PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on Fenix?

nimslerpon
12-13-11, 10:13
I've had some friends with them and they seem pretty solid.

Hot Sauce
12-13-11, 11:26
I've had a TK-10 for 3-4 years. Solid light, never malfunctions, no complicated modes, simple twist of the bezel changes between the two intensities of light. It's perfect. Maybe a bit weighty if you wanted to mount it on a rifle, but as long as you don't its really nice. Pretty tough too, can't tell you how much abuse it has been through.

nimslerpon
12-13-11, 12:20
Good to know. Looks like I'll save some money on my next flashlight purchase. I'm tired of paying for Surefire. Great lights, but Fenix seems to meet the needs for a lot less. Thanks!

glocktogo
12-13-11, 12:23
They're pretty solid lights, probably the best of the Chinese imports. I have a couple and our office issues them to us. some of their models are a little too "busy" with the various modes. I like one, two modes max. I use an LD-10 as an EDC light.

With that said, all my firearms wear Surefires (as necessary) and I switch to an E2D Defender when going out after dark.

kerplode
12-13-11, 13:58
I have an old L1D that I've been using for an EDC light for several years now. So far, it's been awesome. It's survived being dropped countless times, being submerged, and being just generally mistreated. So far, no issues. It simply works when I need it.

I can't really speak to their newer stuff, but I like my L1D a lot and wouldn't hesitate to buy Fenix lights in the future.

titanse05
12-13-11, 14:20
I currently have two TK12 R5 flashlights and have been completely happy with them. They both see mixed work but get used the most around the house and garage. For the money they can't be beat. I like the reflectors in them because they focus the light into a tight beam which is perfect for spotting at long distances.

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk

nimslerpon
12-13-11, 14:46
Thanks for the input, all. glocktogo, I definitely plan to stick to Surefire for my weapons lights for now.

Dennis
12-14-11, 18:59
Fenix lights are generally high quality with lots of options. Just be sure of what switching/mode options you are getting!

I have several and have had no issues with them other than some models having confusing mode selections. I don't think their designers fully understand "Tactical" although they really try with such a large line of tactical lights!

Olight, Nitecore, & Sunwayman are of typically higher quality with clearer and easier mode selection options.

Dennis.

cabbynate
12-14-11, 19:28
Fenix flashlights are great for the money. Like what has been said just make sure you get what you want in features as they have so many to chose from. I EDC a stainless steal LDO1 and really like it. A single AAA battery in a almost indestructible body with 3 light levels. No to mention it fits in most front coin pockets...

One more thing. All L.E.D emitters are made in China. Even the one's that are in the American made flashlights. The quality of the L.E.D's very though. Fenix L.E.D flashlights are on par with the best American made Flashlights.;)

Vulture38
12-14-11, 19:37
Bought several E21 models. Very good flashlight. I put a penlight one on my wife's keychain and it emits a lot of light.

These are good flashlights.

P2000
12-14-11, 20:18
I just got a 4sevens Quark 123^2 X Tactical for a new EDC flashlight. I am impressed. I have surefires and stremlights too. This one is going in my pocket for a long time. The switching makes sense, and you can program what modes you want. It has the latest and greatest CREE LED, the XML. Look into it, it is pretty darn nice.

ucrt
12-14-11, 20:33

Last year for Christmas, I bought myself and the guys that work for me the LD15, single AA LED light. It is a twist-on/off and several of the guys EDC them. A couple of them (mine included) have proved to be cycle-proof (as in wash cycles :D) and continue to work fine.

Good light for the money that is a handy convenient size.

FWIW - For do or die situations...I go to my SureFire 6P's. I carry the Fenix for convenience.

But maybe it's just me...

2-BPM
12-14-11, 20:46
two deployments with a daily use as a pocket light. lives on my key chain when stateside. I love fenix. I just dont trust it enough to use as a weapon mounted light

TOMTOM
12-14-11, 21:12
I carry a PD30 everyday, and I have a TK11 on my rifle. The TK11 is a good alternative to a surefire for a weaponlight.

The downside is that they're made in China.

chrismartin
12-14-11, 21:35
I have a TK10 and TK11.
Both have been very solid. I use the TK11 with 18650 rechargeable batteries. I use the thing every night walking the dogs and such with it set to "high" and the batteries last a very long time.
I'm very happy with them both.

nimslerpon
12-15-11, 15:17
Thanks for the info gents!

Dionysusigma
12-16-11, 10:15
Been EDCing a P1D-CE for about... four years now. Put it through hell, and the only issue is that the lanyard hole machined into the base ripped out (yes, ripped. I said I put it through hell :D). I never really use the Strobe or SOS modes, either, but they're fun options.

I have no qualms about purchasing another. In fact, been eyeing a Tk21 for a while now.

Vash1023
12-16-11, 13:25
i chose my TK-10 over my old gladius.

almost 3x the output and same level of durability.

only downside is no strobe and less user friendly controls.

but its also half the price.

ra2bach
12-16-11, 14:58
i chose my TK-10 over my old gladius.

almost 3x the output and same level of durability.

only downside is no strobe and less user friendly controls.

but its also half the price.

I wouldn't consider the lack of strobe a downside...

ruchik
12-16-11, 18:28
I EDC a PD30, day in and day out. Great, durable light with lots of different light modes. Bought it from LAPoliceGear, it came with 4 batteries and an accessory kit at the time. I believe I will be changing it though for something less complicated. At times, it gets kind of annoying when you want a specific brightness setting and have to cycle through the modes to get to it every time you leave the light off for more than 2 seconds. But otherwise, great value for your money.

Bimmer
12-18-11, 13:53
What they all said...

I bought a L2T a couple years ago. I carry it every day, and I use it as a bike light.

It's so foolproof and bulletproof that I bought one for my mother.

I now have an E21, too. I like it so much I bought three more (another for me, and two gifts).

FWIW, I have a Streamlight TLR-1 on each of my bump-in-the-night guns, but my Fenix lights are just about as bright.

maximus83
12-18-11, 16:35
I have a couple of them: the PD20 (runs on a single CR123a), and the LD20 (x2 AA batteries). Both are outstanding in brightness, features, and reliability. Both have been dropped on hard surfaces multiple times and do not break. The PD20 has been used repeatedly in the rain and the damp, humid Pacific NW air, and no problems with moisture damage or infiltration.

As others have said: I like using these Fenix lights for EDC and pocket carry and around the house. They seem like great value and performance for the price, and they are light and compcat. However, for weapon lights, I still stick with Surefire (G2z) and Streamlight (TLR1).

TRUST8383
12-19-11, 18:24
I have surefire, streamlight and fenix lights. For what it's worth, I think the performance of the fenix lights either matches or surpasses all my other lights in performance and features. If you add in the factor of value per dollar. It's no contest. Fenix is good to go.

As of right now, my current EDC rotation is between a Fenix PD31, PD20 and PD10. All are running on rechargeable batteries. I also use a Fenix TK12. They are all awesome lights.

sadmin
12-19-11, 18:43
I've had the PD20 R5 in a Gear Sector mount for around 5000 rounds, some 500 In a day instances. No issues, and that gun has been dropped, slid around in a truck bed and wet... I'm happy with it.

Of course I wish it was single output, but it's locked on medium with a double press being strobe.. Multi output is the only thing that sucks.

Shoot 1st
12-22-11, 18:13
I have 6 fenix lights, 2 of which were free just because they are awesome and sent them to me.

All work, no problems, bright. G2G

luvmy40
12-22-11, 22:44
I've had the PD31 for a a while and liked it a lot.
I just picked up the PD32 and have to say it is head and shoulders above the 31. I read a review somewhere that that downplayed the front selector switch but I think that it is the best feature of this light. It is basically a single mode light from the rear mounted forward clicky and multi mode with the forward selector.

Set it to the mode you want as your default(I leave mine at the "moonlight" setting) and with a couple of light finger presses on the selector you can switch through all of the options. The two strobe features are "hidden" and selected by a long press for strobe and a longer press for SOS and it defaults back to the last selected standard mode when turned off from a strobe mode.

IMHO a very well thought out light at a great price for the features. I would prefer that it was American made but I haven't seen anything from an American company that is even close.

Kain
12-26-11, 16:01
I've got a TK10, had it for a few years, for the money its really hard to beat, personally prefer it over my friend's G2, except for the weight, but is at least as durable and brighter as well. Not as many accessories, but from my personal experience I wouldn't find it to be a bad weapon light, no first choice, but not a bad choice for the cash. I'll likely buy more, and I agree that the ones with two modes are the best choices.

jamesbern
12-28-11, 18:32
Same consensus here. I EDC a PD31 and love it. I have one mounted on my AR and gave one to my dad for his birthday too.

camoman
12-29-11, 11:27
I agree that they are very good lights for the money. I have had a TA21 for a few years....and its built like a tank. I personally like my Olights much better though. They are modular...so future upgrades are easy. Fenix lights on the other hand are not. I pulled my TA21 apart once out of curiosity...and I ended up having to re-solder the leads...it was never meant to come apart.

grunz
12-30-11, 17:45
I've had a TK11R2 mounted on my AR for about 2 years. Its bright and I had no issues with it through several thousand rounds in training classes, 3 gun and range trips.

Azpilot
12-31-11, 12:10
I've used a TK11 at work for a couple of years, with 18650 rechargeables. The light itself is pretty decent. However, the tailcap clicky has gone south, which is apparently a somewhat common problem. Parts are a bit difficult to find, as they must be ordered from the 'net...dealers don't seem to carry much Fenix stuff beyond the lights themselves.

Dennis
12-31-11, 15:24
I've used a TK11 at work for a couple of years, with 18650 rechargeables. The light itself is pretty decent. However, the tailcap clicky has gone south, which is apparently a somewhat common problem. Parts are a bit difficult to find, as they must be ordered from the 'net...dealers don't seem to carry much Fenix stuff beyond the lights themselves.

You may have already done this, but have you tried tightening the ring with two holes inside the tailcap? This usually loosens and is the primary problem with most Fenix/Olight/Sunwayman and other tailcaps.

Otherwise, if the rubber is worn or the switch assembly itself is broken then it is harder to get a replacement than from a US based company. However, the various strong online retailers should be able to help you. I like these two:

www.batteryjunction.com
www.lighthound.com

Dennis.

blouzbee
01-01-12, 20:13
i absolutely love mine. own 2

Blowby
01-01-12, 22:04
I picked up a TK11 a few years ago and use it all the time with 18650 rechargeable batteries. Never had a problem and the battery lasted longer than I thought it would so I always swapped out with a fresh one every 3 months. I have not run a battery down yet so the light uses juice sparingly. I liked the product so I purchased another TK15 and a TA20 as well last July.

calicojack
01-08-12, 15:32
I have a fenix tk11 on my ar. i have a surefire g2 on my ak. i'll be replacing the surefire, with another fenix,

trinydex
01-08-12, 16:26
i have a few fenix lights. they're the only non-surefire lights i buy.

one criticism i have of the fenix tk11 is that it is not tail stand ready. you have to put some hose on the end of it to tail stand or some other mod.

tail stand in itself isn't the real issue, the issue is accidental discharge when it's on your belt when you carry lens down or when the light is floating in your backpack or luggage. a tail stand cap would solve this.

other operational fixes are to unscrew the tail cap slightly when you travel or when it's on belt during day time, but this may mean when you need it quickly you have to both do a twist and a button mash... not ideal.

SgtSabre
01-09-12, 03:25
I thought my Fenix TK11 was the tits, until the switch broke :cray:

It turns out there is a tiny plastic peg in the switch that is about 0.5mm in diameter. This peg centers a spring that is required for the switch to make contact when the button is depressed. When (not IF, but WHEN) this tiny, fragile piece of plastic breaks, the spring is no longer centered, the switch no longer works, and the light is worthless.

Fenix directed me to the distributor from whom I bought the light. The distributor said this is common, and he gets replacement switches from Fenix for no cost because of it. He sent me two for free. Even so, I can't trust this light ever again if the difference between it turning on and not might make the difference between life and death. I still carry it on duty as a police officer, but I don't usually use it as a primary light anymore. The pressure switch might make the above point moot, but I put a Surefire G2 I had lying around on my rifle so I probably won't ever see the Fenix pressure switch.

A quick Google search will turn up a lot of Fenix switch failures. It's a weak link in an otherwise awesome light. I wish Fenix would fix this. It's silly to hinge the operation of such a good light on a tiny, pathetic piece of plastic.

trinydex
01-09-12, 23:36
can it be replaced with a piece of metal? or is the conductivity bad for that region of the light?

MJLman
01-09-12, 23:54
I had a TK 11. It was legit, but I traded it for a surefire centurion. Battery efficient, heavy, strike bezel was cool, would buy again.

SgtSabre
01-10-12, 02:30
can it be replaced with a piece of metal? or is the conductivity bad for that region of the light?

I don't see how the end-user could modify the light in this manner. I don't know a lot about circuitry, so I'm not sure if just making this small post metal would interfere with the operation of the light. Whether it would or not, I don't think Fenix will change the design of the switch since they are selling boat loads of these lights with the cheap, junky switch.

trinydex
01-10-12, 02:48
I dont see them changing either... Hence the user would have to figure a fix... I guess that fix is goin to surefire.

calicojack
01-10-12, 16:57
edit: see military times rebuttal at bottom

Dennis
01-10-12, 17:22
I thought my Fenix TK11 was the tits, until the switch broke :cray:

It turns out there is a tiny plastic peg in the switch that is about 0.5mm in diameter. This peg centers a spring that is required for the switch to make contact when the button is depressed. When (not IF, but WHEN) this tiny, fragile piece of plastic breaks, the spring is no longer centered, the switch no longer works, and the light is worthless.

In fact, all clickies are notoriously unreliable (in the flashlight geek community) as compared to twisty switches. There are many instances as well of Surefire clickies breaking under heavy use and I had one that completely popped apart under light use. There is a product improved version of SF switch called the McClicky which everyone thinks is the best version of a clicky. The feel is adjustable thru different rubber switch densities and it is retrofittable into SF twisty tailcaps.

http://www.oveready.com/surefire-upgrades/torchlab-mcclicky-self-installation-clicky-kit-for-surefirea-/prod_23.html

As usual, a problem that most users will never see but that's why I keep extra tailcaps/lights available! Two is one...

Dennis.

trinydex
01-10-12, 19:26
sure if you have no quams with trappling our constitutional rights....

didn't they say they supported the funding portion of that bill?

calicojack
01-10-12, 20:12
from what ive read they contributed funds to lobby to have it passed.

eta links;
bill as it was passed; note it's HR1540 (http://www.rules.house.gov/Media/file/PDF_112_1/legislativetext/HR1540conf.pdf)
Surefire pays for lobbying efforts (http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/clientbills.php?id=D000046040&year=2011) for the sum of $93000

trinydex
01-11-12, 03:37
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2011/12/23/gear-companies-dragged-into-civil-liberity-politics/

calicojack
01-11-12, 07:28
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2011/12/23/gear-companies-dragged-into-civil-liberity-politics/

very well written. i was not aware of that rebuttal. and shall edit above posts

ricksterr
02-07-12, 00:09
The only bad experience I've had with Fenix is that my PD20's low mode stopped working. Ever since I've used a TK11 and PD30 and I've never had any problems with them (I've used the TK11 mounted on an AR without a problem)

Fidalgoman
02-07-12, 01:10
I EDC an LD-20 wanting to keep it AA batteries rather than the more costlier form factor. So far so good though I don't think I'd use it as a weapon mount. I say this only because Fenix competes dollar and performance wise with a lot of me too's. Many of which are good.

Looking at the price, Surefire isn't in the same lineup. Are the Surefires spendy? Yup, but a lot of tactical operators swear by them. For my on body carry I've been very pleased with my LD-20.

HKUSP.40
02-11-12, 14:03
I carry a TK12 R5 as my backup light on duty. Works great! Super bright. I paid $47 brand new on one of those one deal a day websites. Just caught it at the right time.

mercop
02-12-12, 15:10
Goof lights

Chowser
02-17-12, 23:08
i was carrying a fenix pd30 at work for awhile and a 4sevens mini quark123 off duty. great lights, but someone had a $50 xmas sale on OLight's M20 Warrior light so I bought a few.

Best light i've found for on duty use. high bright setting for about 4 hours on one charge. strobe if i need it to land spaceships, low mode for using inside the patrol car, but i mainly leave it in high mode.

i put one in my personal car and one in my wife's car and one in the garage, and another one in the nightstand. i gave my old streamlight strion hp to my daughter, she's got it hooked up to her nightstand.

my 5 yr old has my fenix now.
i gave my old fenix p1 to a coworker.