PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on low power magnification scopes

RyanS
08-20-06, 18:24
The wife and I are buying a car and we're not being gouged as bad I thought we would, so I'm thinking about finally getting a scope to supplement my Aimpoint for my AR. I still don't want to spend S&B or Nightforce dollars and I think that I've narrowed it down to at least two:

Leopold Mark 4 1.5-5x20mm MR/T M2

Trijicon AccuPoint 1.25-4x24

Of these two, which is a better scope for the money. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? Is there a scope aside from these that I should be considering in the price range, which I think is $650 for the Accupoint to $850 for the Leopold? Thanks.

MudBug
08-20-06, 19:00
I have an Accupoint - TR21R and it really is an amazing optic. I have become almost as fast on CQB stuff with it as I am with my Eotech. It works well on long distance stuff, but for me, precision shots were a bit difficult at first. I have gotten to a point where I can hit 8" steel and some times even those skinny little MGM auto poppers at 350 yards with it though, so I guess I am finally getting used to that large reticle.

I did recently get a good deal from Grant on a Demo Meopta Meostar 1-4x22 which I should get some time next week so I will be running some tests on the 2 of them to see which one I like better.

RyanS
08-22-06, 09:46
Mudbug,

Thanks for the input. What mount did you use? Looking at G&R, I see that they have packages with either the LT SPR or SPR-EER mounts. Which one is recommended?

C4IGrant
08-22-06, 10:28
Mudbug,

Thanks for the input. What mount did you use? Looking at G&R, I see that they have packages with either the LT SPR or SPR-EER mounts. Which one is recommended?

The TR21 series and the LT SPR mount is about one of the best setups for the money.

Since the TR21 has so much eye relief (almost 5 inches) it is a good idea to go with the SRP-EER.

Just as an FYI, Naval EOD runs the TR21 (orange triangle) and the LT SPR-EER.

C4

MudBug
08-22-06, 11:40
The TR21 series and the LT SPR mount is about one of the best setups for the money.

Since the TR21 has so much eye relief (almost 5 inches) it is a good idea to go with the SRP-EER.

Just as an FYI, Naval EOD runs the TR21 (orange triangle) and the LT SPR-EER.

C4

Yup, you NEED the SPR-EER, and even then it just barely makes it for me. I have the scope as absolutely far forward as I can get it.

http://www.goobage.com/pics/arms/recon4.jpg

RyanS,

BTW, I got the Meopta yesterday and I'll be comparing them both this weekend. So far the Meopta is an impressive optic. Clear glass, bright reticle that I can see easily here in the AZ sun, well built.

RyanS
08-22-06, 13:43
Thanks guys.

USMC03
08-22-06, 14:19
Ryan,

It really depends on what you are going to be using the scope for (as to which is better). Both the TR21R and the MR/T 1.5-5x have their strengths and weaknesses. Here is some info I wrote on another board (L.E. related discussion). Here are my experiences with both scopes:

3) Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4x with a red triangle. While I didn't care for this optic on 1.25 because it slowed me down too much for my liking in CQB situations (75% of what I do). I really liked this scope on 1.5x - 4x. On 1.25x the scope had too much eye relief (I'm a nose to charging handle shooter) and there was some distortion that I couldn't get use to at close distances.

The pros of this optic is the price is just over $500, and in a LaRue SPR-E mount it will only set you back around $700 total. It has no batteries, it works off both tritium and fiber optic (and unlike your compact ACOG, there is a sleeve that you can move over the fiber optic to control how much light gets to the reticle). It has a lit reticle that can be see in all lighting conditions and plenty of eye relief. And unlike the Aimpoint + magnifier, you don't have to worry about carrying around a second piece of gear to use when you need magnification, just turn the magnification ring for more or less magnification.

4) Leupold MR/T 1.5-5x20 M2 with lit SPR reticle in a LaRue SPR mount.

The SPR Reticle looks like this:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/opticsplanet_1912_35249892

And the scope in a LaRue SPR mount
http://www.coloradoshooting.org/usmc03%20gamer2.jpg

The down side to this optic is that the lit reticle is battery powered (battery powered optics has never been a problem for me, just don't know how they do in the extreem cold temps of Alaska) and is not strong enough to be seen on bright sunny days (this is big consideration for me as I live in a "high mountain desert" average temps from mid May through mid Sept are on average 95 to 110 degrees with over 300 days of sun shine a year)

That being said, the SPR reticle is very fast to pick up at close distances and very precise at longer distances. I have shot matches with this scope and was suprised at how well I did on CQB stages with the SPR reticle (unlit reticle because it was bright and shinny outside)

The scope has very generous eye relief, at 1.5x I'm still very fast, the sight picture is very crisp, the scope is fairly light weight, and the lit reticle can be seen on cloudy days, at dusk, dark, etc.

Boom
08-23-06, 19:31
Jeff whats the FOV at the 1.5 setting with the Leupold MR/T 1.5-5x20?

USMC03
08-23-06, 20:28
Jeff whats the FOV at the 1.5 setting with the Leupold MR/T 1.5-5x20?

65.7 @ 100 yards

Product Specifications

Actual Magnification: 1.5(1.5) 4.5(5)
Length (in): 9.3
Eyepiece Length (in): 3.1
Objective Length (in): N/A
Objective Diameter (in): 1.2
Eyepiece Diameter (in): 1.7
Tube Diameter: 30mm
Weight: 15.0 oz. / 425 grams
Eye Relief (in): 4.4(1.5) 3.6(5)
Eye Relief (mm): 112(1.5) 91(5)