PDA

View Full Version : Sig P228

jrmymiles
12-11-11, 18:59
I have had a love affair with the classic Sigs for quite some time. However the quality nosedive that has happened over the recent years has kept me from buying one. I have come across a slightly used German made P228 for around $500. Now on to my questions. Are the magazines for the 9mm P229 going to work in a P228? How about the P226? Are parts still available if I have any issues down the road? Any known issues that I should be aware of or look for? Thanks.

WargameHub
12-11-11, 19:01
I know the P226 mags work in the P229.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

KurtD
12-11-11, 19:14
I have had a love affair with the classic Sigs for quite some time. However the quality nosedive that has happened over the recent years has kept me from buying one. I have come across a slightly used German made P228 for around $500. Now on to my questions. Are the magazines for the 9mm P229 going to work in a P228? How about the P226? Are parts still available if I have any issues down the road? Any known issues that I should be aware of or look for? Thanks.

they should work

KhanRad
12-11-11, 19:23

The P226 and P229 9mm magazines work perfectly in the P228. $500 is a pretty good deal if it is an American import. If it is a used Swiss import then it is an "okay" deal.

I used P228s on duty for years. However, my agency is discontinuing the use of the 9mm and the P228, so I sold my last P228. You can still find many parts for the P228, and I don't think you'll have any problems with that for at least another decade. After that, I'm guessing the supply of parts will be much less common. The stamped slide and breach block are discontinued parts, so those will be a bear to get ahold of in the future. I would buy a second P228 to use as a parts gun.

jrmymiles
12-12-11, 08:48
Are Mec-gar mags GTG with the Sig. I know they make mags for them, but are the ones that dont say Sig on them the same quality as the factory ones?

KhanRad
12-12-11, 08:56
Are Mec-gar mags GTG with the Sig. I know they make mags for them, but are the ones that dont say Sig on them the same quality as the factory ones?

I'd say that MecGar magazines are superior to the new Checkmate magazines Sig has been using in the last few months. Sig Sauer used to make all their magazines in Germany until the early 2000s. They say "Made in Germany" on them. Then they had MecGar make their factory magazines and those say "Made in Italy" on them. The newer Checkmate magazines will either say "Made in USA" or nothing at all.

I feel that the Sig Factory magazines that were produced by MecGar are the best mags for the Sig. You can find them if you shop around a bit. For instance, I've found that the best source for finding old Sig parts is still on Sig Forums in their Classified section.

To your original question, the MecGar 15rd models work fine. However, they are not built to Sig factory specifications which is why they are cheaper. Not sure if it is a good thing or bad thing, but I just prefer to use factory spec equipment. Particularly magazines which are a very important element in a pistol's reliability.

PrivateCitizen
12-12-11, 10:31
My first carry was a W. German P228 (1993). Ran it for 7 years before retiring it. Outstanding … never should have parted with it.

The P226/P229 mags work just fine. At the time MecGar made a 15rd mag and I used them for daily carry. Don't ever recall a MecGar mag failure.

Congrats!

P Schütze
12-12-11, 18:10
The P226 and P229 9mm magazines work perfectly in the P228. $500 is a pretty good deal if it is an American import. If it is a used Swiss import then it is an "okay" deal.

I used P228s on duty for years. However, my agency is discontinuing the use of the 9mm and the P228, so I sold my last P228. You can still find many parts for the P228, and I don't think you'll have any problems with that for at least another decade. After that, I'm guessing the supply of parts will be much less common. The stamped slide and breach block are discontinued parts, so those will be a bear to get ahold of in the future. I would buy a second P228 to use as a parts gun.

Top Gun Supply sells new breech blocks and other slide parts. The only thing you can't get new is the slide itself. No need to get a "parts" gun.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-breech-block_p226-228.html

KhanRad
12-12-11, 18:23
Top Gun Supply sells new breech blocks and other slide parts. The only thing you can't get new is the slide itself. No need to get a "parts" gun.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-breech-block_p226-228.html

About a year ago I bought the last one they had in stock. Apparently, with the new Swiss imports that have come in they have stripped some of those guns down for parts. So there is only a handful of the breech blocks available and they will once again be impossible to find until another LE agency dumps their guns on the open market.

P Schütze
12-12-11, 18:30
About a year ago I bought the last one they had in stock. Apparently, with the new Swiss imports that have come in they have stripped some of those guns down for parts. So there is only a handful of the breech blocks available and they will once again be impossible to find until another LE agency dumps their guns on the open market.

Sounds like you are accusing TGS of selling used parts as new? They are showing the breech blocks as in stock and it doesn't say if it's new or used.

KhanRad
12-12-11, 18:35
Sounds like you are accusing TGS of selling used parts as new? They are showing the breech blocks as in stock and it doesn't say if it's new or used.

Not intentional. I had forgotten that they were selling new ones. However, there are no "new" ones being made anymore. So, what ever stock they pulled it from is depleted. Just as Sig has been selling special runs of stamped slide guns with what remaining stamped slide inventory they have left.

jrmymiles
12-12-11, 18:45
Whats the chances of me breaking the breech block? I wouldn't think it would be likely. However.....Murphy's Law. This is almost a new gun. Looks like it has been shot a few times then stored for 15yrs. :D

KhanRad
12-12-11, 19:00
Whats the chances of me breaking the breech block? I wouldn't think it would be likely. However.....Murphy's Law. This is almost a new gun. Looks like it has been shot a few times then stored for 15yrs. :D

I've never seen a broken breech block on 9mm guns. I have seen a cracked one on a P220 .45acp around the firing pin hole from years of dry firing with no snap caps.

baddoggy
12-15-11, 17:27
a couple years ago, i bought a new p228 that was made in 2009 in germany with an american frame. it runs fine but ill probably be selling it soon because i can appreciate shooting a glock more after comparing the two. i never had any problems with the 15rd mecgar mags.

jrmymiles
12-19-11, 09:58
Update! I finally got to the range with my 228. I love this thing! I was concerned about parts avalbility since I will most likley put some serious rounds through this thing, so I called Sig. According to Andy in customer service Sig is still making the P228 in Germany and Sig is still stocking all parts. Execpt frames of course. They are occasionally still importing the guns here in the states as well. Just not very often. Just thought I would pass this info on. Thanks again for all the replies.

readyme
12-19-11, 15:52
Thanks for the update.
I too have a 229 from 1997. I was considering selling it since moving to the M&P9c, but I am going to hold onto it since they seem to be quite rare anymore.

KhanRad
12-19-11, 18:54
It's great to hear that Germany is still producing the old P228 stamped slides. Also glad that you like your P228. :)