PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in Nevada

Robssrt-4
12-11-11, 02:05
Hello everyone, is there anyone who hunts in Nevada and know of some good spots to hunt at. Im in the churchill county area, and looking into hunting now. what is there to hunt here besides deer? Thanks guys for any advice.

J-Dub
12-11-11, 08:11
I dont live in Nevada.

BUT if i were you i'd checkout this website and get real familiar with it...
http://www.ndow.org/hunt/index.shtm

I've never been to nevada, but i like how their game/fish dept roll. Got the Chukar forecast right at the top. All kidding aside, there looks to be plenty of big game in the state if thats your quary of choice.

Robssrt-4
12-11-11, 08:37
I dont live in Nevada.

BUT if i were you i'd checkout this website and get real familiar with it...
http://www.ndow.org/hunt/index.shtm

I've never been to nevada, but i like how their game/fish dept roll. Got the Chukar forecast right at the top. All kidding aside, there looks to be plenty of big game in the state if thats your quary of choice.

Great info, i think im am going to get my license for deer and maybe mountain lion. I have yet to see either, ill just have to research where the hot spots are for both.

Now a general question for any hunters. other hunters i know (that are NON AR owners) say hunting with .223 is just overkill. I have never hunted before so i dont know if it is or not. For those who do hunt what do you think. and what are you hunting with?? is .22 better?

J-Dub
12-11-11, 13:06
Again check your state laws. .223 is illegal for big game in some states. (and i'm sure all rimfires are illegal for big game in every state)

A lot of people use .223 here in Texas, but our deer are much smaller than those out west and up north. I personally use a .243win right now.

I would suggest either getting a different upper for your AR, or just getting a cheap bolt gun for hunting, any caliber from .243 up will work (.243, 7-08, 308, 30-06, 270, 30-30, ect)

MookNW
12-11-11, 13:52
I used to live in Reno. A friend of mine is a hunting guide who takes groups out mainly in Northern NV. I'd be happy to get you in touch with him if you like. Just PM.

Robssrt-4
12-12-11, 03:56
I used to live in Reno. A friend of mine is a hunting guide who takes groups out mainly in Northern NV. I'd be happy to get you in touch with him if you like. Just PM.

That would be awesome since i would rather have a good guide to help me out and show me the rope first Thank ou very much for the help.

Robssrt-4
12-12-11, 03:57
Again check your state laws. .223 is illegal for big game in some states. (and i'm sure all rimfires are illegal for big game in every state)

A lot of people use .223 here in Texas, but our deer are much smaller than those out west and up north. I personally use a .243win right now.

I would suggest either getting a different upper for your AR, or just getting a cheap bolt gun for hunting, any caliber from .243 up will work (.243, 7-08, 308, 30-06, 270, 30-30, ect)

I may just go the route of a different upper for my AR. thank you for the advice.