PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical Zero Question

TangoFoxtrot
12-11-11, 10:05
On a standard (Military A2) front sight post what is the mechanical zero setting ?...All the way down and up 11 clicks???? Damn I forgot.:shout:

jmart
12-11-11, 10:20
No idea. I thought the concept of mechanical zero applied to only the rear sight, and it is facilitated by a windage adjustable front sight base. Typically I only see these on competition guns. Set rear sight to center position, and adjust windage by moving the FSB right/left as needed by loosening & tightening opposing screws as needed, then snug all screws down when windage is adjusted to mechanical zero position.

Elevation is controlled by the front sight and you just adjust up/down as needed when rear elevation is set to proper range marker. I don't think mechanical zero applies for elevation but I could be mistaken.

The only problem I could see is if using a non-F marked FSB and you end up raising the front so high that the post wobbles and you see daylight under the post's base. For these situations, get a .004" taller front sight post from BM. They run ~ $5.

GTifosi
12-11-11, 10:52
On A1 round type pin on M16A1, its the top of the base of the front sight flush with the flat of the tower then in 11 clicks more in the 'up' direction. (screw it in)
A2 square pin on M16A2 and M4 is flush with the tower.

Sgt_Gold
12-11-11, 11:25
On A1 round type pin on M16A1, its the top of the base of the front sight flush with the flat of the tower then in 11 clicks more in the 'up' direction. (screw it in)

This is the current standard. If you want to save yourself some time, most M16's and M4's end up needing between 6 and 10 clicks of elevation on the front sight by the time they're zeroed.

TangoFoxtrot
12-11-11, 11:39

When you say tower, do you mean the side wings of the sight?

JEL458
12-11-11, 11:45
When you say tower, do you mean the side wings of the sight?

No he means the base that the post sits on should be flush with the base that the wings sit on. You should be able to run a bullet across the base of the post onto the FSB and not feel a snag.

GTifosi
12-11-11, 11:59
No he means the base that the post sits on should be flush with the base that the wings sit on. You should be able to run a bullet across the base of the post onto the FSB and not feel a snag.

Exactly.

TangoFoxtrot
12-11-11, 17:34

Exactly.

Thanks guys I got ya. I already set it for range day. Thanks for your patients, its suck to become old and dumb! I've only been retired 7 years..again Thank You!