PDA

View Full Version : SCAR 17 magazines

Eurodriver
12-10-11, 21:42
Just what the hell is going on?

There is a magazine for sale on gunbroker at $115 right now.

This is absolutely ridiculous. I am cool with FNH e-store's pricing but the estimated ship date has gone from October to November and now late January 2012.

I am contemplating selling the SCAR and buying a .308 AR type that takes PMAGs if mags don't come out within 6 months. I love love love the SCAR but I cannot justify having a weapon with only one magazine. What has it been now? Over a year since these have been released? And I don't want to hear that .mil guys are getting all the mags either, that might have applied in 2010. But thats a bunch of crap now that we're almost in 2012.

montanadave
12-10-11, 22:02
I've had a dozen SCAR-H mags on back order from Midway since August 1. Still no word on when they plan to ship 'em. Ridiculous.

CoryCop25
12-10-11, 22:04
When I spoke to FNH they told me by October 2011. I guess they are a bit late.....

zacbol
12-10-11, 22:11
I'm surprised as I had thought the situation had improved. Best advice I can give is to keep a watchful eye on Gunbroker, fnforum.net, and other assorted places on the net. They seem to pop up from time to time at reasonable prices, though there are also those who try to take advantage of the situation. I snagged about 12 back in June for a tad over list (about $42/piece I think) that way.

The alternative is to try what a guy by the username of 'wagnasty' did over on fnforum and either dremel PMAGs until they fit or dremel the magwell. I got my mags so I've shied away from that, but it might be worth a shot (I don't think I'd dremel the lower, even if it's a cheap polymer one):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUr5OIV3s1Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJniNs4ZkHk

Eurodriver
12-10-11, 22:17
I'm surprised as I had thought the situation had improved. Best advice I can give is to keep a watchful eye on Gunbroker, fnforum.net, and other assorted places on the net. They seem to pop up from time to time at reasonable prices, though there are also those who try to take advantage of the situation. I snagged about 12 back in June for a tad over list (about $42/piece I think) that way.

What is your definition of "improved"? I offered a guy $150 for two mags on fnforum and he declined. He was looking at no less than $1,000 for his 8 magazines.

Gunbroker has one FN SCAR 17 magazine for sale right now. $115 with 2 days remaining.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=262922140

I didn't make this thread on a whim. I've been looking for a while. Nothing is popping up, the market is dry.

QuietShootr
12-10-11, 22:20
I wasn't going to say anything, but hold your horses, guys. I know someone who is doing FAL magazine conversions that look like they're going to work. I shot about 200 rounds yesterday through some converted new DSA 20s and 30s, and they all ran with no problems with South African ball and Russian Tula. The conversions are going to be in the neighborhood of $20 per mag, and volume is going to be pretty low...but it looks like it's doable now.

I have 10 coming to beta test. He's not going to sell them until he's convinced they are reliable, but damn if these didn't run like shit through a goose.

ETA: There's more to it than just cutting off the latch on the front and cutting a hole for the mag catch. Like the factory SCAR mags, these cannot be overinserted, unlike the other FAL conversions I've seen.

Eurodriver
12-10-11, 22:25
The conversions are going to be in the neighborhood of $20 per mag, and volume is going to be pretty low...

I predict he will bring these to market, become swamped with backorders within 20 minutes and refuse to take anymore orders until he's caught up.

If someone made a 100% functioning SCAR 17 magazine and could keep supply up with demand they could make an insane amount of money.

QuietShootr
12-10-11, 22:28
I predict he will bring these to market, become swamped with backorders within 20 minutes and refuse to take anymore orders until he's caught up.

If someone made a 100% functioning SCAR 17 magazine and could keep supply up with demand they could make an insane amount of money.

It's going to be low volume. Every one has to be hand made. He doesn't want to get into the magazine manufacturing business, this was just a master machinist/gunsmith trying to see if he could solve a problem.

QuietShootr
12-10-11, 22:34
Just what the hell is going on?

There is a magazine for sale on gunbroker at $115 right now.

This is absolutely ridiculous. I am cool with FNH e-store's pricing but the estimated ship date has gone from October to November and now late January 2012.

I am contemplating selling the SCAR and buying a .308 AR type that takes PMAGs if mags don't come out within 6 months. I love love love the SCAR but I cannot justify having a weapon with only one magazine. What has it been now? Over a year since these have been released? And I don't want to hear that .mil guys are getting all the mags either, that might have applied in 2010. But thats a bunch of crap now that we're almost in 2012.

I agree, though. What I really wonder about is WHERE the **** the magazines are going - because there's a vault full of 17s at Crane that have ONE magazine apiece and they can't get any more.

Mauser KAR98K
12-10-11, 22:45
Dear Magpul,

Here is a hint.

Ferris2son
12-10-11, 23:17
Word is the stripped lowers will be available soon. We'll see a bunch of modified lowers to accept Pmags.

VooDoo6Actual
12-10-11, 23:26
Interesting to hear this.
I found them on Gunbroker w/o the drama for $55-$59 a mag. Bought 4 last week.

Iraqgunz
12-11-11, 00:32
It is my understanding they can't due to dimensional limitations.

Dear Magpul,

Here is a hint.

Iraqgunz
12-11-11, 00:41
1. http://www.gunsamerica.com/917300044/Non-Guns/Magazines-Clips/Rifle-Magazines/AR-15-Type/20_rd_mag_for_FN_Scar_17.htm

I guess you are going to have to realize that they are available but they aren't cheap. My guess is that most production is going to the military. I'd love to hear from one of our FN Reps as to the situation.

YVK
12-11-11, 01:05
I've had a dozen SCAR-H mags on back order from Midway since August 1. Still no word on when they plan to ship 'em. Ridiculous.

April.

Eurodriver
12-11-11, 05:15
Interesting to hear this.
I found them on Gunbroker w/o the drama for $55-$59 a mag. Bought 4 last week.

In no way am I calling you a liar but I have looked at Gunbroker at least 3 times a week since October and I haven't found magazines that cheap.

I have bid on 3 separate auctions selling one magazine each. Each bid of mine was in the $70+ range and I was promptly outbid.

Maybe I am not searching correctly. I usually search for "SCAR 17" and sort price lowest to highest and look for any magazines for sale.

ryr8828
12-11-11, 06:22
I bought 4 off of the owner of the fn forum, cerakoted in fde and $84 each.
I don't feel very thrifty about it but I couldn't find any anywhere else. I've looked every where.

I wonder how many commercial scar 17's have been sold in the US?

Abraxas
12-11-11, 07:15

July 1, so ha, I have been sad longer:p;)

Abraxas
12-11-11, 07:18

Since the lower for the SCAR 17 is not serialized they need to make a whole different lower, just a thought. Yes I know I am pipe dreaming

Eurodriver
12-11-11, 07:54
I bought 4 off of the owner of the fn forum, cerakoted in fde and $84 each.
I don't feel very thrifty about it but I couldn't find any anywhere else. I've looked every where.

I wonder how many commercial scar 17's have been sold in the US?

I wonder if it would be possible to buy several SCAR 17s at dealer pricing, and then re-sell them without the magazines, again, at dealer pricing. (What is that? $2300ish?)

Shabazz
12-11-11, 08:30

That is between annoying and unforgivable.

ryr8828
12-11-11, 09:05
Since the lower for the SCAR 17 is not serialized they need to make a whole different lower, just a thought. Yes I know I am pipe dreaming

Supposedly Quentin Defense is working on a billet lower for the scar 17 that will accept pmags/sr25 pattern mags.
A manuf. in Chicago has modified a scar lower to accept pmags for a guy in NY and the guy posts it works great. It won't accept scar mags now though.

I don't want to weight down my scar with a billet lower, and I don't want someone dremeling on my scar lower. I wouldn't mind buying another scar lower and having it done, then I'd also want to buy the internals and keep my current lower intact since I have 5 scar 17 mags.

I've read about and watched the youtube vids of the guy modifying pmags to work in the scar and I may try that.

Spiffums
12-11-11, 09:48
The guy on gunbroker sounds like one of those guys with a truck load of Korean glock mags and the $5 to $7 GI mags that are planning to sell them for $100 each when the next ban comes around.

Have you tried gun shows? I was having a horrible time finding FAL mags online and got a ton of them at a show for $10 each.

ryr8828
12-11-11, 09:54
I had an fnar for a time and I saw this same thing happen with fnar mags. I saw an fnar mag sell for $200 on gunbroker.

FN eventually got caught up with fnar mags. Since the fnar isn't a military weapon I don't know if the same thing will happen with scar17 mags but I hope it does.

Ferris2son
12-11-11, 21:10
July 1, so ha, I have been sad longer:p;)

Feb 22 from Midway. Do I get a trophy for the longest wait?:fie:

montanadave
12-11-11, 21:16
This thread prompted me to pull up my email order confirmation from Midway and fire off a inquiry to Midway's customer service. They responded this morning with an anticipated stock date of Jan. 18, subject to change of course. :suicide2:

armakraut
12-11-11, 21:41
SCAR-17S needs a pmag compatible lower.

mstennes
12-13-11, 19:05
This thread prompted me to pull up my email order confirmation from Midway and fire off a inquiry to Midway's customer service. They responded this morning with an anticipated stock date of Jan. 18, subject to change of course. :suicide2:

Funny, I finely got my FN 45 mags from Midway, when I called them to let them know I still wanted them, I asked about SCAR mags and the lady told me mid to late January, mine have been ordered from Midway since May:fie:. Glad I bought mags before I bought my 17, I lucked out and found 15 at a gun store.

JPB
12-14-11, 15:15
Go to YouTube and search SCAR17 & Pmags. -see the tutorial on how to convert PMAGS to work in the SCAR17 lower. It doesnt seem that hard. Mags get sanded down & holes drilled bigger.
(i have afew extra mags, for the right price I can let 'em go)

Do you have concerns about the structural impact these mods have on the Pmag?

ryr8828
12-14-11, 15:45
I do. If I do this they will be for range use only.

CageFighter
12-14-11, 16:45

Cant be that bad. Seems that your ONLY grinding down the plastic to make it flat & removing the bumps. The expanding of the holes wont do much.
If your in a pickle for mags, this is a good choice. I would use them for range use, maybe not combat. (where do u guys mostly shoot anyway?) But if thats all thats avail, then I'll use whatever I can.
I am fortunate enuff to stockpile the 17 mags. I didnt realize the prices became sooooo outragous & availability is nill.
I am one of the few who has 10 round mags too, tho sending one back to FNH tomorrow bc it wont chamber a round. Lucky me!

BaronFitz
12-15-11, 22:40
Backordered since May as well...I did manage to score two off Gunbroker a while back for ~$50 apiece.

If somebody made a lower that took PMAGs, they'd be sitting on a gold mine. Of course, I'd be conflicted as to which lower to put my Super SCAR trigger in. :D

Of course, if FN just made another plant to solely produce mags, they'd probably make a measurable dent in the unemployment rate.

Travis B
12-15-11, 22:48
Isn't this where some new guy joins the forum just to post that he has a few that he'll sell for $80 each?

I really would love to be able to use the FAL mags I have. Oh well, better stop eating out.

BaronFitz
12-16-11, 06:55
Actually, someone is selling them for $80 each on the EE, but his post count indicates he's been around a while. A little rich for my blood considering that I have other long guns to choose from.

CageFighter
12-16-11, 07:26
Actually, someone is selling them for $80 each on the EE

I can see if they were NEW mags, but they're USED.
Id recc buy all of them and working out a deal on a cheaper price.
I cant believe the price increases on these mags.

With all the 0-80% lowers for ARs out, why hasnt anyone jumped on making lowers for the SCAR to fit PMags, etc?? I'd recc Billet Aluminum instead of plastic. -just sayin.

Glock_Holiday
12-16-11, 13:22
Supposedly Quentin Defense is working on a billet lower for the scar 17 that will accept pmags/sr25 pattern mags.
A manuf. in Chicago has modified a scar lower to accept pmags for a guy in NY and the guy posts it works great. It won't accept scar mags now though.

I don't want to weight down my scar with a billet lower, and I don't want someone dremeling on my scar lower. I wouldn't mind buying another scar lower and having it done, then I'd also want to buy the internals and keep my current lower intact since I have 5 scar 17 mags.

I've read about and watched the youtube vids of the guy modifying pmags to work in the scar and I may try that.

Quentin Defense is doing some engineering work on this for another company. At this time QD is doing R&D on this and the final product will be brought to market by the company backing the project.

J

Abraxas
12-16-11, 13:52
Quentin Defense is doing some engineering work on this for another company. At this time QD is doing R&D on this and the final product will be brought to market by the company backing the project.

J

Any idea on the ETA?

Eurodriver
12-16-11, 18:15
Actually, someone is selling them for $80 each on the EE, but his post count indicates he's been around a while. A little rich for my blood considering that I have other long guns to choose from.

Ak44 is good to go. $80 each is not exactly awesome though.

Ak44
12-16-11, 19:44
Sorry for the cost everyone...trying to make my money back on what I spent on these things plus fund my Christmas shopping for my loved ones.

armakraut
12-16-11, 19:50
The mag situation is squarely FN's fault, not yours.

CageFighter
12-18-11, 15:12
Sorry for the cost everyone...trying to make my money back on what I spent on these things plus fund my Christmas shopping for my loved ones.

Dont be sorry!
Its all about the capitalist system & supply/demand.
YOU have the supply & the demand is there.

Enjoy ur xmas!

Travis B
12-18-11, 21:10
Dont be sorry!
Its all about the capitalist system & supply/demand.
YOU have the supply & the demand is there.

Enjoy ur xmas!

If we want the price to go down we just stop buying them at inflated prices.

Or we beg FN to make some extra for us civvies.

BaronFitz
12-18-11, 21:41
It seems the prices have gotten even worse as of late...I'm seeing things on Gunbroker right now around $100/mag.

Eurodriver
12-18-11, 21:50
If we want the price to go down we just stop buying them at inflated prices.

Or we beg FN to make some extra for us civvies.

I don't know about you guys, but I am a college student on a GI Bill budget.

I can't afford to buy $100 magazines. It took me selling off six rifles just to buy the SCAR. Maybe that was a sign it was a little too rich for my blood. :suicide2:

Travis B
12-18-11, 21:55

I can't afford to buy $100 magazines. It took me selling off six rifles just to buy the SCAR. Maybe that was a sign it was a little too rich for my blood. :suicide2:

I'm a recent graduate currently unemployed (with an interview tomorrow, wish me luck!) so I can't be paying $100 for them either. It's the guys who don't care about the price who are keeping them up so high. Well that and the demand.

JPB
12-18-11, 22:00
They're worth what the market will bear. No way is an HK94 a $4K rifle, but that's what they are worth now.

BaronFitz
12-18-11, 22:06
I'm thinking it's time for some Occupy FNH action, and demand that they open a new plant somewhere just for MK17 mags. :D

We can make some pictures of various people holding up handwritten notes with messages like:

"I bought a $3K rifle with only one magazine. I've looked everywhere, and can't find mags at prices below my monthly grocery bill for one mag. My friends with PMAG compatible .308s send me mocking pictures of them laying provocatively in a pile of $20 plastic mags. Every time I go to the range, I have to swap out all my nice defensive ammo for practice ammo, and my thumbs hurt because nobody's gotten around to making a LULA for the 17 yet. I am the 99% of SCAR 17 owners."

2-BPM
12-18-11, 22:15
if someone gives me instructions to make a workable modified magazine, I swear I will make them all day long and sell them. Im dead serious. This issue is the sole reason I have not bought the rifle. The whole moded PMAG is news to me. I thought the FAL mags were the only possible way. Anybody have a solid tutorial?

Travis B
12-18-11, 22:18
if someone gives me instructions to make a workable modified magazine, I swear I will make them all day long and sell them. Im dead serious. This issue is the sole reason I have not bought the rifle. The whole moded PMAG is news to me. I thought the FAL mags were the only possible way. Anybody have a solid tutorial?

If someone takes some detailed measurements of a scar-h mag, I'll measure up some metric FAL mags and we can see where the difference lies. I know the front notch has to be removed and a hole cut in the side, but it looks feasible; even though LAV says it's impossible :lol:

Hawg_Leg
12-18-11, 22:56
I bought 6 of them when I got my SCAR about 2 months ago.

JPB
12-19-11, 00:16
If someone takes some detailed measurements of a scar-h mag, I'll measure up some metric FAL mags and we can see where the difference lies. I know the front notch has to be removed and a hole cut in the side, but it looks feasible; even though LAV says it's impossible :lol:

Comparing the two mags (FAL and SCAR) side by side, it appears that you would have to add material to the FAL mags feed lips to match the SCAR's feed lip profile. If it were a simple matter of material removal, I'd have a bunch of SCAR mags!

CageFighter
12-19-11, 08:12
again, go on youtube or fnforum.net and try to modify the pmags. its easier than FAL mags AND its proven that they work without f**kin up the SCAR lowers.

ryr8828
12-19-11, 20:13
I bought 5 fal mags for my RFB and I've tried 2 of them so far and they're junk. No way I'd spend any time trying to modify them for anything.

CageFighter
12-20-11, 06:59
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98JZBwSH-aU

Pmag mod video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ejWpjzQqkQ

now the results!

so, who's gonna try it?? just think, they're 30 round mags! :D

Eurodriver
12-20-11, 08:48
again, go on youtube or fnforum.net and try to modify the pmags. its easier than FAL mags AND its proven that they work without f**kin up the SCAR lowers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98JZBwSH-aU

Pmag mod video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ejWpjzQqkQ

now the results!

so, who's gonna try it?? just think, they're 30 round mags! :D

No. I bought a $2,500 weapon. I'm not taking a dremel to PMAGs or FAL mags in order to have functional magazines.

And if you read the description in the PMAG video, it even says that the mags get stuck in the unmodified magwell.

Alric
12-20-11, 09:54

Aren't you the guy that just bought like 5 suppressors in the last couple months? That doesn't sound like a broke college student :P

Eurodriver
12-20-11, 10:40
Aren't you the guy that just bought like 5 suppressors in the last couple months? That doesn't sound like a broke college student :P

Exactly.

Why spend $700 on some magazines when I can get a 762SD? :dance3:

I bought two of my suppressors in May when I was still on active duty, for what its worth.

BigNog
12-20-11, 20:11
Exactly.

Why spend $700 on some magazines when I can get a 762SD? :dance3:

I bought two of my suppressors in May when I was still on active duty, for what its worth.

Don't feel guilty, I'm a broke as hell grad student and I bought 2 scars and a bunch of crap for them over the last few months. Not my smartest decisions but I know I'd do the same thing again if I could go back in time.

VooDoo6Actual
12-21-11, 23:35
SCAR 17S Mags going on GB for $255.00 EA. & still bidding.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=265845671

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=265844909

I paid $55.00 EA three weeks ago...

CRAZY.....

Eurodriver
12-22-11, 05:50

CRAZY.....

Thats what I'm saying, I didn't make this thread because I'm an impatient little girl.

Its getting out of control with these things!

Luckily, M4C takes care of its own and I will have a lovely picture of my SCAR 17 with some extra magazines soon. :)

Travis B
12-22-11, 14:28
I wish I knew who was bidding at that price so we could point and laugh. Maybe it's a friend of the owner inflating the price?

CRAZY.....

gamewarden
12-22-11, 14:45
Had two 17 mags come in to my local guns shop yesterday. One was spoken for but got the other for $39. My shop does really good work and are constantly on the phone with distributors and such to locate product for customers!:cool:

Travis B
12-22-11, 15:13
Had two 17 mags come in to my local guns shop yesterday. One was spoken for but got the other for $39. My shop does really good work and are constantly on the phone with distributors and such to locate product for customers!:cool:

You should sell it on GB :lol:

CageFighter
12-22-11, 18:56
these prices are INSANE!

im thinking about it, I have (9) mags!
just think, if I sold them all, i can get a SCAR16!

JPB
12-22-11, 19:54
these prices are INSANE!

im thinking about it, I have (9) mags!
just think, if I sold them all, i can get a SCAR16!

Man that is a tempting propositon! Especially if you've got other 7.62s to fall back on. Eventually, supply will catch up to demand on the 17s mags.

I'm thinking about selling the one that I have that came with the rifle.

zacbol
12-22-11, 20:00
Hmm, I'd feel weird/guilty selling my magazines at $250/piece, though I guess it's simply the laws of supply and demand. That said, just because you *can* do a thing, doesn't mean you should do that thing. To each his own.

Eurodriver
12-22-11, 20:05
Hmm, I'd feel weird/guilty selling my magazines at $250/piece, though I guess it's simply the laws of supply and demand. That said, just because you *can* do a thing, doesn't mean you should do that thing. To each his own.

And that is what makes you a good person.

Just like you won't see my new mags for sale on GB either.

(and...partly because they are so damn rare that $500 in the bank isn't as valuable to me as having more than one magazine :D)

Suwannee Tim
12-22-11, 21:39
I bought ten of them for $36 each from Midway. I'm going to call Vanguard and see if they have a magazine sector fund.

BigNog
12-22-11, 21:49
I just found 12 for sale locally this evening posted on a local forum this morning, I plan to head over to the shop in the morning and hopefully there will be some left. I had a 17 way back when they were released and I had accumulated 30 mags with it, but I sold the whole package to a local gal. Wish I had kept a few now.

CageFighter
12-23-11, 16:59
I just found 12 for sale locally this evening posted on a local forum this morning, I plan to head over to the shop in the morning and hopefully there will be some left. I had a 17 way back when they were released and I had accumulated 30 mags with it, but I sold the whole package to a local gal. Wish I had kept a few now.

I wouldnt mind taking ONE or TWO, if ur interested in selling.

ryr8828
12-23-11, 17:34
I bought ten of them for $36 each from Midway. I'm going to call Vanguard and see if they have a magazine sector fund.

When did you do this?

phm14
12-30-11, 14:00
I was about to pull the trigger on a SCAR 17s after a conversation I had with a retiring US sniper today. I was hoping that the mags weren't proprietary like my FNAR, but that's still not a deal killer. Now that I see the SCAR mag situation, I think I'll wait til mags are available before I spend any money on the rifle. C'mon FN, get it together.

cetane
12-30-11, 22:53
LMAO

You guys will really wait for mags for your rifle? I had Sarge mod my mag well by .1" to accept my Pre ban SR-25 mags. The current cheap $14 Pmags that are every where are the same and work great. All you have to do is buy an extra lower and your safe. http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx217/cetane/0cf77e8c.jpg

IZinterrogator
01-02-12, 21:25
Sometimes I see those GB auctions and I wonder if I really need 11 mags or if I can get by with 8. Especially since I have 5 or 6 still in the boxes they came in.

mstennes
01-02-12, 21:29
Sometimes I see those GB auctions and I wonder if I really need 11 mags or if I can get by with 8. Especially since I have 5 or 6 still in the boxes they came in.

This, but I did bid on one for45.00, but it went over 100.00 in nothing flat.

BigNog
01-02-12, 22:04
I canvassed literally every local shop over the past 2 weeks, don't know how but I now ended up with a stash of 30 ;D all done for this one until the SSR gets released! Only problem is I have to paint 6 black ones FDE :-/ Highest price I paid was $50 and lowest was $38, but in all honesty I would still snag these over a pmag. I was never a fan of any 308 AR mags other than the KAC/Larue and those aren't exactly cheap.

Eurodriver
01-03-12, 14:57
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5096/scarleft.jpg

Good things come to those who wait (and have stand up righteous people on M4C!)

armakraut
01-03-12, 16:46
Who did you get them from?

BaronFitz
01-03-12, 17:49
Good things come to those who wait (and have stand up righteous people on M4C!)

That's just taunting the mag have-nots. Boo. ;)

I suppose in the meantime I'll just keep waiting on my Midway backorder from last May. I'll be interested to see if I can make it loop around to a full year. At least I scored two extra to tide me over on GB for $50 each, and I thought that was steep at the time.

Pale Horse
01-03-12, 21:18
I'm hoping and praying Lancer comes out with a 20 round L-5 AWF magazine for the FN SCAR-H (17S), guess I will just have to see what they come out with at SHOT.

Shot a friends SCAR-H for the first time Sunday, loved it, want one, would go great with my 16S, but the mag availability/cost is stopping me from dropping the hammer (pardon the pun).

BigNog
01-04-12, 05:52
That's just taunting the mag have-nots. Boo. ;)

I suppose in the meantime I'll just keep waiting on my Midway backorder from last May. I'll be interested to see if I can make it loop around to a full year. At least I scored two extra to tide me over on GB for $50 each, and I thought that was steep at the time.

I'll be hitting 1 year on midway on the 18th, no updates although they did ask me to update my credit card :jester:

drrufo
01-04-12, 14:32
And I thought 35$ for a 40 year old 20 round aluminum mag for my AR was outrageous

BaronFitz
01-04-12, 17:21
I think we need a sticky in this sub-forum called "Backorder wait times for SCAR-17 mags".

I ended up having to update my credit card info too. :cool:

IZinterrogator
01-04-12, 23:19
The going rate for the two magazine auctions that ended today on GB were $203 and $199. And the $199 was a buy it now purchase. :blink:

zacbol
01-05-12, 23:40
Got an email earlier today that this guy has FDE mags in stock (77 units as I post this). He's where I bought my SCAR mags, though they were a bit cheaper back when I got mine:
URL REMOVED

Bit on the high side ($80) but relative to the $200 folks seem to be paying on GB this isn't so terrible so figured I'd share.

zacbol
01-06-12, 22:51
Got an PM from another user (padkeemow) that the URL/site I linked to might be scamming folks with painted FAL mags. Here's the link on FN Forum about it:
http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-17s/24769-scar17-mags.html

Pretty pathetic, if true. I had figured they were legit as that's the guy I bought my SCAR mags from back in February. My apologies if anyone got duped here as a result.

Ratfink
01-12-12, 07:38
i dont even have my scar 17 yet and ive been getting mags at gun shows for 40 a peice ive got 9 of them

Travis B
01-12-12, 07:46
i dont even have my scar 17 yet and ive been getting mags at gun shows for 40 a peice ive got 9 of them

What part of Tennessee?

Eurodriver
01-12-12, 09:57

Why you're not selling them for $70 + shipping on fnforum.net or gunbroker is beyond me. They'd sell like hotcakes.

Easy way to make $300.

Dionysusigma
01-12-12, 14:18
If you don't have a SCAR 17, are you sure they're not FAL magazines? :blink:

K.O.A.M.
01-13-12, 09:43
At the prices they're getting, I'm half tempted to clear out my stash. I can't carry more than 5 or so, with another one in the rifle. With what people are paying, I could finance something nice with the ten or so I'd unload.

Ratfink
01-14-12, 08:54
Chattanooga and I'm keeping them cause I'm gonna buy a scar 17s

Travis B
01-14-12, 17:59
Picked up 2 tan ten rounders at the gun show today for $20 each. I saw about 6 20s but they were wanting at least $75 a piece.

Arkansas
01-14-12, 18:56
Picked up 2 tan ten rounders at the gun show today for $20 each. I saw about 6 20s but they were wanting at least $75 a piece.

I went to a gunshow today and they didn't have any... At this point, I think I would pop @ $75.00. Christ!

Kyohte
01-16-12, 01:08
Got an PM from another user (padkeemow) that the URL/site I linked to might be scamming folks with painted FAL mags. Here's the link on FN Forum about it:
http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-17s/24769-scar17-mags.html

Pretty pathetic, if true. I had figured they were legit as that's the guy I bought my SCAR mags from back in February. My apologies if anyone got duped here as a result.

Interesting.

I found this thread after I ordered some from the suspected seller. His auction on gunbroker does have a bunch of legit 17S magazines in the picture (at least they appear that way to me). The $80 price tag is unfortunate, but if they're real 17S magazines, that seems to be the going price right now.

I have met the owner of the website several times. I don't "know" him, but he seemed like an okay guy. They have yet to ship (since he is out at shot show). Has anyone here actually gotten the modified FAL magazine from him, if so, could you post pictures? I'll post pictures of what I get from him. I have plenty of FAL magazines to compare them to, so I'm sure I'll be able to tell the difference between a real magazine and a fake.

My SCAR 17 hasn't arrived yet, so I don't have any of those to compare them to, but from my understanding, there are some obvious differences between the two magazines that goes beyond the hole in the side.

So if anyone has pictures of a magazine from this seller, please post some pictures or send them to me via PM.

(I just posted the same thing on FNForum.net in the scam thread, just in case anyone is curious).

Edit: I didn't get the link from this site or fnforum.net but found him on gunbroker.

armakraut
01-16-12, 02:23
Considering the military is using Belgian made mags, it seems to be less of a problem of commercial mags being bought up quickly and more like FNH simply isn't ordering mags from D&H.

Kyohte
01-16-12, 03:23
Question then, from my knowledge, civilian SCAR rifles are Belgian made. Does adding a Belgian magazine make them non-922R compliant?

zacbol
01-16-12, 10:05
Interesting.

I found this thread after I ordered some from the suspected seller. His auction on gunbroker does have a bunch of legit 17S magazines in the picture (at least they appear that way to me). The $80 price tag is unfortunate, but if they're real 17S magazines, that seems to be the going price right now.

I have met the owner of the website several times. I don't "know" him, but he seemed like an okay guy. They have yet to ship (since he is out at shot show). Has anyone here actually gotten the modified FAL magazine from him, if so, could you post pictures? I'll post pictures of what I get from him. I have plenty of FAL magazines to compare them to, so I'm sure I'll be able to tell the difference between a real magazine and a fake.

My SCAR 17 hasn't arrived yet, so I don't have any of those to compare them to, but from my understanding, there are some obvious differences between the two magazines that goes beyond the hole in the side.

So if anyone has pictures of a magazine from this seller, please post some pictures or send them to me via PM.

(I just posted the same thing on FNForum.net in the scam thread, just in case anyone is curious).

Edit: I didn't get the link from this site or fnforum.net but found him on gunbroker.
As I mentioned in my PM, I ordered from him in February 2011 and all the magazines I got were legit:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=74420

It's very hard for me to believe he then turned to scamming folks. I honestly don't know one way or another which is why I removed the URL and reference to who he was; I don't want to accuse anyone of anything without proof. The fnforum thread was enough to make me suspicious though so I didn't want to take the chance on someone here getting ripped off.

Please let us know how things turn out.

armakraut
01-18-12, 02:37
I talked to FN at the show today, they are more than well aware of the mag situation and assured me that it will be dealt with by the end of Q2, which is good enough for me.

Travis B
01-18-12, 06:25
I talked to FN at the show today, they are more than well aware of the mag situation and assured me that it will be dealt with by the end of Q2, which is good enough for me.

Did you spot any Pmag-compatible lowers?

Abraxas
01-18-12, 06:46

I'll believe it when I see it.

QuietShootr
01-18-12, 08:04
Question then, from my knowledge, civilian SCAR rifles are Belgian made. Does adding a Belgian magazine make them non-922R compliant?

How about don't ****ing ask questions like that out loud. That's how we lost steel-core 7.62x39 and the ability to replace suppressors with new ones with an identical serial number.

Mods, can we get a cleanup on Aisle 2?

Abraxas
01-18-12, 08:24
How about don't ****ing ask questions like that out loud. That's how we lost steel-core 7.62x39 and the ability to replace suppressors with new ones with an identical serial number.

Shouldn't it be aisle 5 ;)

Eurodriver
01-18-12, 08:52

LMAO FUNNIEST POST EVER

montanadave
01-19-12, 08:42
Portion of email received from Midway 12/11/11:

"I apologize for the delay in shipping your order. Unfortunately, we have not yet received the FNH Magazine FN SCAR 17s 308 Winchester 20-Round Steel Flat Dark Earth you have on backorder at this time. This is expected in stock around the 18th of January."

I am SHOCKED that I did not receive a shipping confirmation yesterday! :no:

Eurodriver
01-19-12, 11:56
I've forgotten about the mags I ordered from the FNH E-store.

If they ever show up, I'll be pleasantly surprised. :D

jknopp44
01-19-12, 17:30
Hello all... somewhat off topic, but I just picked up a SCAR 16. I wanted something different. I plan on purchasing the 17 next.... My question is, what mags are you all running in the 16? Thanks in advance and sorry for the thread hijack.

JB

Travis B
01-19-12, 18:24
Hello all... somewhat off topic, but I just picked up a SCAR 16. I wanted something different. I plan on purchasing the 17 next.... My question is, what mags are you all running in the 16? Thanks in advance and sorry for the thread hijack.

JB

Wrong thread.

nswgroup
03-14-12, 12:50
Recently purchased some SCAR 17s mags from my local gun shop Florida Armory. They have a website for those that need some. Last I heard they had several in stock.

Travis B
03-14-12, 16:51
Are you associated with them financially?

Recently purchased some SCAR 17s mags from my local gun shop Florida Armory. They have a website for those that need some. Last I heard they had several in stock.

ryr8828
03-14-12, 16:57

$70 is a gouge, I can get ****ed like that all over the internet. I'll wait for a reasonable price.

nswgroup
03-14-12, 17:14
Are you associated with them financially?

Not sure what that means, but if you are asking if I work for them the answer is no. Also, if you buy 2 or more they end up costing 59.99. Just a note

BaronFitz
03-16-12, 09:06
FWIW, thanks for posting that lead. I picked up 2 of the 2 packs, which comes out to about $60/mag. The retailer has a 3% credit card fee, but they shipped same day I ordered (Wednesday, sitting in the airport on my phone browser), and got here this morning. They aren't in the FN wrappers, but are the real deal.

They're black, and my 17 is FDE, but at least I have enough mags now to run a class if I want while I wait for my Midway backorder from last May, and I didn't get bent over for the $80/mag they're asking on Gunbroker and most EE listings I've seen lately.

Now I'm waiting on the obligatory 7.62 magpuls to keep the baseplates on...

Littlelebowski
04-22-12, 21:21
My local shop has a few in. I have no business nor financial ties with them. Don't bitch to me about their prices or stock.

http://www.novaarmament.com/

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/6c8e66c6.jpg

QuietShootr
04-23-12, 08:09
My local shop has a few in. I have no business nor financial ties with them. Don't bitch to me about their prices or stock.

http://www.novaarmament.com/

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/6c8e66c6.jpg

Why not?? it's your ****ing fault, isn't it?

ETA: 3200 bones for a 17?? I see what you mean.

:D

snackgunner
04-25-12, 09:45
$40 at botachtactical

http://m.botachtactical.com/sc98fde17s20.html

JPB
04-25-12, 12:32
$40 at botachtactical

http://m.botachtactical.com/sc98fde17s20.html

I dont care if they're the last place on earth with mk17 mags, I'd sell my SCAR H before I'd give a dime to Botach. Despite what they may tell you, I'm betting they don't have any in stock...

tarugs
04-25-12, 21:46
I dont care if they're the last place on earth with mk17 mags, I'd sell my SCAR H before I'd give a dime to Botach. Despite what they may tell you, I'm betting they don't have any in stock...

+1 I've read a lot of bad customer experiences with them but still decided to order 10 PMAG 20LR 7.62mm for my SIG716 as they are the only online store to currently have them in stock after scouring the Internet. I was surprised to receive shipping notice the following day after I ordered, and have been tracking its arrival for 6 days now. Got home today and there was a box from BOTACH TACTICAL. I thought they are not that bad after all.

Lo and behold when I opened the box, instead of 10 PMAG 20LR 7.62mm they sent me 10 standard AR15 Pmags. I should have heeded the warnings I've read in different forums about this company. I haven't received any response to email I sent today and was trying to call but got their voicemail. Online chat also does not work. If I don't hear from them tomorrow, I will file dispute with CC company.

tarugs
04-25-12, 22:08
BTW, if you are in the North Dallas area, Bullet Trap in Plano has 4 D&H FDE mags in stock last Tuesday. $49 plus tax.

I've had my 17S for more than a year now and have so far managed to acquire 4 extra mags, all from this forum's marketplace for $50 or less. Placed order for 10 with Midway on April last year but they still have them backordered. Another 10 backordered from Brownells. $50 is the limit I've set for the mags that's why I'm not getting the 4 from Bullet Trap and my 17S is also black.

montanadave
04-28-12, 22:53
Chatter on the FN Forum indicates 17s FDE mags are popping up left and right. And prices are around $40 shipped. Maybe things are loosening up a tad.

snackgunner
04-28-12, 23:13
$29 at ombguns.com
https://shop.ombguns.com/p-1952-fnh-scar-1717s-20-round-magazine.aspx

BullittBoy
04-29-12, 08:31
I have mags on order/backorder all over the place (like everyone else) but I tried out Botach and ordered one and got it yesterday, 3 days shipped from Cali to Texas and I got what I ordered.

G-lock
04-29-12, 17:52
Got 2 from Botach, 79.90 shipped Cali to MI in 4 days.

OhMan
05-04-12, 09:51
I have some scar mags I can sell.

Brand new, earth brown.
62.00 each

OhMan
05-04-12, 09:53
I have mags on order/backorder all over the place (like everyone else) but I tried out Botach and ordered one and got it yesterday, 3 days shipped from Cali to Texas and I got what I ordered.

I can sell you some for 62.00 each.

Earth brown...

QuietShootr
05-04-12, 11:31
I bet you do.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

QuietShootr
05-04-12, 11:32
I finally got my mags I ordered from the FN Store back in September. Took a while, but I avoided buttrape from folks like our soon-to-be-gone FNG above.

ryr8828
05-04-12, 13:34
I got 5 magazines from OMBguns the other day, nice people to deal with. They shipped pretty quick. Now have a total of 12, if I knew how to cancel my Midway backorder for 5 I might but I guess you can't have too many mags since the 17 is my favorite .308.

OhMan
05-04-12, 13:51
I bet you do.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Hard to believe...I do.

Either buy one or not.

I can send you a picture if you would like.

Littlelebowski
05-04-12, 14:13
Hard to believe...I do.

Either buy one or not.

See ya.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

BaronFitz
05-04-12, 14:27
Hard to believe...I do.

Either buy one or not.

On the off chance that you don't know, what you're doing belongs on the Equipment Exchange, but you don't have a high enough post count to post there.

If you're actually interested in learning from the community here, edit all your spammy posts to say "please delete" and go sell your mags on Gunbroker. This way you might have a chance to avoid the ban hammer when a mod comes by, as the spamming has undoubtedly been reported by now.

OhMan
05-04-12, 14:42
On the off chance that you don't know, what you're doing belongs on the Equipment Exchange, but you don't have a high enough post count to post there.

If you're actually interested in learning from the community here, edit all your spammy posts to say "please delete" and go sell your mags on Gunbroker. This way you might have a chance to avoid the ban hammer when a mod comes by, as the spamming has undoubtedly been reported by now.

Thank you sir.