PDA

View Full Version : Local Post Office claims the USPS does not ship firearms...

a0cake
12-12-11, 10:17
No matter what proof I provide saying that firearms can be shipped USPS, this particular post office refuses to accept firearms for shipment under any circumstances. I have tried to provide documents stating that it is legal but they won't have it. They say their regs say it's illegal, but will not show me their reference.

How can I hold this Post Office accountable? The supervisor denying shipment needs to be fired. Any suggestions?

Waylander
12-12-11, 11:09
You do know you can't ship whole guns just uppers and parts right?

KhanRad
12-12-11, 11:18
No matter what proof I provide saying that firearms can be shipped USPS, this particular post office refuses to accept firearms for shipment under any circumstances. I have tried to provide documents stating that it is legal but they won't have it. They say their regs say it's illegal, but will not show me their reference.

How can I hold this Post Office accountable? The supervisor denying shipment needs to be fired. Any suggestions?

FFLs can ship firearms to FFLs or the factory through the USPS. Or LEOs can ship to a commerical firearms interprise or other department using an official agency letterhead authorization.

khc3
12-12-11, 11:21
Why are you telling them it's a firearm? Why are they asking you?

I'm pretty sure that the only restriction USPS on shipping firearms is that non-licensees cannot ship handguns. Long guns are fine.

Just curious, is there any penalty for lying to a PO employee? They only ask me if my package contains anything liquid, fragile...etc. If they asked me if it contained a gun, my first impulse would be to say no.

a0cake
12-12-11, 11:24

Wrong.

a0cake
12-12-11, 11:30

I'm pretty sure that the only restriction USPS on shipping firearms is that non-licensees cannot ship handguns. Long guns are fine.

Just curious, is there any penalty for lying to a PO employee? They only ask me if my package contains anything liquid, fragile...etc. If they asked me if it contained a gun, my first impulse would be to say no.

Postal regulations do allow the Post Office to inspect the contents of a package. They did.

However, a non-FFL holding individual MAY ship a long gun to an FFL. That is the issue. They don't think you can. In fact, they are so backwards that they told me I was getting confused with ammunition. They said ammunition can be mailed USPS but rifles can not. Ass backwards.

a0cake
12-12-11, 11:31
FFLs can ship firearms to FFLs or the factory through the USPS. Or LEOs can ship to a commerical firearms interprise or other department using an official agency letterhead authorization.

Individuals can ship long guns and shotguns to FFL's as well. Only handguns require FFL to FFL via USPS.

Waylander
12-12-11, 11:42
Well I learned something new. I was told by my PO that you could only ship uppers, parts, etc. and no long guns, pistols, AR lowers, etc. I guess they are bass ackwards too.

I knew about the exceptions for FFLs, LEO, mil but you didn't state that originally.

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2011/pb22321/html/updt_001.htm

and particularly

12.3 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms

Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of firearms. Further advice and ATF contact information is available at http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/

I would show them that and tell them to butt the hell out.

12-12-11, 14:36
Just made a copy of USPS regs. Suggest anyone shipping do same.

a0cake
12-12-11, 14:39
Just made a copy of USPS regs. Suggest anyone shipping do same.

I did this also and even showed it to them. They said "well that's not what ours say." They would not provide evidence of that statement when asked.

Waylander
12-12-11, 14:44
Try a different office. Surely they all can't be that ****ed up.

a0cake
12-12-11, 14:54
I did. Just got it shipped out about an hour ago with no problems. Had to drive 20 minutes instead of 3.

The point is that the dirtbag in charge of that particular post office is likely motivated by political ideologies. His tone and attitude wreak of anti-gun radicalism.

Instead of doing his job and following regulations, he just arbitrarily tells people that the USPS doesn't ship firearms period.

So, again, what's the best way to go about making sure he's unemployed by Christmas? I don't think emailing the USPS with a complaint will do it. There's got to be a better way.

Waylander
12-12-11, 15:04
There has to be a way to go above his head. Demand his boss's name/number. I've had to file complaints at my PO for lost/returned/wrong box number mail consistently on the carrier about 3-4 times over the past few months. I'm at the step to go over the person in charge of the PO that delivers my mail.

Go here and file a complaint:
http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?create=kb:USPSFAQ&search=complaint&searchProperties=type:natural&naturalAdvance=false&varset(source)=sourceType:search#

I would do it by phone and speak to a live person and not stop asking for their superior until I got a satisfactory answer. Keep following up. I'm sure you'll have to be persistent it is a government run, bureaucratic, red tape fustercluck :)

I've been complaining for months and the dumbass truck driver is still screwing our mail up.

Irish
12-12-11, 15:12
So, again, what's the best way to go about making sure he's unemployed by Christmas? I don't think emailing the USPS with a complaint will do it. There's got to be a better way.

Get back in line! They're union, why would they give a ****? American Postal Workers Union (APWU).

SHIVAN
12-12-11, 16:00
http://webpmt.usps.gov/

Use that link, and find a way to contact that person.

Obviously the one with the most recent chronological date....:jester:

austinN4
12-12-11, 17:26
When you get sick of the local people, try writing to this guy:

Mr. Patrick R. Donahoe
Postmaster General and Chief Executive Officer
U.S. Postal Service
475 L'Enfant Plaza, SW
Washington, DC 20260-0010

I did and the problem was solved. It wasn't about firearms, but the problem did get solved.

DeltaSierra
12-12-11, 17:57

Mr. Patrick R. Donahoe
U.S. Postal Service
475 L'Enfant Plaza, SW

I did and the problem was solved. It wasn't about firearms, but the problem did get solved.

Nah, I'd just E-Mail him.... :D

Renegade
12-12-11, 18:29

Do you know you do not know what you are talking about?

Nightvisionary
12-12-11, 18:55
Individuals can ship long guns and shotguns to FFL's as well. Only handguns require FFL to FFL via USPS.

This is correct. I would contact your local postmaster for assistance. If that doesn't work a pro 2nd amendment congressman office if you have one.

khc3
12-12-11, 19:14
Postal regulations do allow the Post Office to inspect the contents of a package. They did.

Interesting.

Care to say what pretext they used to justify inspection?

Just a long, gun-looking box? Name of destination?

J-Dub
12-12-11, 19:43
I too ran into some trouble trying to ship a long gun through USPS. I'll never ship another firearm through them again...ever.

It was an 1899 Krag bolt action. They made me write down all my info, info of who i was shipping it too, state what it was and that it was unloaded and made me sign it. Then the dumbass manager asked if i "took out the firing pin", um no...its unloaded and i doubt anyone has 30-40 laying around.

Then he commented, "if you came in more often, we wouldnt ask all the questions and request all the info" WTF????

F*#K the u.s. postal service and their over payed assholes. Of course i had to argue with UPS about shipping within the state straight to a buyer (instead of an ffl).

Do these people go through any training?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-12-11, 20:58
Thats bullshit on the Post Offices part.

Section 601.11.1 of the DMM is what you need to refer them to. If you have to, use this link from the Postal Explorer: http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

Hell, we even have a PS Form 1508 just for shipping firearms.

The postmaster is breaking many USPS regulations, which are laws enforced by USPS Inspectors. Get in contact with a Postmaster from another P.O. and start moving up the chain of command.

HES
12-12-11, 22:46
I did this also and even showed it to them. They said "well that's not what ours say." They would not provide evidence of that statement when asked.
Escalate it to the PostMaster. If he or she continues to give you problems escalate over their head until you get satisfaction. There is also always your congress critter to get into the action.

glocktogo
12-12-11, 23:39
Escalate it to the PostMaster. If he or she continues to give you problems escalate over their head until you get satisfaction. There is also always your congress critter to get into the action.

This. Then:

Complaints: The United States Postal Service (USPS)

If you wish to file a complaint about the United States Postal Service (USPS) or a postal issue, you may submit your claim in one of five ways:

1. File a complaint online by visiting the E-mail Us link on their website. (Please select the inquiry type that most closely relates to the complaint you have. This will allow them to route your issue to the appropriate department or group.)

2. Call 1.800.ASK.USPS (1.800.275.8777) or TTY at 1.877.TTY.2HLP (1.877.889.2457).

3. Write the Postal Service's Consumer Advocate's office at the following address:
United States Postal Service
Office of the Consumer Advocate
475 L'Enfant Plaza SW RM 4541
Washington D.C. 20260-4541

4. Speak to the Station Manager (Postmaster) at a local Post Office.

5. For acts of theft, fraud, waste or abuse committed by the USPS or a USPS employee, file a complaint with the USPS Inspector General's Office (OIG) by e-mail at hotline@uspsoig.gov, by using the online complaint form or by phone at 1.888.USPS.OIG (1.888.877.7644). Additional contact information is also available, as well as information on what types of issues you should report to the USPS OIG. For acts of fraud or abuse committed by an individual not affiliated with the USPS, please visit reporting mail fraud and report mail theft, tampering or the destruction of mail or mailboxes.

How to File a Complaint With the Postmaster General

The U.S. postmaster general is the chief executive of the U.S. Postal Service. The postmaster general's duties include oversight of consumer complaints and investigations of mail fraud in its many forms. It is not difficult to contact and file a complaint with the postmaster general, provided you know the proper contact information and the most efficient means of contact.

Instructions

o 1

Call 1-800-275-8777 toll-free to reach the Washington D.C. headquarters of the U.S. postmaster general. The telephone system will prompt you to enter the type of inquiry or complaint you wish to file.

o 2

Explain the problem. The office of the U.S. Postal Inspection Service investigates five broad categories of complaints: mail service issues, emergencies, mail fraud, mail theft and identity theft. The Postal Inspection Service provides customer support for general questions.

o 3

Use "snail mail." Write a letter to the postmaster general to file a formal complaint, especially complaints pertaining to law-enforcement issues such as fraud. The address is:

Postmaster General

U.S. Postal Service

475 L'Enfant Plaza, SW

The proper salutation to begin the letter is "Dear Mr. Postmaster General."

o 4

Explain the issue and provide copies of any documentation relating to the complaint, as well as your full name, address and telephone number.

o 5

Sign the letter and send by certified mail if you desire proof of receipt.

Iraqgunz
12-13-11, 01:31
I agree that I would contact the local Postmaster or someone else that has been recommended and have the issue addressed. Maybe the employees there need some additional retraining.

CarlosDJackal
12-13-11, 12:15
Out of curiosity. Why did you elect to have it mailed via USPS? I would rather have had UPS come and pick the package up from me if there wasn't a UPS facility within reasonable distance.

DireWulf
12-13-11, 13:50

Mr. Patrick R. Donahoe
U.S. Postal Service
475 L'Enfant Plaza, SW

Do this and request a response in writing. You are a citizen questioning the veracity of the information given to you by a USPS employee regarding postal regulations. You will receive a letter back. Then you can keep that letter for the next time they try to play games with you. I have a similar letter regarding shipping supposed restricted/hazardous items overseas. My issue was solved and I kept the letter.

Luke_Y
12-21-11, 13:25
...snip...

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2011/pb22321/html/updt_001.htm

and particularly

I would show them that and tell them to butt the hell out.

Nice to have. But, for those postal workers that get lost in the "gobbldy gook" and "mumbo jumbo" I usually take THIS (http://about.usps.com/posters/pos138.pdf) it has pictures and is probably hanging on their wall somewhere.

...snip...

I'm not going to lie. It usually comes up somehow. The recipients address may make it obvious when combined with $1000 insurance, adult signature required, return service requested, and/or whatnot. The only time I can remember it NOT coming up for me is once when I was mailing to myself...

...snip...

Hell, we even have a PS Form 1508 just for shipping firearms.

...snip...

That form is for licensees. They usually try to have me fill it out and I have to explain that it's not for me as I am not a licensee. That usually wigs them out and has them more flustered.

chadbag
12-21-11, 13:55
Out of curiosity. Why did you elect to have it mailed via USPS? I would rather have had UPS come and pick the package up from me if there wasn't a UPS facility within reasonable distance.

The cost between USPS and UPS is huge for firearms (at least for handguns sent legally by USPS and according to UPS policy).