PDA

View Full Version : Good Buffer/Action springs??

markm
12-04-07, 14:23
What are recommended replacement springs for Rifle and Carbine Buffers?

I'm Thinking of replacing a few and buying a few to have for spares.

C4IGrant
12-04-07, 14:27
What are recommended replacement springs for Rifle and Carbine Buffers?

I'm Thinking of replacing a few and buying a few to have for spares.

I don't know what is "recommended", but will tell you what I run.

I use either ISMI or Tactical Spring companies buffer springs (both are high grade CS and will not rust). I also tend to run either an H or H2 buffer in the majority of my weapons.

C4

markm
12-04-07, 14:59
I did see those Tactical Springs on your website. But I wanted to make sure I bought the right springs the first time.

Thanks!

MR.J
12-04-07, 16:00
Het Grant, i bought 5 of these from you and have about 7k to 8k on these springs.I think you said you replace yours once a year right? Or did you replace them on round count?Also i dont think they make the round wire springs any more correct?, they have the flat wire springs now.Also to Demigod,These spring's are worth it in price, this is the one spring(mag springs also) that you DONT want to go cheap on.Also if you shoot alot i recommed that you buy some ISMI mag springs from Grant as i have put many rounds through them and they still feel very strong.

onmilo
12-05-07, 10:46
I have had very good luck with ISMI springs.
I don't really think one needs a chrome silicone action spring as they are not subject to heat and springs are super easy to replace in the M16 type rifles.

Mil-spec springs are plenty good but it is difficult to know if mil-apec is what you are getting when you buy them.

A reliable source I use is here, they carry real mil-spec springs along with ISMI and their own chrome silicone action springs. Good stuff.
http://www.brownells.com

MR.J
12-05-07, 11:02
I have had very good luck with ISMI springs.
I don't really think one needs a chrome silicone action spring as they are not subject to heat and springs are super easy to replace in the M16 type rifles.

Mil-spec springs are plenty good but it is difficult to know if mil-apec is what you are getting when you buy them.

A reliable source I use is here, they carry real mil-spec springs along with ISMI and their own chrome silicone action springs. Good stuff.
http://www.brownells.com

In a 20'in rifle i dont think you need a CS buffer spring,in a carbine gas system i think you do need a CS buffer spring over a SS spring.You do know that SS springs lose i think its 70 or 80% of its life just siting compressed in a mag or in the buffer tube.

onmilo
12-05-07, 22:59
A spring doesn't sit in a buffer tube fully compressed unless someone left the rifle with the bolt locked back.
Once a spring takes the initial set it isn't going to compress any further.
Repeatative cyclic action and excessive heat, not compression, will cause a spring to fail.

A chrome silicone spring will allow many more repeatative cycles than a stainless spring.
Most people do not fire the number of rounds necessary to allow the advantage of chrome silicone action springs.

C4IGrant
12-06-07, 08:48
A spring doesn't sit in a buffer tube fully compressed unless someone left the rifle with the bolt locked back.
Repeatative cyclic action and excessive heat, not compression, will cause a spring to fail.

A chrome silicone spring will allow many more repeatative cycles than a stainless spring.
Most people do not fire the number of rounds necessary to allow the advantage of chrome silicone action springs.

CS springs take a set one time and never again. SS springs take a set continually. SS springs will lose their strength (slowly) just sitting in a weapon uncompressed.

C4

onmilo
12-06-07, 09:36
I, uh, I have not heard that before but it explains why I prefer chrome silicone magazine springs to stainless steel.

MR.J
12-06-07, 09:38

Yes, i meant UNcompressed not compressed,sorry.:D

MR.J
12-06-07, 09:45
I, uh, I have not heard that before but it explains why I prefer chrome silicone magazine springs to stainless steel.
Also ,there are differnt quailty types of cs springs.The one's that ISMI make are high quailty, the cs springs you get from C-Products in their mags are cheap quality that is why you see rust problems with the C-products cs springs.You wont have these problems(rust) with ISMI cs springs.

C4IGrant
12-06-07, 09:50
Also too there are differnt quailty types of cs springs.The one's that ISMI make are high quailty, the cs springs you get from C-Products in their mags are cheap quality that is why you see rust problems with the C-products cs springs.You wont have these problems(rust) with ISMI cs springs.

You are correct. Not all CS is created equal. The CS springs that companies like ISMI and Tactical Spring Co use are much closer to SS in their rust preventative properties than your basic steel.

C4

Trim2L
12-06-07, 10:06
Anyone know what Wolff makes their XP recoil springs out of?

Robb Jensen
12-06-07, 10:09
Anyone know what Wolff makes their XP recoil springs out of?

I'm pretty sure there still music wire.

Trim2L
12-06-07, 10:22
I'm pretty sure there still music wire.

How do they compare to CS?

Robb Jensen
12-06-07, 10:38
How do they compare to CS?

CS lasts longer.

jdp710
12-06-07, 14:57
Will the ISMI or Tactical Spring Co buffer springs take the sprong sound out or reduce it when you shoot?

Thanks,
James

Shihan
12-06-07, 15:15
Will the ISMI or Tactical Spring Co buffer springs take the sprong sound out or reduce it when you shoot?

Thanks,
James

LOL no.

markm
12-07-07, 07:41
LOL no.

You handled that much more diplomatically than I could have! ;)

Dave L.
12-07-07, 08:44
I have a ISMI CS spring and H2 buffer- great combo, haven't had a problem yet.

I have heard music wire recoil springs are very weak when it comes to temperature changes and hard use.

I'm pretty sure ISMI springs are stress relieved...which helps them last much longer than standard. Grant's website says he is out of ISMI springs right now...but maybe he just hasn't updated the site yet:confused:

Aubrey
12-07-07, 11:49
... SS springs take a set continually. SS springs will lose their strength (slowly) just sitting in a weapon uncompressed.

C4

Grant,
Upon what do you base this? Do you have any data? Any credible sources?

C4IGrant
12-07-07, 12:01
Grant,
Upon what do you base this? Do you have any data? Any credible sources?

Yes, several companies that I do business with have all discussed spring wear with me at exhausting lengths.

They have actually given me the shrink rate off a SS spring per year, but I data dumped it from my brain.

C4

Aubrey
12-07-07, 17:38
Yes, several companies that I do business with have all discussed spring wear with me at exhausting lengths.

They have actually given me the shrink rate off a SS spring per year, but I data dumped it from my brain.

C4

I can get my perhaps-narrow mind around around spring fatigue due to dynamic/thermal cycling, corrosion, etc..., but I'm having a hard time understanding what causes a spring to "shrink". Perhaps you could have your sources enlighten us (?).

C4IGrant
12-07-07, 18:34
I can get my perhaps-narrow mind around around spring fatigue due to dynamic/thermal cycling, corrosion, etc..., but I'm having a hard time understanding what causes a spring to "shrink". Perhaps you could have your sources enlighten us (?).

Sure thing, I will send them this link.

I personally would't worry about SS springs shrinking before their end of life comes though.

The issue that I have with SS springs is that they create a PM requirement for me. CS springs do not. It is that simple.

C4