PDA

View Full Version : Barrel for 300 BLK?

fixit69
12-13-11, 11:43
Well, I have decided to get into the 300BLK. This is going to be a supressed 11.5" upper, mainly for deer hunting at close range(less than 80 yards). I have researched till my eyes hurt, so would like input from anyone who has done the same project. This is what I have so far:

BCM flat top stripped upper
Leupold Variax III in an A.R.M.S QD mount
CMT bolt carrier group
MOE hand guard
AAC 7.62 QD
AAC Blackout

My main question(any input will be much appreiciated) is which barrel and manufacturer would be best for this application. Everyone is back ordered so I've got time to wait(SBR papers are going to take a while too). I'm going to need a fairly accurate barrel and I hear great things about White Oak, Noveske, ss, 4140, etc... So, let me hear about your choice, experiences and opinions.

rsilvers
12-13-11, 11:48
Noveske has a 10ish and AAC has a 12.5.

Todd.K
12-13-11, 11:59
The only problem I see is your handguard. A short 300 BLK will have a pistol length gas system so it won't come with a fixed front sight that will work with your MOE handguard.

LMTRocks
12-15-11, 03:40
OP: As much as you'd like to have the MOE, just put a Troy TRX 7.2/7.6/9/11 over this barrel:

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=b-12-300&cat=168&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=

http://noveskerifleworks.com/imimg/b-12-300_1.jpg

Build your lower into a pistol for the interim while you're waiting 150d to get the SBR and silencer stamps back. This will give you time to run it and figure out what possible problems might arise, and also have fun should everything go smoothly. Sounds like you have a nice build planned.

Alternatively, Todd, could your 14.5" carbine 300blk barrel be setup for a HG cap? I'm pretty sure I've read you saying the gas block is designed to go to the shoulder and not leave room for a cap.

fixit69
12-15-11, 09:48
Thanks for the input gents.

First off, rsilvers, an inch or two would not make a difference in my application, just dont want to go over 12.5". Want to keep it short as possible, yet give me enough to take deer at close range.

Todd K, I have a few choices for hand guards, but wanted to keep the rifle as light as possible. I like the barrel LMTrocks is showing. Do you have any idea on how long back order is on it?

LMT, what about a 10" DD Lite, a 9" DD Omega or Troy (I'm guessing 10" or 11", its the rail I took off an MandP15T). Trying to use the parts I have on hand rather than buying more. I also like the sleek look where the can fits in or buts up to the rail. Didnt I read it's about an 1-1 1/2" difference between barrel and rail to achieve this look?

dennisuello
12-15-11, 10:02
Wilson Combat has a 11.3" barrel. That's what I'm going to use on my build, with 11" TRX Extreme (I already have it, we'll see how it works out, I might switch to 9" version).

wahoo95
12-15-11, 10:46
I ordered the 11.3" from Wilson Combat....going with the Centurion 10" Handguard.

Todd.K
12-15-11, 12:45
Do you have any idea on how long back order is on it?

I also like the sleek look where the can fits in or buts up to the rail. Didnt I read it's about an 1-1 1/2" difference between barrel and rail to achieve this look?

We have 8", 10", 12" barrels in stock.

I'd choose based on the handguard length you prefer. You need at least 1" for the threads and mount, so those barrel lengths above are designed for a 7", 9", or 11" handguard as they go up.

The AAC 9" upper has an 8" handguard.

BradL45
12-15-11, 15:18
I'm trending toward barrels with the Nitride finish, vs Chrome lining. AAC has barrels with this finish, as does CMMG. I've heard that AAC has a different Process that does less damage to the base metal, but I haven't researched it yet(does anyone know).

SS still make for a GREAT barrel, and has many good properties.

LMTRocks
12-15-11, 18:23
If it were me:
I'd sell the MP15T rail (should be 10") and put a Troy VTAC or Extreme on the upper. The 11" TRX is a nice looking setup on a 12" barrel as I built a TRX Vtac 11 on a 12" SS 6.8 from Wilson Combat and about 1/4" of barrel was showing before the suppressor mount. An 11.5" bbl would put the flats of the muzzle device under the rail and I don't think you'd be able to put your can on it.

Since you're wanting to keep the Troy 10" rail I'd still get the Noveske barrel. You can save a little bit of $$ on the WC 11.3 but you'd still be $30+ into a gas block, then a tube, and it still wouldn't be pinned on.

Given the opportunity I'd put a DDMK18RIS on the Noveske barrel if you had one but I also think the Lite rail would work very well.

Now go order that barrel from NRW.

st1650
12-15-11, 18:48
Noveske 10" all the way for a suppressed hunting/SBR setup.
Just sell your MOE and add a TRX-E 9" and some IWC handstop+sling mounts and Vickers or Ares 2pt sling and whammo, best hunting rig around.

Barnes 300blk 110gr will expand at 80yrds out of a 10 incher. And Noveske makes one of the best stainless barrel out there.

fixit69
12-16-11, 13:08
Thanks everyone. This is why I enjoy being a m4c member. Helpful, knowledgeable people, who really give you a good start in the right direction. I have decided on Noveske SS.

Ok a couple more questions, and I'll leave everyone alone for the moment:

Anybody, I'm thinking either 9" Omega with 10" Noveske, or 10" lite with 12" Noveske. With suppressor attached, anyone have any pics or know where some may be?

Anybody, will 300blk will expand and keep energy that much better out of a 12" opposed to a 10"? I've looked at ballistics, just would like a real world, "I've used that and I know...". Would really like to strech out to 100 yards but I want humane kills. I'm really leaning towards 10", but...

LMTrocks, do you not think the DD 9"omega would be a good choice for the 10" noveske? And why?
Also, it's not that I don't want to sell the 10" Troy, I have it on a DD14.5 barrel BCM upper m4 clone with longer a2 birdcage I built. I run the holy hell out of that thing in f/a, and now I want to put an 11" BCM on it. But that's another project. I want the hunting upper first.

LMTRocks
12-16-11, 15:43
Fixit:
Regarding the Omega 9---if it's the original version which requires a barrel nut and delta pack to install, I wouldn't. If you have a barrel nut and delta pack already put together and ready for the Omega, go for it. If you have that forearm and it's not being used, run it. I wasn't aware that the Troy MRF was on another weapon. Since it's there, and you like it, run it my friend.

The reason I've not mentioned it is simply due to my own preferences in not wanting quads on a gun anymore unless I decide to do a MK18RISII clone in 300BLK. If you have the Omega X 9 it would be a perfect addition to the Noveske barrel as the barrel nut doesn't time to a gas tube and you can hit your torque spec without having to crank or be loose. The Daniel Defense MFR is also this way and I'm very much enjoying it on my 10.5" SBR upper since I may be one of a handful of shooters with it on a barrel that short :D

I think the 10" barrel and 9" forearm or 12" barrel and 10" Lite would both be a worthy combination for hunting and subsonic rounds. As far as pictures depicting the combination it is a crap shoot. A majority of the 10-10.5" barrels I see are running Troy TRX 9s although a handful of them I've seen are using the MK18RIS rail from Daniel Defense.

Thanks everyone. This is why I enjoy being a m4c member. Helpful, knowledgeable people, who really give you a good start in the right direction. I have decided on Noveske SS.

Ok a couple more questions, and I'll leave everyone alone for the moment:

Anybody, I'm thinking either 9" Omega with 10" Noveske, or 10" lite with 12" Noveske. With suppressor attached, anyone have any pics or know where some may be?

Anybody, will 300blk will expand and keep energy that much better out of a 12" opposed to a 10"? I've looked at ballistics, just would like a real world, "I've used that and I know...". Would really like to strech out to 100 yards but I want humane kills. I'm really leaning towards 10", but...

LMTrocks, do you not think the DD 9"omega would be a good choice for the 10" noveske? And why?
Also, it's not that I don't want to sell the 10" Troy, I have it on a DD14.5 barrel BCM upper m4 clone with longer a2 birdcage I built. I run the holy hell out of that thing in f/a, and now I want to put an 11" BCM on it. But that's another project. I want the hunting upper first.

blasternank
12-16-11, 21:44
I don't know what their lead time is but Delta Company Arms has great barrels for the blackout. Accurate and good pricing.

wahoo95
12-16-11, 22:42
The Delta Arms barrels are very nice....and priced right but the lead time is +6 weeks from what I was told. I ordered a 11.3" Wilson Combat earlier this week and already have it in hand.

fixit69
12-16-11, 22:58
LMT,

I run the DD Omega 9" on a adams arms piston setup( yea, flame me but it runs like a raped ape). I actually run it on the barrel nut no delta ring. Is that strange? Hey, it works for me. Try it, it's an odd look, bit I think it's ok. And that's what counts, far as I'm concerned. Thanks for taking the time to give me your opinion.

LMTRocks
12-17-11, 01:15
No problem fixit. Good luck sir.

blasternank
12-17-11, 10:34
The Delta Arms barrels are very nice....and priced right but the lead time is +6 weeks from what I was told. I ordered a 11.3" Wilson Combat earlier this week and already have it in hand.

I didn't realized they were still that backed up.

rezin23
12-17-11, 17:34
Go with the Noveske, and don't look back. They have the best 300 AAC barrel on the market.