PDA

View Full Version : AK stock options/questions

Pork Chop
12-12-11, 10:09
I have a ban era Norinco MAK90 that bought off a friend for cheap back around 1994 or 95.

I don't know much about them and shamefully kind of beat the hell out of this thing for many years.

Fast forward to the present, I've taken an interest in refurbishing this rifle as a spare SHTF/fun gun so I went about ordering all the 922R compliance parts so I could refinish, install a flash hider and change out the thumbhole stock for something longer to better fit my orangutan arm length. There in lies the problem.

Once I removed the old crappy thumbhole it became apparent that my little MAK90 was an underfolder AK in it's pre-import life. There is no top tang on the rear trunnion and the holes are there in the sides of the receiver but were covered by the thumbhole stock.

I know the underfolder configuration would increase it's value but, I really would prefer a longer, fixed option just to make it more comfortable for my arm length.

Do I have any real options short of changing out the receiver?

Thanks!!

MegademiC
12-12-11, 15:45
for a standard stock, you may be screwed. But there is this:

http://riflestocks.com/store/product61.html

tang needs to be cut off, but since yours is not there, you should just be able to install it. Any of the ace modular stocks can be attatched to it. You can even put in a folding mechanism if you'd like.

Toyoland66
12-17-11, 11:29
I don't think that mount would work, an under folder trunnion won't have the bolt holes to bolt that adapter block in.

OP you may as well install an under folder stock, the holes are in the receiver and you don't really have a lot of options other than welding them up and redrilling for a fixed trunnion. Replacing the receiver would be even more work - I don't think it would be worth it for the amount of effort it would require. An under folder would be a bolt in affair.

Pork Chop
12-17-11, 11:40
I don't think that mount would work, an under folder trunnion won't have the bolt holes to bolt that adapter block in.

OP you may as well install an under folder stock, the holes are in the receiver and you don't really have a lot of options other than welding them up and redrilling for a fixed trunnion. Replacing the receiver would be even more work - I don't think it would be worth it for the amount of effort it would require. An under folder would be a bolt in affair.

I realize that, and I know you're right.

I'm just in denial I guess. I have shot underfolders before and don't care for them, but in the end it will make it a bit more valuable and it's by far the simplest fix.

Do you know if there are any USA made underfolder kits available? I'll be losing a few 922r parts by going with a foreign made underfolder and I would prefer to not replace any more internals than necessary to achieve my USA parts count.

Thanks!!

Spooky130
12-17-11, 21:28
I realize that, and I know you're right.

I'm just in denial I guess. I have shot underfolders before and don't care for them, but in the end it will make it a bit more valuable and it's by far the simplest fix.

Do you know if there are any USA made underfolder kits available? I'll be losing a few 922r parts by going with a foreign made underfolder and I would prefer to not replace any more internals than necessary to achieve my USA parts count.

Thanks!!

I agree - underfolders look super cool but suck to shoot. I can't recall ever seeing an American made underfolder out in the wild. You can pretty much get to half of the 922r requirements by using an American made mag or mag parts. Go with a pistol grip plus a FCG set to get to 4 of 6 parts. Add a gas piston if you want to deal with that...

I think the hardest part might be finding an underfolder trunnion. Copes has underfolders with everything you need except the trunnion. I've seen a few American underfolding trunnions out there but can't remember where.

If you plan on replacing the receiver it will be very expensive. Welding the holes up will be expensive as well.

Spooky

Toyoland66
12-17-11, 21:59
The Chinese with the 1.6 mm receiver doesn't use a trunnion for the under folder.

You need a single lug under folder like a Romanian or Bulgarian. Apex has both.

You will need 6 us parts for 922r.

Pork Chop
12-17-11, 22:51
I have a US made flash hider, and a Tapco G2 trigger group already so if I use a US pistol grip and some US mags I'll be ok on my parts count.

I just didn't want to have to rely on the US mags to meet my parts count. I have more than a dozen surplus mags that are good quality and reliable so I don't want to rely on mags for my total parts count if not necessary.

I'll look into the apex underfolder though, thanks!!

TOrrock
12-17-11, 22:55
I have a US made flash hider, and a Tapco G2 trigger group already so if I use a US pistol grip and some US mags I'll be ok on my parts count.

I just didn't want to have to rely on the US mags to meet my parts count. I have more than a dozen surplus mags that are good quality and reliable so I don't want to rely on mags for my total parts count if not necessary.

I'll look into the apex underfolder though, thanks!!

US handguards and you're golden.

Pork Chop
12-17-11, 23:05
Sounds good.

I'll check into the US underfolder a little more, I think that's gonna be the best solution in the end.

Thanks guys.

TOrrock
12-17-11, 23:06
I don't know of any US underfolder set ups, at least, no quality ones that are worth your time.

Spooky130
12-18-11, 08:28
The Chinese with the 1.6 mm receiver doesn't use a trunnion for the under folder.

I never realized there were no trunnions on a Chinese underfolder! I remembered their receivers were a little thicker than the normal receiver though.

Spooky

warpigM-4
12-18-11, 10:14
I don't know of any US underfolder set ups, at least, no quality ones that are worth your time.

I searched last night and could not find any US under
folding parts it seems that a while back I remember seeing a under
folding US made trunnion But I can't for the life find it.
I would do as Templar Said Hand guards ,trigger group US FH and you are GTG

Toyoland66
12-18-11, 13:06
I think AK builder made a run of UF trunnions a while back, but it wouldn't help with the parts count anyways since they don't count the rear trunnion separately.

1. Barrel
2. Receiver
3. Front and Rear Trunions (Applies to stamped receivers only)
4. Bolt Carrier
5. Bolt
6. Gas Piston
7. Buttstock
8. Pistol Grip
9. Upper and Lower Handguards (Both count as 1 part)
10. Muzzle Device
11. Hammer
12. Trigger
13. Disconnector
14. Magazine Body
15. Magazine Follower
16. Magazine Floorplate

With the parts you already have I would add either hand guards or gas piston (really not that hard to swap out), that way you can run any mags without issue.

Pork Chop
12-18-11, 15:47
Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

I really don't know a heck of alot about the AK platform but I have to say, this thing is bulletproof. It's had the living hell shot out of it with very little love and has never skipped a beat.

How are the Chinese AK's regarded as far as quality? Just curious, no offense will be taken on my part if you tell me they are the DPMS of AK's.:smile:

TOrrock
12-18-11, 16:38
Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

I really don't know a heck of alot about the AK platform but I have to say, this thing is bulletproof. It's had the living hell shot out of it with very little love and has never skipped a beat.

How are the Chinese AK's regarded as far as quality? Just curious, no offense will be taken on my part if you tell me they are the DPMS of AK's.:smile:

They are actually some of the best.

Spooky130
12-18-11, 18:18
They are actually some of the best.

I'll need to post pictures of my reworked MAK-90 once I get my stock set from Ironwood. I spent a good deal of money turning it into something I always wanted. And I think the Chinese triggers were always very good.

nimslerpon
12-19-11, 02:08
Folder CTR would be my choice.

Pork Chop
12-19-11, 08:27
I'll need to post pictures of my reworked MAK-90 once I get my stock set from Ironwood. I spent a good deal of money turning it into something I always wanted. And I think the Chinese triggers were always very good.

That would be great. I'll do the same when I finish mine.

I'm happy to hear that the Chinese AK's are good to go, it makes me more comfortable with spending a little money to refurbish it.

Hell I might even refinish it. I've got some black Durabake laying around that needs used up.

Toyoland66
12-19-11, 08:31
Folder CTR would be my choice.

Ok, so how would you go about mounting it in this scenario?

Toyoland66
12-19-11, 08:36
Just came across this

http://stores.polytechparts.com/-strse-557/70-dsh-BD-dsh-UDF/Detail.bok

Pork Chop
12-19-11, 08:52
Just came across this

http://stores.polytechparts.com/-strse-557/70-dsh-BD-dsh-UDF/Detail.bok

I don't have the hardware to mount it. I'll have to find a complete kit.

Thanks for the link though!!

Toyoland66
12-21-11, 08:49
These guys have complete stocks as well as the individual pieces of hardware

https://www.apexgunparts.com/index.php/cPath/21_91

https://www.apexgunparts.com/index.php/cPath/21_89

Pork Chop
12-21-11, 08:58
These guys have complete stocks as well as the individual pieces of hardware

https://www.apexgunparts.com/index.php/cPath/21_91

https://www.apexgunparts.com/index.php/cPath/21_89

Right on, thanks!!