12-04-07, 11:44
Hi everyone what types of rifles do you recommend for precision shooting:confused:

rob_s
12-04-07, 12:02
That is a HUGE question! :D

What range? Semi or bolt? Caliber? etc. The list goes on.

white spaniard
12-04-07, 12:20
Sorry should have put a little more info. bolt action, up to 600 yds, and Caliber? A colleague recommends .223 but does a .223 have enough power to reach that far (600 yds)? For me I have choosen a .308 Cal.

C4IGrant
12-04-07, 12:23
Sorry should have put a little more info. bolt action, up to 600 yds, and Caliber? A colleague recommends .223 but does a .223 have enough power to reach that far (600 yds)? For me I have choosen a .308 Cal.

At that distance, I think I would look more to the 308.

C4

white spaniard
12-04-07, 13:23
Would a Remington 700P be considered a precision rifle?

C4IGrant
12-04-07, 13:28
Would a Remington 700P be considered a precision rifle?

Yes.

C4

USMC03
12-04-07, 13:31
Read Zak Smith's articles. They may help your decision making:

PRACTICAL LONG RANGE RIFLE SHOOTING Article Series:

PART I: THE RIFLE & GEAR - priorities, cost, calibers, rifles, ammunition, scopes, range-finders, ancillary gear, spotting, data:

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-equipment/

PART II: OPTICS - ballistics, elevation, wind, lead, data cards, dialing elevation, parallax, first focal plane vs. second focal plane, elevation adjustment & travel, clicks, zero-stop, single- vs. multi-turn knobs, bullet-drop compensators (BDC), tube diameter, reticle features, MIL vs. MOA, reticle illumination, brightness, magnification, objective size, specific recommendations

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-optics/

PART III: SHOOTING - zeroing, finding a range, targets and placement, packing up, arrival, target location, positioning, making scope adjustments, engagement, follow-up, shooter/spotter communication, efficiency

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-shooting/

Semper Fi,
Jeff

Lawdog537
12-05-07, 16:01
I don't think you could go wrong with a Remington 700P or even the VS model. I have never seen any of the ones our team shoots have any problems. I had a left hand varmiter variant because I am left handed and that was the only LH variant I could get at the time, and It shot great. 5/8" groups at 100 yrds (Federal 168 gr Gold Medal Match BTHP) are pretty standard out of the box accuracy from what I/we have experianced. Also, it is my opinion that you can't go wrong with a Leopold MK4 scope. For out to 600 yards this would do just fine and be fairly affordable.

Trim2L
12-06-07, 00:14
If you have to ask then you should just get a bone stock 700P in .308.

GONIF
12-07-07, 15:04
The Rem 700p is a great choice ,a Savage will also work . If your going to shoot at 600 yards you will need a good scope ,this is where it gets expensive . plan on spending as much on the scope as the rifle if you want to punch small tight groups at 600 yards . cheaping out on the scope will cost you more in the long run than getting a good scope to start with. I prefer the Remmy over the savage for what it's worth .