PDA

View Full Version : This is not the right way to remove a squib.

Tim McBride
12-12-11, 20:30
Had this come into the shop.
Gun is a Colt HBAR
Guy had a squib at the last 2 inches of the barrel. He attempted to remove it by firing 'several' hundred blanks through the gun.
He then drilled it out. Ruining the end of the barrel.

I pulled the barrel and noticed the throat looked a little worn...
http://www.timandevemcbride.com/images/colthbarte.jpg

Throat erosion gauge bottomed out.

:eek:

Think an excessive amount of blanks could have done it?

IndianaBoy
12-12-11, 21:22
I wish I could say that I was surprised....

But honestly nothing that stupid people does surprises me any more.

I usually nod and think to myself, "That's about right."

bp7178
12-12-11, 21:25
I wonder how many blanks...

I never would have guessed they would do that.

wesprt
12-12-11, 21:25
**** me, people that stupid should not own firearms. :eek:

nimdabew
12-12-11, 22:22
Did you tell him that a 10 dollar cleaning rod could have knocked the bullet out without too much trouble? Please tell me what his face looked like after you told him.

Tim McBride
12-12-11, 22:23
http://www.timandevemcbride.com/images/m4te.jpg

My BCM upper with the same TE gauge

Tim McBride
12-12-11, 22:32
Did you tell him that a 10 dollar cleaning rod could have knocked the bullet out without too much trouble? Please tell me what his face looked like after you told him.

I told him I would have removed it for free. And then told him how much a new Colt Barrel was going to be.
He is good natured about it, didn't mind when I asked if I could post up the picture.

Iraqgunz
12-12-11, 23:36
I would believe any story when it comes to AR's/ firearms and stupidity. People never cease to amaze me. The fact that he could have been hurt as well probably didn't dawn on him either.

VIP3R 237
12-12-11, 23:51
Holy hell... And these kind of people vote and reproduce.

Well at least no one was hurt.

LoboTBL
12-13-11, 00:06
**** me, people that stupid should not own firearms. :eek:

Or breed

Clint
12-13-11, 00:20
That's. just. beautiful.

deadlyfire
12-13-11, 00:23
This is why I order what I can from the internet and minimize my exposure to these circus acts.

bp7178
12-13-11, 00:31
I told him I would have removed it for free. And then told him how much a new Colt Barrel was going to be.
He is good natured about it, didn't mind when I asked if I could post up the picture.

I hope he got the blanks for a good price...

Tweak
12-13-11, 01:33
Well at least no one was hurt.

I don't know about that, I now have a headache.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-13-11, 04:07
Blanks, what a moron. Not enough kinetic energy. He should have used proof rounds to smack the back of that bullet and move it down the barrel.

;)

steelonsteel
12-13-11, 07:12
he probably spent more on teh blanks thann he did on just having a new abrrel installed. Last I checked blanks actually were kind fo expensive!

markm
12-13-11, 07:32
Guns attract retards.

eternal24k
12-13-11, 08:31
Guns attract retards.

unfortunately a very true statement. Those retards then "represent" gun owners in public and the media.

I would love to see this barrel sectioned/cut.

ST911
12-13-11, 09:45
Had this come into the shop.
Gun is a Colt HBAR
Guy had a squib at the last 2 inches of the barrel.

Ammo?

BSWilson
12-13-11, 09:49
Was there any other damage?

I would think that with all the gas being redirected down the gas tube, that the receiver extension & BCG might be worth taking a look at.

steelonsteel
12-13-11, 15:36
Guns attract retards.

I think it's more like reatards are attacted to guns.

Kind of lik bees like honey, but not everythign that likes honey is a bee.

I think Cell phones and driving breed more retards than guns, but thats just my opinion.

Ned Christiansen
12-14-11, 08:47
I can't imagine 100blanks ruining the barrel throat-- you sure there's not something else going on there, like a barrel that's had 100K through it?

markm
12-14-11, 08:51
I think it's more like reatards are attacted to guns.

Agreed. This story is even more troubling in that the goofball could have hopped on any of the gun forums and asked what to do.

Tim McBride
12-14-11, 10:42
I can't imagine 100blanks ruining the barrel throat-- you sure there's not something else going on there, like a barrel that's had 100K through it?

He said the gun has had approximately 3000 rounds through it.
He has access to cases and cases of blanks. I am sure he used more then a hundred.

Really can't think of what else caused this.
I've seen the gun shot before, it was a fairly accurate setup.
The throat reminds me of shotout machine gun barrels I've seen.

Ned Christiansen
12-14-11, 12:29
Sure he didn't drill it from the back end?

eodinert
12-14-11, 17:19
That was my thought. GI parade blanks are not very energetic. The weapon would also be pretty filthy with a large quantity of blanks through it (unless it was cleaned, obviously).

I vote drill/hammer/rod from the back end.

CumbiaDude
12-14-11, 17:52
This story is even more troubling in that the goofball could have hopped on any of the gun forums and asked what to do.Or maybe that's who gave him the idea to begin with...

How's that for troubling?

sonny22
12-14-11, 18:03
Guns attract retards.

Tim McBride
12-17-11, 10:26
Sure he didn't drill it from the back end?

No the round was stuck in the end of the barrel, you can clearly see where he buggered the end of the barrel with the drill.

I know he has access to more blanks then most.

The gun shot well before he did this, I can't help but think 3k rounds of normal shooting prior to this wouldn't have eroded the throat that bad.

usmc1371
12-17-11, 11:37
Atleast he used blanks. This could have gone worse, he could have jacked another round in the chambe and pulled the trigger hoping another bullet would push the stuck bullet out. :blink: