PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson SD9

TangoFoxtrot
12-11-11, 10:09
Smith & Wesson SD9. Whats your opinions on this pistol if you own one.

Nephrology
12-11-11, 10:30
That they work is the best thing that I've heard about them.

Why do you want an SD9? What are you going to use this gun for?

TangoFoxtrot
12-11-11, 10:44
I already have one nep. I just want others opinion on it. I've fired about 600 rds through it without a hiccup. Once you get use to the trigger it is dead on. It will never replace any of my Glock 9's.

Sry0fcr
12-11-11, 10:53
I'm interested I started a thread a while back about reliable low cost pistols that I could point people towards instead of having them buy Taurus and the like.

Nephrology
12-11-11, 11:24
I already have one nep. I just want others opinion on it. I've fired about 600 rds through it without a hiccup. Once you get use to the trigger it is dead on. It will never replace any of my Glock 9's.

ah OK. Well from what I understand they run but I don't think they have been that extensively fielded.

C4IGrant
12-11-11, 20:15
They are a good entry level pistol. Apex Tactical has a spring kit available that dramatically improves the trigger.

C4

Dexter
12-11-11, 21:40
I don't have any experience with the SD9 but I thought it was just a Sigma that they changed a few things on?

frozentundra
12-12-11, 04:23
I have not been able to try one, but Randy Lee from Apex has had a couple interesting posts on a Smith Wesson forum about the SD.
If you are interested check it out.
It sounds like they are about to release a trigger for the SD in addition to the spring kit.
I don't think I should copy the posts on this site, but Randy's opinion is worth much to me.

xpd54
12-12-11, 10:40
I think this is the gun that Smith could have and should have submitted to the Federal Air Marshals...

This is from the SW forum thread. It's part of one of Randy's posts. I must admit I've always been intrigued by the SD9. I wouldn't mind trying one out one of these days with the Apex upgrades, just for shits and grins.

Sry0fcr
12-12-11, 10:48
Link?

xpd54
12-12-11, 10:59
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-sigma-sd-pistols/218864-apex-tactical-spring-kit-sd.html

Randy Lee
12-12-11, 13:17
Hi all,

I think the SD offers a reliable very functional self defense pistol for the budget minded. It is a very under-rated pistol. The gun has good ergos, the sight cuts are the same as the M&P's, so you have a variety of sight options.

The only issue as far as I can tell is the quality of the trigger pull. Out of the box it reminded me of the old Star Trek tracer disc guns that I used to play with as a kid. I am sure that the triggers smooth out with use, and others over on the S&W forum indicate the same. Our spring kit lightens the pull to a manageable 6 lb pull, but the trigger travel is still somewhat long and the over-travel caused the sights to shift alignment once the striker was released.

The new trigger we are making is identical in shape to our FSS aluminum trigger, but dimensioned to work with the SD. It removes the excess over-travel and limits some of the pre-travel. The result is something like a short travel DAO trigger.

While I prefer the M&P, the SD really isn't a bad gun for the price.

-Randy

Sry0fcr
12-12-11, 15:10
Great. I can add this to to my "Decent options cheaper than a Glock" list.

xpd54
12-12-11, 15:43
Thx Randy.