PDA

View Full Version : GPI Custom Gunworks

SteveL
12-12-11, 19:12
I'm curious if anyone has ever used GPI Custom Gunworks (http://www.gpigun.com/index.htm) in Jacksonville, FL for engraving an NFA lower, or for any work at all for that matter. I didn't find anything about them when I ran a search.

I'm contemplating a suppressed SBR for my project for this coming year, and if I opt to build it rather than buy a factory rifle then obviously this will come into play. Of course I want a quality job, and if I can have that done locally then that's even better. I've seen good comments about GPI on another forum, but noone had used them for engraving. The other forum in question doesn't seem quite as discerning as this one either.

cop1211
12-12-11, 21:10
I think the guys at Gun Gallery said they are good to go. I've been thinking on using them myself.

bakercountyboy
12-12-11, 21:37
I know the guys over at shooters of jax have had nothing but great things to say about about GPI. I plan on having them do some OD Green Ceracote on my M&P slide when the factory finish wears down and some stippling on the frame.

SteveL
12-12-11, 22:41
Thanks for the responses. When I was in Gun Gallery a couple of days ago I asked about them about GPI. They said they thought they were ok, but didn't really give me anything definitive. The pics on their website look promising, but we all know that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I might ride over one day and talk to them.

SteveL
12-12-11, 22:43
I know the guys over at shooters of jax have had nothing but great things to say about about GPI. I plan on having them do some OD Green Ceracote on my M&P slide when the factory finish wears down and some stippling on the frame.

I hope you'll post pics if you have them do that for you. Their Cerkote work caught my eye also. If their work really is good then I might look at having them do a camo pattern on my M&P slide at some point.

bakercountyboy
12-13-11, 06:44
I think after Christmas im going to have the frame stippled. I will post pics for sure. im pretty much just getting the front strap and the backstrap done on the M&P. On there facebook page there are some pretty happy customers.

I hope you'll post pics if you have them do that for you. Their Cerkote work caught my eye also. If their work really is good then I might look at having them do a camo pattern on my M&P slide at some point.

SteveL
12-13-11, 17:57
So I rode over and checked out GPI today. I was there probably about 30-45 minutes. It's a small place with a small "store front." I actually passed it and had to turn around to go back to it and there's not much of a place to park. It looks like it's in a building attached to a self-storage facility.

Anyway I spoke to a gentleman named Lee. I asked how long they've been in business and he told me since 2001, and since 2004 at the present location.

I got to see some of their custom stuff, including rifles that they've built/modified in house as well as a few things they've put Cerakote on. I also got to see a couple of Airsoft Glocks they had stippled. I don't know if these were for demo purposes or if they belonged to someone, but I really liked the stippling and it makes me want to do my M&Ps. I liked the Cerakote work, but I must confess I've never seen any other Cerakote work to compare it to. Where camo patterns would transition from one color to another you could feel a ridge when you run your finger over it. I'm guessing this is due to the thickness difference from applying one coat over another.

As far as their ARs go, the two customs he showed me both had reciprocating side charging handles built onto the right side. They like to use billet uppers and lowers and attain a tolerance of 2 1/1000th's of an inch between the upper and lower. It seemed to be important to them to eliminate play between the two, and if I understood him correctly he indicated this improved accuracy. He also stated that the rifles they build have tighter tolerances all around compared to the mil-spec and require a good deal of hand fitting during assembly. The one rifle I held, which had a three position selector and he said was full auto, had an M-4 profile barrel and DI gas system. He stated that a customer could spec out a rifle in pretty much any way they wanted, including different barrel profiles, barrel lengths, DI or piston, etc.

He advised that they had a full machine shop on the premises, and there were times I could hear what sounded like machinery running in back rooms, but I never got to see any of this.

As I was about to leave he gave me a business card and told me that they do transfers for $25. This in particular may be of use to quite a few folks in Jax, as the going rate here to transfer an AR lower (stripped) seems to start around $50 and go up from there.

He also told me that any engraving or Cerakote job usually has about a one week turn around time.

I've attempted to relate my experience with GPI today as it occurred without putting any kind of bias on it. I will leave you to judge for yourself if this is a place you would be interested in doing business with.

bakercountyboy
12-13-11, 19:54
Thanks for posting this steve. I need to stop by there one day for sure.

SteveL
12-13-11, 21:27
Let us know if you do. I would be curious to hear another's impression of them.

IBMer
04-02-14, 23:21
Does anyone have the .com? i had one of their lowers and was very impressed and would like to go back to thier website. thsnks
IBMer

SteveL
04-03-14, 07:01
Does anyone have the .com? i had one of their lowers and was very impressed and would like to go back to thier website. thsnks
IBMer

I just tried their site and apparently it's been pulled. I've heard they're out of business.