PDA

View Full Version : Snow goose tips?

yellowfin
12-10-11, 21:25
Does anyone here hunt snow geese? I've been looking at the various things to enjoy and look forward to for the next few months and it came up that there's a rather generous season for them here. I LOVE waterfowl hunting but it's been a while for me and I might be helping a good friend and his sons go for the first time. I'm reading all I can get my hands on while being insanely busy with work for the next couple months. What are some not so obvious things I can do to do well with this?

Here's what I know:
1. large steel shot
2. lots of decoys, like a hundred or more, mainly rags b/c I need so many and they flap in the wind hence more realistic
3. I can use electronic calling here, which is nice b/c that's one less skill to drive my wife insane while practicing.
4. Be covered in a VERY good blind.

ST911
12-10-11, 22:08
I don't enjoy hunting them, but I like eating them. Just watch out for that steel shot. It's murder on the dental work.

KevinC
12-11-11, 08:47
Sounds like your doing the right thing first...researching. I would suggest going out and getting a few instructional DVD's and watching them with your hunting partners. That way you will all be on the same page instead of trying to learn each other in the freezing cold.

IMO geese are the second smartest bird to hunt, right behind turkey.

Good luck

KevinC

03humpalot
01-17-12, 08:52
I havent had the opportunity to hunt them in several years other than blasting 1 or two here and there while duck hunting. Used to hunt the hell out of them when i was a kid.

You are on the right track.

Cheap decoys, we used cut up sheets/plastic garbage bags/goose shaped profile decoys we cut out of bleach and 1 gallon milk jugs we then painted.

Not sure if mojo makes a goose decoy or not but that may be looking into if legal in your area. The electronic calls are awesome.

What kind of terrain will you be hunting in? Wadered up in reeds/laying on the ground with a cover blind etc?

Im working in western PA at the moment and they have a late season coming up i may try to jump on as well.

matemike
01-17-12, 09:14
GoreTex, waterproof clothing is a must. an extra plastic tarp or blanket under you if you're in a wet field helps a lot as well.

A friend of mine and his father kill thousands of geese every year. They literally hunt three or four days a week all season long and depending on how many people are there, they kill between 60 and 100 birds per hunt. I have no idea what they do with that much meat. It's all done around Palacious TX.

Their biggest secret is real mounted birds. They had 40 geese mounted on 2X10's one year in eating, walking, cleaning and sleeping positions, and that upped their game the most out of anything else.

Z71Silverado09
03-06-12, 06:52
ive seen people using white trash bags tied to sticks.....