PDA

View Full Version : Accredited Instructors?

AngeredKabar
12-13-11, 13:52
First off if the answer to my question is hanging around the front page and search results I'm going to apologize right now; I was too impatient to dig deeper.

I've been really thinking about receiving GOOD defensive handgun training recently.

Most of the training centers and instructors I've researched require a very basic introductory class before they'll let me enroll in the more serious classes. They do offer this introductory class but generally don't require it be taken from them, instead mentioning something about previous training from an "Accredited Instructor" satisfying that requirement.

My problem is if I take that class from them, it would mean I would have to travel up to a thousand miles one way for an eight hour class. The cost of the class it's self is very comparable to similar classes offered locally, but I'm not sure if the local classes would satisfy the requirement. Basically would the introductory class prerequisite be satisfied with a training class taught by an NRA certified instructor?

12-13-11, 15:42
Going to depend upon from whom you want to take a class. Simply being an NRA certified instructor may not be good enough since the quality varies widely. However, if you do take one from a Tier 1 outfit, there are no issues. I would search TigerSwan, Kyle Defoor, Kyle Lamb, LAV, EAG, Magpul, Trident Concepts, CSAT, Jason Falla, and USTC schedules to see when one will be somewhat in your area. A class from one of these will be accepted by any of the others, and should be accepted by anyone that is familiar with their credentials.

12-13-11, 15:54
5-17-12: Maryville, IL, around 4hrs. from KC. TAPS with Pat Mcnamara. I would call and ask if you could get in. Not a beginner course, but the right attitude goes a long way in making it in classes. The class may cover beginner material at first, which may be your saving grace. Call up(with positive attitude that you can handle it-if you think it is so) and see what they say. If you call up whining about how you are not sure if you are ready, etc., etc., you def. won't get in.

Ty_B
12-14-11, 18:46
If you're talking about the intermediate or advanced classes that require a basic class first, they do not mean NRA Basic Pistol. They mean a legit basic level class from a decent instructor. NRA Basic Pistol does not really teach you how to shoot, it's more of an introduction to a pistol on the most basic level that you could imagine. Other than the NRA and LAV, I don't know of anyone who "accredits" instructors, so I don't know what that means.

I tried to go to the best instructors I could find for my basic classes because I wanted to have a good base an not learn & practice bad habbits. What I'm saying is, I didn't want to go to some local guy just so I could go to the 'good instructors' more advanced classes.

John Hearne
12-20-11, 20:49
Most places are going to want you to be able to do the following SAFELY:

Demonstrate fundamentals of marksmanship
Present quickly from the holster
Reload (Emergency and/or speed and/or "tactical")
Clear malfunctions

You don't have to be the best at these things but you should have been exposed to these concepts.

Different schools have different people they recognize as accredited. Its typically because they know the instructor personally and/or have seen their students. Just ask and most will tell you who they accept.

nickdrak
12-20-11, 21:19
I think jumping into a Pat McNamara or Defoor class as your first formal training class would end up as an exersize in frustration for you. You would be in way over your head.

Search for local instructors that offer a level 1/fundamentals based course.

I believe there is a VSM (Vickers Shooting Method) regional instructor that might be local enough for you to train with.

mpd046
12-21-11, 07:11
5-17-12: Maryville, IL, around 4hrs. from KC. TAPS with Pat Mcnamara. I would call and ask if you could get in. Not a beginner course, but the right attitude goes a long way in making it in classes. The class may cover beginner material at first, which may be your saving grace. Call up(with positive attitude that you can handle it-if you think it is so) and see what they say. If you call up whining about how you are not sure if you are ready, etc., etc., you def. won't get in.

I'm the local contact for the Pat Mcnamara class here in Maryville. I had somebody else ask questions similar to the original post. I emailed Pat about any requirements or pre-reqs. Here is his response.

"No worries.
No pre-requisites necessary. I will tailor the training to the individual's needs.
Mac"

If your interested there are still slots available. If you have any questions let me know.

http://store.greygrouptraining.com/2-DAY-T.A.P.S.-18202.html

Matt