PDA

View Full Version : How are you mounting your EOTEchs?

strongisland
12-04-07, 13:49
Curious as to how most are mounting their EOTechs. Directly on the receiver rail or Larue mount? Pros and Cons or likes and dislikes?

rhino
12-04-07, 14:06
Directly on the receiver.

I have no need for quick detach and I don't want any kind of "riser."

C4IGrant
12-04-07, 14:28
I prefer a lower 1/3 co-witness as it gives you a better FOV. So the LT EOTech mount would be my first choice.

C4

tiger seven
12-04-07, 14:28
LaRue mount.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/zulu15/carbine_eo.jpg

I like the QD feature, and I can attest to the fact that there is no loss of zero with the LaRue mount. I also find that the reticle of the EOTech is easier and faster to pick up when on the mount. It elevates the optic just enough that it is better aligned with my head. It also moves the reticle up just enough that the iron sights sit in the lower third of the window. When mounted directly to the receiver, the dot of my EOTech reticle was precisely on top of the front sight post. Some people like that, but I did not. Since they are two separate sighting systems, I like them to be separate. It's really just a matter of personal preference, though.

Derek

Steel_Weasel
12-04-07, 14:46
I have no doubt that I'm in the minority in that I use a GG&G accu-cam to mount my Eotech. My 'crunch' blaster has flip up front/rear irons. Regardless, it has performed exceptionally well through the years and numerous courses and I'm very satisfied with it. No doubt the LT riser mount is very good. Likewise I use another M4 with an RRA Dominator mount and have found it very good as well. Like most things in life it boils down to personal preference.

Paulinski
12-04-07, 14:59
I use LaRue mount, and prefer the lower 1/3 co-witness.

KevinB
12-04-07, 15:32
552 - Larue for the bottom 1/3rd

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Afghan%20Take%20II/Holsterclearsarmor.jpg

KLR_Redux
12-04-07, 15:37
I just mount it on the rail. The red dot sits on top of the front sight (Troy front and rear BUIS) when the sights are aligned.

BushmasterFanBoy
12-04-07, 16:47
I'm using mine mounted directly to my LaRue rail HG's. I'm also using flip front and rear sights, so I like absolute co witness with no riser needed for a free field of view.

Southern Cross
12-04-07, 19:54
Cowitness mounted directly on the rail. My Eotech never comes off so there's no need for quick release grams to be added. I did however just add the GG&G Eotech hood cover. If you're a sloppy cleaner like me...or your range has lots of dust or grime...its a must buy...

AR-15A3
12-04-07, 19:59
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/Alpha-Romeo3/Hunting/LMTDefender2000RIG_ZM-APS-1.jpg

I also prefer a lower 1/3 co-witness with my LaRue QD EOTech mount because it gives me a better FOV.

Stickman
12-04-07, 20:04
I use the thumbscrew so I can get a cowitness. I like knowing that everything is lined up.

fivepointoh
12-04-07, 20:10
I always mounted right on the receiver. It works for me and keeps me from having to spend extra money. :p

Eric
12-04-07, 22:42
Mine are directly mounted to the upper. I think it's a matter of personal preference and unlike a post elsewhere, I appreciate everyone sharing their opinion without getting their undies a bundle over differing views.

Shihan
12-05-07, 03:19
You guys use Locktite on the Eotech?

Marc
12-05-07, 03:30
Larue mount, as some others I don't like to have the dot on my front sight post.
A little of blue Loctite on the threads of the Eothech.

Mojo58
12-05-07, 03:52
I prefer a lower 1/3 co-witness as it gives you a better FOV. So the LT EOTech mount would be my first choice.

C4

+1 I prefer the lower 1/3 co-witness. For me personally, I find it very fast with my EOTech. I've tried the absolute co-witness and it's not for me. My LT-110 is solid on my ArmaLite M15 upper without LocTite. Haven't needed LocTite on my EOTech either.

ThirdWatcher
12-05-07, 09:32
I bought my first AR-15A2 in 1990, but I'm kinda new to the sight game. If you mount an Eotech directly to the flat top (like my Colt 6920) , does the front sight get in the way (of your sight picture)?

tiger seven
12-05-07, 09:39
I use blue Loctite on my EOTech.

Derek

BushmasterFanBoy
12-05-07, 09:40
I bought my first AR-15A2 in 1990, but I'm kinda new to the sight game. If you mount an Eotech directly to the flat top (like my Colt 6920) , does the front sight get in the way (of your sight picture)?

Yes, it does. However, that's not to say it becomes overly distracting. It's certainly possible to use one mounted directly to the fail with a fixed FSB. It's there, but after a while, and due to your eyes both being open and focusing on the target, the FSB isn't that noticable anymore. If you were going to run a fixed front site forever though, I'd certainly recommend a LaRue mount for it.

rmecapn
12-05-07, 11:43

No more than it does when using the iron sights. When sighted properly (absolute co-witness), then the red dot of the optic sits directly on top of the front sight post. I've tried both absolute co-witness and lower 1/3. The lower 1/3 didn't afford me that much better of a sight picture that I thought it was worth the additional $100 or so to get a riser. Try it both ways. I'm sure someone has a lower 1/3 setup that would let you try it.

docsprague
12-05-07, 14:25
Mine is mount directly to the receiver but it is a 553. I prefer co-witness to be in the lower 1/3. I had a 552 that was mounted directly to the receiver and it was kind of annoying

rhino
12-05-07, 15:54
You guys use Locktite on the Eotech?

Nope. I foolishly read the instructions when I got mine and I was intimidated into following the "do not use" thread locking stuff part. I'd probably degrease and loctite if I needed, but so far it hasn't been needed.

I used a paint marker on the screw so I can see quickly if it has loosened. So far it hasn't budged. I'm lucky!

ThirdWatcher
12-05-07, 18:11
Thanks!!!

Tzoid
12-05-07, 18:41
I have mine mounted directly to the rail and it stays there.

I check it after every range session and so far so good.

SuicideHz
12-05-07, 18:45
No more than it does when using the iron sights. When sighted properly (absolute co-witness), then the red dot of the optic sits directly on top of the front sight post. I've tried both absolute co-witness and lower 1/3. The lower 1/3 didn't afford me that much better of a sight picture that I thought it was worth the additional $100 or so to get a riser. Try it both ways. I'm sure someone has a lower 1/3 setup that would let you try it.

Pretty much the same for me. I used one without a riser for a long time on different rifles and different types of Eotechs. I eventually bought a LaRue riser so I could easily swap around optics onto the rifle but eventually sold it as I didn't have that much of a need for it.

COLT6933
12-06-07, 10:59
LaRue mount for my 512's
I made the mistake of not using loctite. Was training and Eotech hit the deck. I learned my lesson. Blue loctite for most things and red for a few.

toddackerman
12-06-07, 14:52
EOTech in a LaRue Mount.

I prefer the lower 1/3 co witness as the FOV is not as cluttered. I also like to "Easily" remove any optic for cleaning, as I always blast some brake cleaner inside the upper to remove the gunk after scrubbing, and it has a tendency to go everywhere. LaRue is the only QD mount I have found that provides 100% repeatable zero, and I have learned this the hard way with too many$$$ spent on other QD mounts.

Renegade
12-06-07, 14:57
Direct on flat-top with drop of loctite.

GONIF
12-06-07, 18:12
right on the upper,just focus on the target and you get used to it real fast . if you want a good inexpensive mount the YHM eotech mount will raise it 1/4 inch and give you a lower 1/3 co witness , but if you try it on the rail first and keep both eyes open and focus on the target you will be fine and not need a riser .

rhino
12-06-07, 19:56
Perhaps relative neck length plays a role here. Aside from preferences of where you want the front sight to be or not be in the field of view through your scope, I think it's possible that some people prefer the riser or not based on neck length and how they can mount the gun.

variablebinary
12-06-07, 19:56
Standard thumb screw directly to rail. Works great, never loose.

Everyone is looking to reinvent the wheel, but Eotechs are good to go out the box

majg1234
12-06-07, 20:03
LaRue on all of 'em except the 553 like the lowe 1/3 cowitness thing

Yojimbo
12-07-07, 08:49
I mount mine directly on the upper reciever on the last couple of rail addresses. This location seems to give me the best balance and allows me to easily work the buttons with my support hand thumb. This also leaves enough room between the BUIS and EOTehc to mount a magnifier.

I also use blue Loc-Tite on my EOTech thumbscrew. I've found if you shoot enough rounds it will get loose sooner or later...

http://www.huntingpictures.net/data/560/95P3030014b.JPG

PaigeB
12-21-07, 16:41
I initially mounted my Eotech using a Larue mount. I liked the 1/3 co-witness and knowing my zero would not be lost if I took the mount from the rifle. However, I was later disappointed that my quick flip Eotech 3x magnifier would not line up correctly on the picatinny rail at the rear of the Larue mount. I should have bought an Aimpoint magnifier :( The fixed 34mm Eotech QD ring for the 3x Magnifier (9-BT-21913) would line up correctly on the rear of the Larue mount. But the 34mm ring is not adjustable, nor can it flip out of the way.

After much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth, I returned the fixed 34mm Eotech mount and removed the Larue mount. I'm not going to part with the Larue mount. Eventually they will come up with something, they are such a great company! I'm just going to have to live with the co-witness issue for now and mount the Eotech parts directly to the rail.:rolleyes:

cgdonley
12-21-07, 21:48
I went with the YHM riser mount for the EOtech since they redesigned it. It has never comer loose, but I did use blue loctite on the threads, and 1/3 co-witness on my 552 with the La Rue fixed BUIS.

Azrael2004
12-21-07, 22:15
Mine is on the rail now, I can ignore the rear sight but I find the front sight a bit distracting. New YHM mount is on the way for me.

doorkicker
12-23-07, 12:59
I was later disappointed that my quick flip Eotech 3x magnifier would not line up correctly on the picatinny rail at the rear of the Larue mount. I should have bought an Aimpoint magnifier :( The fixed 34mm Eotech QD ring for the 3x Magnifier (9-BT-21913) would line up correctly on the rear of the Larue mount. But the 34mm ring is not adjustable, nor can it flip out of the way.
I was wondering about this issue myself.

I use a LaRue riser.

mfingar
12-31-07, 08:55
LaRue mount, of course.

Lower 1/3 is the way to. The optics stay out of your FOV, and you can use them in a snap if needed.

jmart
12-31-07, 09:17
On a YHM riser. I also run a LaRue BUIS.

I thought when it was mounted directly to the rail, it wasn't too bad, but now I really prefer the lower third cowitness.

Azrael2004
12-31-07, 09:48
Got my YHM riser installed and used it in a match yesterday. I really like it better with the lower 1/3 co-witness!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b246/Azrael2004/LMT/985d6462.jpg