PDA

View Full Version : Self assembled Feild Cleaning kits*PICS*

Jaysop
12-12-11, 08:55
So ive been trying to put together a good military field cleaning kit. Something that can sustain maintenance needs for an extended time out in the field(training or in country) or in a highly mobile bug out situation. Light weight and easily packable.

I know that I can keep my rifle running off of basically just wiping off the carrier and bolt and keeping it lubed. In my experience that's not always a long term solution. Shit gets nasty and for peace of mind id like the ability to tear down and really get in there.

This is an alternative to something like the otis cleaning kit which ive found to be lacking things.
Because this (below) happens Id like to be prepared
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc390/jsop0331/cleaningkit1.png

I'm thinking one weapon system right now, My go to AR.
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc390/jsop0331/Noveksenew.jpg
I figure I can always add small parts for additional weapons as I go or the need arises.

So far what I got for this project is:

Basic GI butt stock kit
-Cleaning rods
-AP brush
-Eyelet
-Chamber brush
-Bore brush

What ive added so far
-Chamber swab
-Boresnake
-decent patches
-lightly oiled rag
-1inch paintbrush(my dog tactically acquired that so in the process of
replacement)

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc390/jsop0331/cleaningkit.jpg

Now where my thought process is, is in long term sustainability.
Obviously what im missing is Lube. I was thinking a weapon properly treated with froglube is sustainable for a while with liquid froglube.
But since it reacts with other lubes, In a bugout situation or extended time out. After ive depleted my resources maybe its smarter to go with something more conventional? Comments?

Contemplating a Dental pik, Id be pissed if I left it out and really wanted it someday, but cant really justify its need.

Lastly what im looking for is a good case for it all. something completely seal-able, small, MOLLE a plus, stuff-able, durable, and appropriate.
One thing I dont like about the otis is that its a bitch to shove in the front of an assault pack with is unforgiving round shape and the molle tethering is so short Ive had one unwork its self and that's unquestionably a waste.

So basically Im wondering what some of you have for situations like this. What am I missing... what should I ditch?

Also maybe some small appropriate tools you would consider packing away? I have my leatherman on hand but that doesn't really do everything I may need?

I'm a very visual learner so any pics of what some of you guys have would be greatly appreciated. That and who doesn't love pics?

Dsm2nr
12-12-11, 11:52
I have what you have, plus:

giant bath towel
rubber gloves
300+ q tips
150+ patches
Frog Lube paste and liquid
2 extra bottles of EWL

I do have more stuff for my handguns but that's all for my AR15. This stuff lives in my rifle bag and if it's SHTF I figure I'll need quantity of quality. Although I don't clean my rifle after every time I shoot like a lot of people, so items could be used to barter with.

Ironman8
12-12-11, 13:35
What exact situation are you preparing for? A true SHTF situation where you are "bugged out", humping cross country, and basically cut off from all civilization?

What exactly do you plan on having to clean on your rifle? Do you forsee cleaning off mud from dropping your rifle, or do you think you'll have to clean off caked up carbon from firing thousands of rounds through your weapon between cleanings?

I am asking these questions seriously because I want to know what your state of mind is before I offer any "advise". I have thought these situations through as well, and have really boiled it down to what I really "need"...

lamarbrog
12-12-11, 13:45
With the understanding that this is a bug-out, field cleaning kit...

1. USGI Cleaning Rod.
2. Chamber Brush.
3. Bore Brush.
4. Small Bottle of Ballistol.
5. Sock.
6. Tooth Brush.

1. This is primarily for stuck cases. Otherwise I would only carry one section for cleaning the chamber.

2. Chamber cleanliness matters- don't want to have a torn case or a failure to extract because of a dirty chamber.

3. The bore brush only tags along because the full cleaning rod is already there for stuck cases. Otherwise it would be omitted. I am not going to have a significant decrease in accuracy due to bore fouling given the quantity of ammunition I could carry on my person.

4. Lube matters a whole lot more than any cleaning. Ballistol is my product of choice. Awesome stuff.

5. Works as a cleaning rag. Wipe off crud.

6. To get in the extractor claw and such. Just to knock crud out of tight places.

tbirk
12-12-11, 14:17
I would suggest a Multi-Tasker tool. It has most of the tools that you might need in the field, including a caste nut wrench. It is well designed and manufactured. Available @ Brownell's and others.

Jaysop
12-12-11, 15:17
Well im thinking less about a longterm bug out. More about a month or so out in the field w/o resupply in a military situation, or a bug out situation where its a grab and go and resupply as I go.

I'm not really thinking 1000s of round because that's kind of unrealistic in both situations.
More thinking about adverse weather playing its part along with crud, shitty muddy places... Just getting filthy threw my rifle being out in the elements for an extended period of time, as well as carbon buildup.

Hypothetically you drop your rifle chamber open and now your f@*ked with mud and what ever else is in there and it drops below freezing at night so it has to be cleaned. What would you like to have on hand for that?

I do like keeping my rifle clean for peace of mind and habit.

As for what to keep it all in... im looking for a small pouch or case.
What do you guys think? know of anything? I saw a small maxpediton pouch that zipped closed. But im more than open to suggestions.

lamarbrog
12-12-11, 15:27
I'll add that I would be carrying a Leatherman MUT. I don't usually consider that part of my cleaning supplies, so I forgot to mention it.

And as far as what you are talking about... I just don't throw my rifle action-open into the mud. Dust cover is there for a reason...

Jaysop
12-12-11, 17:07
I just don't throw my rifle action-open into the mud. Dust cover is there for a reason...

I knew someone was going to say something like that, obviously im not just dragging my shit threw the mud...

I don't know what your experiences are but shit happens, unfortunately its usually when your in a situation where you need it to work.

Ill be looking into the MUT, Iv never handled one but multiple people have recommended them in the past.

MistWolf
12-12-11, 17:14
He said "drop" not "throw". Sometimes you find yourself in a situation that no matter how much self discipline you have, you don't have your full facilities because of heat, cold, rain, wind, dehydration, lack of food, fatigue, injury- what have you, and you drop your weapon at the worst possible moment

lamarbrog
12-12-11, 17:21
Okay, let's say you "drop" your rifle into a pile of mud as you're just meandering along. The dust cover should have been closed, and a magazine should have been in the magazine well. There should be no functional issues with the rifle. Rinse it in a pond, creek, lake, stream, river, etc. and dry it off.

The only instance I can think of when you might drop a rifle action-open into mud would be in a very undesirable combat scenario. In which case, if it prohibits your rifle from functioning all the cleaning supplies in the world won't help you because whomever you are exchanging fire with is going to kill you while you are trying to clean the gunk out of your rifle.

Transition to secondary if it's a "danger close" situation. If that is not the case, clean the gunk out of your rifle at the next possible moment using some water and your tooth brush.

MistWolf
12-12-11, 17:34
From your mouth to God's ears.

Mud doesn't always mean "creek" or "pond" nearby. Fatigue means mistakes. Jsop isn't asking about carrying enough gear to require a logistics command following him around, he's talking about enough gear to keep a rifle going without having to "return to base".

Mistakes happen. While it would be kinda rare to drop your rifle, in the mud, with the mag out and the dust cover open, it could happen. It'd be nice to have something practical on hand to get the rifle up & running again before you run into the badguys.

If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home

davidjinks
12-12-11, 17:37
What exact situation are you preparing for? A true SHTF situation where you are "bugged out", humping cross country, and basically cut off from all civilization?

What exactly do you plan on having to clean on your rifle? Do you forsee cleaning off mud from dropping your rifle, or do you think you'll have to clean off caked up carbon from firing thousands of rounds through your weapon between cleanings?

I am asking these questions seriously because I want to know what your state of mind is before I offer any "advise". I have thought these situations through as well, and have really boiled it down to what I really "need"...

For some reason when I read your post I could hear that hilarious video on YouTube with the animated dudes...

OP

How about a standard GI cleaning kit?

Cleaning rod
Bore brush
Chamber brush
Patch holder
Patches
Tooth brush
CLP

Jaysop
12-12-11, 17:43
Okay, let's say you "drop" your rifle into a pile of mud as you're just meandering along. The dust cover should have been closed, and a magazine should have been in the magazine well. There should be no functional issues with the rifle. Rinse it in a pond, creek, lake, stream, river, etc. and dry it off.

The only instance I can think of when you might drop a rifle action-open into mud would be in a very undesirable combat scenario. In which case, if it prohibits your rifle from functioning all the cleaning supplies in the world won't help you because whomever you are exchanging fire with is going to kill you while you are trying to clean the gunk out of your rifle.

Transition to secondary if it's a "danger close" situation. If that is not the case, clean the gunk out of your rifle at the next possible moment using some water and your tooth brush.

I appreciate your input but I don't think were on the same page.

From your mouth to God's ears.

Mud doesn't always mean "creek" or "pond" nearby. Fatigue means mistakes. Jsop isn't asking about carrying enough gear to require a logistics command following him around, he's talking about enough gear to keep a rifle going without having to "return to base".

Mistakes happen. While it would be kinda rare to drop your rifle, in the mud, with the mag out and the dust cover open, it could happen. It'd be nice to have something practical on hand to get the rifle up & running again before you run into the badguys.

If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home

^^ We are though.

That statement was about a "well **** me!" moment. Not a statement about tactics and procedures.

Jaysop
12-12-11, 17:46
OP

Cleaning rod
Bore brush
Chamber brush
Patch holder
Patches
Tooth brush
CLP

Thats what ive started with, the basics are the basics for a reason. Added some things Ive like having in the past. And maybe looking for other things people have discovered.

lamarbrog
12-12-11, 17:47
Then wipe off the parts on your shirt and get on with life. Carrying a bath towel in the event you might drop your rifle in the mud with the action open in a non-combat scenario, but with one imminently approaching is along the same lines of carrying a spare rifle because you might get a squib and blow up your current rifle.

Jaysop
12-12-11, 18:09
Then wipe off the parts on your shirt and get on with life. Carrying a bath towel in the event you might drop your rifle in the mud with the action open in a non-combat scenario, but with one imminently approaching is along the same lines of carrying a spare rifle because you might get a squib and blow up your current rifle.

Im under the impression you've never been part of a active military grunt unit, which is fine but when your on a field exorcize your not walking around with mags in. At least never one that I was involved in.

And when there's been live fire there's a lot of chamber checking and bolts locked to the rear for safety issues.

As for the SHTF senario that wasnt what I was thinking about, I was thinking about propping my rifle up in a portashitter and then opening the door and BAM "**** ME!" it tipped over...

As for transitioning to my secondary <-- yes in a SHTF senario
Real life, Most of the time my M4 is my secondary and a Heavy gun being my primary.

lamarbrog
12-12-11, 18:18
Im under the impression you've never been part of a active military grunt unit, which is fine but when your on a field exorcize your not walking around with mags in. At least never one that I was involved in.

And when there's been live fire there's a lot of chamber checking and bolts locked to the rear for safety issues.

As for the SHTF senario that wasnt what I was thinking about, I was thinking about propping my rifle up in a portashitter and then opening the door and BAM "**** ME!" it tipped over...

As for transitioning to my secondary <-- yes in a SHTF senario
Real life, Most of the time my M4 is my secondary and a Heavy gun being my primary.

No I haven't participated in any military field drills or military live fire drills.

And I'm not really sure when "drill" = "SHTF". The whole premise of this thread was for a SHTF cleaning kit.

Jaysop
12-12-11, 18:29
No I haven't participated in any military field drills or military live fire drills.

And I'm not really sure when "drill" = "SHTF". The whole premise of this thread was for a SHTF cleaning kit.

No it was not. --> I <-- started the thread and in my first line I said "field or SHTF" mostly geared towards real like military training evolutions with SHTF as a secondary thought.

I guess many people wont understand what I meant by "the field" and ill probably edit that to simplify that.

Travelingchild
12-12-11, 18:37
... im missing is Lube. I was thinking a weapon properly treated with froglube is sustainable for a while with liquid froglube.
But since it reacts with other lubes, In a bugout situation after ive depleted my resources maybe its smarter to go with something more conventional? Comments?

Usually don't get involved in this, but most of you are missing the most obvious source for "lube" . Automobiles of course mainly the hundreds if not thousands abandoned in a shtf due to lack of fuel etc.
All that engine/tranny oil will still be there when the automobile is ditched. Punch a hole and there's your resupply:D

davidjinks
12-12-11, 18:45
Add a 1/8 inch punch and call it a day. No need to add extra rags and such…In a "Field" environment you'll have spare shirts.

All my time in the military and I've never needed more than what I had listed. That was time spent as 11B and 55D (89D Now) CONUS and "In Country".

You want to keep it light and simple. You want it easily packable and you want it to sustain you for long(er) periods of time. Put CLP in your kit (Or enter your favorite lube) and those recommendations are what you've asked for.

Thats what ive started with, the basics are the basics for a reason. Added some things Ive like having in the past. And maybe looking for other things people have discovered.

scottryan
12-12-11, 19:00
A field cleaning kit should be:

1. Rigid cleaning rod to knock out stuck cases
2. Pull through cord like an otis cord
3. Rags that can be used to wipe out the gun or cut into patches
4. Some type of dental style pick to get at any gravel or other foreign objects in hard to reach places.
5. Oil

No chamber brush is needed. And you can get by without a bore brush.

I have never used a chamber brush in my life and I don't like that steel flu flu thing on them.

Ironman8
12-12-11, 19:54
For some reason when I read your post I could hear that hilarious video on YouTube with the animated dudes...

OP

Cleaning rod
Bore brush
Chamber brush
Patch holder
Patches
Tooth brush
CLP

lol not sure exactly what you're referring to, post a link, you've got me curious now...

Ok OP,

I would just keep it simple for a couple reasons: 1) Bulk 2) Weight. If you're really talking a "SHTF I'm Buggin Out" situation, then you will want to be as light as possible, as minimalist as possible. On a side note, I'm glad you don't think you'll be getting into hundreds of firefights, best to E&E...

Alot of what I was thinking has already been said above, but this is what I would carry for a cleaning/maintenance kit:

Couple of small hand towels (I would personally rather use this if there was anything substantial to wipe down as opposed to the shirt method...I think the weight/bulk is worth it.) This will cover your carbon, mud, blood, and anything else you might need to wipe off.

Multi-tool - this should be automatic anyway since you're in a bugout situation, but this will cover your small parts repair/take down, scraping off frozen mud, ect.

Cleaning Rod - covers your stuck cases as well as cleaning the bore (I also like how Kyle Defoor attaches his to his rifle)...although if you have a stuck case in a firefight, I don't recommend trying to un-stuck it then and there lol

(1) Bore Brush - obviously scrubs your bore (I wouldn't even bother with patches if I was really trying to cut it down, patches can be made out of just about anything fabric and can be shoved down the bore if necessary...but this is where a CL barrel comes in handy)....if you wanted to do a Boresnake, then that is an option too, but having heard too many stories of them breaking off in the barrel and being super hard to get out, I'm not so sure I'd take the unnecessary risk.

Cleaning/Tooth Brush - Scrubs down small parts, bcg, chamber, ect. (I wouldn't even bother with a chamber brush)

Small Bottle of Lube - this is key to keep it running, filthy or not. I really like the idea of using vehicles as your "lube source". Fantastic idea! Never even thought about it to be honest...

And since you will be "bugging out", you will have to be resupplying water, so this will be your "cleaning solution".

Also, as a preventative measure, using a "shoot through" end cap (or just electrical tape) for your barrel and keeping your dust cover closed and a mag in the gun will plug up the "holes" so you don't have to do any deep cleaning.

Just as long as you realize that you won't be making your rifle spotless and "pretty", you will be fine making it just function with the above. Also, most of this stuff can be carried ON your rifle if you have a buttstock like a Imod or Sopmod.

Iraqgunz
12-12-11, 20:09
Can we please stop shitting all over a simple thread like a cleaning kit?

hardtimes790
12-12-11, 20:40
I always keep a couple or three 'broken shell extractors' in my kit. It's small enough to keep with you especially if you use an MOE/MIAD grip(or at least a grip with storage capabilities). Also fits in an A2 buttstock and it may fit in a Vltor modstock. (not sure-haven't tried) A cleaning rod works great until a casehead gets ripped off...:eek: For the scenario you specify, I think it is a must have item. (ask me how I know)

http://www.combathunting.com/cart.cgi?group=0&child=10838 $4.49 + shipping. No reason not to have a few....

duece71
12-13-11, 03:11
For me, a nice simple cleaning kit that I can use easily. It would have to be able to be stored in an organized pouch so nothing gets lost. A few spare parts might be nice as well but a "few" could be anybodys definition. Hopefully in a SHTF situation, I would be doing a lot more evading/keeping a low profile than gunfighting and pouring through thousands of rounds that I may not have but thats just me.

Sticks
12-13-11, 04:12
I've gotta second (or third) the savaging for consumables.

Even in the most remote areas, you will be able to find something as lube and a cleaning agent. Personally I'd be looking for diesel or hydraulic fluid. Transmission fluid if I had absolutely no other choice.

Stick with the rod, brush, and maybe a patch holder. A quality multitool (leatherman type), and a simple AR multi tool. Even then you can make a strap wrench out of a belt or some fabric and a stout stick/or something of the like, if you absolutely had to pull the barrel nut or stock nut.

If it's cold (freezing) and you need to get frozen mud out, piss on it. Yeah, I know ammonia (albiet minimal) is not the best thing in the world for the internals of a gun, but you gotta do what you gotta do, and it'll be warm enough to loosen it up. It's also a good thing if in your scavenging you end up running corrosive ammo.

markm
12-13-11, 07:29
Because this (below) happens Id like to be prepared

If "this" happens a hose with running water is what you need. Not a silly compilation of gadgets and such.

Hose it off inside and out and relube.

Jaysop
12-13-11, 09:14
A field cleaning kit should be:

1. Rigid cleaning rod to knock out stuck cases
2. Pull through cord like an otis cord
3. Rags that can be used to wipe out the gun or cut into patches
4. Some type of dental style pick to get at any gravel or other foreign objects in hard to reach places.
5. Oil

No chamber brush is needed. And you can get by without a bore brush.

I have never used a chamber brush in my life and I don't like that steel flu flu thing on them.

I agree you can get by with out one. But not ever using one at all?
Do you just run patches threw or a boresnake? How do you clean your barrels?

If "this" happens a hose with running water is what you need. Not a silly compilation of gadgets and such.

Hose it off inside and out and relube.

That particular situation there were no hoses, its was a bitch to clean with an AP brush, Canteen + rag. Iv learned nice tricks to clean shit off like the dental pic and paint brush. Looking for anything else people have discovered threw their trails. "Need drives invention"
sort of thing.

As for using motor oil, yea absolutely in a SHTF situation, but currently with Breckfree CLP everywhere, how does that react with frog lube?

Jaysop
12-13-11, 09:15
Anyone know of any good pouches? something better than the nylon fold over case your standard GI set comes in?

markm
12-13-11, 09:25
I agree you can get by with out one. But not ever using one at all?
Do you just run patches threw or a boresnake? How do you clean your barrels?

That particular situation there were no hoses, its was a bitch to clean with an AP brush, Canteen + rag. Iv learned nice tricks to clean shit off like the dental pic and paint brush. Looking for anything else people have discovered threw their trails. "Need drives invention"
sort of thing.

Oh I agree. I have a great cleaning kit with all kinds of i've accumulated over the years. I just looked at that gun and thought.. WATER! ;)

As for using motor oil, yea absolutely in a SHTF situation, but currently with Breckfree CLP everywhere, how does that react with frog lube?

I added FrogLube to a gun that had Mobile1 on it. Kinda gooped up when it cooled off, but wasn't problematic.... just messy.

Never tried it with CLP though.

Jaysop
12-13-11, 09:44
Oh I agree. I have a great cleaning kit with all kinds of i've accumulated over the years. I just looked at that gun and thought.. WATER! ;)

I added FrogLube to a gun that had Mobile1 on it. Kinda gooped up when it cooled off, but wasn't problematic.... just messy.

Never tried it with CLP though.

I saw that rifle and said dam, the armory isn't going to like this :suicide:

Do you mind me asking what your cleaning kit consist of?

markm
12-13-11, 10:08
Oh man... Well..

Dewey rods, of course... the 24" for carbines is nice., Bronze bore brush and sloted tips.

Patches - I cut my own to various sizes for applying cleaners, and removing fouling, etc.

CLP - It's a good cleaner... softens carbon if allowed to soak.

Boretech Cu2 - For Copper fouling removal. - mostly for bolt gun though.

Q-tips.. wood shaft and kroger brand. Krogers can be bent to clean the Barrel extension, wood ones fit in the firing pin hole of the bolt, etc.

Brushes... Tooth brushes, Nylon GI brush, Stainless steel wire brush (for the bolt tail), etc.

Small double ended screw driver. - Some odd machinist tool or something that makes for a great carbon remover in the carrier.

Regular AR chamber brush on a short handle, and a cotton mop on a short handle to wipe out the chamber after brushing.

Dirty rag - to wipe out the upper and wipe lube of the dirty bolt group.

Mobile 1 - to relube the bolt

High temp grease - to lube the carrier rails.

ColdDeadHands
12-13-11, 18:45
This kit looks nice;

http://www.otisgun.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=79E00E0701D54813B6F2596A96C7CB4A

Ebay has them cheap.

Duffy
12-13-11, 18:58
We typically don't leak info about upcoming products, let's just say the timing of this thread makes us chuckle ;)

We have been cooking up something for couple of months that will accelerate its pace in the coming months ;)

Jaysop
12-13-11, 19:41
Oh man... Well..

Dewey rods, of course... the 24" for carbines is nice., Bronze bore brush and sloted tips.

Patches - I cut my own to various sizes for applying cleaners, and removing fouling, etc.

CLP - It's a good cleaner... softens carbon if allowed to soak.

Boretech Cu2 - For Copper fouling removal. - mostly for bolt gun though.

Q-tips.. wood shaft and kroger brand. Krogers can be bent to clean the Barrel extension, wood ones fit in the firing pin hole of the bolt, etc.

Brushes... Tooth brushes, Nylon GI brush, Stainless steel wire brush (for the bolt tail), etc.

Small double ended screw driver. - Some odd machinist tool or something that makes for a great carbon remover in the carrier.

Regular AR chamber brush on a short handle, and a cotton mop on a short handle to wipe out the chamber after brushing.

Dirty rag - to wipe out the upper and wipe lube of the dirty bolt group.

Mobile 1 - to relube the bolt

High temp grease - to lube the carrier rails.

Sounds painlessly simple. Most of that stuff is easily stuffable. Or has a stuffable counterpart.

This kit looks nice;

http://www.otisgun.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=79E00E0701D54813B6F2596A96C7CB4A

Ebay has them cheap.

I like the one you linked over before, but $435? haha what on earth justifies that price? Maybe if it cleaned your rifle for you while you slept or somthing. :D

I just sent them an email asking if I can purchase just the case, I dout it tho. Its probably made of gold or somthing...

We typically don't leak info about upcoming products, let's just say the timing of this thread makes us chuckle ;)

We have been cooking up something for couple of months that will accelerate its pace in the coming months ;)

Wow now you have me very intrigued. If its something like the basic Otis system but better quality id be your first buyer. Im a sucker for organization.

Iraqgunz
12-14-11, 02:31
Having had several Otis kits I can honestly and truly say that they are pieces of shit and I would spend my money on a solid rod/ GI cleaning kit. Then get the various tip adaptors.

I hnoestly don't put alot of thought into this because it really doesn't require it.

steelonsteel
12-14-11, 07:56
A bore snake and a 1 ounce bottle of slip 2000 EWL are all I've evr carried. If naything more than that goes in ina fight, I won't have time to fix it anyway.

pmarc
12-14-11, 08:00
I hnoestly don't put alot of thought into this because it really doesn't require it.

From this thread it seem that there might be a market for a no-nonsense field cleaning kit.

Jaysop
12-14-11, 11:06
From this thread it seem that there might be a market for a no-nonsense field cleaning kit.

Id really like some thing made by Grunts for Grunts kind of thing.
The Otis is a step in the right direction, but to small of parts and all the proprietary shit makes impractical in a lot of ways. + the quality is shit.

Having had several Otis kits I can honestly and truly say that they are pieces of shit and I would spend my money on a solid rod/ GI cleaning kit. Then get the various tip adaptors.

I agree, its not a brain racking question, but its interesting. To be at least. Ive always been very interested in tricks learned by implementation.
My favorite being hanging warm water in a bottle stuffed in a wet stock in a breezy shady area... even if its 100 degrees and dry out that water gets nice and cold. I was siked when someone showed me that one!

I honestly did expect more feedback from Mil professionals about whats they've carried out, But its been great to see what everyones packin and whats widely considered important.

Duffy
12-14-11, 11:15
I might as well ask for opinions here, since you guys are the first (outside of the development team/parties) to hear about our tool case.

The only thing I'd like to bundle is a multi-tool, so the tool case can be bought with, or without the multi-tool (case only).

I'm of the opinion, based on my own requirements and the cleaning/maintenance gear my friends already own, that a fully assembled kit isn't necessary. I only need the tool case itself, as I already have several multi-tools, USGI cleaning rods, chamber brush, wired brush and toothbrush, oiler bottles, cleaning patches, etc. that I can fully assemble my own without buying a single thing except for the tool case itself.

The multi-tool (optional) I have in mind is the AR Multi-Tasker, again, the case can be bought with or without it, the Multi-Tasker would be the only add-on option for the case.

This project came about when I was working on one of my carbines. I have a huge tool box with everything in it, but I usually don't need 3/4 of the stuff in the tool box, I most certainly don't carry it with me when I go shooting, so I go without any tools as a result, for lack of a compact case that I can put my existing tools in.

Dsm2nr
12-14-11, 11:16
I honestly did expect more feedback from Mil professionals about whats they've carried out, But its been great to see what everyones packin and whats widely considered important.

You might want to check out LightFighter.

lamarbrog
12-14-11, 12:14

For the first time since joining this forum, I find myself in complete agreement with Iraqgunz.

The Otis kits are the definition of a gimmick. They charge way too much, for something that is not as dependable as a GI cleaning kit (when was the last time a GI cleaning kit just broke mid-cleaning, leaving a patch and jag stuck in the bore?), and you lack the ability to knock lose stuck cases.

GI cleaning kit:
Costs about $20.
Cleans the bore effectively and safely.
Very durable, not prone to breakage.
Can be used to knock out stuck cases.

Otis cleaning kit:
Very expensive, entering into the totally absurd on some kits.
Cleans the bore effectively.
Reputation for breaking, leaving obstructions in the bore.
Cannot knock out a stuck case.

The flaw with the Otis system and the Bokesnake is that neither can knock out a stuck case, so to have that ability you need a cleaning rod anyway. .... so if you're carrying a cleaning rod to knock out stuck cases, why not use it for cleaning?

And we get back to the issue that too much focus is spent on cleaning the bore... the bore is pretty much the lowest priority when it comes to an AR. I carry a cleaning rod in case I need to knock out a stuck case- actual cleaning with the rod is a secondary benefit.

NitroDave08
12-14-11, 13:04
For carrying, I used carry the GI cleaning kit in my cargo pocket in my BDUs until I tried bouncing over a wall and bent the hell out of the rods. NOT GOOD. I went to a piece of 1 1/2" (if i remember right) pvc pipe with a wood plug on one end and a cap on the other. Drilled a hole tbru the cap and pipe to stick a large heavy duty cotter pin thru to secure the cap. You can adjust the length to hold as little or as much stuff. Stuffing the extra space with rags prevents rattling. And most the home improvement places carry the black piping.

SeriousStudent
12-14-11, 18:40
Duffy, I will be interested in seeing what you produce. I am sure it will match the high quality of your other products.

Jsop, if you are looking for a case, I have had good luck with one of these:

http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/emdomusa/Detail?no=43

MilitaryMoron (a mod on this site) designed it, and it works well. I have a tan one, as it makes it harder to lose the small black parts of an AR BCG.

It holds a disassembled cleaning rod, jag, lube bottle, spare bolt, patches, small multitool, and a boresnake. Plus it rolls up small enough to stuff in the back pocket on a pair of jeans.

And thank you for your service to our country. I used to lug a Pig myself.

Jaysop
12-14-11, 21:12
Duffy, I will be interested in seeing what you produce. I am sure it will match the high quality of your other products.

Jsop, if you are looking for a case, I have had good luck with one of these:

http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/emdomusa/Detail?no=43

MilitaryMoron (a mod on this site) designed it, and it works well. I have a tan one, as it makes it harder to lose the small black parts of an AR BCG.

It holds a disassembled cleaning rod, jag, lube bottle, spare bolt, patches, small multitool, and a boresnake. Plus it rolls up small enough to stuff in the back pocket on a pair of jeans.

And thank you for your service to our country. I used to lug a Pig myself.

I think that is actually perfect. I just placed an order, It doesn't have MOLLE but the double pouches and the mat are pretty ideal.
I saw something like that a while ago but it didn't look like it had any quality in the material or production.
Thank you for linking that over.

SeriousStudent
12-14-11, 23:53
You are very welcome. It's big enough that you can detail strip a Glock on it. The little velcro strips are a very useful part of the kit. You can keep an AR firing pin retaining pin, or a Glock trigger pin from wandering off.

And that reminds me, I always keep a Glock armorer's tool in all my kits.

I'm thinking about getting another in the sewer green color, to have one set up for a shotgun kit. The coyoteish one I have now holds enough for a carbine and a pistol. I'd prefer to have them color coded, so I do not grab the wrong one before heading out the door.