PDA

View Full Version : Alloy Framed Hi-Power NOVAK Custom

C4IGrant
12-10-11, 13:22
About a year or so ago, I bought a Nazi marked Hi-Power from Mr. Hackathorn. The gun was so nice and a collectable item that I just couldn't bring myself to shoot it.

So I needed to buy another one (to shoot). I didn't really know what I wanted, but did know that I wanted one that had already been through a quality pistolsmith. Off to Gunbroker I went. I searched and I searched and I searched. Not many people dumping custom Hi-Powers.

Then I found it! Doing a search for NOVAK built Hi-Powers, I came across an Alloy framed Hi-Power that Novak had done a full custom job on. Not knowing much about this (or if an alloy framed Hi-Power was worth owning), I fired off an e-mail to the Guru of Guru's, Mr. Vickers. I asked for his opinion on the gun. He advised that the Alloy Framed Hi-Powers WAS the one to own! Hmmm Really? Let me look around the net and see if I can find any more of them for sale. None could be found.

Not knowing what this gun was worth, I asked LAV if this price was fair ($2900). He said no and that in order to make it a "good deal", the gun would need to be purchased for around $1800. Crap! This thing is $1100 over that. I am not going to get it for $1800. :cray:

So I waited and watched. Auction ran its course and no buyers. The seller dropped the price to $2600. Auction ran and no buyers. The seller dropped the price to $2400. Auction ran and no buyers. Seller dropped the price to $2200 and re-listed the gun. Hmmm, I wonder if they will sell this gun off of GB for less money??? So I sent them an e-mail. After talking to the dealer, the gun was on consignment and if that it did not sell for $2200, that I could have it for $1800! :dance3:

I patiently watched the auction come and go with no buyers and got it for the target price of $1800. :D

A couple weeks later, I was talking to Hackathorn about it and he advised me that I got a SMOKIN deal on! I ordered some Wolf springs so I could do some PM's and off I went to the range. Gun ran well and shot tight groups.

Life is good......

C4

Nazi marked Hi-Power
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%201911/FN_HP_Full.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%201911/FN_HP_Nazi_Stamp.jpg

Alloy Framed Novak Custom
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/HIPOWER_Side.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/HIPOWER_Side1.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/HIPOWER_TOP.jpg

Detmongo
12-10-11, 13:47
Nice score Grant,
i had Novaks build me a high power a looooooong time ago. i still have it and will never part with it. good luck with it and enjoy it.

Trajan
12-10-11, 13:48
Looks really nice Grant.
I really need to get a Hi Power someday...

SeriousStudent
12-10-11, 13:51
Beautiful pistol, and a nice price on the deal.

I do have a soft spot in my heart for the old Hi-Powers. I'm old enough that if you wanted a good 9mm pistol, they were the common choice. The West German Sigs were not really imported here yet, Gaston Glock was wearing knee pants, and your other choices were Star, Llama, et al.

And I really do enjoy how they fit in the hand with a set of good rosewood grips.

DocGKR had a really nice Cylinder & Slide Hi-Power he sold on here a while back, and I nearly grabbed that.

willowofwisp
12-10-11, 14:12
Beautiful pistol and a steal on that gun for the price. I really like the look of the grips on that gnu too. I wonder if anyone ever mounted a weapon light on BHP.

C4IGrant
12-10-11, 14:23
Thanks guys. To me, this gun is a classic and will always be a classic.

C4

Jake'sDad
12-10-11, 14:28
Beautiful gun Grant. My best friend has a Novak Hi Power and I've always admired it.

rdc0000
12-10-11, 14:53
That is a Very nice Belgium HP pistol. Now I've got the bug...

Norinco
12-10-11, 14:54
$1800?!?
WELL DONE SIR!

Quentin
12-10-11, 15:40
Beautiful pistols, Grant! And a great price on the Novak. You can be proud of them both. Your patience and diligence are a reminder to all of us that there are incredible bargains out there if you work hard at it.

I'm 63 and have long loved Hi Powers along with Lugers and 1911s - and ended up acquiring at least a couple of each. Classics in every way and I'd have to be desperate to sell them.

To me no pistol feels as good in my hand as the Hi Power. Also no pistol looks better than the "King Of Nines"! It was way ahead of its time and still is a serious weapon today.

ErikL
12-10-11, 15:56
Grant great little story on your purchase, a Novak hi Power is on my list of must owns as well. I remember reading about them back before I was old enough to own my own firearms and have wanted one ever since. Very nice score.

TANTO
12-11-11, 12:12
Don't forget those factory 20 round mags! You can get an absolutely perfect and reliable 4-5 lb trigger. And most definately let Novak matt the front strap. Not high round count guns though, but it's not a gun you need lots of practice with IMO. Love my Novak steel gun.

panzerr
12-11-11, 14:31
Very nice!

C4IGrant
12-11-11, 14:32
Don't forget those factory 20 round mags! You can get an absolutely perfect and reliable 4-5 lb trigger. And most definately let Novak matt the front strap. Not high round count guns though, but it's not a gun you need lots of practice with IMO. Love my Novak steel gun.

Who makes reliable 20rd mags for it? Mecgar?

C4

outrider627
12-11-11, 18:37
Nice. I never really cared for the Hi Power until I got an early 60s Argentinian Police marked model. Best part about it was that I got it for free! Along with 4 other firearms. :D Its nowhere near perfect condition, but since its an early internal ejector model, I have only shot a few mags through it to make sure it works.

Aaron_B
12-11-11, 19:36
Very nice Grant. I've been looking at Hi Powers off and on, this might have helped me make my mind up.

TANTO
12-11-11, 19:48
Who makes reliable 20rd mags for it? Mecgar?

C4

Just looked at my three 20's and they have no markings so i assume they are Mecgar, so your call on whether they should be considered factory. If memory serves for a long time hi-power mags had no markings whatsoever thus me thinking the 20's were also "factory". Since i shot one in IPSC for two years and my wife for several more and not recalling even one malfunction, i have considered the 20 reliable also, but likely can't say that from experience in retrospect as the 20's didn't see much action. I do recall the SAS downloading the 13's by one round, so they apparently had some first round feed issues. From my experience smithing them, the slides are just too soft. My wifes portugal gun had to have the cutout area in the bottom of the slide welded up after probably only 6-8k rounds!. Thats when they dropped off my serious list. The thumb safety is too small to get off reliably and an extended one is hard to get enough detent pressure to be safe to carry. And then no plus p's? Just too fragile for todays competition. One of the few guns with an outstanding trigger though, after it's worked that is. I miss nice triggers.

TANTO
12-11-11, 19:56
Speaking of alloy high powers, which i didn't even know they ever made, i was at Novaks shop in the late 80's and he showed me another alloy gun that i still lust after to this day - a FAL paratrooper with alloy receiver. I would love one of these and used to carry a magnet with me when i went to shows for a couple of years. I suspect they were extremely low production.

TOrrock
12-11-11, 20:01
Speaking of alloy high powers, which i didn't even know they ever made, i was at Novaks shop in the late 80's and he showed me another alloy gun that i still lust after to this day - a FAL paratrooper with alloy receiver. I would love one of these and used to carry a magnet with me when i went to shows for a couple of years. I suspect they were extremely low production.

Not to derail, but all FN 50:63 Para FAL's (the ones with 17.75" barrels) had alloy lower receivers.

Nicely done Grant. I love HiPowers, have had several, and they all turn the web of my wookie paw into hamburger within a couple mags.

I remember when a tuned HiPower was THE cool-guy gun. SAS, FBI HRT, etc.

The unmarked 20's I had back in the late 80's looked to be factory or factory equivalent with good construction, properly heat treated feed lips, quality spring, and very nice parkerizing. It's one of those things you need to be looking at to buy and know what you're looking for, or have a trusted associate find them for you.

DrMark
12-11-11, 20:36
Great Hi-Powers, both.

I buy Mecgar mags for my Hi-Powers. I have one Mecgar 20-rounder; it's been reliable.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-11-11, 21:29
There is a C&S tuned HP around here that I have been trying not to buy. This is not helping.