PDA

View Full Version : How do you come back from mistakes?

thopkins22
12-10-11, 18:48
Today I DQ'd shooting 3-gun on the last stage of the day. I was having a great day and was on my way to a good finish, and pushed a little too hard and decided to shoot over the hood of the van/prop instead of running around it and what do you know...put a round through the wiper resulting in my DQ. I checked to see if my muzzle would be over the hood, but apparently got a little more aggressive/lower when I actually started shooting.

I'm not really interested in hearing about offset etc...I understand what I did wrong. But rather, how do you come back next time mentally ready to push yourself without becoming hesitant after making a mistake? Doesn't have to be a DQ style mistake either, I'm interested in any lessons learned from match blowing whoopsies.

WEC
12-10-11, 18:55
The way I see it, your mistake wasn't one of fundamentals as much as pushing the limit of your balance of speed and accuracy.

Maybe the next time, throttle it back a little bit until you're mistake free and then once you have a few good runs, throttle it back up again. It's okay to take a step back sometimes as long as you take two steps forward from it.

It's something that isn't limited to the realm of competitive shooting - I think this sort of thing happens in every day life.

thopkins22
12-10-11, 19:04
Maybe the next time, throttle it back a little bit until you're mistake free and then once you have a few good runs, throttle it back up again. It's okay to take a step back sometimes as long as you take two steps forward from it.

You didn't happen to be there did you? Just curious as I think I remember you posting that you shoot at Impact.

Either way, thanks for the advice.

Safetyhit
12-10-11, 19:07
You overcome it like you would any other mistake in life. Do your best to understand what you did wrong and why you did it wrong, then simply don't do it again. This applies to competitive shooting as well as anything.

Dwelling on it negatively will only have an adverse effect.

WEC
12-10-11, 20:01
You didn't happen to be there did you? Just curious as I think I remember you posting that you shoot at Impact.

Either way, thanks for the advice.

Although your description of your actions was vivid enough that I felt like I was there, I was not present at the event, haha. I do shoot at Impact but I have yet to participate in the 3 gun stuff. Looks like fun, though.

You're welcome for the advice. As Safetyhit said, try to push negativity out of your mind. Focus on the positive and rock on.

ICANHITHIMMAN
12-10-11, 20:41
Accept it and drive on.

gringop
12-11-11, 14:51
Volunteer to use your own vehicle as the prop next time.

Gringop

dee loo
12-11-11, 17:18
This is the advice I got from a master shooter: right after the stage is done, visualize yourself doing the action perfectly, then move on and don't dwell on it.

FWIW, I got DQ'ed in my first sanctioned match. My squad teammates gave me good advice in sticking around pasting and hanging around instead of driving home early and dwelling on it. Helped alot. No frustration driving home and at the next club match I won my class for the first time.

esskay
12-20-11, 22:02
Would just add that local matches are the place to really push yourself... Then you can dial back as appropriate for the big matches with prize tables at stake!! :D

glocktogo
12-21-11, 02:50
This is the advice I got from a master shooter: right after the stage is done, visualize yourself doing the action perfectly, then move on and don't dwell on it.

FWIW, I got DQ'ed in my first sanctioned match. My squad teammates gave me good advice in sticking around pasting and hanging around instead of driving home early and dwelling on it. Helped alot. No frustration driving home and at the next club match I won my class for the first time.

This. Just remember, you own your mistakes, but that doesn't mean they own you. Keep it in perspective and you'll do fine.

Rattlehead
12-21-11, 02:58
I'm interested in any lessons learned from match blowing whoopsies.

Learn from it and move on, if you didn't harm anyone then I'd say you did fine.

Remember: you are your worst critic.

Watrdawg
12-21-11, 15:33
This. Just remember, you own your mistakes, but that doesn't mean they own you. Keep it in perspective and you'll do fine.

Great advice!!

When I'm training with my labs and one of them makes a mistake I am able to give them a correction and they learn from their mistakes. This is especially helpfull when I am teaching a new concept. The reason being is that if they did everything right the first time they would never know what not to do. You now know what not to do the next time!

mark5pt56
12-22-11, 07:08
All great tips! Just to add like the daily decisions we make, think about choices and possible consequences and then you can tweak your game on the course or certain parts of that course.