PDA

View Full Version : Stag 3g in Left handed---

chavez_e_chavez
12-11-11, 08:31
Was thinking of purchasing the upper or the whole rifle......what are you thoughts on this rifle?? Im trying to find a dealer or website that sells the complete rifle...

the specs

18” stainless steel fluted heavy barrel with a rifle length gas system, 5.56 NATO chamber, and 1/8 twist rate.

Stag Arms 3G Comp

Samson 15” Evolution free-float modular handguard with three rail attachments included.

Geissele Super 3 Gun (S3G) trigger

Magpul ACS buttstock and MOE pistol grip

DeltaSierra
12-11-11, 09:16
I haven't seen a left handed shooter yet that needed to get a left handed AR (as a volunteer shooting instructor, I have dealt with quite a few lefties that were learning to shoot.)

You would be much better off just getting a rifle of known quality, in a right hand configuration, and learning to manipulate it properly, with the possible addition of a Battle Arms Development Ambidextrous Safety Selector.

duece71
12-11-11, 10:19
You may want to do some research before purchasing. A very well known and well respected instructor has made some comments on lefty AR setups. His reasons are good enough for me (AGAINST using a lefty setup) if I were a lefty and were looking for an AR.

chavez_e_chavez
12-11-11, 12:45
You may want to do some research before purchasing. A very well known and well respected instructor has made some comments on lefty AR setups. His reasons are good enough for me (AGAINST using a lefty setup) if I were a lefty and were looking for an AR.

links??? thanks

cop1211
12-11-11, 21:37
Been a lefty shooting ar's for 22 years. Forget the Stag, go with a higher quality weapon, add ambi controls, buy ammo, shoot.

duece71
12-12-11, 05:59
links??? thanks

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1156829

Now, in the video he does NOT specifically address Lefty ar setups, I'll have to dig for his comments on that.

Megalomaniac
12-12-11, 20:26
I've never seen a reason for a lefty AR like the Stag, being a Lefty shooter I find the AR to generally be a forgiving platform for small handed Lefties like myself. I've not had a chance to use a Stag L model, but when shooting regular ARs I find everything except the mag release to be fully workable with one hand, although working the safety requires breaking the firing grip, as I'll use my trigger finger to bump the bottom edge of the safety lever.

As far as I see and use ARs (recreational shooting only) I'd say your priorities in terms of ambi-controls are, Safety, Mag Catch, and lastly Charging Handle. The Stag-L models don't cover any of this, all they do is change which side the rifle ejects from, IIRC from the last time I looked at one in the gun shop, which is the absolute least important thing it can do for me.

I'd rather see a "slick" AR upper, with no Forward Assist, and a more hook shaped brass deflector to direct spent casings more forward, and have that marketed as a Lefty Upper.

Fuzzy-Reticle
12-12-11, 20:28
I am a left handed shooter who has never owned a left handed rifle. I have been shooting black rifles since the 80's and personally see no reason to own one. The ONLY left handed rifle I would consider buying is a Styer AUG with a LH bolt.

I have never had a empty casing hit me in the face using the AR platform. I have had plenty of .22 shells go down the back of my shirt. :eek:

If you ever try and sell a LH rifle you will loose your ass in the deal for sure.

Buy a BCM, Colt, or DD and don't look back.

I have owned a Stag in the past it was a decent range rifle/plinker but thats it.

ennbeegunny15
12-15-11, 08:33
I am a left handed shooter who has never owned a left handed rifle. I have been shooting black rifles since the 80's and personally see no reason to own one. The ONLY left handed rifle I would consider buying is a Styer AUG with a LH bolt.

I have never had a empty casing hit me in the face using the AR platform. I have had plenty of .22 shells go down the back of my shirt. :eek:

If you ever try and sell a LH rifle you will loose your ass in the deal for sure.

Buy a BCM, Colt, or DD and don't look back.

I have owned a Stag in the past it was a decent range rifle/plinker but thats it.

^ i concur. though you haven't lived until you have had a 9mm shell come back and land inside of your glasses. talk about feeling the burn.:shout:

jwfuhrman
12-15-11, 08:48
In all honesty, being a BCM fan, and only owning BCM, I'm really debating on picking up one of their 3G models for next year. Team Stag Arms has come out BIG TIME in the competitive world., placing very high while using their "lower quality" gun. It's a damn 3gun rifle, if it holds up to the high round count and the fact it gets really hot very often during a match, and probably has more rounds put thru it in a month ap than most put thru their guns in a year, I'd say for a competition gun, Stag got something right.

I just want one so I can keep my current 3gun(BCM 16in SS410) setup as a Recce type gun is all.