PDA

View Full Version : Need Help from Glock guys: Trade-In G17s

Battlepack
12-12-11, 09:14
I'm thinking about picking up a police trade-in Gen 1/2 G17 for about $310, which seems like a decent deal to me. OK to go with an early Gen 1/2?

I'm a 1911 guy, so my knowledge of the inner workings of a Glock is unknown to me. What do I need to buy (springs/etc.) to refurbish it and get a decent trigger? The different connectors/combinations are confusing me. I will probably give the Hack sights a try on it.

ST911
12-12-11, 09:32
I'm thinking about picking up a police trade-in Gen 1/2 G17 for about $310, which seems like a decent deal to me. OK to go with an early Gen 1/2?

I'm a 1911 guy, so my knowledge of the inner workings of a Glock is unknown to me. What do I need to buy (springs/etc.) to refurbish it and get a decent trigger? The different connectors/combinations are confusing me. I will probably give the Hack sights a try on it.

That's a good buy on a G17 in most markets. I would buy it. Detail clean, inspect, and shoot it first to see what it needs. You wouldn't do any harm with a spring replacement job. Use OEM components only.

Is it a "gen 1" pebble-grip, no checkering or a "gen 2" non-FG/R, with front and backstrap checkering? Learn the differences, and beware of the trappings of the "generation" nomenclature.

Nephrology
12-12-11, 11:59
310 dollars is highway robbery. You'd better buy it. Gen 1 or 2 that is a good deal.

wesprt
12-12-11, 19:06
Kick ass deal. When you get it give it a good cleaning and detail strip, install a new recoil spring, trigger spring, slide lock spring and striker spring.. Pick up some new mags or at least new mag springs for the mags that come with it because they are probably as old as Jesus.That should bring it back good as new.

As for the trigger question, the stock 5lb connector is plenty good for most shooters. It isn't heavy enough to hold you back significantly in accuracy or speed if you have a good grasp of the fundamentals.

duece71
12-12-11, 19:53
My LGS has them for $450 so yes, at the $310 price, pick one up.

jmlshooter
12-12-11, 20:17
I would absolutely do that.

To be quite honest, I've decided that I'm only buying the used Glocks until they get their crap together from a reliability standpoint. I would buy an LE trade-in before I would buy a new one.

I don't know that you need to replace EVERY spring in the gun or that's even desirable. Two things I would definitely replace are the slide lock and the recoil spring. The slide lock can have a major effect on accuracy if it's worn down. The recoil spring will make it feel like it's beating itself to death if it's got too much mileage on it.

Slap your sights on it and rock and roll.

The used Gen 2 Glock is the best value in handguns today, at least for my money.