PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon RMR as a primary sight?

Armati
12-12-11, 08:57
Is anyone using an RMR as their primary RDS? I pretty much love the Trijicon chevron and triangle reticles. Washout has always been an issue with the Reflex series. It seems that the RMR has pretty much fixed this. I am looking to replace my EOTech 552.A65 with an RMR08. Thoughts?

armakraut
12-12-11, 17:36
The RMR's are a lot better than the old reflex sights, but I still keep my front sight up. The trijicon and ADM mounts are absolute cowitness only, which pretty much forces you to run your rear sight down.

Omen
12-12-11, 17:58
I'd be interested in the replies to this.

One question I would add is: considering the mounts as well, is there a weight difference between the RMR and other options (T1 for instance)?

I ask because it seems like the RMR should be lighter, but I have no numbers to prove it one way or the other.

striped1
12-12-11, 18:16
I am waiting for Larue to come out with the 45 degree angle RMR mount. They have one for the T1. I plan on running it to the side of a scope. I have contacted them but haven't gotten anywhere yet.

xrayoneone
12-12-11, 20:47
When it comes to the RMR does anyone else notice a "fish bowl" effect when looking through the sight? I'm curious as I shot a co-workers and it was really noticeable through his. I would like to know if that is in all of the RMRs or just his.

Also thanks on the info about the absolute cowitness on the mounts, good to know.

xk319
12-13-11, 00:16
I had a dual illumination for a while, I did notice the slight fishbowl effect on it.

Just a Jarhead
12-13-11, 05:15
When it comes to the RMR does anyone else notice a "fish bowl" effect when looking through the sight? I'm curious as I shot a co-workers and it was really noticeable through his. I would like to know if that is in all of the RMRs or just his.

Also thanks on the info about the absolute cowitness on the mounts, good to know.

I have the battery RMR not the dual illumination one. Never ntoiced a fishbowl effect. Mine's on a Matt Burkett 45 degree offset mount. Have had it for several years and really like it. I change the battery every 2 years whether it needs it or not with lots of spare batteries just in case.

Mr. Smith
12-13-11, 08:11
I used and trained with one for a year and in the end.
The thought I would see a difference in some group size or speed I did not see it.
It took me a hole day in the shop to make a mount that was lower third and it was not worth it at all.
For me the optic has to be AimPoint H1.

TAZ
12-13-11, 20:22
I am waiting for Larue to come out with the 45 degree angle RMR mount. They have one for the T1. I plan on running it to the side of a scope. I have contacted them but haven't gotten anywhere yet.

If you use LaRue SPR mount for your scope, they make a ring half that can mount an RMR. Positions it between the elevation and windage dials. LT742 I think. I havent measured it out by it appears to have a bit of an offset away from the scope centerline such that when you rotate the rifle the RMR is pretty close to being above the centerline of the barrel. I ended up going this route and I seems nice. I don't have a huge number of rounds through it, but it seems that I barely have to rotate the rifle and the dot shows up in my field of view.

I have an adjustable RMR on my rifle and I don't notice any fish bowl effect. For me the T1 felt like I was shooting through a straw for some reason.

Singlestack Wonder
12-13-11, 21:45
Both the dual-illuminated and and battery RMR versions show a slight fisheye effect due to the shape of the glass. If one focuses on the target, it's not an issue.

Tomac
12-14-11, 07:21
The dual-illuminated RMR is much more resistant to reticle washout than any other of the Reflex series (my own tests) but the deal-killer for me was the very limited FOV through the optic, it's not very forgiving of sloppy cheekweld or when shooting from awkward positions.
Tomac

cabbynate
12-14-11, 19:55
The dual-illuminated RMR is much more resistant to reticle washout than any other of the Reflex series (my own tests) but the deal-killer for me was the very limited FOV through the optic, it's not very forgiving of sloppy cheekweld or when shooting from awkward positions.
Tomac

That is my take on it as well...

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh186/nateholl3/RMRwithLaRue.jpg

armakraut
12-14-11, 21:14
Aimpoint Micro has a lot of similar FOV issues, but the weight reduction is worth it.